Story The servant of cthulhu (terrarian novel)

Shall i continue?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 65 71.4%
  • Yes.

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • no.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • where am I?

Votes: 11 12.1%

• Total voters

excession

The Destroyer
I thank you already for even clicking on this thread!
This story will cover a lot of content! it has already discussed who the guide is, and will eventually cover how terraria came to be, what cthulhu's deal is, the other NPCs, the wall of flesh, and a bunch of other stuff, so stick around!

Npc's:
Adam, the guide
Issac, the merchant
Amy, the nurse
Celestia, the dryad
Darren, the painter
Gimli, the Demolitionist

Likes and comments are appreciated!
Thanks to @Everybody for the inspiration. Also thanks to the @Pumpking @Seeker @The Epic Hero @Swordbomb @ShadeDragon @The Epic Hero @TheGoldenHawkster and @Fortanono for help with plot twist ideas and general ideas

The world started as darkness. Or so it appeared to be to Amroth. He didn’t remember anything, just vague flashes of his life before him. He didn’t have a worry, because he couldn’t recall any he should have. Then, light began to appear on the horizon. The light swirled towards him, with flashes of blue, green, brown, white, and even a blinding yellow that caused him to look away whenever it came close. His mind began to recall, very little at first, but more and more came to him. The yellow light was the sun. The flashes of color took on the shape of cubes, and gradually began to form something around him. He heard a voice, a girl’s, saying “come back soon,” as the world continued to form around him. Something wasn’t right.

Thoughts about what could’ve been his past filled his head as the last of the blocks of color settled into the ground. He strained his mind about his past and the new world that he now existed in began to take a more defined shape, and the blur began to vanish. All he could recall was that he was 17, his name was Amroth, and that there was a world before this one, and that he needed to return. Their seemed to be a void in him, and it grated at his mind. He needed to fill the void. The only other thing he remembered was the girl, he could faintly see her face, and remember her name was Emily.

He turned his attention back to the world before him. The physics seemed… off… but he couldn’t decide why. The grass was greener than it should’ve been, but that was a minor detail. There were quite a few colorful birds in the area, along with a bunny, and some squirrels. He could even make out a few grasshoppers eating the plant life that infested the small area he was in. In front of him was a small hill, with a cave in its side. It was too dark to see all the way down. Behind him was a large pond, with a small stream leading into it, with numerous fish swimming around. He began to relax, but he noticed he was suspended in space, he wasn’t touching the ground. It dawned on him, he was dreaming

As soon as Amroth had recognized this, he saw a bright light appear on the horizon, on the edge of the hill.

“Is this a sunrise?” he asked, To no one in particular. But the sun was up. The golden light from this new object was just the edge of it, the rest of it looked like a metal medallion flying up into the sky, very slowly, ascending like a helicopter would. Then, on its surface, he saw a giant face, with snake like eyes, and a tentacle beard. It roared, rushed off the face of the emblem, and engulfed Amroth as he screamed.

He woke up in a cold sweat, with a looming black figure standing over him.

Amroth instantly noticed 3 things

One, the reason the figure was a black silhouette was that the rising sun was at his back. Two, it had something sharp in its hand, a dagger or a short sword, Amroth couldn’t tell. Three, that weapon was currently on a trajectory to stab Amroth in the face. He realized all of this in a fraction of a second. All he had time to do is throw up his hands in a futile attempt at protection.

The sharp stab of pain he expected never happened.

Yet.

Instead he felt the warm hilt of the weapon being pressed into his palm, and he instinctively took hold of it and looked up.

“Follow me,” said the foreboding figure. As Amroth stood up, he looked the person up and down. It was a man, who looked to be about 20. He wasn’t that tall, but he wasn’t short. He wasn’t very stocky either. The only thing that really stood out was his piercing blue eyes. They seemed to bore into Amroth’s head, like they knew everything about him. He had brown hair, and was cleanly shaven. Strangely, he walked with a limp. Amroth, not knowing exactly what to do, followed him to a chest, partway embedded in the ground, like the Earth grew up around it. The man stepped aside, and Amroth opened the chest. Inside was a pickaxe, an axe, and 3 vials of red liquid. The tools and the short sword Amroth clung to, were made of what looked like copper.

Amroth looked around, and saw that the landscape was the world he had seen in his dream, the trees and everything were the same, down to the last detail. He turned to the man.

“Who are you?” Amroth asked

“My name is Adam,” he replied “and I am the guide.”

“What do you mean?” Amroth demanded

“First things first, we need wood for a house, and we need it tonight, I’ll explain as you chop. I would help, but I am not in a good enough physical condition to do so.”

“Why do we need a house by tonight? Building one will take way longer than 1 day.”

“The zombies come at night, and physics are different, so building a house will be easy trust me.”

Amroth somehow knew Adam was right, and didn’t question it. As soon as Amroth started, he noticed that the wood cut more easily than expected, and instead of just falling over, the trees split into roughly block shaped pieces of wood that could be placed easily together. They fit together like bricks, and stuck.

“This world is called, Terraria,” Started the guide “and this is why I am involved. My friend Hatch and I were whisked away here, for reasons we don’t understand. In my time here I was crucially injured by skeletron, who is a demon who inhabits this world. He mined underground for long periods of time after we managed to drive skeletron off, and using the ores he got, I crafted armor and weapons. Eventually we learned that the only way to escape this world was to kill the wall of flesh, and I could not, so I stood at the top of the underworld, while Hatch attempted it. They quickly got out of sight. Soon I heard a roar of pain from the wall, and the world flashed white. When I awoke, Hatch was gone. I haven’t seen him since, so I assume he escaped. The house we built was also gone. But on the ground, there was someone else. We repeated the process, and again after the wall died I awoke, and someone else was there. Sometimes they don’t make it to the wall, and get killed. Whenever they do die, the same thing happens, and someone else takes their place.“

“This has been my death,” he continued. “I haven’t seen my family, and I don’t even know who they are really anymore, for over 3 months. Everybody I’ve ever meet has disappeared forever. I can’t do it again. I make friends with everyone I meet, only to have them be torn away from me.”

Adam broke down, and sat on a tree stump with his head in his hands. Amroth didn’t know how to comfort him.

The day progressed, and Adam explained that the only reason he still even cared, was to help others escape this nightmare. They build a house, quite easily thanks to the strange properties of the wood, and Amroth discovered those properties applied to everything else. Throughout the day, Amroth discovered that Adam was a humorous, easy going guy most of the time. Before the moon rose, they were both asleep in makeshift beds of moss and leaves in the house.

Amroth awoke early, just after the sunrise.

He decided to go exploring. Adam had said the world could get dangerous, but he assumed that only happened in the night. He took his sword and pickaxe, and was off. Climbing the hill in the distance, he discovered that behind it, was a large canyon with a river running through the bottom. He climbed down towards the river. He collected some dirt blocks of the ground, and built a small bridge over the river. When he got to the other side, he found a vein of some ore, most probably iron

“Hmmmm, I must collect this, but I have no way to carry it back,” Amroth pondered to himself. He decided to mark it by building a small wood pillar, and then continued his trek up the other side of the canyon. On the top of the second hill, he found a green gelatinous blob. It quivered, and then jumped a small distance away.

Amroth approached it, and upon seeing it closer, he realized it was, actually pretty cute. He got close enough to touch it, when it jumped on his face.

“AAAHHHHHHH Get it off! Get it off! It’s sucking at my FACE! I knew I should’ve not left home! Why??????? Wait, Actually, this feels pretty good.”

It was kind of like a facial at the spa, but he could tell it would start hurting pretty soon if he didn’t do something about it. His hands just slipped through the jelly whenever he tried to pull it off. He considered running back to the house, but he knew it was too far away. He didn’t want to cut himself with the sword, as he had never actually wielded one. In desperation, after a minute of rushed thought, he slammed his head into one of the nearby trees.

He succeeded in getting it off his face. It jumped off, seeming pretty miffed, but didn’t seem harmed by it. Amroth on the other hand, was already developing a bruise.

“Owwww, I’m never doing that again.”

He decided to continue his hike, and walked down the other side of the mountain. Pretty soon the trees started to take on a purple hew, and he had no idea why. Then he saw the monster

It was brown with a purple hew. It had 5 slightly green eyes. The back of its body tapered to a point, while its front had dagger like fangs sticking out, 2 small, 2 big. It had some green hair like appendages all over. The strange thing was, it was flying, with no visible wings. Amroth knew that if that monster got close enough, it would kill him easily.

Thinking fast Amroth dug some dirt blocks out of the ground, and covered himself with them, making a small shelter that was only a little bit bigger than he was, he couldn’t even stand up straight. He broke 1 block of dirt for a little hole to view out of.

“I’m dead,” Thought Amroth. He saw the monster was quite close now, but something else caught his attention as the beast started to body slam the structure, causing it to quake. In the distance, was a man, dressed in a black and grey armor. The armor had a creepy aspect to it. The monster drifted in front of the hole he had made, right after he saw the figure throw something. The dagger the stranger had thrown pierced the Eater, going all the way through him, and stuck into the back wall behind Amroth’s head.

On it the hilt was the strange emblem Amroth had seen in his dream. It had the same head, with the snake eyes and the tentacles hanging off its chin. Attacked to the dagger was a note. It read;

“Take these items; you will need them to survive. Drink the potion” –The Servant of Cthulhu.

Attached was a small leather pouch and a vial of light blue liquid. The vial was in the shape of a star, with the bottom 2 points attached to each other. Amroth saw another monster coming from the distance, but the figure was gone. He knew he had no other option. He drank the potion and was could feel his body disassemble, before reassembling somewhere completely different.

It took him a moment to comprehend the landscape that now lay before him.

Amroth quickly discovered that this new weird landscape was dangerous.

And it was his home. (Don’t say his home isn’t dangerous, terraria’s always dangerous, what are you talking about?)

Upon realizing he was mostly safe, (not really but safe in comparison to the corruption) he took a look at the weird leather pouch. Looking inside it, he couldn’t see a bottom. After some examining he realized he could fit anything in it, and it didn’t way a thing.

He ran back to the house. Adam was just barely getting up.

“Whaaa?” He muttered blearily

“Dude, you have to see this.” Amroth replied.

Amroth recounted his misadventure and told him about the pouch. This caught Adam’s interest.

“So you’re saying, that this guy with creepy looking armor, who calls himself the Servant of Cthulhu gave you an infinite pouch?”

“Yep”

“This has never happened before. When everyone else has gone mining they could only bring up a little bit of ore! With this you could carry as much as you want, and I could make way better armor and weapons!”

“What was the area with the purple trees?” Amroth inquired.

“Oh that’s the corruption. Stay away from it as much as possible. Nobody before you has ever gotten out alive.”

“So what happens next Adam?”

“Death, with some stuff before that.”

Amroth smirked “No really, what do you recommend I do next?”

“Well, mostly you need to mine at this point. With your pouch you will be able to take your pickaxe and sword, and I’ll make you a wooden hammer before you go. You never know when you’ll need one. If you see any crystal hearts, smash them, they will help a lot.”

“Why do I need them?”

“You’ll see. Also, you can take these healing potions and some torches I made out of a nearby slime.”

Adam handed him the red vials he had found in the chest. Amroth slipped everything into his pouch and headed out the door.

“I’ll be back by nightfall!” Amroth called back

Once outside the house, Amroth looped around to the stream for a drink, and for the first time he could remember, he saw what he looked like.

Amroth was of medium height, and kind of stocky. He had muscular arms and legs. The reason for this (though Amroth didn’t remember this) was he had been on the high school football team back in the real world. He had short brown hair, and dark brown eyes. His features were defined, slightly chiseled even. He wore a normal red t-shirt and jeans.

On his way to the cave, he came across a blue slime. It jumped at him, and he dodged, whipping his sword out of the pouch and through the slime, slicing it in half. He collected the gel for some more torches.

He mined in the main entrance of the cave and in a small cavern through a tunnel for most of the day. He collected a lot of iron and some silver as well. Time went quickly for him, and he went back to the house an hour before sunset. The guide had been busy. He had collected enough cobwebs for some silk, and had made the beds more bedlike.

“Tomorrow I will make you better tools for mining with that iron, and maybe a silver sword. Pretty soon we will have you all geared up.” Adam said, as they emptied out Amroth’s pouch. “Maybe I’ll work on another house for a Npc while you’re gone.”

“What’s an Npc?” asked Amroth

“well, they’re hard to describe, they’re like humans, but not. The live because they exist to us, but without us, they aren’t there. They’re like figments of our collective imagination, but still exist in a physical way, so you can buy and sell things to them. Each of them can perform different tasks. Hopefully, we can get a merchant to move in nearby.”

“Ok, I hopefully will find some more silver tomorrow.” Said Amroth, climbing into his bed. “Goodnight.”

The next day when Amroth awoke it was to the sound of clanging metal. He had slept till almost eleven, which wasn’t surprising considering he had spent most of the day before swinging a pickaxe. Adam was hammering away at a hot piece of iron. There was a furnace now in one of the corners, and he had already made a silver broadsword, and was almost finished with an iron pickaxe.

“Wow, you’re fast,” said Amroth

“Well, the physics here make this kind of thing easier, and I have made quite a few tools for others,” Said Adam. “As soon as this is done you can head into the mine, and I’ll build a house for an Npc or two.

Amroth made some stew out of a nearby rabbit, some wild growing vegetables, and mushrooms. He and Adam ate lunch, and then they headed out to do their jobs.

Amroth collected a few more mushrooms and plants as he walked to the cave. He crossed the small stream heading to the pond, and stopped to get a drink. When he got to the cave, he went down a separate tunnel that he had not gone down before, mounting a couple of torches on the wall as he went. As he went around a bend, he almost slipped off of a ledge leading down into a massive cabin.

One fourth of the cavern was completely infested in mushrooms. Some of them were the size of trees! All of them glowed brightly. The mushrooms illuminated the rest of the cavern. Metal glittered all over the walls, and he could even see some gemstones in the distance. There was an abandoned house that at some point had started sinking into some mud, but now the mud was dried, and the house was tilted into the Earth. There was a giant grey slime hopping around on top of the house. There were four or five tunnels leading out of the cavern, and a skeleton was hanging around one of them.

“Hmmmm,” Amroth thought to himself, “if I could avoid the skeleton by going around the other side of the cavern, collect some of those mushrooms, and check inside the house, all while getting ore Then I might be able to avoid a fight.”

He put his plan in action, and collected a growing pile of different ores. He got Iron, silver, gold, and even some platinum. He collected about 10 small sapphires, and a couple topaz and rubies.

Upon further investigation he noticed that the blue glowing mushrooms rejuvenated him slightly when he got close. He collected quite a few, thinking their properties might be helpful.

When he got to the house, he was confronted by the slime.

“Pfft, you’ll be easy to kill.”

The slime turned out to be harder than he thought.

It lept at him and he rolled out of the way, and brought his new broadsword down on top of it. The two new halves of slime both started acting individually, and attacked from both sides.

“Oh crap, they better not do this a lot.”

But they did.

Amroth had trouble fending them off. One jumped at his face, and he deflected it with the flat side of his sword, knocking it backwards. He felt the presence of the other slime behind him leap in a similar fashion, and he spun around to intercept it, slicing it in half in midair. Both quarter part slimes landed behind him, and he whirled around.

Now there was two quarter size slimes and a half size slime coming towards him.

He stepped forward and stomped on one of the smaller ones. It exploded in all directions, and none of the tiny remaining pieces attacked again.

“Well then, that’s how I kill you.” Amroth mused.

As the quarter slime jumped at him, he kicked it in midair. It went flying, and stuck to the side of the house. He rushed forwards, and slammed it into nothingness with the hilt of his sword.

As the remaining half attempted to hop away, Amroth turned, pulling a chunk of mined stone out of his pouch, and hurled it. The slime exploded on impact, and was defeated.

Amroth turned to the house, panting, and opened the door, leaping backwards as it opened, to avoid a surprise from another slime.

There was no enemy inside, but there was a gold chest and a giant crystal heart, just as Adam had described. He smashed the heart with his hammer, and what remained was a smaller version of the heart, that he slipped into his pouch.

He approached the chest, and opened it cautiously. Inside was a bottle, 2 gold coins, a stick of dynamite, some grenades, and a yellow potion. He took it all, and on close inspection discovered that the bottle contained a small cloud in it. He slipped it in his pouch will the other items.

He even took the chest by breaking it off the floor with his hammer, and sticking it in his pouch, the mouth of the leather pouch widening unnaturally as he fit it in.

As Amroth left the house, he closed the door, and the skeleton heard it. It started to walk closer to him.

The approaching skeleton had a mining hat that was on, a grappling hook on his belt, and a copper pickaxe on his back. The skeleton stopped about 10 feet from Amroth, and pulled out 2 matching Gold broadswords. It was evident that if Amroth ran, the skeleton would give chase, and it wouldn’t be easy to ascend the small hill that led back up to the tunnel Amroth came out of.

“Oh great,” he muttered. He pulled out his sword, and dropped into a ready stance, with his knees bent, but the skeleton didn’t respond, so Amroth made the first move.

He rushed the skeleton, fainted an attack to the left, and brought his sword down towards the Skelton’s head. The skeleton blocked with one of the swords, and stabbed towards Amroth’s chest. Amroth jumped back just in time, and swung again. Their swords clashed, and sparks flew off them.

The slashed back and forth, dodging and blocking, but Amroth could tell he was losing. The skeleton dealt him a rough blow to his side, but the armor took most of the beating. Adrenaline rushed through him. During one exchange, the skeleton fainted with his left sword, swung down towards Amroth’s head with his right, and as Amroth reached up to block, the skeleton brought down his left sword, dealing a ragged cut in Amroth’s leg.

He barely felt it, though he knew it was a bad injury, and would be his downfall if he didn’t win soon. Desperate, he swung his sword as hard as he could towards the skeleton’s face, making him block with both swords, putting them in a lock, a test of strength. He knew the skeleton would win, as it was quite strong for something that had already been dead for a while, but he had a trick in mind. With his left hand he reached into his pouch and pulled out his pickaxe, swung around, and hooked it around one of the skeleton’s swords. The strength of his spin yanked the sword out of the skeletons hand, which Amroth hurled through the skeletons rib cage.

3 of the skeleton’s ribs broke, but it didn’t do much damage. At least the skeleton now had one sword. Amroth could feel his strength waning. Still sparing with his right hand, he pulled out another tool, this time his hammer. The skeleton didn’t expect it, and Amroth landed a good solid blow to its head.

