Weapons & Equip Throwing Potions (and the Skull Potion)

What do you think of these ideas?

• Total voters

360Chadscope

Pixel Pirate
Chadwick presents... More potions.

More potions?
More potions. But they're not just potions!
Not just potions?
Not just potions. You see, dear reader, we have a significant lack of throwable potions in Terraria.
Why is that a ba
Because we need them. We need throwable potions, reader, and we need them now.
Don't we already have the stink potion and the love one and
Yes reader yes we do have those but they're pretty much useless.
Oh.
Yeah. Plus, these potions would be (magic) weapons, not... Well... Potions. Anyways, lets start with the
Wait a second Chad. Why would we want these throwing potions? What do they add that the game doesn't have yet?
With these potions I'll introduce a few new debuffs as well, my dear reader. Don't worry.
ok

Hey look it's a normal potion

Skull Potion
mK8ua0S.png

Type: Potion.
Buff: Skeletron's Blessing (player can dash in all directions), 5 minutes.
Max Stack: 30.
Use Time: 16.
Crafted with: 1 Bottled Water, 1 Bone, 1 Deathweed.

Some information on these throwable potions.
They work just like ranged throwing weapons. Except these are magic throwing weapons. You throw them, when they hit a block or an enemy they 'die'. If they hit a monster or a player in PvP (their team doesn't matter) they inflict them with the associated buff/debuff. They also spawn 2-6 shards (
YNUyxhw.png
), which do no damage but each have a 50% chance of inflicting the debuff as well. Regarding their crafting recipes, I get that they're a bit different from normal potions' crafting recipes, but hey, these are not normal potions. They aren't even potions ;) Of course the item can only be used once. Only 3 out of 5 throwing potions so far in this thread are actually useful in PvE (all 5 are useful in PvP).

Sharp Potion
O1McqNk.png

Type: (Throwing) Magic Weapon.
Damage: 23.
Knockback: NO.
Max Stack: 99.
Mana: 0.
Velocity: 9.
Use Time: 14.
Crafted with: 1 Bottled Water, 10 Bone, 5 Glass.
Debuff: Bleeding (prevents natural life generation), for 45 seconds.
Useful against: Only players.
Extra Information: I think that a bleeding-inflicting potion would be cool since (for as far as I know), in the PC version, there is no way for a player to inflict bleeding on other players. The bones in the recipe are because dungeon skeletons inflict bleeding, and to make sure the potion is post-Skeletron content.

Imhere Potion
bKseIyv.png

Damage: 15.
Knockback: NEE.
Crafted with: 1 Bottled Water, 10 Glowstick, 3 Blinkroot.
Debuff: Imhere (player or NPC emits green light), for 1 minute.
Useful against: NPCs and players.
Extra Information: It's... An alternative to the hunter potion. Advantages over the hunter potion: it shows both players and npcs as opposed to only npcs, and it lights up areas around the players and npcs hit. Hunter Potion only works on npcs and doesn't light up anything but the npcs. It's also easier to make, since the Hunter Potion requires a shark fin. Disadvantages: it only shows a few enemies, while the hunter potion shows all mobs on screen.
Also, I proposed an alternative recipe in my Flower Biome Suggestion. It would have 3 bloombulbs (see flower biome suggestion) be used instead of blinkroot. It would make the potion more difficult to craft and it fits more since bloombulbs emit the same colour of light that the Imhere-struck enemies would.

Obscuration Potion
mw6DGB9.png

Damage: 27.
Knockback: NON.
Crafted with: 1 Dark Water, 10 Bone.
Debuff: Darkness (makes everything dark), for 30 seconds.
Useful against: Only players.
Extra Information: A pain in the arse in PvP. But hey, it's expensive to craft, so that makes up for it, right? right?

Leech Potion
x25frFy.png

Damage: 25.
Knockback: NJET.
Crafted with: 1 Bottled Water, 15 Tissue Sample, 30 Crimstone.
Debuff: Leeched (player/npc loses 3 health per second, this health goes to the player who threw the potion), for 25 seconds.
Extra Information: Might be a bit unbalanced if used on a lot of npcs and players at once. Can in a way be seen as pre-HM vampire knives.

Scourge Potion
GtrmP0n.png

Damage: 23.
Knockback: NEIN.
Crafted with: 1 Bottled Water, 17 Shadow Scale, 30 Ebonstone.
Debuff: Swarmed (a little eater comes flying in at the player or mob every 2 seconds), for 30 seconds.
Extra Information: the eaters die when hit, so it's easy to avoid taking damage from the buff. Still, it can serve as a distraction for your opponent during PvP. Can in a way be seen as a pre-HM scourge of the corruptor.

Imhere
ppcWBnW.png
(yes it's a hand)
Type: Debuff.
Effects: Player or npc emits green light. This can be seen as useful, but in PvP it's pretty :red: when you're trying to hide in the dark, since you can't turn it off.
Works on: Players and npcs.
Tooltip: Well they're definetely gonna find us now!

Swarmed
lcXGw3P.png

Effects: Little eaters come flying in at the player or mob, 1 per 2 seconds.
Tooltip: Might not be deadly but sure is annoying.

Leeched
xZoCX6W.png

Effects: Player or npc loses 3 health per second, this health goes to the source of (player or npc who inflicted) the debuff.
Tooltip: Literally sucking the life out of you.

