Member-Run Project The Fallen Star Bestiary

Pixel

Terrarian
1ydT7De.png

divider.png

Guide.png

divider.png

Hello, this a presentation by @Pixel and @Teal with the co-writing talents of @TheGoldenHawkster , @TheQuietBisharp , @Commander Crocket , @Samrux , @Darkwraith332 , @Shadow gamer and @The Magic Cookie , bringing you a literature project we've been laboriously working on for a while now as a group. We present you The Fallen Star, our very own bestiary that brings facts and fictional additions all in one tightly knit warm blanket, for you and your literature enthusiasm to snuggle up with. And of course, adding that special hint of classic and enjoyable humour. For those who miss Terraria Knowledge, you'll have a little bit of that, too. It isn't just any normal bestiary, we'll also talk to you through the different aspects of a certain creature, taming it if need be done, and so on. (like which handbag goes best with your cute flying eyeballs of mass destruction).

divider.png

Green_Slime.png
Book.png

divider.png

Entry 1: Slimes (Slimus Annoyus)

index.php

The slime, of the Goop genus, is a common oddity in the Terraria realm. They are unrelenting bastards, or otherwise referred to as "kill the damn thing now before I lose my temper." Slimes over time have evolved into different variations and stages of biological advancement, this can include even the slightest of colour modification, to abnormal growth increase, to movement and combat pattern changes. Due to this factor we see many different variants of this creature but by far the most common is the traditional slime. A ball of persistent green goo. Many have fathomed about the composition of the slime but from general analysis it is concluded that the gelatinous origins of this creature are derived from passive critters, changed naturally; through adaptation and alimentation.

Slimes move in a strange pattern, often taking a small bit to move onto the next jump. There's actually a proper explanation to this, which ties into their breathing pattern. Their body of gel often moves around and messes up with their internal system, which manages to block up the respiratory organs. Whenever the slime breathes in, however, this clears up space to generate energy. So each time they jump, they need time to breathe in air, which will then, in turn, allow them to generate enough energy to jump. Because of said reason, the slime is considerably weak if not taking caution when moving. If the respiratory organs of a slime weren't blocked, their movement would be, in contrary, versatile and their attack would be doubled, if not, tripled. Many slimes have modified to in part solve this problem, and so are very dangerous.

Many categorical traits affect the outcome of the slimes color. This includes their dwelling, genetic hardening, and geographical climate. The main determining factors are habitat and environment. Luckily for that aforementioned reason, we can effectively determine these specifics just by color. The resulting green of the common slime is due to it's prey. One of the few wholly carnivorous slimes, the common slime's diet consists of passive critters. These critters feed on grass and many other plant substance. So the colour is a result of flora consumed by it's prey. Many other slime's colours are determined by similar environmental patterns.

divider.png

Green_Slime.png
Honeyed_Goggles.png

divider.png

Locating and Tracking:

Slimes, of course, are prevalent just about anywhere, so locating and tracking these creatures should be easy. However, there's always a twist to the story. Whilst some slimes may be passive and friendly, others will automatically be provoked at first sight. This is why locating and tracking can be difficult, because the creatures that are necessary to locate aren't going to obey at first command. All in all; the searching part for these balls of goo does have tie-ins with taming, but isn't as important.

Certain biomes contain different slimes, so travelling and venturing off to that specific biome is required, at least to find the correct type. This isn't necessarily a difficult task, but it's obligatory to know what might or might not happen in order to be successful. The colour and type of slime is determined by many factors, which should already be set in mind beforehand. There's also that, to keep in mind, whilst finding the slime can prove easy, having to keep prepared in case anything goes wrong is advised. Knowledge of the slime concerned is required before further advancing, due to the unpredictable outcomes of what just might happen next.

divider.png

Green_Slime.png
Heart.png

divider.png

Taming:

Pacifying these beasts is no simple task. The rugged, wild, and uncultured nature of any Terrarainly animal makes it difficult. First there is the work needed to locate and identify the type of slime aimed to catch. It is advised to always start small, so go for a lesser creature of small endurance. Once identified and located, it is required to study its behavioral patterns. Findings have led to specific slimes being easier to catch whilst eating. The common green slime prefers to eat small critters, but diets vary between types. Applying weight on the creature's top side allows no damage done to the beast but hinders it from moving. The pressure dealt collapses the respiratory system partially and renders the monster motionless. Of course the practicality of that method is limited and dangerous. Darts can prove a more feasible solution in said matter. A concoction of cobwebs and moonglow creates a power alchemical mixture for immobilizing slimes.

