NPCs & Enemies The Recycler: Use for Fishing Junk! (BfTO!)

Dakota Spine

Headless Horseman
Hey guys, Dakota here. I gotta say, I love the new fishing mechanic. At the time, the only things I am catching are Bass, and three kinds of junk. But that is slightly beside the point of this thread. I want to suggest a real use for Fishing Junk, even if it is meant to be useless. I give you The Recycler!

Now before I get started, I wanted to make a quick note. I want this as an NPC, not a machine/worktable. I would not only much rather it be another person, but people are more open to other NPCs in general. People already complain about there being too many workbenches, and I don't want to add to that list. That is all, onto the thread!

Getting the NPC
The Recycler is a Pre-Hardmode NPC. In order to let The Recycler move into your house, you need to have collected one of all three kinds of Fishing Junk, and keep it in your inventory. She will then move in if you have a vacant home.

recycle-girl-png.106909

Functionality
When you open her GUI, she will have one option, a "Recycle" option. Once you open it, it will have a small menu similar to the Goblin Tinkerer's, only it has a Recycle sign instead of a Hammer. Once you have it open, you can give her the Junk Fishing items like Old Shoes, Tin Cans, and Seaweed, and she will remake them into a special item that can be used. So put one of the items in the slot, and a small window will open, giving you a few options for a new item based on what you put in. Just click which item you want to get from the Recycle, and click the Recycle icon. It will Recycle the Junk item(s), and give you something useful, at a small cost that it. How much Junk an item takes, the more money it costs. And it won't always work. There is about a 50% chance it will work, and it will vary. If you fail, you will still have the items you put in, but you will need to pay again. keep in mind that this is a very cheap process, only a few copper at a time! And the price never changes when you do it more or less. The whole process itself will only consume 5 copper coins.

Recycled Items

Old Shoe =

2 / Running Shoes
Running Shoe.png
(Slightly slower than the Hermes Boots.)

1 / Shoe Sole
(Can be crafted with Gel to make Rubber Sole.
Gel Sole.png
)
(Add to Running Shoes in a Workbench to get Hiking Shoes.
Hiking Shoes.png
Makes you more resistant to fall damage. Two needed.)

2 / Lace Hook
Grapple Lace.png
(Short range Grapple Hook. Slightly smaller than the normal Grapple.)

2 / Bootie
Bootie.png
(Can be used an an alternate form of the Clay Pot, and can grow plants in it. It would tend to be more decoration. Creates two. )

Tin Can =

1 / Can Helmet
(Same Defense as Bucket.)

1 / Can Pot
Can Pot.png
(Acts just like Clay Pot, and can have plants grown in it. Creates two.)
2 / Fresh Can
11-png.108060
(Can make Canned Food with any Fish or Mushroom. Heals 50 Hearts. The Canned Food is reusable, but you need to keep crafting it with the Fresh Can, and one of the two items.)
1 / Razor Lid
razor-lid-4-png.108507
(Boomerang, does 6 damage, and can bounce once.)

Seaweed =

1 / Seaweed Wrap
Seaweed Wrapping.png
(Used with any Raw Fish to make Sushi
Sushi.png
Heals 50 hearts.)

5 / 7 / 5 Seaweed Clothing (Fishing Buff Set. Gives all bait +5% Bait Power when worn.)
1 / Seaweed Covering
Seaweed Covering.png
(Used with 5 Dirt to make 5 Seaweed Blocks.
Seaweed Block.png
Can be Placed, and made into Walls in the same fashion as any other Block. )
1 / Seaweed Ribbon
Seaweed Ribbon.png
Seaweed Ribbon.png
(Worn in your Hair. Purely Vanity.)

This is how the Seaweed Ribbon looks when worn.
Seaweed Ribbon (Worn).png

3 / Seaweed Cloak
Seaweed Cloak.png
(Vanity.)

(( Thanks to Hiladar for the sprites for the Fresh Can, Razor Lid, Seaweed Wrap, Seaweed Covering, and Seaweed Cloak. And Corenality for the Seaweed Ribbon Sprites! ))

That is about it. If there is anything that you guys think should be added to this, or anything you would want me to elaborate on, I will try to do so. Anyway, I hope you guys like this suggestion. Thanks for Reading. Dakota, out.