Stunned, the skeleton staggered backwards, and Amroth sliced it clean in half with his sword. The skeleton, still alive, attempted to defend itself lying on its back, while its legs staggered off. Amroth threw his sword to his side, and smashed the skeleton again with the hammer, this time crushing it’s skull into tiny fragments, and silencing it for good. He retrieved his sword, and stuck it into his pouch, along with the hammer. He picked up the Skeleton’s sword. It was high quality metalwork, and it was quite better than his sword. He kept them both.

Kneeling down Amroth took the grappling hook from the corpse, and discarded the mining helmet, which had been badly damaged during the fight.

His leg started to burn as his adrenaline faded, and he suddenly felt very tired. He shuffled around in his pouch, and pulled out one of the 3 red vials. He drank some of the potion, and poured the rest on the wound, mainly because he wasn’t sure which would work better. It seemed to work, and his leg almost instantly felt better. The wound closed up, with barely any trace that there had ever been a massive cut.

He was still bone tired, and used the grappling hook to help him ascend from the cave. Once outside he realized there were 2 houses. He walked back, stopping again for a drink from the stream. He walked inside the house, and noticed it was almost exactly like the one he and the guide were living in.

There was a common room, with a kitchen, and a table to eat at. There was also a soft chair made out of the silk Adam had woven from cobwebs. There were 3 bedrooms, instead of 2, and 2 bathrooms with a washbasin and a mirror in each.

He returned to his home and told Adam about what had occurred

“Oh, I forgot to mention,” said Adam, “you should only ever use one potion at a time. Having 2 in quick succession can be dangerous. Your leg will feel sore tomorrow, but it’s better than having a giant cut in your leg.

“Ok, what about those glowing mushrooms?” asked Amroth.

“Those we can crush into a powder, and use to upgrade your potions.”

“And about the houses, will Npcs move into those?”

“Yeah, we should have 1 or 2 by tomorrow. If we’re lucky we’ll have 3 by tomorrow night. If we get a merchant, we can buy more potions, arrows, shurikens, and even glow sticks. Tonight though, we should crush up that heart crystal. If we do that, you can drink the powder in some tea, and you will become more resistant to injury.”

“Really?”

“Yep, once you have a lot of those, a fall that would normally break your ankle, would just make you sore for 10 minutes or so.”

“Sweet!”

“Yeah, also, they make you resistant to paper cuts.”

Adam made the tea for Amroth, which he drank, before crawling into the bed. The sun hadn’t even set yet, but he was dead tired.

“goodnight.”

The next day, Amroth mostly stayed at the house. The guide was busy crafting with the materials that Amroth had brought him from mining. He reinforced the golden sword Amroth got from the fight, made a gold chest plate and silver legs, and Amroth kept his silver helmet.

A merchant and nurse had moved in. Their names were Isaac, and Amy. The merchant sold a lot of seemingly useful stuff, rope, glow sticks, shurikens, but Amroth didn’t buy anything except for 3 more health potions

Amroth got an iron bow, and he spent an hour or so collecting materials to make arrows. He got a total of 500, and they were easy to reload from his pouch.

His leg bothered him occasionally, but not all that much. He took a nap, and killed some slimes. The day soon came to a close, and Amroth felt anything but tired.

“I recommend you go out tonight. I know I said that the zombies are dangerous, but if you could handle a skeleton, you can handle a few of them. The demon eyes are pretty easy to slice out of the sky as well. The main reason to go out at night is to collect the falling stars that disappear at dawn. They unlock a power inside all of us, which we can use for magic.” Explained Adam.

“Wait, seriously?” Asked Amroth. “Well, now that I think about it, that’s not the weirdest thing I’ve seen here.”

“Yeah, just make sure you return before sunrise, otherwise the stars will disappear.”

The zombies were pretty easy to take out. The demon eyes were simple as well, and were easy to keep at bay with a couple of slashes. Amroth just had to be alert. One time, when he wasn’t paying attention, a zombie snuck up behind him, and dealt him a blow to the back. The armor stopped all the damage, but it still made him jump.

The first fallen star he saw, he picked up. As soon as he did he felt a strange power inside him stir, but as soon as he put it in his pouch, the feeling was gone.

When he got home, Adam combined the stars into groups of five. Amroth had collected a total of 27 stars. The combined groups formed crystal stars, similar to those of the crystal hearts, except in a star shape, and they were the color blue. Adam ground the stars into a powder, and again Amroth drank them in a tea.

The power inside him awoke again, but quite a bit stronger this time, and the feeling stayed with him as he fell asleep.

When Amroth awoke at noon, Adam had fashioned a staff made out of 8 of the sapphires Amroth had found, and 10 silver bars. Adam spent the rest of the day teaching Amroth how to channel his mana to use magic.

“What you need to do is find the power that the mana brings out that is nestled among your thoughts. You need the think about it, focus on it, and pull it out. Project that power out through your staff. Let it discharge through your hands and into the staff. The more power you build up, the more power the staff shoots out at your enemies.” Adam Explained.

Amroth tried it, and only managed a weak blue bolt, that struck a tree and left a small blackened mark.

“Focus,” said Adam

He tried again, and this time the blue bolt was clearer, and lit up the trees as it passed.

“Try charging up the staff.” Urged Adam.

Adam pushed his power into the staff, he held the power back though, forcing as much into the staff as possible, cramming it in. When he released it, he felt the feeling of the mana rush out of him, and the blue bolt was so bright, it looked like someone was shining a flashlight in Amroth’s face. They squinted to see what would happen

The bright blue bolt struck the base of a tree, and a loud cracking noise filled the air. The base of the tree shattered, and the rest toppled over. What was the most amazing though, was that the bolt continued through, and resulted in 3 more trees falling over with the same fate.

“Wow!” Adam exclaimed. “Almost nobody else I’ve seen has had that much power from only 5 mana crystals!”

Within a couple minutes, the power had returned, and Amroth no longer felt so drained.

“Ok,” said Adam, “now onto sparring lessons.”

The giant eye stared down at the puny humans. One of them had just finished blasting trees with a magic staff, and now they were fencing. One of them couldn’t quite do it, he was physically unable, the eye could tell, but was showing the other some more fancy moves.

The eye’s eyesight was great. It had a consciousness of its own, and was as big as a small house. It was staring down at the humans, as it had nothing better to do. It was hovering in the air, about 20 feet off the ground. It was at the entrance of a giant, flying, translucent palace. The palace was made of gold, marble, and jade stone. None of it looked plain. The palace was huge, so big in fact that if the palace was made for giant humans, the eye would’ve fit perfectly into one of the humans eye sockets. It looked no bigger than a normal eye would’ve looked like in a normal house in proportion to the palace. The eye turned, and flew through the massive black iron doors.

For the next 25 minutes, the eye flew through the hallways towards the center of the building. In the center of the building was a giant throne room. A long blood red carpet, as wide as a small field, was laid across the floor. It was a total of 2 miles long, and led up to a black, red, and gold throne. At the foot of the throne was a medallion.

The medallion was made of more black metal. On the medallion, made out of jadestone, was a face. The face had a tall forehead. The eyes were sideways slits, and were the color of blood. The eyebrows curved over the eyes, making them look, quite simply, evil. The owner of those eyes would delight in making others suffer.

Coming down the chin, were lots of tentacles. Instead of suckers, they had barbed spikes. The tentacles hung down, like a beard, but some branched off in different directions. The entire head seemed to be made out of jadestone scales.

The face perfectly reflected the figure who sat on the throne. Each of the barbed spikes on the real figures face was the size of the eye. The figure’s entire body was made of scales, and it was a grey green color. It had big muscular arms, and thick legs, and was mostly humanoid in shape. Its fingernails were huge and pointed, and stained with blood. It had large bat like wings that were folded behind it, and were a sea green color.

The figure was Cthulhu.

The eye flew towards the throne, which took a full 3 minutes. Once there, the eye tilted its pupil downwards, in a sign of respect. The eye had large blue irises, and veins that were attached to the back of it like tentacles that flailed about when the eye moved. It looked like someone had just ripped it out of someone else’s giant face.

Cthulhu nodded, and the eye began to speak. It didn’t speak in English, but in a throaty growling roar. It would have been near deafening to humans ears. It spoke for a minute. Its pupil was scrunched up. Cthulhu considered what the eye had said. Cthulhu then spoke.

“I will give you permission, but make sure you do not fail. You know the light is not good for us, so wait until the sun falls.”

If eyes could have grinned, this one would have.

Machinery hummed. There was a capsule, with a boy, about age 17 lying inside of it. The boy twitched. Two white clad figures stood over him

“How is he?” One of them asked.

“He’s doing well. Soon we may have a fourth machine finished,” the other one responded.

“Are you sure you upgraded the system? Last time we tried to add a fourth one we lost enough power that one of them died.”

“Yes, we’re certain it’s ready this time. They will need all the help they can get.”

“Then if you are a member of a religious organization, pray for them.”

Amroth learned sword fighting from Adam for the rest of the day

Adam couldn’t actually fence much, because of his condition, but he could show Amroth some helpful moves. One of Amroth’s favorites spun the enemy around so that he could get at their backs.

After practice, Amroth slept. He slept peacefully, and was well rested when he was awakened by a roaring heard from the horizon.

The roar was distant, but loud enough to rumble the Earth. Amroth and Adam awoke instantly. They waited in their beds, listening, and quiet. Their hearts were pounding so hard and fast, that Amroth could almost hear Adams. They sat upright for 5 minutes, before the roar came again. It was louder, and much closer.

Amroth leapt from his bed as the foundation shook from the roar’s volume. He grabbed his pouch, and pulled out his 2 matching gold swords. He sprinted outside, with Adam limping along behind him. It was the middle of the night, and a full moon illuminated everything. The Npcs were out of their neighboring home. They stared at the hill on the horizon, and a giant eye began to fly over the hill.

The eye was almost the size of the house. It rose over the hill like the rising sun. It was blood shot, with blue irises, and a deep black pupil that was the size of Amroth’s entire body. The veins dangled off its back, if eyes can have a back. It loomed closer, and as it got within 300 feet of the house, it roared again. The sound was so loud; it forced everyone to their knees, with their hands covering their ears. Amroth had no idea how the eye could make noise. It had no visible mouth.

The Npcs hurried back inside, and the eye paid them no attention. It lunged at Amroth.

Amroth dove to the side, slashing as he fell. It left a small cut on the eye, but its hide was rough and strong, and it didn’t seem to hurt it that badly. Some smaller demon eyes spiraled towards Amroth out of the sky, seemingly driven into a frenzy. Amroth sliced them out of the air, and lunged towards the eye. He sliced at it 3 times, and dodged another lunge, but he seemed to do no lasting damage.

Some zombie wandered aimlessly towards Amroth, and he cut it down. He noticed there were a lot of zombies nearby, but none of them seemed to be paying much attention to the fight.

Amroth considered what to do. He thought that if he could get rid of the pupil, the eye would be useless, unable to see at all. The eye considered what to do as well. The eye thought that if it could get Amroth in a bad position, his weight would crush him easily.

The eye fainted left, and Amroth dodged, rolling to the side, realizing his mistake at the last second. While Amroth was recovering from his role, the eye slammed him into sideways. The breath was knocked out of Amroth, and he crashed into the ground. Amroth moaned, completely stunned, and the eye knew its victory was assured.

Then a flaming arrow pierced the eye’s side. It let a horrible shrieking sound, and again Amroth had to cover his ears. Adam was holding a bow, and loading another flaming arrow. He launched it, and it struck it again, this time in the Iris. Adam shot again, but it strafed right, and dodged the arrow. Right before it could attack Adam, Amroth jumped, and rebounding off of a zombie’s nearby head, launched himself at the eye. He landed on top of it, leaned forwards, and drove his sword straight into the center of its pupil

It shrieked again, and fell to the ground.

“Yes, we killed it!” exclaimed Adam.

The cheering was preemptive. The eye flew off the ground, and Amroth jumped off, pulling out his sword in the process. It was red with blood up to its hilt. The eye then did something unexpected. The front half of it completely exploded, exposing razor sharp teeth, about a quarter of the size of Amroth, and a gaping maw. It rushed unexpectedly, and Amroth barely had time to dodge, and before he could turn around, it grabbed him with its teeth from behind.

Amroth’s armor stopped the teeth from penetrating his skin, but the pressure was intense, and Amroth screamed in pain. The eye shook him, and threw him at a nearby tree. He landed against the trunk, his vision going black. He saw more fiery arrows being launched at the eye.

With a shaky hand, Amroth pulled out a healing potion, and drank the whole thing. It stopped him from passing out, and eased the pain, but it was still unbearable. He stood up shakily. Adam was engaged in combat, but Amroth could easily tell that he wouldn’t last much longer. His leg was bothering him. Amroth pulled out his staff, and began to charge it behind the tree so the eye didn’t notice him. He charged it all the way, which took him a valuable 30 seconds. He heard Adam yell.

“Hey!” Yelled Amroth jumping out from behind the tree. He hurled his old silver sword from in his pouch at the eye. It bonked off its hide, and did no damage, but it distracted it from Adam. Amroth could see Adam, frantically scooting away from the monstrosity that was once an eye. The eye turned, and Amroth released the energy.

The crystal blue bolt of energy struck the eye in the center of its mouth. It began to glow with a blue light, and it let out one last piercing shriek, before exploding into blue light and gore.

Amroth fell backwards, and the last thing he saw, was the lightening sky, as the first rays of dawn began to penetrate the scattered clouds.

Time passed. Amroth wasn’t sure how long he had been sleeping, but he thought it at least had to be more than a day. He dreamed of the girl Emily. He dreamed about his fight with the eye. He dreamed about the past world, but couldn’t remember anything about it after the dream was over.

Often during his slumber he heard the clanging of metal upon metal. He had no idea what it was. His whole body ached at times. Sometimes it felt like he was floating in space. Everything seemed blurry for a little while, and then came into crystal clear focus, before blurring into the background again.

When he finally awoke, it was to the clanging sound. He sat up, and instantly regretted it. His ribs and left wrist felt like they were on fire.

Adam looked over, and did a double take. “Whoa! Easy there, lay back down! You broke 3 of your ribs and your wrist. I’m amazed that afterwards you even had the energy to destroy the eye like that! That was insane. I think you’ll make a very good mage when you get some more mana crystals.”

“How long have I been asleep?” Amroth asked. “I had some weird dreams.”

“You’ve been out for about 3 days. I had to get help from the Npcs to carry you inside. I had to cut your old armor off. The dents the eye’s teeth made in it made it impossible for me to normally take it off.” He held up the armor. There were 4 large spike looking dents in it. Each of them went down about 2 inches, which would have pushed in hard on his skin. One of them was on his left leg, two were on his chest plate, and another was on his arm near his wrist.

Amroth felt a touch of sadness at seeing such a valuable piece of gold and silver that had been completely ruined by the monster.

“I can melt it down and sell it to the merchant if you want.” Adam said

“I think I may keep it, as a memento.”

“Ok, fine by me, you went through the work to mine the materials for it. Also, a dryad moved in while you were asleep, because you survived that boss, as she put it. If you need anything nature, she’ll be the person to go to.

“What will I do about new armor? Should I go mining again?”

“Well,” said Adam, rubbing his palms together, “I have some good news for you. When the eye exploded, it dropped a new ore I’ve never seen before. I’ve never even seen that eye before, which is probably why, but it is a dark purple color. I made it into a new armor set, a new sword, and a new pickaxe.” He held up the armor. It was a deep purple color, with lighter purple lines etched into it. The lines ran across the entire set, and it looked strong. It radiated energy, and Amroth could feel it even from where he was in the bed.

“Also,” Adam continued, “The dropped some more potions, strangely enough, which I stuck into your pouch. It dropped some strange purple seeds, which I think might grow some corruption plants, so we might be able to experiment with those.

When looking in your pouch, I found this.” Adam held up the cloud in the bottle. “I took some of the cloud, and fused it into your armor. When you recover, if you flick your right foot, the cloud will propel you upwards. It’s basically a double jump.”

“Sweet!” Exclaimed Amroth. Then he yawned, and he realized he was still tired.

“Here, eat this before you go back to sleep,” said Adam, handing him a bowl of soup.

Amroth barely finished it before he fell back asleep.

Amroth took about 20 more days to recover. He couldn’t get up for the next 3 days. After that, he could walk to the table and back, but it hurt him, and he couldn’t do much more than that. On the seventh day he visited the Npcs

The dryad was a girl dressed entirely in a dress made of leaves and vines. She sold seeds, acorns, purification powder, (which would destroy corrupted areas) and a Dirt Rod. The rod could magically move dirt, but Amroth couldn’t afford it. She wanted him to get rid of some of the corruption, but Amroth couldn’t do it in his state.

By the tenth day he was able to walk greater distances, but couldn’t lift anything heavy, or fight very well yet. But, by the 20th day he was back to most of his activities. 3 days later, he went mining again. This time he found 3 heart crystals, 2 gold chests, one of which had Hermes boots, the other one had a band of regeneration, and a water chest with some flippers in them.

His new pickaxe cut through the stone and dirt like butter. He got tons more gold, more iron and silver, a few diamonds, a bunch of rubies, and some emeralds. He killed some slimes, including one of the slimes he had to explode into fragments too small to move.

When he came across a skeleton be used his new sword to hold the skeleton’s sword down, turned, put a hand on its back, and pushed it behind him. He then whirled around and sliced it in half at the spinal cord. Once, a giant worm attacked him as well. He heard a sniffing/tunneling sound, and the worm jumped out of the ground at him. He dodged just in time, and it burrowed into the wall behind him. The next time it attacked, he dodged and swung his sword out, and killed it with one deft blow.

That evening the guide fused the band of regen and the Hermes boots to Amroth’s armor. The next few days were roughly the same drill, go mining, explore a little, fight some slimes for torches, help build a house for some more Npcs, etc. The demolitionist and the painter arrived. Amroth got another cloud in a bottle, which he gave to the guide. He found an enchanted boomerang as well. A zombie dropped a shackle which strengthened his armor. He got a total of 3 more mana crystals.

He found a Desert, and harvested some cacti for later use. In a desert temple he found a flying carpet, and it was amazing. He could hover on it for almost 10 seconds each time he jumped.

He kept the armor, which radiated dark energy. He gave it the name, Shadow Armor, and it helped him quite a bit. It was amazingly strong. Skeletons’ swords would just bounce off it, slimes couldn’t get a good grip on it, and the few vultures, which he saw in the desert, couldn’t do a thing to him with their claws. The Dryad kept pestering him to go to the corruption, and to purify some of it, or kill some of the monsters there, or to do something to stop its reign.

“You know,” said Adam one evening, “maybe you should go check out the corruption. Most people that come here go for the Wall of Flesh when they get gold armor, but your armor is so good, maybe you could go check it out.”