The moonglow serves as an agent to act as a catalyst and creates a chemical reaction when the mixture enters the body. When the ingredients come in contact with the slime's body the moonglow causes the cobweb to dissolve and enter the digestive system. It cannot be digested by the slime and its organs go into overdrive. The heart rate spikes and the lungs seize making for a simple capture.

However, there are also other means of incapacitation, it doesn't just end there. Yes, other concoctions involving alchemical plants do exist, but tends to work in the same way, just a little less effectively. This leads to the musical side of things. Low notes of the Harp can and will actually drop the slime into a state of sleepiness and render the slime stationary until you use methods of taming. If played at higher notes, the slime can fall into complete unconsciousness, too.

Once the sedation, or other methodical ways of immobilizing the slime, have been put to use, there's now the slime's love; its trust (and the key to its heart). This is something that is most definitely needed, to advance further. Feeding, amongst other motherly acts form a parental bond. Simple creatures like slimes are highly inclined to accept imprinting. That should cover most of the work on properly taming the creature, there isn't all that much else required, due to the slime's lesser resistance.

divider.png

Green_Slime.png
Iron_Broadsword.png

divider.png

Combat:

Agile, small, and mostly hostile slimes can prove a cunning foe in battle for those unprepared. Movement patterns have been studied extensively, armed with knowledge of these patterns we can be well equipped to face these opponents in fight. Going back to the movement pattern of a slime, if well trained, slimes can develop new combat methods and manoeuvres to further enhance their capability when it comes to fighting. This, of course, means modifying the respiratory organs inside a slime's gelatinous body beforehand. But that's something that most people never venture into.

Slimes have the remarkable and rather dangerous ability to assimilate with their environment and modify into the most desirable features of it. For example, the slimes of the glacial areas are far denser, larger and tougher to kill than most common green slimes as they have developed a genetic immunity to the cold weather and by that means have accumulated denser skin. As slimes age, they actually become more powerful, and the pigments within them become brighter as they have more sunlight exposure. However, underground slimes are so devoid of light that their once vibrant colors have deteriorated. Their vision glands have entirely dissipated so they rely on extremely honed sonar and scent making them much more receptive than a regular slime.

divider.png

Green_Slime.png
Sashimi.png

divider.png

Habitat and Alimentation:

Slimes spawn in biomes, that is correct, but it doesn't just stop there. There are important conditions that determine whether the slime can survive or not. If tamed, this can still be followed. To start, most importantly, the slimes will definitely need an area of inhabitation where there is air. If air can't reach their respiratory system, there's no hope of functionality. That's not all however. After having lived, developed, and later evolved in their respectful biomes, slimes are adapted to the air inside one particular biome, if not more. This means that if they are to continue surviving, they'll either need to adapt pretty quickly to a different biome, or stay in that select one.

The temperature of biomes differ, which should already be obvious. Low temperature areas like the Corruption and the Ice will get beyond freezing point if not careful. Then there are places like the Underworld and plain Forests, which will instead be warm, or melt all skin off a creature or player, that is. Temperature is a factor important to keep in mind when it comes to the slime's lifestyle and survival.

Onto alimentation and eating, now. Slimes, whilst following a relatively plain diet, can at times be mixed quite a bit. This is the strange part about different types of slimes, and is important to have right for the slime to survive. Again, this food correlates with the biome in which the specific slime lives in. Going back to the adaptation of the slime's internal system, after time this too has been adapted to. Lava slimes will find it difficult to change to a diet based on small critters and nutritious earth.

Most slimes just eat anything they see in sight that lives in their biome, and that they are experienced with. Critters are an important and easy source of food, if the slime doesn't get a good kill in, that is. This means that not only does it kill other animals to feast on, whilst there are also other sources of alimentation, they might even go against 'protocol' and provoke a creature of their own, respectful biome. Sometimes, this can lead to heated fights. However, they aren't simply restricted to their own kind, there is also the grass to feed on, but caution is always taken, as if a slime eats without knowledge of quite what, they might end up digesting a plant which they have an allergic reaction to.

Ag6Yhot.png

Last edited:
divider.png

Book.png

divider.png

Entry Links:

Entry 2: Demon Eyes

Entry 3: Harpies

Entry 4: Eater of Worlds

Entry 5: Giant Tortoises

Entry 6: Spiders

Entry 7: Jellyfish

Entry 8: Worms

Entry 9: ???