Last edited:
I hope your idea get added to the game so we can finally not die of rage when we catch a piece of junk.
Totally supporting you :D:D:D

Catching junk is actually a penalty for fishing in a water source that is too small. If you get junk at any time, consider expanding the water source you are fishing at. It doesn't really matter if you are in early Pre-HM, just get fifty buckets (450 iron/lead isn't too bad to acquire) and transfer some from a source that is too small or vast. Because of this, I don't see a necessity for this suggestion.

As for the item ideas I have something to say about:

2 / Running Shoes
6-png.106985
(Hermes Boots with Halved running speed.)

Halved sprinting speed is...close to normal speed without hermes boots, no?

2 / Lace Hook
5-png.106981
(Short range Grapple Hook. Quarter the size of a normal Grapple.)

The default grappling hook is small enough as it is. I often fear whether I'm pushing my limits using it extensively across very large Corruption Chasms. On top of that, gem hooks are really easy to get and the top gem variants have quite a surprising reach.

1 / Can Helmet
(Same Defense as Bucket.)

Then this is pretty much redundant.

1 / Can Pot
3-png.106979
(Acts just like Clay Pot, and can have plants grown in it.)

Also quite redundant, seeing as Clay is a very common and simple resource to find.

2 / Fresh Can
11-png.108060
(Can make Canned food with any Fish or Mushroom. Heals 50 Hearts.)

I really hope you mean 50 health, because you can only have 20 hearts in this game. If so, I find this redundant too as lesser healing potions are very easy to come by.
1 / Seaweed Wrap
seaweed-wrap-1-png.112550
(Used with any Raw Fish to make Sushi
7-png.106988
Heals 50 hearts.)

Same as above.

Well, some of these are more just for fun, something to do with what you catch anyway,

Halved sprinting speed is...close to normal speed without hermes boots, no?
I am honestly not quite sure of the speed, but I wanted some advantage to them. Simply put, not as fast as the Hermes Boots, but faster than normal.

The default grappling hook is small enough as it is. I often fear whether I'm pushing my limits using it extensively across very large Corruption Chasms. On top of that, gem hooks are really easy to get and the top gem variants have quite a surprising reach.
Perhaps it should be half instead, I will admit that.

Then this is pretty much redundant.

It's more vanity. Is wearing a bucket on your head in the first place not redundant?

Also quite redundant, seeing as Clay is a very common and simple resource to find.

It is for decoration. It's like saying Stone Bricks are redundant as you can easily get Clay Bricks.

I really hope you mean 50 health, because you can only have 20 hearts in this game. If so, I find this redundant too as lesser healing potions are very easy to come by.
Yes, I mean 50 health. Just an early, alternate way of healing. It's also just a way to make Goldfish and Mushrooms better for healing early on.

Same as above.
Again, alternate way of early healing.

It's more vanity. Is wearing a bucket on your head in the first place not redundant?

Yes. I don't consider this interesting vanity, so I don't really support it in that way too.

It is for decoration. It's like saying Stone Bricks are redundant as you can easily get Clay Bricks.

It isn't. Pots and bricks/blocks are two different things. Don't forget that for pots you are limited as to where you can place them. Again with the vanity, it doesn't appeal to me.

Yes, I mean 50 health. Just an early, alternate way of healing. It's also just a way to make Goldfish and Mushrooms better for healing early on.

Again, alternate way of early healing.

You get lesser healing potions from wooden chests and pots that are in high quantities upon starting a new playthrough. Not only that, but by the time I actually get some goldfish I would probably have over ten lesser pots. That is in comparison to having stacks of them before when you didn't need a net to acquire them.

If it serves the exact same purpose and is no easier to get (in fact, this method would prove it to be harder seeing as you would need to get a net to catch bait and then acquire the junk and the NPC to convert the junk) then there really is no point in it.

Another thing I have to say is that those who know to fish in large lakes would not be affected by this at all. They want the highest chance to get the shiny crates as well as fish that make useful potions, both of which retain usefulness throughout the whole line of progression.