So Amroth did. One morning, he awoke, grabbed his pouch, bought some purification powder, and went to the corruption. It was way easier to get to the corruption than it was last time. His Hermes boots sped him along the ground.

When he came to the Canyon again, he simply used his cloud in a bottle to jump over the cliff and into midair, and glided across the rest of the canyon with his magic carpet. He landed without stumbling, and continued to speed across the landscape until all the plant life started to take on a purple hew.

He found a deep pit made of purple stone that led down into the Earth. He didn’t know where it would lead, but he assumed it was the heart of the corruption.

He heard a growling sort of noise behind him, and instincts led him to dodge to the side. An Eater flew past where he had been, its pointed purple brown body streamlined for the purpose of flying and attacking. Amroth knew that this would be a challenge.

Amroth’s dodge landed him in an awkward position, on a slanted piece of ground, and a little closer to the edge of the pit than he would have liked. He stepped backwards, and another eater rose out of the pit.

“Oh crap,” he sighed. “Maybe these are easier than they look.”

They actually were easier than they seemed, but they began to come in bigger numbers. One dove towards him. He dodged, and killed it with two strikes. Two more came out of the pit, and started to circle him as well. They seemed to work together, and were very cautious. They didn’t come close until they were almost certain they could land a blow. Before Amroth could attack again, two approached from further in the corruption. There were five of them now, and Amroth couldn’t watch them all.

One struck him in the back, and he fell into the grass. The armor protected him from the blow, and he rolled to the side as another one hit the Earth where he had been. Amroth stood up, and realized there were seven now, and that many could kill him if they all attacked at once. Desperate, Amroth pulled out his staff, and it lit up to his touch. Some of the monstrosities backed away, but most stayed in their circle around Amroth. He began to charge it, and one of them, seeing Amroth was distracted by the staff, charged. Amroth dodged and let loose two low power bolts of magic

The bolt struck the charging monster in the face, and it fell to the ground, dead. The other bolt clipped another one in the side, and severed most of its pinchers, and it began to flee. The other monsters were more wary now, but two decided to rush him at the same time, one from behind, one from in front. Amroth sliced the Eater in front in half horizontally, and used the momentum of his swing to spin himself around, and fired the staff’s magic into the other eater’s face, which exploded into a bunch of rotten chunks of flesh.

The last 3 charged all at once. He sliced one, but another hit him in the side of the head, and he fell to the ground. The third one rose up, and then dove down, ready to smash Amroth in the face. He thrust his sword up, and the force of the eater’s dive drove itself into the sword. He stood up, and the last eater fled.

Amroth cursed when he saw how dirty his sword was. It was covered in rotten flesh. He wiped it on the grass, and walked to the edge of the pit. He tied a rope to the top of an extruding, purple rock, and began to repel down the pit. If it weren’t for the armored gloves he was wearing, he would have burned his hand on the rope, but he slid to the bottom without much of a problem.

At the bottom there weren’t very many eaters, but there were some very fleshy looking alters. They were the same color as the eaters, and they had a flat top, with spikes lining the rim. They were everywhere, and they let off a dim purple glow. Amroth placed some torches, and began to explore. The cavern extended horizontally, and he went right. The cavern had lots of water puddles, and plants that were brown and wilted. When he walked down the cavern, he felt waves of energy rising up from the ground. They came up in some areas, and didn’t in others. He decided to look into this, and started to dig.

The stone was very hard, and it was difficult for him to break. He went down for about 10 blocks, before he broke into a small round cavern. It was only 8 by 10 or so blocks, and his head was about 3 feet from the ceiling. In the center of the cavern was a floating purple orb. It appeared to be made out of crystal, just like the crystal hearts. He pulled out his hammer.

In a couple of solid thumps, the orb cracked. A few things happened all at once. The world seemed to pause for a moment, like it was holding its breath and waiting for something big to happen. At the same time Amroth felt a chill, run down his spine, and he shivered. A musket and some small round bullets fell from the cavity inside the orb that had been smashed open. The world seemed to resume its normal activities. It no longer felt like something big and terrible was going to happen. He picked the musket up, and loaded it. He went back to the hole he had entered through, and used the cloud in a bottle to get back out.

He continued to trek down the tunnel. He encountered another eater, and he pulled out the musket. He shot it, and the kick made him stumble backwards. He didn’t think to account for recoil, and the shot whizzed past the eater, completely missing it. The loud noise echoed throughout the tunnel, and the eater didn’t even seem to notice it. Amroth reloaded, put his shoulder against the barrel, tensed his legs, and fired again. The eater was slightly closer, and the shot hit it dead on, and instantly killed it.

After another 20 seconds of walking, he felt the presence of another shadow orb below him. He dug straight down again, and found another orb. When he smashed this one, the same thing happened. This time instead of a chill, he heard some echoing, fading, screams that sounded like the remains of long dead Terrarians. Amroth picked up what fell out of the orb. It looked like his band of regeneration, but it was a dark purple color. He put it in his pouch, and left the small cavern.

His Hermes boots sped him down the tunnel. An eater tried to stop him, but he simply used his momentum to slice through it, and kept on charging down the tunnel. After a while, he felt that strange presence again, and he decided this would be the last one he would break. He could see an exit from the tunnel. It was a large shaft the shot upwards like a straw out of a dark drink.

Once again excavated a small drop into the cavern below, and broke the orb. There was a roar heard in the distance, similar to the one of the eye, and Amroth cursed. He grabbed what was dropped, and saw it was a staff that looked like a giant stick covered with large deadly thorns. He jumped out of the hole, and looked around. He couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary. He tried out the staff. It summoned a big thorn covered branch that seemed to dig into and through the wall.

Then he heard the noise. It was a noise similar to that of a giant worm, but much, much bigger. As it got closer and louder, the ground began to shake. Amroth grappled the ceiling just in time. A giant worm with hundreds of eyes dug below him. It was made of lots of segments, which were all similar, and had the same fleshy color as the eaters. The top one, obviously the head, had big pinchers as well, and the last segment tapered to a point, and had thick, scaly armor. It was very long, and took 20 seconds to pass underneath him, even though it was going at very high speeds, almost 20 miles an hour

When it finished passing below him, he realized it would be easiest to fight this on land. He ran towards the giant shaft, and used his double jump and his grappling hook to climb his way up. When he was a third of the way up, the giant worm jumped out of the wall at him, and he barely missed getting run through by one of the pinchers. It smashed into the rock wall next to him, and it made a deafening crashing sound. It was the sound of rock splitting. He got another third of the way up before it leapt out of the wall again, but this time, it was smart. It came out of the wall above him, cutting off his escape. He held onto the grappling hook, which was stuck to the wall, with one hand, and with the other, he reached out with his sword. The worm was moving so fast, Amroth knew if he stabbed it, his sword would be pulled out of his hand. He sliced at it, and it didn’t do very much, but it did leave a small gash that Amroth barely had time to register before it barreled past him.

Before the worm ran out of segments to block the top, Amroth heard the digging behind him. Acting on instinct, he leapt diagonally off the wall, and landed against the far wall, before grabbing a hold of it. The worm, which he decided to call the Eater of Worlds, dug out of the wall where he had just been, and hit the wall just below him. The top became unblocked as it ran out of segments, and Amroth quickly jumped out of the shaft, and into the afternoon light.

Amroth was glad to finally be above ground, instead of stuck in the caves with that horrible monster. He walked backwards away from the hole, and tensed his muscles as he heard the horrible, degrading sound of teeth digging through solid rock and soil.

As if Amroth’s thoughts had summoned it, the Eater of Worlds burst out of the ground, and shot straight up 30 feet, before spiraling in midair and looping back to the ground

This would be a great time for some epic music Amroth thought as the creatures many eyes stared at him. He didn’t flinch as the worm impacted the ground. He stood stock still, as he heard it burrow under him again. He tensed, waiting for the worm to dig up from under him.

The worm took his stillness as an advantage. Yes, it thought. The worm was almost positive the stillness was out of fear, and it began to tunnel right under him, hoping to just swallow Amroth with the force of its burrowing.

Amroth’s instincts screamed at him to move, but he waited for the last possible second. NOW!

Amroth did two things at once. With his left hand he flung out the grappling hook, and latched it to a nearby tree, and he pulled his body around the rope so that he was attached to the tree. With his right hand, he thrust the sword downward.

The plan worked beautifully, and the sword lodged itself in the worms head, right next to its gaping maw. The Eater of Worlds flew into the air, with Amroth still attached to the tree, and holding onto his sword. The rope tightened around Amroth’s body, and he groaned, but remained holding on. The tree that the hook was attached to strained, and centrifugal force began to pull the Eater of Worlds in a big circle around the tree. It reached the peak of its ascent, and using the force of their trajectory, Amroth pulled. The boss’s head came right off and the rest of it flew into the ground, slamming into it painfully.

Amroth used his flying carpet to slow his descent, and noticed the head off the boss 40 feet away, the force of the swinging and Amroth’s pulling having thrown it into the ground as well. He stared at it, and the head twitched, and laid still. He heard the digging noise return.

Amroth turned, and saw the Eater of World’s body start to burrow back into the ground. What?? I thought I killed it. Not to mention, how can it burrow without its pinchers which were attached to its head? It leaped into the air, and Amroth dodged as it came up from under him. He noticed something that made his blood run cold. It had grown another head. But as he stared, he realized it wasn’t another head. Each of the eyes on its body was another head, each grabbing the tail of the head in front of it.

He sliced at one of its segments, and his sword glanced off its hide. The Eater of World’s weakest point seemed to be its head. It landed again and started to burrow. Before it could leap out again, something hit Amroth from behind, knocking him forwards, and into the path of the Eater of Worlds as it leapt out of the ground. Its head hit him in the chest, and knocked him backwards to the ground. He tried to get up, but he realized 2 eaters were holding him down, waiting for the worm to come crashing down on top of him. Thinking fast, he tried to find a solution. His arms were pinned, so he couldn’t stab at them. A thought came to him, and he flicked his foot. The cloud in the bottle pushed him along the ground. He felt himself crush a sapling as he slid along the ground. I’ll have to worry about the plant later, he thought, as the boss missed him, coming down where he had been just a moment before.

I wonder how I could kill this, he thought as he sliced down the little eaters that had pinned him to the ground. His mind was flying at 100 mph. My sword is out of the question. I don’t think my staff would be of much use either. It might only kill one section at a time. He dodged the Eater of Worlds instinctively. It was slow, but it would get the best of him eventually. I wonder if that new staff and musket I got could be of any use.

He pulled out the musket, loaded it while dodging, and fired it into the middle of the beast. That was where things got tricky.

The mind of the Eater of Worlds was having fun. It knew it could regrow later, so he was happy when one of his middle segments died. Its mind split into two pieces, and they began to work together. They were two minds, but they thought together.

What…the…heck… Amroth stood there with his mouth agape, and barely missed getting bowled over by another eater, which he absent mindedly slashed out of the air. He then pulled out the staff, which he decided on a whim to call Vile Thorn, and let the magic of the mana stars food his mind. He heard digging to his right and to his left. They were going to sandwich him. He jumped into the air, and propelled himself up with his cloud in a bottle. He hovered on the flying carpet as the two sections jumped out of the ground heading right towards him. He fired vile thorn into the mouth of one of the sections, and focused on landing on the body of the other. He landed on its scaly brown hide, and shot vile thorn into one of its eyes.

He jumped off, and looked back. Vile thorn had ripped through five parts of the first one, and split the one he had landed on in half. Now there were three minds, but two of them had slightly smaller bodies. The Eater of worlds was getting scared.

What is this new weapon? It thought. It decided it was now or never. It decided to give it all it had. Its three minds each took a direction. One was to push Amroth against a tree, one was to come from above, and the other was to come from below.

An eater, obeying its masters bidding, pushed Amroth from behind into the tree he had grappled to. He killed it, but he heard the noise from below, and from in front of him. Part of the Eater of Worlds shot into the air, on a trajectory to land on Amroth. Another segment was digging straight towards him on the surface of the ground. Ha, thought Amroth, he was confident he could win. This loser doesn’t know vile thorn can attack through solid objects. He shot vile thorn into the ground below him. A meaty, thick, tearing noise sounded from below Amroth. Amroth whirled around to the other side of the tree, and with all of his strength, shoved his sword hilt deep into the soft wood. The blade stuck out a full foot on the other end, and the Eater of worlds plowed into the blade with such force, that he split in half around the sides of the tree. Amroth shot vile thorn through the tree at the last second, and caught the last part coming out of the sky.

Exhausted, Amroth pulled out his sword, and circled the tree. It seemed fine, surprisingly. He went over to the body of his enemy. Some purple scales and more of the shadowy ore was lying upon the ground. He stuffed them into his pouch.

He went over and checked the plant that he had slid across earlier. It was bent at the stem. He pulled out a wood block from his pouch, and supported the stem with it. He straightened it out, made sure it wouldn’t fall back over, and started his trek home.

Amroth walked home, lost in thought. The enemies he had faced so far astounded him. He had no idea what would come next, but he knew he needed to be prepared. He was determined not to let another monster like that get the best of him.

His armor was fine, Amroth knew, but his sword wasn’t working in his favor. He preferred his magic weaponry, or if he had something bigger, he could use his strength more to his advantage. He decided he’d keep the sword though, just in case.

He needed to talk to Adam about the next step, he decided. It was late afternoon, and the sun was covered by a few wispy cirrus clouds that floated in the air, like small pieces of cotton blown about by the wind.

There was a third house when Amroth got home. It was similar to the first NPC house that Adam had built. What surprised Amroth though, was that the first house was tinted a pleasant cyan color. It didn’t demand attention, but it made the house appear more like a piece of architecture, than a wooden shack that had been thrown together in under 24 hours, which it had.

Amroth stumbled into the new house, and saw there were two new NPCs living there. There was a Painter, and a demolitionist.

“Hey, How’s it going?” Asked Amroth, holding out his hand.

“Great, actually,” replied the painter, as he shook Amroth’s hand “Adam helped me paint your house, if you hadn’t noticed. I just hope it doesn’t rain before the paint dries. Oh, I should probably tell you, my name’s Darren.”

“Mine’s Gimli,” interrupted the demolitionist. “Don’t let Darren talk to long, he just goes on forever if you do.” Amroth shook Gimli’s hand as well. His hand was rough, as if he spent most of his life working. Amroth appreciated someone who could work hard.

“For some reason your name makes me think of someone who is short, has a beard, and carries an axe,” said Amroth.

“I get that a lot,” Gimli sighed.

Gimli was medium height, and kind of stocky. He had a beard, and a lamp next to him on the table. He wore a miner’s outfit, and had a yellow helmet with a lamp embedded in it. He pulled a bundle out of his pocket, and unwrapped it. He began fiddling with what looked like the components of a bomb. Darren didn’t look surprised by this, but he did take a step back. Darren was pretty tall, and wore a white apron. He didn’t look strong, but not weak either. He had a bucket of paint on the floor, with a paintbrush sticking out of it.

“Do you want to help me paint our house some time?” Darren asked.

“I don’t see why not,” said Amroth. “What color would it be?”

“Either red or teal”

“Speaking of teal, what’s the difference between teal and blue-green?”

“I know what it is, but I can’t tell you. Painter’s secret.” He grinned

“Well then, nice to meet you guys. I need to go take a nap.”

Amroth walked back into the house, and fell asleep in his bed. No dreams disturbed his slumber. He awoke refreshed at about six, and he and Adam had a quite dinner.

“The NPC’s want to have a meeting tonight, to decide what to do next,” Adam began. “They’re all coming in about 10 minutes, so we better get some more chairs.”

“Huh,” Amroth surmised, “I was just thinking about talking to you about that.”

They grabbed some chairs and tables from the other two houses, and set them up for the meeting.

Celestia, the dryad, was the first to show up. She went up to Amroth, and took him by surprise by hugging him.

“Thanks for helping with the corruption,” she smiled. “I know it wasn’t easy, and killing one of their main assets will keep them at bay for a while.”

“N-no problem,” Amroth stuttered. Adam was chuckling under his breath. She took a seat, and a minute later, Isaac the merchant, and Amy the nurse showed up. When Darren and Gimli finally showed up, Darren’s face was half covered in paint.

“Sorry,” he sighed. “There was an accident with a bomb, and a bucked of paint.” He glared at Gimli.

Gimli shrugged. “Guilty,” he muttered.

“Ok,” Adam started. “Shall we begin?” There was a general muttering of sure, and why not. “Well, Amroth has a lot of gear at this point, and we can just go for the wall of flesh, or we could wait and see what else we can find out about this world.” Adam continued, “We don’t know a whole lot, and I think we would be appreciative of some knowledge about what this place is, and what else we need to do.”

Darren spoke up, “There’s something I would like some help with. I have a friend named Dawn, and she’s a mechanic. I haven’t seen her for a while, and I think she might need help. Last time I saw her, she was off in the East. There was this giant dungeon like building that she said intrigued her. I didn’t want her to go in it, but she was adamant. I woke up one morning, and there was a note saying she had left for it. I haven’t seen her since, and I’m worried about her. The building was composed out of blue bricks that had little designs that look vaguely like faces. The front of the buildi-

“Ok, we got it” Interrupted Isaac. “But while we’re talking about it, I’ve seen that building before. It was a blood moon, and I heard agonized screaming coming from it.” He shuddered. “I don’t want to see it again.”

“Screams?” asked Darren, horrified. “We didn’t hear those!”

“Ok, ok!” Amroth broke in, “I’ll check it out. Does anyone else have anything that we should do?”

“I have something we should do,” said Celestia, hoisting her dirt rod over her shoulder. “The jungle is a dangerous place, and I don’t think you’ve been there, but it might be worth checking out. There’s some cool stuff you can get there. I wouldn’t mind coming with you actually. I used to do quite a bit of adventuring myself.”

“Fine by me,” Amroth replied. He found he was smiling. “Anybody want to contributed any more ideas?”

“I’m fine just making sure you all stay alive,” said Amy.

Nobody else had anything to add. Everyone went off separately to their beds, but Amroth decided he would adventure out into the night to find some more mana stars.

“I’ll be back soon,” He told Adam, and opened the door to head out into the semi-unknown.

Amroth’s journey into the night was uneventful. He successfully secured 27 fallen stars, and another shackle from a zombie. It was rusted, and less useful than his current shackle, which he had taken off his armor to make room for his other accessories. He stuffed it into his pouch anyways, deciding that it might fetch a small price from the merchant.

