Sprites The Fortune - An Underground Desert Minibiome

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit

The_Fortune.png

kdcROYP.png

The fortune is a new mini biome that will generate near the center of the underground desert. It will be composed mostly of golden sands block but will be surrounded by golden sandstone blocks. Gemstones and coin piles will generate everywhere, as well as the occasional golden chest which will contain the standard underground chest loot. Honey will generate in small amounts in some areas. Only one of this biome will generate in a world.

Underground_Desert_with_Pyramid.png

Something like that but with smaller caves ^

Blocks

Golden_Sands_Block.png
Golden_Sands(placed).png

Golden Sands Block

Golden sands, unlike regular sand, are not affected by gravity. Each block has a rare chance to generate with a gemstone or coin inside it (examples shown). If one of those blocks is broken, it will drop said gemstone or coin. It can only be mined with a nightmare pickaxe or better. Two of them can be used to make one golden sandstone at a furnace.

Sandstone_Block.png
Golden_Sandstone_Block_(placed).png

Golden Sandstone

Golden sandstone will generate around the fortune biome and in pockets within it. Four of it can be used at a furnace to craft gold bricks. It can only be mined with a nightmare pickaxe or better.

Monsters

Golden_Angel.png
->
Golden_Angel!TRIGGERED!.png

Golden Angel
45 Damage
200 Health
23 Defense

The golden angle is a monster that, when faced away from, will rush towards the player at high speeds. When it spawns it will act very similarly to mimic, staying perfectly still until the player comes within close range of her. It is fairly common.

Coin_Swarm.png

Coin Swarm
34 Damage
350 Health
12 Defense
GoldCoin.gif
25% 1

Literally just a swarm of copper and silver coins which rotate around a gold coin. The coins surrounding the gold coin will pop off and become items with a certain percentage of damage done, and the gold coin in the center has a 25% chance of popping off when the enemy is defeated.

It makes the coin pickup sound when damaged and is a fairly uncommon enemy. Unlike the other enemies, this one can also spawn rarely in pyramids.

Centipeetle.png

Centipeetle
120 Damage(head)
90 Damage(body)
500 Health
28 Defense
Drops :
Emerald.png
10% 1-2

The centipeetle is a very fast worm-type creature that will only spawn in the fortune during hardmode. It is extremely quick and makes close circles around the player when they are seen. Has a small chance to drop emeralds.

Gem Sentinels

Gem sentinels are possessed gemstones which each have different attack patterns and properties based on their shape and gem tier respectively. They move and act similarly to possessed weapons, floating and being able to phase through walls. During their attacks they emit a bright light the color of their gem and leave a streaking trail.

They are all very common, being the fortune's most common enemy. They have a 7% of "poofing" and dropping their gemstone, instead of simply shattering as they normally would. They repeat their attack over and over until death.

Edit2: All done! The red spot on the ruby is where the laser comes from, and the orange on the tip of the amber has the same function.
index.php

Amethyst Sentinel
65 Health
15 Defense
25 Contact Damage
30 Laser Damage

Attacks by pointing at the player and firing a purple laser beam every few seconds.

124853-dfa4686eda3d40f96c1caad11ca36bd2.jpg

Topaz Sentinel
70 Health
12 Defense
30 Contact Damage

Attacks by spinning and ramming towards the player.

index.php

Sapphire Sentinel
80 Health
10 Defense
35 Contact Damage

Attacks by spinning towards the player. It will bounce off the first wall it hits before becoming nonsolid again.

index.php

Emerald Sentinel
90 Health
15 Defense
40 Contact Damage
30 Laser Damage

Attacks by firing a volley of 3 green lasers at the player, followed by a brief pause.

124852-cd92f5060e4d798295abc3dab5341e77.jpg

Ruby Sentinel
105 Health
18 Defense
45 Contact Damage
40 Laser Damage

Attacks by firing a bouncing red laser charge which lasts for 3 seconds. The laser has a cool down of 4 seconds.

124851-82cedfe9b390766e575b0959c09b145e.jpg

Diamond Sentinel
130 Health
22 Defense
50 Contact Damage

Attacks by hurtling itself tip-first toward the player, then immediately turning back and repeating the process.

124850-bd39088d90213dba136d8ecd0c0fd8a9.jpg

Amber Sentinel
145 Health
20 Defense
55 Contact Damage
60 Laser Damage

Attacks by charging up a powerful orange laser beam and releasing it. The lasers takes 2 seconds to charge and has no cool down.