Skeletron's Blessing
LA34h0Z.png

Type: Buff.
Effects: When double-tapping W, A, S or D the player dashes ~10 blocks in that direction (similar to the tabi). Tapping both W and A will make the player dash up-left, S and D will make them dash down-right, ect. W and S won't work at all. While dashing, the player turns into a skull (
4qb8fdy.png
, texture might be changed).
If the player hits an enemy while 'dashing', both the enemy and the player take damage. This amount of damage is 3 times the amount of blocks dashed (i.e. 0-30 damage, depending on the length of the dash). Has a 10 second cooldown.
Works on: Players.
Tooltip: He's just all about blessings and curses, isn't he?

Dark Water
iGUrDTX.png

Type: Material.
Dropped by: Dark Caster 20%.
Tooltip: 'It smells like evil.'
As suggested by Baconfry, Dark Water can now be used for crafting water candles. 5 Bones and 1 Dark Water make a water candle.
In my Flower Biome Suggestion I put this item in the crafting recipe of a boss spawner to make the boss post-Skeletron, and to give the Dark Water some more use.

Support Banners
Well you could put one of deez in your signature:
EodSIxG.png

Code:
[url='http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/throwing-potions-and-the-skull-potion.3576/#post-80300'][img]http://i.imgur.com/EodSIxG.png[/img][/url]
Feedback & Suggestions for changes and more (throwing) potions
Or you could of course help me make this suggestion better with constructive critisism and feedback. This includes ideas for changes for balance's sake, name changes for the names that aren't so good (*cough* Imhere *cough* hint hint nudge nudge). The better this suggestion is, the higher the chance we'll one day get to see these throwing potions (and the skull potion) in the game. The chance would still be very small, but larger than before.
Pointing out 'problems' in this thread (e.g. grammars problems and information that doesn't match with actual ingame facts or other information mentioned in this thread.) I wrote this thread in short sessions in 2-4 weeks as I came up with the ideas, so that kind of mistakes happen.

Last edited:
Whoa, this is nice! Not sure exactly how the Skull Potion works, though.
Also, the sprite for Dark Water looks like a jar of poop to me. If you make it dark blue, it might be used for craftable Water Candles.
Added this to the OP:

When double-tapping W, A, S or D the player dashes ~10 blocks in that direction (similar to the tabi). Tapping both W and A will make the player dash up-left, S and D will make them dash down-right, ect. W and S won't work at all. While dashing, the player turns into a skull (
4qb8fdy.png
, texture might be changed).
If the player hits an enemy while 'dashing', both the enemy and the player take damage. This amount of damage is 3 times the amount of blocks dashed (i.e. 0-30 damage, depending on the length of the dash). Has a 10 second cooldown.

Also added the water candle crafting idea and changed the dark water's texture ;)
I can see people raising hell about the leech potion, but what the heck, the potions look pretty decent.
Is that... Life steal?!
*gathers angry mob*
No, just kidding, it actually all looks pretty okay.
Support.
Thanks! And yeah, the Leech potion is not gonna be very popular. Gotta admit that it might be a bit unbalanced.

Last edited:
Idea: spectre potion, it is used more as a weapon. High damage, (maybe 80+???), minimal knockback, and they travel mostly like an arrow but randomly change direction every ~0.5 seconds, making them inaccurate but sometimes cover a good distance. They can go through up to 3 blocks before exploding. they randomly give off a ghostly glow. Ectoplasm+Dark water+Ebon/Crim glass (which needs to be a thing)

For the skull potion, you could replace the Golden Key with a bone... Maybe... Bootiful idea!
Thanks for the idea! I'll definetely do that.
Idea: spectre potion, it is used more as a weapon. High damage, (maybe 80+???), minimal knockback, and they travel mostly like an arrow but randomly change direction every ~0.5 seconds, making them inaccurate but sometimes cover a good distance. They can go through up to 3 blocks before exploding. they randomly give off a ghostly glow. Ectoplasm+Dark water+Ebon/Crim glass (which needs to be a thing)
What debuff would they give? Debuffs are kind of the thing that makes throwing potions different from other throwing weapons, or at least they're supposed to be. Also, what should I imagine with the potions randomly changing directions every 0.5 seconds? It seems like it'd look pretty weird, tbh.

hat debuff would they give? Debuffs are kind of the thing that makes throwing potions different from other throwing weapons, or at least they're supposed to be. Also, what should I imagine with the potions randomly changing directions every 0.5 seconds? It seems like it'd look pretty weird, tbh.
1. it would probably haunt enemies, basically make them take damage over time, 2. it would work like the wispy wonders in runers, kinda.

What about a chain potion? It could work like @Baconfry suggested with the blood seal, but crafted from 10 chains, a bottle, and 2 ectoplasm. Chained enemies would have actual chain like links to each other. The potion would affect the first 5 closest enemies when thrown.

I don't like it we already gave flasks why would we need flasks throwable and doing Magic damage?
Wait a second Chad. Why would we want these throwing potions? What do they add that the game doesn't have yet?
With these potions I'll introduce a few new debuffs as well, my dear reader. Don't worry.
As a matter of fact, none of the throwing potions give a debuff that also has a flask, and vice versa.
On top of that, I just think throwable potions would be a pretty cool new type of weapon to use.
What about a chain potion? It could work like @Baconfry suggested with the blood seal, but crafted from 10 chains, a bottle, and 2 ectoplasm. Chained enemies would have actual chain like links to each other. The potion would affect the first 5 closest enemies when thrown.
I'm not sure how that'd work for a throwing potion, though.

As a matter of fact, none of the throwing potions give a debuff that also has a flask, and vice versa.
On top of that, I just think throwable potions would be a pretty cool new type of weapon to use.

I'm not sure how that'd work for a throwing potion, though.
The only one I like is the leech but to make it bal make it last 10 secs instead of 30

Back
Top Bottom