He had ventured pretty far North, and encountered some more forest and desert, but he didn’t see the corruption, or the jungle. Since the corruption was to the West, and the dungeon to the East, he assumed the jungle would be found down south. He crossed a couple of streams, and found a couple of caves for future reference. The air started to cool as he journeyed. On his way, he found a wood chest, with some climbing shoes in it. He took those, and the arrows and shurikens as well.

The air continued to cool. He couldn’t see a whole lot of the scenery, because it was just past midnight. Just as he was deciding to turn around, he heard a soft shoof beneath his feet. Amroth knelt down to examine the ground. He discovered the ground was completely made of snow.

I better wait until I have sufficient means to keep warm before I venture here again he decided, and turned around. On the way back, he saw another fallen star, which he collected, that must have fallen after he had passed the spot. It’s golden yellow light lit up the small hollow that it had fallen in, and he scrambled down to get it.

He got back just as the sun began to rise. He went inside his newly painted house. Adam was still asleep when Amroth entered, so Amroth crashed in his bed

His dreams were filled with blurred images of his life before he entered this strange new world, that Adam and the NPCs had dubbed the name Terraria. He saw his friends, his family, and most of all, the girl who wanted him back. He barely remembered Emily at all, but he missed her. The hum of machinery was constant throughout the dream.

He awoke at about noon, and the sun was high overhead. He noticed a new set of clothes at the foot of the bed. He changed into them. They were made out of silk, and the pants had deep pockets. The shirt was a deep orange, like the color of the sunset, only more concentrated, and not made out of particles in the air that are illuminated by the sun as it falls off the edge of the horizon. The pants were blue, like jeans, but with a hint of green.

He found Adam in a separate newly built room. He had moved his forge, and his other crafting objects into the room. Inside there was a loom, and Adam was spinning silk with it. He turned as he heard Amroth enter.

“Wow,” Amroth Remarked. “I must’ve slept like a rock.”

“Well, not really,” Adam responded. “We were pretty quiet so you could sleep.”

“Who’s we?” Amroth asked.

“Celestia and I. She helped me build a loom, then showed me how to spin and dye silk. I figured you might appreciate a new set of clothes, considering how torn up your old ones are. I just kind of guessed what size you were.”

Amroth looked back at his old set on the foot of his bed. They were full of rips and tears. “Thanks, I hadn’t considered that.”

A knock sounded at the door. Amroth went over and opened it. At the door, was Celestia.

“Ready to go to the jungle?” She asked. She wasn’t wearing her dress made of leaves anymore. She had a set of armor on. It was made out of strips of bark and wood, which were held together with vines. He had her dirt rod at her waist, held like a sword in a scabbard. The rod was a green stick with what looked like a big-clubbed end made out of dirt. On the left of the armor, was another scabbard with a knife made out of sturdy plant fiber with thorns making a serrated edge. Leaves decorated the entire outfit, which rustled when she moved, and looked impractical out in the open.

“Sure,” Amroth replied.

“Hey!” Adam yelled from the back room, and came running out. “If you find anything that looks useful at all in the jungle, bring it back. We might be able to craft something out of it.” He handed a bundle of dried meat and other food. “You might need this as well. When you come back, I’ll have a room ready for you to store your old gear.”

“Thanks,” Amroth said. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Bye!”

Together Celestia and Amroth traveled in relative silence. They arrived at the jungle within 2 hours.

Celestia sighed. “Home sweet home.”

Amroth was surprised. “You live here?”

“My ancestors did. Monsters have overrun it though. Even some of the plants have mutated into enemies by now.”

“Are there other dryads here?”

“Not really. There used to be a lot of us. I grew up away from the jungle, but I’ve heard stories from my parents. My parents lived here, but moved to a nearby forest, because it was getting to dangerous. That was three years ago and I was only thirteen.”

“Wow. What should we expect here?”

“Everything. I don’t know what’s happened here recently, but if we can restore the jungle to it’s original form, I bet some of the dryads would return. We should see what we can find.” She pulled out her dirt rod, and Amroth pulled out vile thorn. They advanced cautiously into the Jungle.

Undergrowth and trees had overrun the place. There were stagnant pools of water, and rivers all around. Piranha infested the waters, and small bats flew through the air. They came across a small river.

“Here,” Celestia said, waving her dirt rod. A small chunk of the earth flew from the ground, and hovered above the river. Amroth leapt onto it, and jumped to the opposite bank. She followed, and when she got to the other side, the dirt flew back to its original position.

“Well, that’s handy,” Amroth smiled.

“Now you see why I always carry it.”

“Ohh yeah, I need to get one of those.”

“I’ll teach you how to use it some time.”

They continued into the undergrowth, searching for a cave. As they walked through the grass, they heard a rustling, and a bunch of plants began to move

“Dang it! Pull out your sword!” Celestia yelled, just as the plants lunged out, showing large pinchers, towards them.

The plants were most definitely mutated. They were attached to the ground by vines that had visibly bulging sinew and muscles. The vines attached to the back of their heads. The heads were about this size of Amroth’s torso, and were flat, only about as thick as a hand. Pinchers protruded from the plant like flesh, and one beady black eye the size of a fist was on the top of every head.

The vines tightened, and the plants lunged. Celestia and Amroth stood back to back, fighting surprisingly well together. Amroth swung downwards with his sword in his left hand, cleaving a nearby plant in two, but it’s flesh gave quite a bit of resistance, and when his sword came out the other side, it was nearly embedded in his own foot. He fired vile thorn, severing 2 of the vines that attached them to the ground. It was going well so far, but there was so many of them. He knew that if they didn’t do something soon, they would be over run.

Celestia wasn’t fairing very well either. Her knife offered very limited range, and she couldn’t use it effectively against these enemies. She was swinging dirt around with her dirt rod, bashing them away. It stunned them but didn’t kill.

“Try uprooting them with the dirt rod!” Amroth yelled, bashing another with the hilt of his sword to keep them at bay. “Their vines are their weak point!”

Celestia uprooted two of them from the roots with magic, but this left her open.

“Duck!” He shouted, and whirled around, slicing one out of the air just above her head. A dirt wall shot up behind Amroth protecting him from getting hit in the back. He shot vile thorn through the wall, and heard more ripping.

Celestia had found a way she could do some real damage. She summoned a dirt fist from the ground. It shot up, bashing the two of the mutated plant’s heads into the air. She rushed in, and severed their vines, and they fell to the ground dead.

Amroth yelled something, and Celestia looked up. He yelled it again, and this time she heard what he said.

“Club!”

She raised her dirt rod, and a big club made of earth rose out of the ground. He picked it up, and swung it around, bashing away more of the plants, that they trimmed off at the stem. She launched him six feet into the air on a patch of grass-covered dirt, and he crushed a plant on his way down. He looked up, expecting to rush into battle and found just the remains of the plants they had destroyed.

They collapsed against a tree, and Amroth fished out some dried bacon.

“Wait,” Celestia panted, “How did Adam make bacon? We don’t have any pigs around here.”

“I… think this is dried bunny bacon,” He replied.

“Wait, is that even a thing?”

“It is now, I guess.” He chewed thoughtfully. “It’s actually pretty good.”

“Let me have some.”

“Aren’t Dryad’s, you know… vegetarians?”

“Why would we be?”

“Don’t you love nature and stuff? Like, you wouldn’t kill animals for food?”

“No, we love nature. Nature dictates the food chain, and it’s not the Dryad’s fault that we’re at the top. Plus, it helps weed out the weak and useless. It makes the world stronger.”

“Oh. That makes sense.”

After a short break they continued onwards. The jungle grew thicker with each step. They crossed a couple more streams, killed some bats that dried to dive-bomb them, and saw some more mutant plants attack a squirrel.

“What’s causing all this mutation here?” Amroth asked, as he watched the plants.

“Well, the dryads think it’s demons and stuff, but I have my own theory. I think that it’s some sort of virus, or infection that is spreading throughout the jungle. The infected plant and animal life all have a death wish, and attack almost anything.”

“Well, maybe we could test it some time.”

“That would be great, actually. I need to find out what’s changing the Jungle!”

They walked in silence until they came upon a light green slime. Amroth sliced at it, but it was more buoyant than a normal slime, and the sword bounced off.

“Witchcraft!” Amroth yelled sarcastically

“Nah, this is just a jungalized green slime, it’s more resistant to swords. Try this.” She raised the dirt club out of the ground again. He smashed downwards, and the slime exploded like a water balloon.

They came across a cave. Amroth pulled a glow stick out of his pouch, and tossed it into the cavern. It fell a ways before landing against a cavern floor thirty feet below. Without a second though Amroth jumped downwards and flicked his foot to double jump and stop his fall a couple feet from the ground. Celestia followed, building platforms below her feet as she ran down into the cavern.

The cavern was large and spacious, and made out of mud that grew numerous plants, even in the relative darkness. Large vines hung from the ceiling. Amroth tried to grapple the ceiling, but it was too high. He ran, jumped off the wall, and grappled it, this time successfully. He cut down some of the vines, and landed by double jumping again

“What’s this for?” Celestia asked, pointing at the vines.

“You never know when you might need vines,” he replied.

A muddy tunnel led to another spacious cavern, but this one was three times larger, and had many protruding ledges. There were large hornets the size of a person flying around. Amroth couldn’t see a nest, but he wondered how big it would have to be to support that many hornets, and of such size and magnitude. There was one of the evil plants, but it was bigger, stronger, and was tinted red. A small house made out of shining bricks resided at the bottom of the cavern.

Amroth turned to Celestia, “Shall we descend?”

“I don’t know,” she responded, “most mutated creatures are violent, remember?”

“Yes, but they’re vulnerable in the air. We could probably take them out by throwing dirt at their wings, then they’d be useless.”

“Good idea.”

Amroth stuck his Grappling hook to the lip of the edge at the tunnel.

“Well,” he said, “Here goes nothing.”

Amroth swung on his grappling hook that was attached to the ceiling. He fell through open air, and landed on a hornet’s back, driving it to the ground. Its body broke his fall, and killed the hornet. He looked up to see…nothing

Celestia had made some dirt from the ceiling fall and crush another hornet, but the rest were completely gone. She was currently descending down some hovering dirt steps. When she got to the bottom, they fell to the ground.

“I’ll still can’t get over that whole dirt rod thing,” Amroth commented.

She laughed, “Neither can I, and I’ve had it for 5 years. Where do you think all the hornets went?” She gestured at the empty cavern.

“I have no idea. Back to their nest?”

“Probably. Where else would they have flown off to?”

“I don’t know. should we check out that house down there?”

“Of course.”

They descended again, and when they reached the bottom, they discovered that the house wasn’t actually a house. It was a shrine of some sort. It was open on both ends, and was made out of tin brick. There was a chest inside, surrounded by green torches. They looked in the chest. Inside, was a bracelet that was made out of plants. It looked like long leaves intertwined, and braided together. In the center was a shining ruby, which glinted like a star in the night sky.

“Wow,” Celestia remarked. “I’ve heard of these. It’s called an Aglet of the Wind. Supposedly it makes you move faster, but if you combine it with different items, you can really speed yourself up.”

“I’ll have Adam take a look at it. I wonder what he could do with it,” Amroth mused.

Amroth moved towards the other opening, when a crazy plant lunged towards the opening. Amroth jumped back, and launched Vile Thorn at it. The monster screeched in pain, but kept coming. Amroth saw that it was tinged red, and looked stronger than the plants they had previously encountered. He was about to pull out his sword, when a wall of dirt fell on the plant, crushing it to the ground. It pulled out from under the dirt, but was blocked by the wall.

“We shouldn’t bother killing it,” Celestia said, shaking slightly. “I’ve never seen one that was that strong.”

“Exactly,” Amroth replied. “I want to take its vine. Did you see how strong it was? I could make a better grappling hook or something out of it.”

“Ok,” She said, hesitantly. “Be careful. On my mark; three, two, one.” She threw the dirt wall backwards, and he rushed in at full speed

The plant was knocked backwards, and Amroth rushed in, and severed the head off the vine. The kill was made easier, by the fact that he had already wounded it. He cut the vine out of the ground. It was as thick as his wrist, and it flexed and bent easily, without creating kinks or snapping. He stuck it in his pouch.

Amroth looked around the room. His jaw dropped. It had fifty or so little spores, which glowed in the dark. They gave the appearance of a city in the night, with glowing lights that sprawled out along the landscape.

Celestia’s call came from the shrine. “Hey are you ok in there!” When he didn’t answer, she poked her head around the corner. “What are you doing in-“ She saw the lights, and stopped speaking.

Amroth shook himself out of the daze. “I need some of these.” He walked around the room, and grabbed eight random spores, to preserve the natural beauty of the cave, instead of taking them all from one place. “We can probably use them for something.”

“You’re a hoarder, aren’t you?” Celestia laughed, “You always say you need this, whenever you find something cool.”

“Maybe,” came his reply. He was still looking at the beautiful plants.

“Ok, let’s go.” She pulled him out of the room, through the shrine, and one of the adjacent tunnels before he began to walk again.

After walking for a while down the tunnel in silence, Amroth spoke again. “Did you see that, or was that me hallucinating?”

Celestia smiled, “I have no idea. I would say it’s a hallucination myself, if you didn’t have any in your pouch right now.”

They walked for a little longer, and the tunnel widened into a small cavern. Amroth placed a torch, which illuminated a giant yellow-orange nest. There was a small opening in it, and they could see puddles of honey, and large hornets everywhere inside. The hornets noticed the light, and began to pour out, ready to battle.

Amroth cursed, and Celestia sighed. “Now we’re in trouble”

The hornets dived, and they leapt to the side. Amroth sliced a couple out of the air as they dove past, but it barely left a dent in their numbers. Celestia was summoning spikes of dirt out of the ground to spear them out of the air, but she was quickly getting surrounded.

Something hit Amroth in the side, through a kink in his armor, and pain shot up him. He realized it was a stinger, which a hornet had fired at him. He yelped, and ducked as another stinger flew over his head. The hornets were no longer diving; they were shooting at him from a distance. He brought a few down with vile thorn, but he and Celestia were quickly losing.

He made his way to her, dodging and blocking stingers as he went. He could see a stinger embedded in her arm. They regrouped, and focused on defending, barely keeping ahead of their enemies.

Amroth saw a flash of black at the end of his vision, and something dropped from the ceiling, landing next to him and Celestia.

It was the Servant of Cthulhu.

The only thing Amroth could think was; who the heck is he? Why does he only show up when I'm in danger? His lack of focus almost caused him to be speared by a nearby hornet.

The Servant, dressed fully in a black armor, joined the defensive circle, and began to fight back against the hornets. Everything seemed to click into place as the Servant pulled out his matching swords.

The three of them whirled around. Celestia would summon a platform, and Amroth would jump off it, hitting multiple hornets out of the air as he went. The servant rebounded off the platform as well, and killed the two hornets that were diving towards Celestia. Amroth threw his sword to stop an enemy from hitting the stranger from behind, he responded by tossing Amroth one of his swords.

They fought like a well-oiled machine, as if they had known each other for years. None of them got hit again, and within a minute, the ground was covered with the bodies of the hornets. None were left to give resistance.

“Who are you-“ Amroth began, but without saying a word, the Servant took back his sword, drank a blue potion, and disappeared.

The landscape was dotted with frosted trees. The trees bent and shook in the wind, which whirled around the small valley, howling like a wounded animal. Fresh snow, falling from a cover of dark clouds, was being blasted around. It stung any skin that wasn’t covered.

Amroth recognized this valley as his home, where he, Adam, and the NPC’s lived. The snow began to stop, and Amroth shivered. The air was cold, but he was sweating. Then a roaring filled his ears, and he realized it was shouting. It sounded from the hill with the cave in it to the right, and from the east, which was on Amroth’s left. From the hill, came a horde of corruption monsters, zombies, skeleton’s, and more beasts that Amroth could never have imagined. He even saw the Eye of Cthulhu fly over the hill, and the Eater of Worlds jump out of the ground. Something else surprised him. At the top of the hill stood the Servant of Cthulhu, holding two swords, and staring down into the valley. A faint shadow of a Titan stood behind him. It was three times taller than the hill, and had stocky limbs. Tentacles hung down from its chin. It roared, and the noise alone shook the ground

From the East, came Adam, Celestia, and the NPCs. There were a bunch that he had never seen before, and all of them were dressed for battle, with advanced looking armor. Adam was surrounded by tornado like minions, and Celestia had a deadly bow, with a huge quiver of arrows over her shoulder.

The two armies clashed, and with the battle came noise. It was horrible. There was a constant roar, with screams and clashing metal interrupting the fighting. Bullets, arrows, and flashes of magic flew in all directions. Amroth tried to run and help, but he was held in place, powerless.

Amroth stared in horror, as the army of NPCs was over-run, and all that was left was Adam, and Celestia, before they too got over run.

Amroth woke shivering, his heart pounding. He and Celestia were still in the underground jungle. After the fight, they had checked to make sure the area was safe, and then had made beds out of plant life. The ridiculous looking leaves on Celestia’s armor were great camouflage in the jungle. They gathered some of the stingers from the hornets, thinking they might come in handy. Then they had gone to sleep, even though they had no idea what time it was, but they were exhausted and didn’t care.

Amroth’s arm was aching really badly. He looked and saw two large holes, still oozing blood. The skin around them was green. It was an incredibly large spider bite. He tried to get up to get some leaves to wrap the injury, but when he got up, a rush of dizziness hit him, and he was forced to fall back into his makeshift bed.

He called out, but his throat was dry, and he was weak, so he barely managed to make enough noise to wake Celestia.

She shifted, and then came to consciousness. She got up. “Good morning,” she said. “How are you…” She stopped speaking as she saw his arm, and she came to the same conclusion as he did.

“Oh crap, is that a massive spider bite?”

Amroth nodded, not trusting his voice. She felt his forehead.

“I think you’re poisoned, and you have a fever. We better get you back to the nurse as soon as possible.” She raised a dirt platform beneath him, and entered the tunnel that led back to the main cavern, and then the surface.

The journey passed in a blur, but Amroth was slightly aware. He was aware enough to realize that it was early morning, nothing attacked, and that she ran most of the way.

When they finally got to the house, Amroth was brought into the nurse’s house. He was put into a bed, and fell into a restless half awake, half asleep state. The poison messed with his nerves. Sometimes it hurt like fire, and sometimes he felt like he was floating on a cloud.

He woke up a couple of times. He tried to eat, but could never stomach anything. The nurse changed his bandages a couple of times, and made him take some kind of medicine, but time passed mostly uneventfully.

When he finally awoke feeling good enough to actually do something, Celestia was in the room. She looked half asleep. He started trying to get up, and her head snapped up.

“Whoa, whoa, hold up!” She ran over, and pushed him back into the bed.