Well, not everybody is going to like the idea I guess. I can tell I'm not going to change your mind, so let's just leave it at this. I just thought there would be some small additions for people that do end up with junk. Just decor and other vanity can't hurt, nor can just another simple method of early healing, as useful/useless as if might end up.

The other stuff is kind of, well, junk, like the stuff it's made from, but the running/hiking shoes and the seaweed fishing armor would be nice. Do we have a set of fishing armor yet?

EDIT- Checked, there's the angler armor.

I'm not too sure I like the idea itself (It's made to be useless. It might as well stay useless.)
I am thinking, however, that the running shoes should increase normal movement speed rather than be like the Hermes boots.

I guess it's fine that it will all basically become junk again midway through the game.

What would be the sell price of those items? I guess that Sushi could have a rather high one to give a reason to bother with it.
Sshi and Canned Food should give the Well-fed buff.

If you plan on revaluing junk, how about different "junk tiers"? (They would still all stay grey)
Higher tier example:
Unknown plant
Shiny stone
Broken armor
Lime kelp (why not fishing others objects in water?)
Glowig seaweed
Mechanism
Gear

The initial idea seems good, though I have to side with FlakMaster here, as he has raised some important, and none-the-less valid, arguments.

Frankly, I don't see the point of yielding items that will be redundant shortly after. For instance, I could craft a pair of Running Shoes, and then find a pair of Hermes Boots shortly after or even before I craft them. And herein lies the problem. Most of the items in the game require quite a reasonable amount of grinding in order to be produced. Coming closer to the theme of recycling by converting the items into a more usable form (Old Shoe becomes Leather, Rope, etc...), would also be redundant, as there are far better and faster ways to obtain said items. Though I enjoy the prospect of Vanity items, it just isn't worthwhile to fish for enough junk to produce them.

The initial idea seems good, though I have to side with FlakMaster here, as he has raised some important, and none-the-less valid, arguments.

Frankly, I don't see the point of yielding items that will be redundant shortly after. For instance, I could craft a pair of Running Shoes, and then find a pair of Hermes Boots shortly after or even before I craft them. And herein lies the problem. Most of the items in the game require quite a reasonable amount of grinding in order to be produced. Coming closer to the theme of recycling by converting the items into a more usable form (Old Shoe becomes Leather, Rope, etc...), would also be redundant, as there are far better and faster ways to obtain said items. Though I enjoy the prospect of Vanity items, it just isn't worthwhile to fish for enough junk to produce them.

Well, sure, they aren't things that are extremely helpful. But then again, it isn't horribly hard to get a good amount of Seaweed. It isn't like junk is hard to get.

And again, it s made from junk, which is easy to come across early on. I can't make the Lace Hook as good as the Grapple.

My add-on: Can Cannon
(I tried last time, the picture glitched, it SHOULD work now)

Can Cannon:
index.php

23 Damage
5 Knockback
4 Velocity
Green
85% Chance not to consume ammo
Uses Cans as Ammo
"Can you aim it?" :naughty:
Crafting: 5 Tin Cans
20 Tin/Copper Bars
10 Junky Souls
Cannical Machine

Junky Soul:
index.php

This or Tin Cans will only be hooked when fishing with Cannical Machine equipped. (50% Chance Each)

Cannical Machine:
index.php

Accessory Material
Useful for getting Can materials.
Crafted: 10 Tin/Copper Bars
1 Tin Can
Can Canonicality:
index.php

67 Damage
8 Knockback
7 Velocity
Pink
90% Chance not to consume ammo
Uses Cans as ammo
"Not to be confuzed with Cannon Can"
Crafting: Can Cannon
50 Tin Cans
50 Tin/Copper Bars
50 Junky Souls
5 Souls of Night
5 Souls of Light
5 Cannical Machines

Hope you like it! :):dryadsmile::red::):dryadsmile::red:

I like that you took the time to think up all these stats, but I didn't really intend for the Recycler to make weapons and stuff like that. But I think you should actually use these stats and make your own suggestion! You put in enough effort to get credit for your own idea!

Back
Top Bottom