Biomes & Nature The Jade - Splitting the Hallow into it's own Alternate

DarthEnderX

Terrarian
So, I've realized lately that I spend a lot of time complaining about other people's Hallow Alternates without ever actually trying to come up with something better myself. And I DO think that the Hallow should have an alternate. So this is basically what I've come up with, to give other folks a chance to :red: on it.

To me, The Hallow as it is now has always felt like a mix of two rather different biomes. On the surface, it's like a sylvan forest. It's all pixies, and unicorns, all trying to kill you. It's like nature itself trying to avenge itself for all your critter slaying, strip mining, evil force unleashing, ways.

Underground, the Hallow feels like it has a completely different theme. One of pure light. It's all about crystals and glowing bats, slimes, elementals, etc.

So my idea for an alternate Hallow is to take these two identities, and split them off into separate Hallow alternates.

1. The Hallow
The first, which would still be called The Hallow, and the major themes of The Hallow are Light/Crystal. It's the opposite of The Corruption. It's got the crystals both underground and on the surface, with light everywhere.
crystal_forest_by_nina_ikavalko-d5rgxr1.jpg

The enemies are like extradimensional light beings, contrasting the lovecraftian horrors of The Corrution. The Illuminant Bats and Slimes, Light Elementals(just a rename of the chaos elemental), etc.

It gets to keep the Pearl-color themes. Pearlstone, Pearlsand, Pearlwood, etc.

2. The Jade
The second, I would call The Jade, and the major themes of The Jade are Nature/Fae. It's meant to be the opposite of the Crimson and it's evil meat-theme.

It's a primal, eldritch forest, and represents nature's fury and is full of fae-type creatures. In addition to the pixies and unicorns of the surface Hallow. It's basically the Emerald Dream from Warcraft.
Emeralddream.jpg

Obviously, the biome's color scheme is Green(opposite of the Crimson's red). It's got Jadestone, Jadesand, Jadewood, etc.

Obviously would need to be new mobs. Basically, for every enemy you take out of the Hallow, you need to replace it with something else. And The Jade needs a new enemy for every enemy that it didn't take from The Hallow. New enemies in bold.

Slime:
Jade Slime - Illuminant Slime

Flying enemy:
Pixie - Illuminant Bat

Beast enemy:
Unicorn - Phantom Panther(Phanther? A Terraria version of a Displacer Beast)

Night-time only enemy:
Gastropod - Crystal Elemental(Ice Elemental reskin)

Humanoid:
Nymph Hunter(More common Nymph enemies) - Light Elemental

Floating weapon:
Jade Spear - Enchanted Sword

Rare Minibosses(ala Frost Golem):
Treant - Crystal Golem

Anyway, that's how I'd do it. Thoughts?

Last edited:
This looks pretty good! However, is there any kind of alternate Crystal Shards for it? And maybe an alternate Crystal Storm?

Last edited:
I already knew I wouldn't be a fan of this idea, but... this concept is rather holey, and by that I mean it has a lot of holes and flaws. First and foremost- Green. Really? Yes, we need more green grass, we already have Jungle and Purity. Let's add another just to confuse players even more. That in itself was already a dumb idea, but the idea in general just isn't nearly as well thought-out as, say, the Cyber, and lacks a lot of the appeal. Also, the stone, wood, and sand names are hilariously generic (although Crimson has a similar problem, but at least it's not the full name of the biome), unlike the Corruption and Hallow versions which have more creativity- being both descriptive and just sounding cooler. (Vert* or Verd* would probably be better- the latter is of course fancier green just like Ebon, and the latter is part of Verdant, which is very commonly paired with green (verdant green), just like Pearl, which is commonly paired with white (pearl white))

Really, in the end Jade just... isn't that appealing when there's the Cyber to opt for instead. Maybe as a rival to Contagion in a modified form, but definitely not a Crimson rival.

First and foremost- Green. Really?
Yes. Green is still the opposite of red. And I'm still trying to make a Crimson counterpart.
GrassColors.jpg

Forest, Jungle, Jade.

the idea in general just isn't nearly as well thought-out as, say, the Cyber
I won't disagree with you there. The Cyber is an infinitely more fleshed out concept. But it's still not my preferred choice for a Hallow alt, simply because I'm not a fan of the science fiction elements in Terraria, and the Cyber contains a ton of them.

It's still a fantastic idea, just not one I want them to add.

Also, the stone, wood, and sand names are hilariously generic (although Crimson has a similar problem, but at least it's not the full name of the biome)
Only because Crimson is two syllables, so it gets shortened to Crim. Jade is already one syllable.

Point is, at the end of the day, Crimson, Ebon, Pearl, Jade, they're all just fancier words for colors. Red, Black, White, Green.

It's just as generic as the Crimson is, and that's intentional, being it's counterpart.

Really, in the end Jade just... isn't that appealing when there's the Cyber to opt for instead.
A perfectly understandable point of view.

Yes. Green is still the opposite of red. And I'm still trying to make a Crimson counterpart.
View attachment 1801
Forest, Jungle, Jade.
...you just reinforced my point.

The Jade color you're proposing is extremely similar to that of the regular Pure grass color, and considering they're both on regular dirt, that's bound to cause a lot of confusion when you're moving quickly through the area and aren't really paying attention to the grass, and thus are surprised when you're randomly assaulted by unicorns. (That's the big thing that the other infections have over this one- the fact that they're basically impossible to miss because the colors of their grass contrast so much with Pure grass.)