“Nope,” he rasped. “I’m getting up whether you like it or not.” He struggled out of the bed, and began to walk to the door.

“Here, lean on me a little.” He did, and it helped. They went to Adam’s house. Inside Amy and Adam were having tea, and talking. As soon as Amroth and Celestia entered, they both jumped up, and Adam’s chair fell over.

“Hey, what are you doing?” Amy was obviously flabbergasted. “Get back in bed!”

“No thanks,” Amroth replied. “I need to move around, I’m tired of bed.”

“Amroth!” Adam yelled, and embraced Amroth.

“Whoa, I haven’t been in bed for that long.”

“Amroth,” Celestia grabbed his hand, and looked into his eyes. “You’ve been unconscious for almost ten days. Your fever rose to 105 for a few days. The poison almost killed you.”

He was taken aback, and an uncomfortable silence followed, while he digested the information.

“Well,” Adam began, “At least I had time to use the jungle materials you found.” He held out two objects.

One of the objects was a sword made out of the sturdy plant fiber that all the mutant plants were made out of. It had a red hilt, and a green blade covered with stingers. It was very thick, and the serrated edge gave it a very deadly look. He knew it would be very helpful.

The other object’s use was harder to determine. It was made out of three sturdy vines, with claws on the ends. After some more examination, he realized it was a grappling hook. He could throw out three at a time, and it would make moving around underground very easy.

Adam put the objects on the table. The nurse stepped forward. “Look,” she said, “You really should be in bed.” Celestia walked him over to the bed, and pushed him in.

Adam brought him some soup, and he ate it quickly. Exhaustion set over him as the others left, but it was a while before sleep took him again.

Please remember, this is a support driven story, so if you would like to see more, let me know!
I can only have 100,000 characters on each post, so the next portion is on the next post:sigh:
Written by Excession.

Servant of Cthulhu cover-art.jpg

Last edited:
The next few days Amroth helped around the house as much as he could, but he didn’t feel up to adventuring. They build a new house, and some new guys showed up. A third guy showed up in the house with Gimli and Darren. It was the Arms dealer, and his name was Xavier. Xavier wore a dark gray-brown trench coat. He had darker skin, and a small black afro that suited him very well. He was pretty cocky, and always had at least one gun on him.

In the new house Sparkle and Hanno arrived. Sparkle was a party girl, and Hanno was a Dye trader. They clashed, but not in a rude sort of way. Sparkle had paler skin, and always wore pink. Her hair was even pink, but she did usually just wear blue jeans. She was very uplifting, and was always celebrating something. Hanno was Asian. He wore a turban and a dark blue robe. He was calmer, and always level headed. Hanno was very serious about his wares.

Adam made Celestia a bow, which she loved. With Amroth’s help, she fashioned a target, and painted it bright red. Almost every day she went out to practice, and could soon hit a moving target while running almost dead on. She was a natural, and soon began coming up with ideas for newer and better arrows.

One afternoon, when Amroth was asleep, Adam and Celestia left to the jungle. When they returned, they were both tired, but Adam was ecstatic. They had taken the exact same path that Amroth and Celestia had, and had visited the hornets’ nest. They got back at almost midnight, and Adam had collected a bunch of materials from the nest, and started working on some new gear.

When Amroth awoke, the set was almost done. It was made out of the beeswax from the nest, and was infused with magical properties from the fallen stars. He had fashioned a staff out of honey and out of the wax, and infused it with magic as well.

“Well, I’m going to test this out, want to see it as well?” He asked Amroth as he headed for the door.

“Sure,” Amroth replied. “What will it do?”

“You’ll see.”

They headed outside. The sun was just barely rising, and Celestia was already out, running around to practice shooting while moving.

“Hey!” she shouted when she saw them, “What are you guy doing?” She ran over to them.

“I have no idea, ask Adam,” Amroth said.

“Well, I just made a new set of armor and a weapon from the wax we collected last night, and I want to see if it will work.”

Celestia and Amroth stood back to watch, and Adam thrust the staff above his head. He yelled something in a language that Amroth didn’t recognize, and a strange rattling noise penetrated the clear morning air. There was a small puff of smoke, and three hornets appeared out of nowhere. Amroth took a step back, but then rushed in to slay the enemies, but halted as Adam’s voice reached his ears.

“Wait, don’t attack them!” The hornets dove down, and circled Adam. The sound of their wings buzzing filled the air. The hornets stopped circling, and hovered behind Adam, just hanging around. With a start Amroth realized they were waiting for orders. Adam pointed the staff at a nearby slime, and the hornets dove, firing venomous stingers at it, completely obliterating it, before returning to Adam.

Celestia laughed. “That’s awesome! You don’t even have to worry about your leg to fight, you can just order minions to fight for you!”

A thought hit Amroth. This scene is familiar he thought. It’s just like in my dream. Adam was summoning minions. He suddenly didn’t trust his legs to support him, and he sat down. Celestia ran over.

“What’s wrong,” she asked.

“Nothing.” His voice was obviously shaking.

“No really, is it the poison?”

“I don’t think so, it hasn’t been bothering me lately. I’ll tell you later.” He staggered to his feet, and stumbled to the house. Celestia stared after him. He got in bed, and fell asleep almost instantly.

Outside, Celestia turned to Adam. “I’m worried about him.”

“I am too,” he responded. “I don’t think it’s his confrontation with the wall of flesh that is worrying him. He’s definitely ready for that. Others with less skill and gear have beaten it.”

Celestia didn’t respond, she just stared at the house, as Adam dispelled his minions. The hornets flew off, and disappeared into the puff of smoke that had signaled their arrival.

Amroth rose from his bed at noon. He wandered outside. A bed of clouds blocked the sun out. Wind roared through the valley, and the smell of rain promised a storm. Lightning flashed in the distance. Amy was outside, looking out the clouds. She ran back inside before she noticed Amroth was around. The rain began to tentatively test the ground, before starting to pelt it at full force.

Amroth ran back inside, and lightning flashed nearby. Adam was inside his crafting room, and was reinforcing his armor set.

“How are you?”

“Good,” Amroth replied. “Need any help?”

They worked on making their armor and Amroth’s weapons sturdier for the rest of the day. Adam made the fallen stars Amroth had found into some mana crystals, which Amroth drank in a tea. They had grilled bunny for dinner, and went to bed.

When they woke up, the storm had passed. The landscape was dotted with puddles, and the air smelled clean and fresh. The air was cool, and perfect for adventuring. They had a breakfast of fresh fruit that Adam had collected.

“I’ve been meaning to ask you something,” Amroth said, through a mouth full of fruit. “Do the NPCs eat?”

“They don’t need to,” Adam responded. “If you give them the chance to, I think they enjoy it.”

“Why do you call the NPCs?”

“It’s something Hatch and I came up with. It means Non People/Player Characters. We know they’re not people by how they don’t eat, but they have never done anything to hurt us, and we trust them.”

“Interesting. Well, today Celestia and I are going to the dungeon, want to bring your hornets along?”

“Of course!”

“Ok, we’ll leave right away.”

Amroth and Adam walked to the NPCs house, and knocked. Isaac and Amy were awake, and sitting in some wooden chairs around the fire in the fireplace.

“Is Celestia here?” Amroth asked, looking around the room.

“Yeah,” Amy responded. “She’s asleep in her room.”

Amroth walked over and knocked on the door. He heard someone stirring inside

Celestia mumbled through the door. “Hello? Who’s there?”

“It’s me Amroth. Ready to go to the dungeon?”

“Sure, give me a minute.”

Isaac was talking to Adam, but he turned to Amroth when he approached.

“Want to buy some rope? You might need it in the dungeon.”

Amroth reluctantly agreed, and paid with some silver coins he had found in chests while spelunking. He stuffed the rope into his pouch. Amy gave Adam and Amroth some advice for minor injuries they might have to deal with throughout the dungeon, until Celestia left her room dressed in her armor. The three of them set off East to find the so-called dungeon.

They walked through the forest in relative silence. They came across a couple large hills, and walked up the canyon between them, and then down the other side. The area’s biome and weather didn’t change much, but they began to notice a slight increase in humidity from where they lived. The air became thicker and heavier. Amroth didn’t like this warm stale air as apposed to the cool crisp air of their homely valley.

They were walking through a clearing, when Amroth heard a slight wooshing sound. He looked up, and a bright orange light streaked through the sky, heading southeast. They had scarcely seen it, when half a second later, an explosion rocked the air.

FOOM!

The ground shook violently, and through Amroth off balance. He crashed to the ground, a long with Adam, but Celestia had encased herself in dirt to keep herself from falling as well.

Amroth sprang up. “What the heck was that?!”

Adam stood up more slowly. “I think it was a meteor.”

“It definitely looked like one,” Celestia added.

Amroth turned to them. “Shall we go check it out?”

“Sure, I don’t see why not,” Adam replied.

They walked to where they had seen it fall. It took them a little out of their way, but not much. It was about a mile of walking before they got there, and the smoldering noise alerted them of it before they saw it.

The rock was smoking, and it was about the size of a shed. The meteor itself was colored a reddish brown, and was made out of some strange metal that Amroth had never seen before. It was inside a massive crater, and some ash was still settling in the area. Amroth went over to it, and picked up a small chunk of the meteorite. His armor mostly protected him from the heat, but before he had held it for five seconds, it began to penetrate his armor, and he dropped it.

“Wow, that’s hot,” he said as he took a step back. The armor on his hand was still incredibly hot from the meteor, and he ripped off his armored glove, and threw it on the ground. His hand was red, but luckily it was only a first-degree burn. He took the canteen Adam had made for his adventures out of his pouch, and poured some cool water onto his hand.

Celestia and Adam were examining the impact site. Adam turned to Amroth.

“Once this cools, I bet I could make some sweet armor out of it. Is your pouch heat resistant?”

“I have no idea,” Amroth responded. “Shall we find out?”

Using his other armored hand, as quickly as he could, Amroth snatched the small chunk back up, and stuck it in his pouch, and waited for about five seconds, before pulling it out, and sticking his hand in it, to see if the heat had burned the leather. It hadn’t, so he tried again, this time for ten seconds, then for a minute, but the pouch wasn’t affected.

“Well, that’s extremely useful,” said Adam. “If you have explosives we could collect enough right now to take home after we visit the dungeon.”

“Actually,” Amroth grinned, “I got a few pieces of TNT from chests underground. Shall we blow up some Meteorite?”

He pulled out a stick of dynamite, bent down, and lit the fuse on a piece of the meteor, before chucking it into the center of the crater. The fuse didn’t even have to burn all the way down. The Meteor was so hot, that it burned through the covering, and detonated the dynamite. The explosion blew dust into the air, and when it settled, there was a large hole in the side of the meteor. The metal had split into cubes. The strange physics of the world still seemed to apply to the metal.

“That was fun,” Adam said, smiling. “Let’s do it again.”

Amroth did it twice more, and soon the meteor was entirely gone. Afterwards, they went around collecting it as carefully as possible. Amroth used his axe to sweep the Metal into his pouch.

They climbed out of the crater, and headed in an East by northeasterly direction. It was about a third of a mile before they stopped ash, and shortly after, the forest ended. A vast plane opened up to their left and their right, with a large hill less than a mile away, sticking out of the ground like a skyscraper in a city.

They ascended the hill, which was dotted with large limestone rock formations. They found a couple of caves, and the marked the entrances with torches so they would be easily found later, but didn’t bother to go down them. The sun was down when they reached the top of the hill, and were looking down into a small valley.

In the center of the valley stood a large navy blue structure, with pillars at the entrance, and a door that was made out of some kind of bones. As the full moon rose, a piercing scream emanated from the forsaken place.

They had found the dungeon.

An old man was wandering around just outside the dungeon door. They walked the half-mile down the other side of the hill, and walked up the stairs in-between the pillars. The door stood twenty feet in front of them.

“You know,” Adam began, “Last time I was here was with the third guy to be in this world. We adventured here one time.” While he was talking, his hornets flew off, and Amroth heard a zombie die by hornet stingers. “We came to this place, and reacted totally weird. He yelled: LEEROY JENKINS!!!!! And ran in the door at full speed, then a giant skull head came out and killed him, and before it could kill me, the world reset like it typically does when an adventurer dies.”

Amroth stared at Adam. “That is the weirdest battle cry I have ever heard.”

Celestia nodded her head in agreement, looking quite taken aback by the story. Adam responded. “I know right?” Celestia seemed distant for a moment.

Amroth turned to her. “What’s wrong?”

Celestia ignored Amroth for a moment, and directed her next question at Adam. “Did you say giant skull?” Adam nodded. “That’s the demon that killed my parents!”

Amroth could see that she was struggling to contain her rage.

“How about we go see the old man?” He turned to go talk to him, and Adam followed, with Celestia trailing more reluctantly behind. She obviously wanted revenge, but she knew if the demon showed itself, that she wouldn’t be able to take it alone, so they needed to reach a group consensus.

Amroth opened his mouth to speak, but the old man beat him too it. “You do not need to know my name, or who I am. What you need to know is that to enter this forsaken building, you need to free me of my curse, and destroy my master.”

“Who is your master?” Celestia interrupted the old man, obviously eager, but afraid to know.

“His name is Skeletron, and he protects this dungeon for Cthulhu.” The old man had a spasm and fell to the ground, and moaned in pain. “I’m sorry,” he rasped, “I am not supposed to speak of forbidden knowledge, but I have learned things such as this with my stay at this horrible place.”

Amroth helped him up, and the old man leaned against one of the pillars, and started to talk again. “Believe me, you would be doing me a favor if you killed my master, and, I would be able to come to your village, and I have some valuable info.” He had another spasm, which was obviously inflicted by an unknown source, presumably Skeletron.

Celestia asked him, “How do we summon your master.”

The old man turned to her. “You don’t. I do. Are you ready?”

“Wait!” Amroth shouted, reaching into his pouch. He pulled out 4 healing potions, and gave two to each of them. “Remember, you can’t have them in a row, wait a minute or two before using the second one if you need to.”

“Are we ready?” Adam asked, looking at his companions. He made sure his hornets were ready as Celestia and Amroth agreed to start.

Amroth turned to the old man. “Summon your master.”

The old man raised his hands above his head, and shouted a word in a different language that Amroth didn’t understand, before he exploded into a shower of blood and gore. The old man’s skull and two arms rose into the air, and grew at least ten times larger, until the hands were as big as Amroth was. It hovered in the air for a second, and seemed to take a moment to gain control of its limbs.

The beast roared, and using his hands, knocked the stunned group of adventurers backwards. Celestia was the first to recover.

She shot an arrow at the beast, and as it flew through the air, she summoned a large chunk of earth to it, and the giant mass knocked the beast backwards. It turned to her, and then spoke.

I remember you. The voice that Amroth heard wasn’t so much of a voice, but rather a screech of thought that entered his brain. It was painful, and he fell to the ground covering his ears, but it did nothing to stop the voice.

You are that young useless dryad. I remember killing your parents during a blood-moon. He grinned evilly. I shall enjoy killing you.

He rushed forwards, and into a wall of dirt that Celestia had raised out of the ground, but it broke through it without stopping. Both hands came at her, and Amroth jumped in, and intercepted it, slicing with his huge plant broadsword. A small crack appeared, and he ducked as the hand swung where his head had been. Celestia had engaged the skull in combat by swinging a giant chunk of earth around that she controlled with her dirt rod, but Skeletron didn’t have much trouble avoiding it.

Adam was fighting the other hand, shooting arrows while his hornets bombarded the other hand and arm, but they couldn’t do any substantial damage, because they couldn’t slice into the bone. Skeletron seemed most weak to smashing.

Celestia was still locked in combat, and seemed to be gaining an upper hand. While Amroth was checking on his friends, he forgot about himself. The hand he was fighting knocked him to the ground, and pinned him. It began to apply pressure, and Amroth shouted in pain, and lashed out randomly with his sword. Amroth heard the ligaments in Skeletron’s finger joint snap, and the top half of his index finger fell off next to Amroth. The top part of the finger itself was almost as long as Amroth’s arm.

Skeletron roared in pain at the loss of his finger, and Celestia took the opportunity to bash him to the ground. Before she could follow up with a crushing blow, Skeletron flew into the air, and began to rotate his head. He charged straight at her, and bashed her to the ground, before rising into the air, and slamming right down on top of her.

Amroth barely had time to register this, before the hand came back in for another swipe. He bashed the hand aside, before running in and sinking his sword hilt deep into Skeletron’s skull.

Skeletron roared in pain, and backed off. Amroth noticed that Celestia had managed to block part of the blow with dirt, but her left arm was broken. She tried to get up, but slumped back to the ground. Amroth pulled out a healing potion, uncorked it, and used it to heal her arm. The magical liquid began to bend it back into shape, and she struggled upwards, obviously enraged.

“Shall we work together now?” She seemed to push the words through her gritted teeth.

Amroth nodded, and she summoned a club of earth from the ground. The hand Amroth was fighting tried to bash them away, but they dodged it, and came in on both sides. Celestia broke off another finger, and as it tried to back away, Amroth severed it at the wrist. Celestia made a dirt platform, and leapt at the handless arm, smashing it into the ground, and raising earth up to bury it, sealing it off forever.

Celestia ran to help Adam, who was loosing ground quickly, unable to do any serious damage, while Amroth pulled out his vile thorn to distract the skull. While the hornets distracted the hand, She broke the forearm in two, and the arm retreated, helpless in the battle.

The three of them surrounded the head. Skeletron was nervous now, but he was trying to hide it.

You may beat me, but the sacrifices that you will unwillingly trigger will destroy you in the end. Skeletron grinned maliciously. You stand no chance. What you think will help you will end you. The world is against you.

Amroth was about to question it, but it charged at Adam, picking the weaker target. Celestia and Amroth came in from both sides. Amroth stabbed it hilt deep once more, and with the bash over the head Celestia gave it, the skull cracked in two. Celestia raised the earth around it, and it was engulfed forever.

They collapsed onto the ground. All of them were short of breath, and Amroth’s heart was beating like a bass drum.

After a couple minutes of recuperation, they got up. Amroth could tell that Celestia’s arm was still bothering her, and she cradled it, moving it as little as possible. Amroth walked over to her.

“Your arm is still bothering you. How did you fight when it hurt like that?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know, adrenaline, I guess.”

“We should do something about that, but I think it would be best to wait to use another potion until tomorrow. We should make some beds.”

Adam agreed, and the two of them set out to gather some softer plants, while Celestia made removed chunks of land to make little bowls of dirt. The put a layer of plants down inside, and the make shift beds were actually pretty comfortable. Celestia raised dirt walls around them to keep out the zombies. Their exhaustion aided them, and within five minutes they were all asleep.