Gemalgamation.png

Gemalgamation
1200 Health
32 Defense
70 Damage(contact)
100 Damage(drill)
80 Damage(slam)
70 Damage(lasers)
Drops:
25% 2-3

The gemalgamation is an enemy composed of every type of gemstone. It is the miniboss of the fortune, and does very heavy damage to the player. It floats similarly to the dribbler between attacks and can pass through walls. It can spawn rarely pre-hardmode but fairly commonly in hardmode.

It can attack in one of 4 ways, whether it be basic contact damage, an attack where it drills diamond-side-first toward the player, a slam toward the player using it's top-right side, or a laser attack from every gem except the diamond and sapphire.

It has a 25% chance of dropping 2-3 random gems.

Epilogue

I hope you've enjoyed this suggestion. Some of the sprites took me quite a while, especially the Gemalgamation, where, while it was quite fun to draw, took careful planning to decide where each gem should go and was generally stressful when the final shape had to be ruined to fit all 7 gems into the design.

Originally the topaz and emerald had been switched with the topaz and ruby having been removed entirely from the design, making it look like a wasp that would have caused the final enemy to function far differently than it does now.

Thanks to @Bob The Peanut for the gem sentinel sprites!

Last edited:
I'm liking it, but the look-alike sprites a bit of a turn off for the most part. Good work with the Centipeetle, Gemalgamation and some of the other sprites, though. Make the others a little more unqiue rather than item look-alikes and you've got a really great suggestion.

I really like just about everything about this! However, I do think there should be more to it. Would it have any special structures inside it? Would underground houses generate inside it? If so, what would they look like? Which coins would generate inside golden sand with what chance?

I'm liking it, but the look-alike sprites a bit of a turn off for the most part. Good work with the Centipeetle, Gemalgamation and some of the other sprites, though. Make the others a little more unqiue rather than item look-alikes and you've got a really great suggestion.

Thanks! I'm really awful when it comes to block and placed block textures, as I assume thats what your referring to. (also the coin swarm lmao)
I really like just about everything about this! However, I do think there should be more to it. Would it have any special structures inside it? Would underground houses generate inside it? If so, what would they look like? Which coins would generate inside golden sand with what chance?

I likely won't add an additional structure in, but I'll probably add the percent chances for what generates inside the golden sands.

The block textures are fine, I am mostly referring to the Coin Swarm and Sentinels.
Coin swarm's sprite is sort of a placeholder except I'm likely not going to replace it, and the sentinels are just supposed to be floating gems that attack you. I tried giving them eyes earlier on but it just didn't work.

I am super bored, so I'm going to attempt to make sprites for the sentinels.
Emphasis on attempt.

Edit: First three done, four more to go.
Amythest Sentinel.png
Emerald Sentinel.png
Sapphire Sentinel.png

Edit2: All done! The red spot on the ruby is where the laser comes from, and the orange on the tip of the amber has the same function.
Amber Sentinel.png Diamond Sentinel.png Ruby Sentinel.png Topaz Sentinel.png

Last edited:
index.php

Gemalgamation
1200 Health
32 Defense
70 Damage(contact)
100 Damage(drill)
80 Damage(slam)
70 Damage(lasers)
Drops:
25% 2-3

The gemalgamation is an enemy composed of every type of gemstone. It is the miniboss of the fortune, and does very heavy damage to the player. It floats similarly to the dribbler between attacks and can pass through walls. It can spawn rarely pre-hardmode but fairly commonly in hardmode.

index.php

Gemalgamation
1200 Health
32 Defense
70 Damage(contact)
100 Damage(drill)
80 Damage(slam)
70 Damage(lasers)

Gemalgamation

*Here comes 01000111011001010110110101100001011011000110011101100001011011010110000101110100011010010110111101101110, along with an Undertale reference

A nice one, though a rather bit plain, seeing as it is composed of no new new items and yet being challenging.

Golden Sandstone requiring a Hellpick and above to mine seems both odd and a bit off. Also, may I know why the Centipeedle drops only Emeralds? Other than its coloring I guess.

Also, 2 Golden sand blocks @ a Furnace = 1 Golden Sandstone block.

A nice one, though a rather bit plain, seeing as it is composed of no new new items and yet being challenging.

Golden Sandstone requiring a Hellpick and above to mine seems both odd and a bit off. Also, may I know why the Centipeedle drops only Emeralds? Other than its coloring I guess.

Also, 2 Golden sand blocks @ a Furnace = 1 Golden Sandstone block.
I'll lower the hardness to demonite/crimtane tier. Also the centipeetle drops emeralds because it is green.

Back
Top Bottom