I won't disagree with you there. The Cyber is an infinitely more fleshed out concept. But it's still not my preferred choice for a Hallow alt, simply because I'm not a fan of the science fiction elements in Terraria, and the Cyber contains a ton of them.

It's still a fantastic idea, just not one I want them to add.
You know, back before The Cyber I used to think the same, but since most are argeed that The Mechanical 3 should remain in the game, and have a brain counterpart as well, I think it would be the best thing to do for the sake of Terraria's admittedly quite lacking logic. The Mechanical 3 are in a way baning way for the possibility for an original hostbiome, and that hostbiome (Cyber) gives the mechanical 3 much needed context.

You know, back before The Cyber I used to think the same, but since most are argeed that The Mechanical 3 should remain in the game, and have a brain counterpart as well, I think it would be the best thing to do for the sake of Terraria's admittedly quite lacking logic. The Mechanical 3 are in a way baning way for the possibility for an original hostbiome, and that hostbiome (Cyber) gives the mechanical 3 much needed context.
Your circle thingy has six dealies on it now...

I like the whole idea but maybe a different colour other than green since the forest already represents the colour green

Edit: Image not working, took it out

I personally think a better crimson alt would be cyber. The jade would work as an alt for Tobbvald's corrosion.
If you think the Jade would be an appropriate alternate to anything that's still the same as saying you approve of it being in the game at all.

Remember, the game would randomly select these things. You could end up on a corrupted world with a jade alternate.
That's right! One for Cyber, which I have incorporated as the alternative for Crimson in TT. The Orange one is something in the works right as we speak.
Damn, so you've already thought of a mecha biome, too. I was thinking of making one up called "The Chrome" or "The Collective", although it was going to be an EVIL biome...

Remember, the game would randomly select these things. You could end up on a corrupted world with a jade alternate.
Maybe, maybe not.

If a Hallow alt ever does get added, it's entirely possible that during world generation, opposing biomes would be linked.

Corruption to Hallow, Crimson to whatever.

In fact, if they don't get around to adding a Normalmode version of the Hallow, it would probably be BETTER if it worked that way. That way, you don't have to play all the way to Hardmode before finding out which Light biome your world has.

Damn, so you've already thought of a mecha biome, too. I was thinking of making one up called "The Chrome" or "The Collective", although it was going to be an EVIL biome...
Well, zoomo did anyway.

If you think the Jade would be an appropriate alternate to anything that's still the same as saying you approve of it being in the game at all.

Yes, thats how it is now, but i think it should change to biomes only generating with their alt, ie, corruption always having hallow.

Yes, thats how it is now, but i think it should change to biomes only generating with their alt, ie, corruption always having hallow.
That's exactly what I aim for with Tobbvald's Tinkering as well. 3 different playthroughs with either Hallow+Corruption, Cyber+Crimson, Contagion+Covert. This would also specify the color of dungeon depending on the evil biome in the world.

I loved the idea! Guys, the world isn't colorful, there are a lot of different biomes that are green in different tons, with other animals and other vegetation. Ok, some biomes are soft red, others are gray, others are yellow, but most of them are green!

I loved the idea! Guys, the world isn't colorful, there are a lot of different biomes that are green in different tons, with other animals and other vegetation. Ok, some biomes are soft red, others are gray, others are yellow, but most of them are green!
That's the real world. This is Terraria, where everything's colorful. That logic doesn't work.

In short: Don't apply real-life logic to Terraria. It does not work. This is not a realistic game, and as such its appearance shouldn't be either. (And having an infection that is very easy to confuse with Purity is actually a very bad thing, regardless of type.)

That's the real world. This is Terraria, where everything's colorful. That logic doesn't work.

In short: Don't apply real-life logic to Terraria. It does not work. This is not a realistic game, and as such its appearance shouldn't be either. (And having an infection that is very easy to confuse with Purity is actually a very bad thing, regardless of type.)

The logic does work because it's the structure, it just doesn't need to be followed. And I don't thing people would change a light green biome with stones and slimes with a dark shining green biome with very green stones, darker wood and a lot of different mobs.

The logic does work because it's the structure, it just doesn't need to be followed. And I don't thing people would change a light green biome with stones and slimes with a dark shining green biome with very green stones, darker wood and a lot of different mobs.
For one, Jade isn't dark- for two, if you paid attention to the previous posts you'd notice that the color proposed for Jade grass is very, VERY similar to the Pure grass color, which makes it extremely easy to confuse at a glance, ESPECIALLY when you're not really paying attention to your surroundings (IE when you're moving past to get to, say, the dungeon). And, the mobs don't spawn instantly, so even then you won't necessarily notice very quickly (especially since the background would undoubtedly be very similar because oh hey, Jade is basically glorified Forest... and there's also the consideration of not everyone has backgrounds turned on (I don't, it lags my computer), and in case you didn't know, the game doesn't change the sky color for Hallow- and likely wouldn't do so for Jade either.)

Also, when you're just moving through a biome you tend not to notice a different color scheme on the rocks that generally go unnoticed when you're moving quickly in the first place. Basicaly the biggest indication you'd ever get is a Unicorn suddenly plowing through you when you least expect it. That is bad. A lot of players would call shenanigans on that one. (In general having two types of grass of the same color on the same soil is a bad idea unless they contrast that much- Contagion grass versus Purity grass, for instance- as they can just create confusion. And confusion is bad. (The debuff too, but that's more "negative".)

Back
Top Bottom