Amroth was back in the valley, the snow was falling once more, and the armies were rushing to battle.

Everything seemed more vivid, but Amroth wasn’t where he was the first time. He looked down at himself, and watched as he gave the order for the fight. He was the Servant of Cthulhu, telling the monsters to kill his friends. He could only watch as his friends were once again killed, and the smell of blood and the sound of screams filled the air.

Amroth shot bolt upright and jumped to his feet, pulling out his sword. He was shivering and sweating, but there was no one around, except for his friends, who were stirring.

Amroth tried to put away his sword before they noticed, but failed horrible. His shaking hands couldn’t do it in time.

Celestia was obviously concerned. “What’s wrong?”

Amroth was still shaking when he responded. “Nothing… Well, not nothing. I’ll tell you later, we have a dungeon to raid.” He finally managed to put his sword away

“Ok,” she said, “But if you don’t tell me, I will dirt chain you to a rock when we get home until you do.

Amroth laughed. “Fine.”

They headed towards the dungeon, worked their way up the steps, in-between the pillars, and up to the door made of bones. Without a moments hesitation, Amroth pushed it open, and stepped inside, sword drawn, closely followed by his armed companions.

There was nothing in the room, besides a trapdoor leading down into the Earth. Shelves dotted with books jutted out from the walls, and a dim lantern hung rom the ceiling, illuminating the room with an eerie glow.

“Shall we descend?” Amroth asked. Adam nodded, and they walked through the trapdoor. Amroth made sure to leave it open behind them, to ensure an easy escape if necessary.

A series of steps descended into the dim underground dungeon. Blue lamps made the walls flicker with a cold light, and books continued to line shelves that hung off the walls. Their footsteps echoed off of the cold hard walls. The stairs turned in random directions as they descended into the dungeon, and seemed to not end.

A faint golden glowing stopped Amroth in his tracks, but Celestia and Adam didn’t seem to notice, and they continued down the steps. Amroth turned, and saw on a shelf attached to the wall was a book. The words down the side were releasing the golden light, which began to grow brighter, flooding the staircase like the rising sun.

Amroth held out his hand, and the book gently floated into it. The cover was made of leather, and worn down. A thin layer of dust covered the entire thing, but then the book shook the dust off, like a dog shaking water out of its fur. The book opened up, and dark written runes glared up at Amroth. In the center of the page, spanning the fold was a picture of a sphere of water.

Amroth suddenly knew what do to. He held his hand up over the words, and said something. He wasn’t even sure what it was, but it felt natural. A sphere of water rose off the page, and Amroth grabbed it like it was a solid object. The water was twisting and rotating, and was tightly packed.

He pondered this. Liquids weren’t supposed to be able to squeeze, and they filled up a definite space, but this sphere of water as obviously under a lot of pressure. He threw it.

It flew like he had thrown a piece of paper, slowly, almost gracefully through the air. It didn’t seem to be effected by gravity, and it bounced off the opposite wall. It flew back, and bounced off the wall again next to Amroth’s head, and continued back and forth. When it hit the wall the sixth time it didn’t bounce off, but let out the pressure, and exploded with a loud popping noise.

Amroth was transfixed by the book, and had forgotten all about his partners, until he heard one of them yell.

He sprinted down the stairs, which turned 4 more times, until he reached them. They were facing a skeleton. It was wearing a set of red, tattered armor, and lumbering towards them. Adam’s hornets couldn’t do much to it, and Celestia didn’t have any dirt. Amroth burst between them, yelled the words, and hurled the ball of water at them.

It pushed the skeleton backwards, and against a wall. When it and the skeleton reached the wall, the water bolt exploded, and the release in pressure ripped the skeleton apart.

Celestia turned to stare at Amroth, and Adam’s jaw dropped as he scanned the carnage.

Adam turned to Amroth. “That was AWESOME! Do it again!”

Celestia was slightly more controlled. “Where did you get that?”

“Well,” Amroth began. “It started glowing on a shelf, and it kind of floated to my hand, so I found out how to use it.”

“That’s cool,” she responded. “But, you need to be more careful when it comes to randomly picking up magical books off of walls. You don’t know what could happen.”

Amroth grinned. “Ok mom.”

Celestia laughed. “We might as well get going. We should see what else is down here.”

After another bend in the passage, they walked down a long hallway. It was filled with pots, and Amroth enjoyed blowing them up with blasts of pressurized water. Occasionally there were coins in them, and Amroth even found a key that he kept just in case.

Adam was joking with Amroth, when Amroth suddenly gasped, and grabbed Adam by the back of his shirt. Adam had almost fallen into a channel that ran straight down into darkness.

Adam gulped. “Well, that was close.” He paused, and then added, “do we really need to go down?”

Amroth paused, staring down into the black abyss that now dominated his vision. His eyes were straining to see, but they couldn’t. Amroth lit another torch, and then threw it down the chute. As it fell, it illuminated walls that were covered in some places by metal spikes. More book shelves hung off the walls, and the torch almost hit a shelf on the way down. The light descended for a total of three seconds, before finally hitting the bottom with a faint thump.

Celestia grabbed Amroth’s attention before asking “Do you have any dirt in that infinite void that you call a bag?”

Amroth looked, before turning the pouch upside-down. A mound of dirt about the size of a small table fell out. Celestia looked at it for a moment.

“Will that do,” Amroth asked.

“Yes, but it will only hold two of us on the way down,” she replied.

“Well then, I’ll see you at the bottom.” Lit another torch, and jumped down. The spikes flew past him, and the sound of wind filled his ears. As he neared the bottom, he realized the chute ended abruptly, with a spiky floor, and branched off in opposite directions, like he was falling down into the middle of a hallway.

At the last second he activated his cloud in a bottle, and grappled onto the ceiling of the hallway, which flung him sideways. He pulled the hook off the wall, and landed safely on the floor of the corridor, sliding a couple feet from the force of his grapple.

“You okay?!” Celestia shouted down from the top of the chute.

“Yes!” He responded.

Fifteen seconds later the bottom of a dirt platform entered his vision, and as it lowered, he saw Celestia and Adam on top of it.

Adam was smiling. “You’re crazy.”

“Tell me something I don’t know,” Amroth responded, also grinning.

Celestia sighed. “Come on, let’s keep going.”

The party of adventurers took one of the paths, and left one of the torches as a reminder from where they came. As they continued, the torch became unnecessary because the small blue lamps began to line the walls. Amroth also began to notice strange blue candles. They were the color of the water bolt that came out of his spell tome, and gave off a strange aura that felt almost like it was encouraging the monsters.

Amroth heard a clack behind him, and spun. Without thinking, he threw a bolt of water backwards. It hit a skeleton that was hiding in the shadows, and obliterated it.

Celestia was laughing. “That scared the living daylights out of me.”

Amroth smiled. “Same here. I’m just glad it wasn’t one of you guys.”

They continued on, until they came to a huge room that didn’t make any sense. The ceiling was about eighty feet above their heads. Banners and pictures hung on the walls, which jutted out seemingly at random. A couple doors hung in the air, coming straight out of the wall with nothing to stand on in front of them. They opened out into the open air, and as they watched, a skeleton came out of one of the doors, before falling 40 feet to the ground. The brittle bones shattered on impact.

Amroth and his friends were standing on a small ledge that was about 20 feet above the room’s floor. On the floor of the room, six skeletons shuffled around. There was another gapping chute in a corner, and a treasure chest was padlocked in another. A few old clay pots dotted the area as well.

Suspended by chains, about fifty feet above the floor, was a small platform with another chest.

“Shall we take on these skeletons?” Amroth asked, ready to jump at a moment’s notice.

“Sure, why not?” Celestia made a platform, and they got on with Adam. Amroth jumped, and they engaged the skeletons

Amroth blasted one in the face with water bolt, completely obliterating it, while taking on the other with his jungle blade. The other one was quickly crushed under the large, sharp weapon.

Celestia had made quick work of hers by slamming the pile of dirt down on their heads. Adam distracted his two with his hornets, while knocking their skulls off with some blunt arrows. He then simply stomped on the decapitated skeleton, and they crumbled to dust.

The fight was surprisingly easy, and they explored the room in further depth. In a pot, Amroth found a golden key.

“Well, these skeletons aren’t effective at hiding anything at all.” He walked over to the chest in the corner, and opened it. Inside he found a grey pistol. It was sturdy, and looked pretty deadly.

After a moment of conversation, they decided to give it to Celestia. After they got back, they could find a way to get some ammo.

After they had just decided, Amroth heard a noise that sounded like a throbbing hum, and a small pop. They turned, and saw a skeleton dressed in a blue robe appear on one of the many ledges of the room. It raised up its arms and in between his hands a sphere of water that looked exactly like Amroth’s spell appeared. He threw it, and quickly two more followed it. Amroth sliced at one with his sword, and even though it wasn’t moving at high velocity, the ball exploded, blasting Amroth’s sword away, almost knocking it from his hand. The other two would have hit him, if it wasn’t for Celestia, who blocked them with a wall of dirt. Unfortunately, the part of the wall where the water hit exploded, raining dirt down on their heads.

Amroth growled and fired a volley of his own magic at it, but the skeleton teleported to a new ledge before the magic could strike it. The skeleton attacked again, and they were forced to dodge another volley.

Amroth grabbed his friends’ attention. “Next time it attacks, shoot the water bolts with your bows.”

Once again it teleported, and attacked in the same way. The arrows whizzed over Amroth’s head, destroying the attack preemptively. Amroth then grappled the wall behind the skeleton, and the rope pulled him towards the skeleton at high speed. He shifted his grip on the vine that his grappling hook was made out of, and stuck out his sword. Before the skeleton could once again teleport, the sword ripped through the bones, and killed it. Amroth let go of the hook, and activated his cloud in a bottle. The jump kept him from slamming into the wall at high speeds.

Amroth grinned and looked down at his companions. “Now, how do I get down?”

“How about you just jump?” Celestia asked, laughing.

“Fine by me,” Amroth replied. He leapt down, and broke his fall with his cloud in a bottle. He rejoined Adam and Celestia, and they conversed on what step to take next/

“Well,” Amroth started, “We should move on to another room, but first I want to try and find another key for that chest dangling from the ceiling.”

Celestia and Adam agreed, and they split up. This key seemed to be better hidden then the last one and it took 5 or so minutes to find. Celestia had found it on one of the strange platforms that jutted out from the walls. She tossed it down to Amroth, who grappled his way up to the dangling platform. He inserted the key in the chest, and turned it. The golden key unlocked the chest without a sound other than a faint satisfying click.

Inside, Amroth found a Katana made out of a dark blue material. When he took it out, the inside of the chest grew darker, and he realized it was letting off a faint blue light. It was very light, and very well balanced. There were some more potions, a few he didn’t recognize at all, and some dynamite as well.

He jumped back down, and showed Adam and Celestia the sword.

“Wow, this is incredibly light,” remarked Adam. “You should try it out against some of those skeletons.

“It reminds me of a story my parents told me as a child,” said Celestia. “In the legend there was a dark blue katana that was called the Muramasa.”

“Well, that’s what I’ll call it then,” said Amroth. “Let’s go find some more stuff.”

They continued down a random hallway, leaving a trail of blazing torches behind them. The air grew dark, musty, and thick. Amroth swung the Muramasa to provide light, and to get a feel for the new sword. When they came across three skeletons, Amroth had Adam and Celestia stay back while he tested his new sword.

The skeletons rushed, and as the first one struck downwards, Amroth side stepped, and delivered a few blindingly quick blows. The skeleton looked down, and then fell apart.

Amroth smiled, and the other two attacked as one. Amroth parried one attack, then dodged, and dodged again. The next attack he parried with such force that the blade flashed, and cut the skeleton’s club in half. Amroth stabbed the weaponless skeleton, elbowed the other, and spun, slicing both of them clean in half.

Amroth looked down at the blade. It pulsed, almost as if it was alive and had enjoyed the fight. “I really like this thing,” he said. “Shall we continue?”

They explored more of the huge dungeon. It seemed to have a pattern of having long dark tunnels connecting cavernous rooms. After walking down a hallway, they came to the largest room they had seen yet. Two sets of stairs led down into the unknown, and they could sense movement from the darkness. The walls were covered with pictures and banners that showed off images that pulled off a creepy look, all while still looking bright and colorful.

One of the images drew Amroth’s attention. There was a person that looked similar to Amroth standing in the foreground. He was holding, at his side, dark red sword with serrated edges and white designs that danced over the sharp surface. His armor had a similar design. He was standing in an underground cavern, but the entire cavern was made out of purple stone. He was deep in the corruption. There was even a small eater in the background.

What really caught Amroth’s attention was the thing the figure was fighting. The person was shooting a glowing green projectile of some sort at a giant worm. It resembled the Eater of worlds, but it was completely made out of metal. It had red glowing pockets all over it, and a huge jaw that was turning back to engulf the figure.

“Hey Adam, come look at this.” Amroth beckoned them over, and they all examined the painting.

“I…. have never seen anything like this before…” Adam ran his hands over the painting. “I wonder if we should carry it out…”

“We can if it is necessary,” responded Amroth.

“Well, whatever it is,” said Celestia, “I hope we never have to fight it…”

An echoing clack sounded throughout the cavern, and they all whipped around to see multiple skeletons advancing.

The team turned, and attacked back. Amroth blasted three of them back with water bolt, and then went to work with his sword. He jumped as a layer of dirt swept across the floor, knocking most of the skeletons off their feet. Two of Adam’s hornets flew overhead, distracting some of the skeletons. Amroth got to work with his sword, cutting down four more, but the horde just kept on coming.

Suddenly a caster skeleton appeared up on a balcony, and started shooting water bolts down towards them.

Amroth looked up, realizing the situation. “Celestia!” he called. He jumped, and below him appeared a dirt platform, which then jerked up, launching Amroth towards the enemy mage.

In reaction, the skeleton teleported, to another balcony that was about twenty feet away, and began to rapidly cast spells. Amroth cut some of the bolts out of the air, and ran towards the gap that separated him from the skeleton. He jumped, dodging another attack, and grappled the wall next to the skeleton. Before the skeleton could teleport, he let go of the hook, and used the cloud in the bottle to propel himself at the enemy, and cut it down.

Amroth turned, panting, and looked down at the fight. His friends were getting overwhelmed. Celestia’s dirt rod would have easily won the battle, but she only had her limited amount of dirt to use. Adam was managing to hold his ground with Amroth’s old sword that he had obtained in the jungle. Amroth used his vantage point to obliterate some of the enemies with his spells, then jumped down and joined the brawl.

After three more minutes of fighting, they gained the upper hand, and soon the rest of the mob had been destroyed. The three of them stood there, panting.

“Umm, can we go home now?” Adam asked.

The group started back, traversing the dungeon, going back the way they had come. They were weary from their battles, and were eager to get back to the comfort and safety of their homes.

Though tired, Amroth was very pleased with the loot they had gotten. He loved his new sword and spell, and they had helped a lot so far.

The only thing Amroth wasn’t happy about was the unanswered questions.

What was the demon Skeletron talking about? What was the picture doing there? Why did this death trap of a place exist? He pondered over these thoughts, rolling them over and over in his mind, as if turning them would reveal clues to what the answer was.

After around thirty minutes of walking, making sure they had missed nothing in the areas they had previously explored, they arrived at the huge shaft that led back up to the entrance of the dungeon.

“Amroth, do you think you can make it up on your own?” Celestia asked. “I can raise Adam and I up on my-“ She suddenly stopped talking.

“Ummm… Hello?” Amroth asked.

“Shhh, I hear something.” She put her hand up to her ear. Amroth and Adam followed suit, and they listened intently. After a moment, Amroth heard a faint sound coming from the hallway that was opposite the one they had explored.. A human, yelling something…

“Come on, let’s check it out.” Amroth motioned for them to follow him, and they moved silently down the hall, towards the noise.

After a couple of minutes of walking, they could more accurately describe the noise. It made Amroth’s blood curdle. It was a human, definitely female, screaming for help. The urgency in the voice demanded more speed from the group, and they started to rush towards the noise.

“Come on!” Amroth yelled, encouraging them onwards. Suddenly, the wall to Amroth’s right rippled, and a flying skull rushed out of the wall and slammed into Amroth. The skull was glowing, and seemed to be whiter than normal bone. When it made contact, Amroth’s limbs seemed to turn heavier than lead, and he collapsed to the floor with a groan.

Celestia reacted quickly, breaking the skull to dust with a huge dirt fist before it could strike again. She walked over to Amroth.

“You alright?” She grinned. “It’s kind of wimpy, being taken down by just a skull.”

“Whatever,” Amroth said over Adam’s chuckling. “Help me up.”

Celestia helped him up, but he immediately fell again. The skull seemed to have placed some sort of small curse/effect on him that sapped his strength.

Celestia stopped grinning. “That’s a weird thing for a skull to do. Here.”

This time when she helped him up, she and Adam got on both sides of him to help him walk. The shrieking down the hall continued as they walked as fast as Amroth could manage, but soon his strength had returned, and he was walking like normal again.

After another minute, they arrived in another room. This one was large, but not quite as cavernous. The shrieking was deafening and more sporadic. They almost immediately identified its source.

It was a girl. She had intense red hair that was tied back in a ponytail, and she seemed to be about 15. She wore red overalls and a yellow shirt, a mechanic’s outfit. What was most disturbing was that she was covered in cuts and bruises, and blood was dripping from her mouth. A group of skeletons, about 20 of them, stood around her, chittering in some language that Amroth didn’t recognize, mocking her. One of them kicked her, and she whimpered. Some of them carried knives, and a few of them were dripping with blood, obviously from the girl.

The scene made Amroth’s blood boil, but Celestia was the first to react. He could see that she was furious. She created a bar of dirt that she swept across the room at about waist level, so it passed over the girl, but pushed the skeletons to the far wall. Amroth sprinted after it, shooting multiple bolts of water to start weakening the force of enemies. Celestia and Adam followed, and soon the three of them were surrounded back to back, fighting off the small horde.

Amroth sliced through his opponents easily with the Muramasa. At one point, a dirt shield popped up, protecting him from an attack that he hadn’t predicted. He looked over, and Celestia was taking the simple route, and just bashing anything that got close. Amroth saw Adam kick a skeleton backwards, then shoot it’s head clean off with a blunt arrow made for impact instead of impaling. As the fight continued, Amroth noticed that one of the skeletons had left the fight…

The skeletons didn’t last long against the humans. It was strange to Amroth that the skeletons were always fearless, but one had left the fight. Even when there was only a couple left, they had always still kept attacking, instead of falling back or fleeing like he had expected, except for this once…

After the fight, they walked over to the girl. She looked up at them, grinned, and then winced. She took a deep breath and spoke.