Entry 10: ???

Entry 11: ???

Entry 12: ???

divider.png

Anomaly.png

divider.png

FAQ:

Q: Can I request a mob to be entered into the bestiary?

A: Yes, if the mob concerned has enough factual information that we can base our work on. To add, it'll have to be a creature that we have not yet worked on.

Q: Can I join you?

A: Filling an application form is required and then on PM'd to either @Pixel or @Teal . This does not necessarily mean you will directly join our project, but we will consider your application nonetheless.

Q: Can I help with some art?

A: The art policy tells you about this, which should be located in this same post.

Q: When do you update this thread with new entries? And what are the editing processes?

A: A bestiary entry, due to our quantity of members, should normally be finished and ready for editing in one to two days. After being edited and improved, Pixel will format the entry and have it posted, and then on linked to the main thread. This means that entry updates are relatively frequent, early as a single day, to a late three days.

divider.png

Bug.png

divider.png

Subscribed Member List:

@Shadow ,
@Ginnoken ,
@Vikri ,
@The Flaming Crown ,
@Typhoon ,
@Darkness Wizard ,
@TheQuietBisharp ,
@ShadeDragon ,
@Lord Llama ,
@Shadow gamer ,
@cultist unhooded ,
@Agent Zero ,
@Kielbasa,

Count: 13.

divider.png

First_Encounter.png

divider.png

Art Policy:

As many of you know there are tons of fantastic artists sprouting left right and center here on these forums. We'd love to acquire some of this art and delicately slather it on our thread. If you're interested in making art for what is currently already produced go ahead and do so. We will gladly incorporate it into the thread and give you credit. Just send it to @Teal via PM. If you'd like to do some art for what is in the works get in contact with either @Teal or group leader @Pixel and we'll happily go over that with you. We're interested in everything from pixel art to hand drawn.

divider.png

Cobalt_Shield.png

divider.png

Application Policy:

So much awesome feedback being tossed around. Lots of people displaying interest in writing. We'd love to have some fresh faces around here and as such we do take applications. We are team of six writers and we enjoy working together but we aren't opposed to new members. Send applications with samples of your work to @Pixel or @Teal 's inbox if you're interested in becoming a writer. We'd like something original please. Douse your writing talents all over our writing biscuit.

divider.png

Tango_Tick1.png

divider.png

Credits:

- Massive thanks to @Shadow for the banner. This artist has done many-a banner for Pixel, and here he's done it again. Very nice work, and we're all grateful to have had him spend his time working with us on makin this masterpiece.

- Huge thanks to @Molos Elethros , a great friend of ours and incredibly good spriter of the forums. Well done for spriting, and continuing to, the text for each entry, to add that missing 'pizzazz'.

- And also a great thanks and hug to the wonderful team working on this bestiary.

- How could we forget? The community deserves a large and shiny thanks from us as a team for the continous support, appreciation, and recognition given to us lot.

- @Vikri for a beautiful, pixelated banner to fit nicely with the frequent bestiary entries. Great work and thank you very much.

- A large thanks to @Flor3nce2456 for the new dividers and banner, allowing the new format to run well and look absolutely great. Seriously good job.

divider.png

Tombstone.png

divider.png

News and Milestones:

03/15/15: The second edition, an edition posted by Teal, is out. The first ever that has not come as part of the main thread. This time, it's all you need to know about Demon Eyes.

03/15/15:
Already 50 replies and counting on the main thread, which is quite an achievement for a thread made recently at time of this update. Writers are appreciative of this support and feedback.

03/16/15:
500 views and counting, at the early stages of this thread. Definitely a great milestone to look back on, and see as a sign of a job well done. There is hope that this success will continue.

03/17/15: The third entry, posted by Pixel, has been completed with a refreshing format and great writing from the team. This time on the flying menaces -- Harpies.

03/17/15: Both 100 replies and 1000 views at the same time, a tremendous achievement for the folks working and spending time to write for The Fallen Star Bestiary.

03/19/15: Samrux, relatively well known member of our large community, has teamed up with the Bestiary team and is now working with them on entries.

03/21/15: Teal has posted the fourth entry, this time covering the Corruption's boss: The Eater of Worlds. New member Samrux has done incredibly well for his first bit of work and contribution.

03/22/15: Member Darkwraith332 has joind the Bestiary ranks an will be working with the team on the coming entries. Congratulations to him.