“Thanks for that.” Her voice was ragged. “I wish I could repay you, but as of right now, I seem to be in pain.”

Adam grinned. “Well, let’s see if we can get you out of here. Celestia, can you carry her on a bed of dirt?”

Celestia nodded, and Amroth bent down to pick her up. “Sorry, but this might hurt a little.” He gingerly lifted her, but she still moaned. Celestia made a hovering bed of dirt, and he gently put her on top of it. Once she was secured, they started to move.

They walked down the long hallway, and came to the chute that led straight up to the staircase that went to the surface.

“Ok,” Amroth started. “I’ll stay down here with… What’s your name?” He asked. The question was directed at the girl.

“My name is Dawn,” She responded, slightly annoyed.

“Ok,” He turned to Celestia. “I’ll stay here with Dawn while you bring Adam up. Then you can come back for her, then for me. I don’t think I can climb up that with the traps and spikes covering with the walls.

Celestia nodded, and Amroth gently lifted Dawn off the bed and set her on the ground. Celestia started the ascent with Adam, and they slowly hovered up the chute.

After a moment of awkward silence, Adam glanced over at Celestia, and spoke.

“So…. How are you?”

“We’re riding up a dirt platform out of a death trap…. So pretty good actually.”

Adam grinned, and looked back at the wall in front of him. After another moment, they reached the top. Adam stepped off the platform, and Celestia started the slow descent back down.

Celestia was impatient to get back home. She wanted to sleep for a week on her bed. She smiled at the prospect of rest, when she heard something that made her blood run cold….

Amroth and Dawn were shouting down below.

Amroth and Dawn watched the platform carrying Adam and Celestia ascend the chute. After a moment, Amroth spoke.

“So… Why are you down here in the first place? I met your friend Gimli, and he said you were interested in it, but I don’t think that’s reason enough…” Amroth continued to stare at the ascending platform.

“Well….” Dawn started. “I first saw this dungeon when I was traveling with Gimli looking for someone who would pay for my services. The dungeon intrigued me, and at first I just thought it was ruins or an ancient building… Well, whatever it was, Gimli didn’t like it. He warned me that nothing good would come of it. I ignored him, and one night while he was sleeping, I snuck off to investigate. There I saw an old man, and I asked him what this place was. He replied-“

A clicking sound from down the hall cut off Dawn, and she sat straight up like she had been fired out of a gun.

“Amroth! Look out!” She shouted.

Amroth was in the middle of turning around, but he stopped at her command and ducked. A bolt of water shot over his head and exploded against the back wall. He dove to the side, and looked back. There were three of the skeletal dark casters that were shooting projectiles. He heard three more clicks, like the sound of his ears popping, and three more casters appeared on the other side of the hall. They were surrounded.

“Ok…” Amroth signaled at Dawn to lay low. She nodded, and stopped moving to try to keep the enemies attention on Amroth.

The skeletons kept the water bolts coming. Amroth dodged as many as he could, and sliced through the ones he couldn’t, working his way towards the enemy, but it was slow going to make headway through the attacks. He wanted to pull out his own spell and fire back at the enemies, but he knew if he took the time to get it ready, he would get hit.

This is stupid Amroth thought. I can’t get to them. If I don’t strike soon, they’ll overwhelm me. He decided to take a risk, and ran at one of the groups of casters.

It didn’t pay off. He felt something hard impact his back, and then explode, shooting pain throughout his body. The explosion knocked him into a wall. He lay there for a second, then rotated himself, and propped his back up against the wall. He groaned in pain, and looked to see the six skeletons preparing the final volley to finish him off. Amroth hoped that he could somehow survive, but a little bit of his mind was at peace. He would finally leave this living nightmare.

The incoming spells were only a few feet from him, when he heard a small tap and he turned to see a giant brown wall. The spells impacted it, spraying dirt everywhere, but the wall held.

He turned to Celestia, who was crouching beside him. “Thanks for that,” he groaned.

“Sure, but the wall isn’t going to hold for very long, and I think they’ll teleport if I try to hit them with dirt…” She frowned.

“I have an idea.” Amroth pulled the water bolt spell out of his pouch, and began to charge it. “I haven’t seen what this does fully charged yet, but I bet it can take out some of our skeleton friends… Remove the wall when I tell you.”

Small holes began to appear in the wall as the skeletons continued to bombard it with pressurized water. Light started seeping from the book as the water bolt rising from the page grew. Amroth kept concentrated on the spell, and he let it consume all him mana.

“Now!” Celestia moved the wall, and Amroth fired the huge bolt. The sphere of water was taller than him, and it took up most of the hallway. It flew at high speed down the hall, sucking in all of the incoming projectiles from the enemy. It obliterated all the dark casters before they could react.

Amroth sighed, and leaned back against the wall. “Well, that was eventful.”

“Here,” Celestia pulled out a couple potions, and gave one to Amroth and Dawn. “I can’t believe I forgot to give one to you earlier,” she said as she handed Dawn her potion.

“It’s fine,” she responded. “Though I doubt I’ll be able to walk still…”

Celestia nodded, and she started to form the dirt platform again.

Amroth stood slowly, wobbled a bit, but managed to keep his footing. “I’ll stay down here while you bring Dawn up.”

The next few minutes were uneventful. After rising up the chute, they climbed the stairs with Dawn floating beside them on the dirt bed. They emerged in the open, only to find that it was almost night. They walked over to their previous campsite, and reorganized the temporary beds. Amroth pulled some food out of his pouch and they began to eat. While they ate, Dawn recapped what she had told Amroth, and then continued her story from there.

“The old man told me that this was a dungeon that was used to guard rare and powerful items that would be dangerous if they fell into the wrong hands. He then asked me, if I could help rig up some traps for the dungeon. He led me down into it, helping me past the spikes and stuff, but I never saw any skeletons. I helped him make some dart traps, as well as some other assorted features over the next few days. We were about to go to the surface, back the way we had come, when a bunch of the skeletons showed up, and captured me. They left him alone, and he abandoned me, going back up to the surface, without paying me like he had promised. That was only about a day before you showed up…”

Celestia started to speak. “But…. Those weapons are in the wrong hands already…. The dungeon and the traps were to keep us from getting them. That means whoever Skeletron was working for fears them, but why…?”

Amroth yawned, then replied. “I don’t know, but I think it would be best if we got some sleep. He got up, and helped Dawn get over to the makeshift bed that they had made her. Everyone else followed suit, and after Celestia had erected dirt walls to protect them, sleep fell over the group.

Amroth slowly opened his eyes, and looked up into the blue, early morning sky. He lay there for a couple minutes, pondering the events of the previous day. He was excited to get back home, but wasn’t excited for the half day trek that lay ahead of him. He hesitantly got up. The movement woke his muscles, and they started to ache. The bruising on his torso from the blow he took yesterday hadn’t faded, and even small movements brought pain. He groaned, stretched, and then pulled out his hammer to break his way through the dirt wall protecting him, only to have it collapse before he could swing.

He looked over at the temporary fire pit that they had set up the night before. Celestia and Adam were seated, and Celestia was smiling in his direction, holding her dirt rod out. She put it back by her side, and then returned to her conversation with Adam.

Amroth wandered over and sat down. The conversation was light hearted, and Celestia was laughing. Amroth loved that laugh.

“Hello Amroth,” Adam smiled. “Celestia and I were taking bets on when you would wake up. I thought you would wake up at noon.” He laughed.

Celestia smiled. “But I won, so you owe me…… something…..” Adam laughed harder.

Amroth grinned. “What’s for breakfast? I’m starving.”

Adam tossed him some of the dried meat he had heated up over the fire, as well as some berries he had picked from nearby plants.

“Well, you’ve been productive this morning,” Amroth said.

“Nah,” Adam responded. “You’ve just been extra lazy.”

After Amroth finished, they awoke Dawn to begin the journey home. Dawn sat on the dirt platform that Celestia maintained, and ate her breakfast as they traveled. They worked their way back over the large hills, and through the thick forest. Whenever possible, they ran, eager to get home.

Amroth used the time to collect his thoughts, particularly about the nightmares that he had been having. They disturbed him, and as much as he wanted to believe that they were fictions of a darker side of his subconscious, part of him believed they were a message. A warning. He tried to convince himself otherwise.

They can’t be a message. My dreams aren’t coming from somewhere else. How could they?

Still, if magic was possible in this world, maybe visions were as well. He couldn’t rule out the possibility yet. Another thing that disturbed him was the painting they had found. Was that connected to his dreams at all? Or is it just the ramblings of a painters mind. If anyone would know, it would be Darren. He would have to talk to him later.

Another thing he thought about was Celestia. He realized that he liked her. Quite a bit actually. A thought struck him. Celestia didn’t act like an NPC at all. Was she even one? He would talk to her later about that.

Then another thought hit him in the face. It was such a huge realization that he almost stopped walking. Celestia looked over at him when she saw him stiff up at the edge of her peripheral vision, but she didn’t say anything.

What if I don’t leave? Amroth explored the possibility. It would mean that he would get to stay with Celestia and his friend Adam. The even better perk is no one would have to come to this world to suffer again. Nobody else would die to the unrelenting force of the monsters, as long as he could stay alive. But then again, if he died here, he would lose so much more….. If he stayed to develop a better relationship with Celestia, they would have more to lose if either of them died.

But still, didn’t the perks far outweigh the problems?

Amroth was so entranced by the idea, that he didn’t notice the goblin.

“Hey! What the?!” Adam’s shout brought Amroth back to reality.

A humanoid figure with blue skin stood behind a nearby tree, watching them. It wore a cap, a loincloth, and a strip of fabric around his chest. All of the clothing was old, tattered, and dirty. Amroth classified it as a goblin, but he wasn’t sure exactly what it was. It had well-toned muscles in its legs and arms. It didn’t seem to be a fighter…. More of a runner. Still, it didn’t hesitate when it realized it had been seen. It pulled out a cudgel and charged them.

“Hey!” Yelled Celestia, covering her eyes and turning away. “Put some better clothes on!”

Adam grinned, and Amroth intercepted the charging beast with his sword, stabbing it easily in the chest. He hated himself for it. Of all the things he had killed, this one seemed the most human. Instead of just destroying a skeleton, he was tearing through the flesh of a living, breathing creature.

He turned away, and wiped the blood off his sword on the grass, and didn’t look back. Celestia looked at him with concern, but again, didn’t say anything.

They passed the meteor, and continued home. The rest of the journey was uneventful, and after a few more hours, they stumbled into their houses. Adam immediately took a nap, while Amroth went down to the lake nearby, and soaked in the cool water for a bit. Afterwards, he put on a new change of clothes, and fell asleep as well.

When he awoke it was evening. He, Adam, and Celestia had a meal that Adam had taken the time to prepare. He made a salad with grilled meat and fresh bread, and Amroth had no idea how he pulled it off.

“How did you make this?” Amroth asked, his mouth full.

“Well, It’s pretty simple actually,” Adam responded. “The meat was easy to find from the abundant animals. I’m not quite sure what this plant is though….”

Amroth almost choked. “Wait, you don’t know what we’re eating?!”

Adam laughed again. “No, I do…. Mostly. It tastes like lettuce, and I’ve had it numerous times without it killing me, so I think it’s pretty safe. Also, if you know where to look, you can find grains. The physics of this world help.”

Amroth grinned. He wanted to share his idea of staying in this world, but he held it back. He would wait for later, when he was surer of himself. For now he was content just to be home.

The next day was relatively uneventful. Amroth spent most of it relaxing. During the day, he decided to start a journal of his life in the world of Terraria, so if he ever got out, he would have a source to turn to if he needed to produce details. He wasn’t sure exactly how the world worked. Was he physically here, or was his body back in the real world, in a coma, or hooked into some machine? If it was the latter, why? Amroth thought it over. He decided he was physically here, only because it was hard to believe he wasn’t.

Another thing he did is play chess. Adam had gotten help from the NPCs to make it. Isaac had carved the pieces, and Darren had painted everything. Adam easily destroyed Amroth twice, before he moved on to easier opponents. He tried to play against Celestia, and it was a close match, but she pulled out in the end.

At one point, Amroth decided to see how much he could charge water bolt. He walked over to the other side of the hill, and charged it for a full minute, before launching it at the hillside. When it impacted there was a huge wave of sound that hit him. It sounded like a mix between a pop, and an explosion. Dirt and water went flying everywhere. When the dust cleared there was a hole the size of a boulder in the hill.

Amroth was amazed. The fact that he had that much power in just a book was astounding. He wished he didn’t have to sit there for a minute to do that, but after thinking about that, he was glad it took that long. That much power would be too much for anyone. He knew he wouldn’t be able to use it again for at least half an hour. That had totally drained him of energy.

Celestia came running over the hill. “What the heck is going on?! Whoa….” She looked at the crater for a moment, then over at Amroth who was lying on his back. “You did that?”

Amroth nodded. “It’s crazy isn’t it?” He asked, still looking up into the sky.

Celestia laughed. “Yeah, it almost makes me want to learn to use magic better! Let’s get back to camp.”

They walked back, and Celestia went to practice her aim on her handgun and her bow. Amroth decided he would start to make dinner to give Adam a break. He went out to grab some wild greens and some type of meat. He found a deer by luck, and took it down with his musket. He also found some wild vegetables. It seemed strange to him that all of these were naturally growing, especially since they originated in the real world, but he supposed that the climate just worked for them. Now that he thought about it, he realized he hadn’t seen much in the way of plant species. The place had lots of life, but was sparse in the variety of plants. The plants that did exist in the area flourished. Maybe it had something to do with magic?

When he got home, he sautéed the meat with the greens, and grabbed some of yesterday’s bread. Finally finished, he brought some to Adam, who was napping in the front room.

“Look who’s lazy now,” Amroth said, waking Adam.

“Wha….? “ Adam looked around. Then he realized what time it was. “Oh crap, I should make dinner.”

Amroth grinned. “Nah, I got you covered.”

Adam took the plate, and then dug in. “This is better than my food! Which isn’t really saying much…”

Amroth chuckled. “Really? I thought it would just be so-so. Maybe I liked cooking back in the real world…”

“It seems likely. You should take some to Celestia.”

Amroth grabbed a plate for himself and for Celestia, and carried them over to her house. Celestia was sitting in the main room reading a book and Amy and Isaac were presumably in their rooms.

“I brought you some food.”

Celestia looked up from her book. “Yes! Did Adam make it?”

“Actually, I made it today.”

“Really? I didn’t know you liked to cook.”

“I’m not sure I do, but Adam was asleep, I just decided ‘what the hey’ and tried it.”

Celestia went over to the table, and they sat down to eat. “This is really good!”

“Uhhh….. Is it? It’s just food….”

“Yeah, but its good food.”

They ate in silence for a while, each of them lost in their own thoughts. When Amroth was almost done, he finally spoke up.

“Celestia, I’ve been meaning to ask…. Are you human, or are you an NPC?

She sat for a moment, as if contemplating the answer. “I think you’ve probably guessed by now, but I’m not an NPC.”

“I knew it!”

She looked surprised. “Did you? Is it that obvious?”

“Well, not really. Are you trying to not look human?”

“Kind of, for Adam’s sake. He has enough trouble as it is losing every friend he gets. I don’t think he could bear to have me leave this world as well. I’m better off as an NPC to him.”

“Then…. Where did you come from?”

“Well, like I said, I was born here. I just lived here in the jungle with my family, and you know the rest of the story. I think since I’m human, if I beat the wall of flesh, I could go to the world that you call the ‘real world’, but this is the only world I’ve ever known. What’s it like there?”

“I don’t know, but I do have feelings about it. I remember at least that it was a good place, and that I need to get back.”

“Hmmmm….” She frowned, and moved the rest of her food around her plate.

“Celestia,” he said. He looked into her eyes. “I like you, and I want to spend some more time with you while we are here.”

She looked taken aback, but her face melted into a joyous smile. He loved that expression.

“Ok!”

Golden light spilled through the window. Amroth stirred slowly in his bed, groaning as he stretched his tired limbs. He rolled slowly out of bed, and proceeded to lay on the floor for another few minutes. The sun was already halfway up the sky. It’s only a couple of hours until noon….

Amroth pulled on some new clothes, and walked outside. He looked around, and saw very little of the usual activity. The mechanic was walking towards the 1st house, the one that Isaac lived in, but other than that, nobody was outside. It seemed everyone else was having a lazy day as well.

Celestia was sitting on a rock next to the lake, dipping her feet in the water. He walked over and sat down next to her. The lake sparkled in the morning sun, the small waves stirred up by the breeze shimmered across it’s surface.

After a few minutes’ silence Celestia spoke. “I love this spot. It would be cool to build a house here…”

“Well,” Amroth responded. “Why don’t we?”

“Do… do you mean it?”

“Of course! We could have it done pretty soon if we have the NPCs help.”

She looked back out over the water, and smiled.

Building went rather quickly. All the NPCs agreed to help, and even Gimli ended up helping by blowing up some trees to collect wood. Adam tried to give him an axe, but he just ended up saying; “This is way more fun, um, I mean, effective.”

Dawn built some electric lights for the house, and ended up making a system for all of the houses that was hydro powered using the stream that drained into the lake. She said it was a pretty simple process, but Amroth didn’t understand much of it.

The finished product was beautiful. The entry way had a green rug that led into the living area. Furniture was spaced around the room, with a coffee table in the middle. A fireplace sat on the right wall. Directly across the room from the entrance was a huge window, which showcased the lake beyond. A kitchen was to the left, as well as a a hallway that led to 2 separate bedrooms and bathrooms.

Amroth and Celestia moved in immediately, while Adam claimed Amroth’s old living quarters as more room for crafting.

The day they finished the house, Adam called everyone together for a meeting.

After getting everyone’s attention, he started. “Ok, I’d like to thank everyone for your help with the house! It looks beautiful!” Everybody cheered in agreement. “Amroth and I have agreed that we should prologue the fight with the Wall of Flesh a little longer, so we can all enjoy some free time with no battles, and nothing of the sort to worry about. I would still recommend carrying around your weapons though, because you never know when you’ll encounter a stray slime.”

“Thanks for helping out so much! We have learned a lot more about this world than we knew previously!” Everyone clapped again, and the meeting adjourned.

The next few days passed uneventfully. Dawn continued to make improvements to the housing wherever she could. Darrel worked on a new painting of the cave up on the hill, but he kept adding small details, like gems buried in the walls.

Gimli continued to make explosives, and found he could make some pretty big ones using a combination of TNT and other explosives. The first time he tested it over the hill he forgot to tell anyone what he was doing, and the explosion scared everyone half to death.

Amroth and Celestia ran over the hill with their weapons and armor followed closely by Adam and The Arms Dealer. Gimli staggered out of the dust and waved his hands over his head. “Sorry! Sorry! I couldn’t resist!”

Amroth just laughed.

A few days later there was a storm. It wasn’t too bad, mostly just wind and lightning, but there was also a light drizzle. Amroth was inside cooking dinner, and Celestia sat on a stool at the counter, looking out the window.

“I’ve always loved storms. They’re no fun when your outside, but when you’re inside they’re a lot of fun to watch.”

Adam looked out the window in time to see a large flash of lightning. “Yeah…” He tried to recall a storm, any storm from his past, but still couldn’t remember any. He must’ve looked slightly sad. Celestia took notice.

“You don’t remember any storms do you?”

He shook his head.

She stood up and hugged him. “I’m sorry…. Let’s get you back as soon as we can so you can remember.”

“You know,” he started, “I was thinking of just staying with you guys.”

She looked at him. “I think we should leave, and try to take Adam with us. Here there is always the chance that one of us will die, and I couldn’t live with that.” She ran her fingers through his hair.

He thought for a minute, then slowly nodded. “Ok. We’ll leave.”

They sat in silence for a minute, each lost in though.

Amroth opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by Adam bursting into the room.

He struggled to catch his breath. Celestia was about to ask him what was wrong, but Adam gasped out a word before she could.

“Goblins.”

Amroth and Celestia threw on their armor and sprinted out the door. It was chaos outside. There were goblins everywhere.

“How did they find us?!” Amroth shouted above the noise.

“I don’t know!” Adam replied.

Amroth dove into battle. Gimli was chucking grenades into the horde. Xavier was shooting down rows of enemies with some strange gun. It looked to be half minigun, half..... was that a shark? Dawn was using some huge wrenches like clubs, weaving in and out of enemies, Isaac was using his massive collection of throwing knives, and even Amy was helping where she could, mostly helping with injuries, but also putting bandages over the goblins eyes, stabbing them with syringes, and etc.

“Hey!” Amroth shouted to Celestia and Adam, “Help me get the word around to lead them away from the houses! Adam, you should stay behind to defend Hanno and Sparkle! Your hornets will help a lot with that!”

They nodded, and gradually the battle led away from the houses.

A pair of warriors with full Iron armor came after Amroth, and he took them down with his Muramasa. He shot water bolt into the crowd, which scattered a group of thieves.

Amroth staggered as an arrow embedded itself in his left arm. Some archers were starting to gather on the hill. He ran over to Xavier.

“I need you to contend with those archers!” Amroth shouted, while fending off a few more warriors.

Xavier nodded, and began to focus on the archers while slowly moving away from the thick of the battle. Amroth followed him and made sure nobody attacked him while his focus was away from the main battle.

He began to notice that there were goblin sorcerers as well. They weren’t as hard as the skeletal ones, but it was still annoying when they teleported when you were about to stab them.

It started to pour. Rain fell down in sheets everywhere, drenching the battlefield. It made things colder, but Amroth hardly noticed. Adrenaline surged through his body. It also made it slightly more slippery, he noticed some of the goblins were falling over.

At least it will wash some of the blood away….. Amroth thought gruesomely.

Amroth saw Adam and Amy carrying off Sparkle. She had a nasty gash on her side. Gimli had also been shot by an arrow, and was backing off as well, but he was still hurling explosives.

Amroth, Celestia, and Xavier found each other at the top of the hill, staving off the rest of the horde. Finally, after about 15 minutes of fighting, the battle was ending.

When it was over, they sat down, exhausted. Amroth had hardly paused to notice the arrow wound in his arm. Amroth looked down over the houses. Adam exited the house, looking tired and slightly angry, but mostly relieved. He waved his hands over his head, and gave Amroth a thumbs up that he could barely see. Amroth sighed, he hoped that meant that everyone was alright.

Celestia looked over at him, obviously concerned. “You need to have Amy help you with that arm.”

Amroth shook his head. “You need the help too, and so do the others. I’ll be fine for a little bit.”

“Fine,” she said. “Then we’ll both go.” She scooted over next to him, and suddenly they lifted a few feet into the air.

“What the-” Amroth almost fell over. Celestia pulled him back up. He looked down to see a bunch of hovering dirt under both of them. It began to move down the hill.

“Hey!” Xavier stood up indignantly. “Don’t I get a ride?!”

Suddenly he was raised up a few feet off the ground, knocking him over. The platform began to rush down the hill.

He clung to the side as it flew towards the houses. “WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOOOUUuuuuuuuu.....”

Amroth and Celestia laughed.

Adam was slumped against the back of his chair, but still looking up at everyone else. He was tired, but this was too important to sleep through. The meeting was already in progress, the formalities and rejoicing over the fact that they were alive were over.

Amroth was sitting up, his fists on the table. All the other NPC’s were gathered as well.

Amroth spoke up. “What I would like to know is how they found us. The only scout that saw us we killed.”

Adam opened his mouth to speak, but closed it after a moment.

Hannibal spoke instead, though it was hard to understand through his thick accent. “I wasn’t there, but maybe there was a second scout you didn’t see that followed you? Or even more likely....” He paused, and then took a different approach. “If you were the leader of a huge group of goblins that can live entirely off the land, and are a nomadic people that love to pillage and steal, and one of your scouts goes missing what would you do? Considering that not very many things can kill a goblin, you’d send out a large search party. There’s the possibility of gold, and avenging one of your brethren.

Adam waved his finger. “That, is smart.” He looked over at Amroth. “That guy’s smart.”

Celestia giggled.

“So.....” Gimli began. “That was only a search party?!”

Sparkles timidly spoke up. “I would prefer to not see a war party.”

Everyone nodded in agreement.

“I can build a few traps,” Dawn suggested.

Adam nodded. “That would be good, though it would be preferable if we could turn them on and off so one of us don’t accidentally trigger them.”

They ran through a few more suggestions before deciding that would be best. Gimli just wanted to arm everyone with grenades and dynamite, and stick landmines all over, but they thankfully convinced him that that was a stupid plan.

After the meeting Adam approached Amroth and Celestia.

“Guys..... You should leave. You should just fight the wall of flesh and get out of here.”

“Wait,” Celestia began. “One, I’m an NPC, and two, what about you? We should stay with you.”

Adam cocked his head. “You’re not an NPC”

Celestia sighed. “How’d you guess?”

“Well, it’s kind of obvious. It’s also pretty obvious that you two care about each other. You have a chance to get out of here, and live your lives without danger of dying. You should take that chance.”

Amroth spoke up. “But we don’t want to leave you guys..... You’ve been stuck here for longer than any of us.”

Adam shook his head. “I’m fine staying here. I’ve made friends with these guys. Here I’ve helped countless people get back to their lives, and as bad as it feels sometimes, I couldn’t end that. I have the chance to actually help people here. Just stay long enough to help some of these guys get armor, and help us build up some traps, and then we’ll be fine.” He smiled sadly. “Do it for me, if not for yourselves. I couldn’t bear to see you guys die.”

Amroth looked at the ground, and then at Celestia. They made a silent decision.

“Fine,” he said. “We’ll escape.”

Preparations went slowly. After a couple of weeks, they had successfully made enough armor and weapons for everyone to protect themselves. A few traps that could be turned on and off were installed around the homes in case of another invasion. The time came that they would soon need to fight the wall of flesh.

Adam explained the enemy. It was literally a giant wall of flesh, dotted with a few large eyes and mouths. Adam had no idea how it moved, but it was impossible to get around. To fight it they would literally need to build a runway that ran through hell. Navigating the lava dotted landscape while fighting the boss would be too hard.

During the explanation Amroth asked, “Have you ever actually seen this thing die?”

Adam’s response came. “No, it always got out of view.”

“How do you know it’s actually been killed before?!”

“Well, usually when it shrieks so loud that the world shakes, and you hear an explosion, you would assume that it dies.”

Amroth and Celestia weren’t totally satisfied with the explanation, but accepted it anyways.

Adam continued. “The weird thing about it is how you summon it. In hell you’ll occasionally see demons. They fly around and cast spells from a book similar to your Water Bolt, but more powerful. If you can manage to get one of those it would help you in your fight. Every once in a while you’ll see one carrying a doll. To summon the wall, you need to chuck the doll in the lava. Just don’t let it fall in by accident.”

Finally they began to build the platform. It was tedious and dangerous work. They had to build it above the pits of lava, which was tedious enough, but they also had to worry about frequent attacks from fiery bats, slimes made out of lava, imps, and even giant serpents made out of bone that just launched themselves out of the ground.

The demons were the most dangerous, but were more uncommon. After killing about 10 of them, Amroth finally managed to get the spell by luring it over the platform so the book didn’t fall in the lava. It was far more deadly than anything Amroth had used before. On first using it, it cut through the enemy he had shot at, and proceeded to cut a stalactite off the ceiling.

The runway they built had to stretch around a few corners, as well as wind around a couple of houses. Amroth had no idea why anyone would be crazy enough to build a house in hell. He doubted the demons did it, but when he asked Adam the only answer he got was a shrug.

Eventually the time came. Goodbyes were said, hugs were given. Amroth was concerned that the houses they had built, as well as all the NPCs armor would disappear on the world reset, but Isaac explained that anything that the NPCs owned or helped build would still be here afterwards. Even Amroth and Celestia’s house would remain because the NPCs built a major portion of it.

Isaac shook hands with Amroth. “Good luck, give it hell for me.”

“I will,” he responded. “Just make sure Gimli doesn’t blow up the house.”

Gimli smiled sheepishly over to the side.

He said goodbye to everyone else. Sparkle and Amy gave him a hug. Hannibal came over and whispered something in a foreign language into his ear, a blessing of some kind. Gimli even gave him a powerful bomb with a detonating switch which he told him to lob at the wall for him. Amroth chuckled, and agreed.

Celestia gave everyone hugs, and came away crying. Even Amroth teared up a little, and with a last goodbye, Adam led them to their last battle.

When they reached hell, Adam turned and made sure they were ready.

“Amroth, I would recommend using that bomb at the beginning to kind of weaken it. And Celestia, remember if you need dirt Amroth put some in his pouch. Good luck you guys.” He embraced them.

“Goodbye Adam, I’ll miss you.”

Celestia made him look at her. “Promise me you’ll try to get out of here one day.”

He smiled. “No promises, but I’ll see what I can do.”

With that they climbed down onto the platform. Amroth set up the bomb while Celestia got out the doll. Adam climbed up into a tunnel leading out of hell, so he could at least catch a glimpse of the beginning.

Finally they were ready. Amroth and Celestia held hands, and she tossed the doll out into oblivion. Amroth gripped the spell Demon Scythe in his left hand, and tensed. At first nothing happened, then a blood curdling shriek ripped the air in two. Waves of sound seemed to blow everything apart. The sound was close.

Amroth looked up to his left at Adam, who had gone pale. He yelled something, looking panicked, but Amroth couldn’t make it out at the distance.

The wall finally came into view. Adam’s description hadn’t done it justice. It was massive. It was completely made out of red pulsating flesh dotted with eyes and gaping maws. The eyes themselves were huge, almost 2 times as tall as Amroth. Tentacles extended from the wall, with vicious mouths that looked like piranhas attached to the end. The sheer size was incredibly.

For a second, Amroth just stood there, hopeless. How could he possibly hope to compete against something like that?! Adam had assured him that he was more prepared than the other adventurers, how could they have competed against this?

They couldn’t have. He knew he was screwed.

The wall approached the platform, though Amroth had no idea how it moved. It just seemed to slide along. He started launching demon scythe, and purple scythes leapt from the pages. It was doing damage but not a lot. Arrows streaked down from Adam’s hiding spot taking out some of the tentacles that Amroth decided to call the hungry. Celestia also started launching arrows.

“We need to get out of the blast radius!” he yelled. Celestia nodded, and they both started backing away from the bomb, launching projectiles as they went.

The wall reached the edge of the platform, which crumbled as the beast plowed through it. Right as it reached the explosive Amroth hit the detonator switch. The explosion was bigger than anticipated, and through the smoke Amroth could see the wall flinch backwards. The hungry were completely decimated, they would no longer be a threat. One of the walls eyes was blown apart, and it screamed in pain and rage. The sound was so loud that Amroth was forced to plug his ears until it stopped, and it still rung in his ears afterwards.

Amroth’s disbelief rose when one of the many eyes narrowed, with the pupil turning red, before firing a laser of energy. Amroth’s instincts saved him. He raised his sword just in time to deflect the laser.

The battle raged onwards. Amroth didn’t dare get close enough to use his sword, so he kept it at his side, only raising it to deflect attacks, or to slice at any hungry that got close. They seemed to regenerate over time. More just kept emerging from the mutilated flesh of the wall. Celestia couldn’t do as much damage, so she focused on keeping the shots off of Amroth by blocking them with dirt walls.

They had to constantly back up. If they got too close the hungry and the wall’s teeth would tear them to shreds. It would have been easy if the wall wasn’t able to shoot lasers.

Amroth was managing to do some damage, but nothing substantial enough to slay it. He could fully charge an attack, but that would leave him with too little mana to continue fighting, and if it failed what would they do then?

After a particularly deadly stream of lasers, Amroth saw something dark move on the edge of his peripheral vision. He looked up too his left. On one of the buildings stood the Servant of Cthulhu. Amroth breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe the fight would now go more easily. The servant pulled out some dark purple throwing knives, took one into his left hand, and threw it. The aim was perfect. The knife pierced Amroth’s armor and embedded itself into his calf.

Amroth’s knee buckled. He gasped in pain as what felt like fire raced up his nerves.

Celestia cried out. “Amroth!” She formed a dirt wall in front of him just in time to block another knife, which impacted the wall with a dull thunk.

Amroth happened to notice that the second one had been aiming for his arm. Why isn’t he throwing to kill me? He thought.

Celestia blocked some more lasers, and lifted Amroth up on a dirt platform that formed under him. “Keep fighting!” She yelled. He lifted his spell, and started hitting the wall with more firepower. Celestia managed to block the attacks from the wall, and a few from the servant while keeping him afloat, but they were quickly reaching the end of the platform they had built, and the wall showed no sign of slowing.

The servant finally ran out of knives, and simply walked along a ledge above their heads, enjoying the show. Amroth knew he couldn’t afford to even waste any energy to try and attack him out of revenge. His vision was red with rage

As they reached the end of the platform, Celestia managed to jump onto a nearby building, but they were out of options. The monster had reached the building, and they could either die to it, or die to the lava below.

Amroth pulled out his sword, ignoring the pain, and leapt as far as he could directly towards the wall. Time seemed to slow down. He faintly heard Celestia screaming his name in the background. A laser grazed his arm, but he felt to numb to fully realize it. He swung his sword.

A laser shot the Muramasa out of his hand. Amroth’s leap carried him directly towards the gaping maw of the wall of flesh.

Before he fell in, he swung Demon Scythe out from behind his back where he had been charging a shot, and released it directly into the wall’s mouth.

The explosion and following scream rocked the world.

Amroth was launched back, the fight leaving him. As he fell towards the lava, he was...... content. He had saved Celestia, and that was enough for him. He drifted out of consciousness before he hit the lava.

Celestia screamed as Amroth fell towards the lava. She reached out with the platform, and missed. He fell just past it, and out of view over the edge of the building. She collapsed to the floor, defeated. There was so much she had wanted to do with him, but now none of that would be possible. Slowly the world faded into a dull white....

The Servant watched as Amroth flew backwards. This would be difficult to explain to the master. Amroth had shown surprising resilience.

A thought tugged at him. Maybe he should stop serving. It didn’t feel right. It wasn’t too late to change, was it?

Adam sighed in relief as he heard the explosion. He had never seen become that powerful before, and for a moment he had doubted whether they could do it. At least they had escaped.

He had wanted to go with them, but he realized that his duty was to stay here. He could help people here. Maybe he would see them again, but it didn’t seem likely. They would be happy together

The time had come. The world began to reset, and everything faded into a dull white haze...

Amroth is my first name turned run through an Elvish Translator

I called chapter 14 the Gathering, mainly because I used it to gather my thoughts, give the NPCs a personality, etc.

First inspired by @Everybody s terraria story.

Thanks all you guys for your never ending support in this story, however
I have good news and bad news

Bad news first. I'm kind of dead on this forum in case that isn't already extremely obvious, and for the moment I will be retiring this storyline.
But
Good news: I will not be retiring the characters. Here's what I mean
I recently made an account on a writing forum, and have been/will be posting stuff there, mostly short stories and etc. However I am working on a huge project, I'm writing a novel about my OC Excession/Ren, his back story, and his universe. A universe full of humans and small other races, the elite (which are more powerful versions of the races/creatures), the deities which are even stronger versions of them, and the god eaters, one of them who literally got swallowed by the planet. A version of Amroth, Celestia, and other major characters here will be major characters in this storyline/universe. :D
Once I finish eventually writing and posting that, I'll probably polish it and see if publishing will ever be a possibility.

One day when I'm done with that book I may come back to this and completely rewrite/extend this storyline. I still like it, despite the low quality writing that was the first 20 or so chapters. So we'll see what happens :)

If you want to follow me on the writing forum, I'll post a link here. I only have one thing posted at the moment, but more is coming ^-^
http://figment.com/users/516541-Excession

Thanks for the support guys, you're the greatest!

-Excession

Last edited:
that might be best, i'm thinking about putting artwork from the story there eventually, but feel free to post all you want.

This is actually pretty good!
I see a bright future ahead for this story, oh yes I do.

I'd support this if this was a auggestion.

Chapter 2 out @Everybody @Pumpking @Swordbomb @Seeker ! Make sure to check it out. this is where the action starts. Boring intro over.
Holy crap does this mean Im actually known now? Being tagged?
Edit: Just finished the chapter.. When I first read the part about the slime I just thought "Wtf is he talking about, there's no face huggers in Terraria" but when I realized it was a slime I just said "What a clever way to introduce slimes!"

Last edited:
Holy crap does this mean Im actually known now? Being tagged?
Edit: Just finished the chapter.. When I first read the part about the slime I just thought "Wtf is he talking about, there's no face huggers in Terraria" but when I realized it was a slime I just said "What a clever way to introduce slimes!"
Thanks for the feedback, the view and for the compliment! also, yes you are being tagged, you are one of the first to have liked this so, Yay you!

Last edited:
yeah, i don't want to waste time with the whole, I don't get it, scheme that so many fiction or adolescent books have nowadays. that's why i made him 17

Great dude, terraria has never had a story and this would certainly fit! I hope you continue, great style and prose.

Back
Top Bottom