03/23/15: Two members, The Magic Cookie and TheQuietBisharp have joined after sending the team two great applicants. This also comes with the departure of SilverHexxitFights, and chance of yet another member joining in on the bestiary.

03/23/15: Fifth entry is up, in all it's glory. This time it's PIxel who has posted the entry, and covering the Jungle reptiles: Giant Tortoises. A lot of hard work was put into this.

03/24/15: Teal comes again, posting every arachnophobic's nightmare; Spiders. This one is packed and rich with detail, and goes into more about the spider's lifestyle as a "creepy crawly".

03/28/15: Jellyfish is the seventh entry, for readers to learn more about these persistent stingers. Posted by co-founder Pixel, this time round.

04/13/15: After a massive delays concering real life issues and team fallouts, the eighth entry is finally out. Following a brand new format; Teal has posted the latest entry with new artwork from Florence.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, @Shadow gamer . I worked my hard on that format, do you like it? I hope someone likes it, at least, that was some painful stuff, especially considering my PC has just died a horrible death and I had to go on my iPad and start from the bottom. // Drake

Last edited:
Thank you very much, @Shadow gamer . I worked my arse hard on that format, do you like it? I hope someone likes it, at least, that was some painful stuff, especially considering my PC has just died a horrible death and I had to go on my iPad and start from the bottom. // Drake
From what I see, it looks amazing it goes through the step on where to find the beast, what the beast is, taming, and everything else. I don't see how they could not like it! Also maybe the slimes (the pictures) could be animated and jiggle around, but that is not necessary just something funny I just thought of.

Eh, it'd be a little difficult to have that done for each entry, but thanks anyway. That was a relief about the formatting.

If any of you are wondering about @Molos Elethros 's text, well that's going to have to come in another time, considering he uploaded the image in a conversation and had to go afterwards. Tried reuploading the text for 'Slimes' and it didn't seem to work on any upload site. So..., we're just going to have to wait for that.

And then there's obviously @Shadow 's banner that's in the works. If you haven't already checked out his wonderful art thread, you should, it's a gold mine for great art.

Lets explore the fauna of Terraria, shall we? I just hope you guys don't say Dragon Skulls are related to the Wyverns..

Hello there @Seeker , shame you didn't join us. I mean, at first we were reluctant to invite you, but we saw, with some coaching, you could serve as a great team member. Guess it didn't work out in the end. And no, we won't go cheap with nonsense like that -- haha.

Hello there @Seeker , shame you didn't join us. I mean, at first we were reluctant to invite you, but we saw, with some coaching, you could serve as a great team member. Guess it didn't work out in the end. And no, we won't go cheap with nonsense like that -- haha.
Sorry lol. I don't like team environments or being "coached" in any kind of way. Too many voices.

Well, they're not necessarily planned, but I thought I might as well get some form of list going, @Shadow gamer . I mean, we are working on Demon Eyes, but other than that, just some plans I threw together in a second or so. You're free to request.

Wait is there something I can join? I love writing (if no that is fine)

(No double post here, move along)
Also my request is, Terraria's saddest creature. The Eyezor, he was not a movie monster or anything :(

wow really nice job , seriously. i always wanted terraria to have this sort of thing in the game whenever you killed the certain enemy .
i enjoyed reading this and i just got a little more inspiration to how i should do the banner :>
Eh, it'd be a little difficult to have that done for each entry, but thanks anyway. That was a relief about the formatting.

If any of you are wondering about @Molos Elethros 's text, well that's going to have to come in another time, considering he uploaded the image in a conversation and had to go afterwards. Tried reuploading the text for 'Slimes' and it didn't seem to work on any upload site. So..., we're just going to have to wait for that.

And then there's obviously @Shadow 's banner that's in the works. If you haven't already checked out his wonderful art thread, you should, it's a gold mine for great art.
There are some slime gifs on the wiki of the green slime . i had it on my thread once . you could try those :p

Sure, I'll see if the team are happy writing something up for Eyezor with me. You can join, but you'll need to form a detailed application, with an example of your work. If you're semi-experienced, we'll need to help you out a bit.

And, @Seeker , that's completely understandable, don't worry.

Sure, I'll see if the team are happy writing something up for Eyezor with me. You can join, but you'll need to form a detailed application, with an example of your work. If you're semi-experienced, we'll need to help you out a bit.

And, @Seeker , that's completely understandable, don't worry.
Do you want me to PM you? Also what do you mean coach me?

Back
Top Bottom