Biomes & Nature Trees and Seeds

Anhrak

Terrarian
Note: The original suggestion only meant to be a suggestion for seeds for the Corruption/Crimson/Hallows biome. However, due to an inspirational outburst, lots more content have come out. If you don't want to agree with the complete suggestion, but do agree with seeds for just Corruption/Crimson/Hallow trees, then you can just say that in a post ;).

Hey everone,

Many people who like some nice decorations in their house mostly look towards other wood kinds. However, there are some problems with wood and trees as of the current updates. Some trees drop no seeds, some trees can't be grown, making their supply graduately run out for a 'renewable' resource. To name an example; Unlike Palm, Mahogany or Boreal wood, acorns can NOT be placed on crimson, corrupt or hallow dirt/sand, meaning that the only method to obtain is an inconvenient method: Controlled Terra contamination. And besides that, Ebon/Pearl/Shade wood trees don't even drop acorns.

Other people may find trees just a bit dull, not worth cutting or even bothering about. So why not just bring them a little more useable content? Roots, branches, fruit? Some very rare pieces of wood?

Anyhow, for the actual suggestion, I first would like to give each tree their own kind of seed:
- Acorn: Grows regulair trees, plantable on grass. Obtainable from regulair trees and dirt.
- Palm Seed: Grows palm trees, plantable on sand. Obtainable from Palm trees.
- Mahogany seed: Grows rich mahogany trees, plantable on grassy mud. Obtainable from Mahogany trees.
- Cone: Grows boreal trees, plantable on snow.
- Bleeding Seed: Grows Shadewood trees, plantable on red grass.
- Glowing Seed: Grows Pearlwood trees, plantable on cyan grass.
- Dark Seed: Grows Ebonwood trees, plantable on purple grass.
Just regulair dirt and grass will now function as a 'joker' material for any trees, however at the penalty that it'll take much longer for them to grow compared to their natural associated soil.

Next to the world-generated trees, I would also like to suggest some seeds that cannot be obtained from the world-generated terrain, however one must kill birds [yes, giving some importance to these feathered friends too] in order to obtain the seeds:
- Apple tree seed. Grows an Apple tree, dropping Apple Tree Seeds, Apples and [less] regulair wood.
- Banana tree seed. Grows a Banana tree, dropping Banana tree seeds, Banana's and [less] palm wood.
- Frost-bite tree seed. Grows a Frost-'bite' tree, dropping blue-coloured Frost Bite fruits, Frost Bite seeds, and [less] boreal wood.
- Papaya tree seed. Grows a Papaya tree, dropping Papaya's, Papaya tree seeds and [less] rich mahogany wood.
- Rare Curry seeds. Grows a curry tree, dropping Curry and Curry seeds.
- Rare Bonsai seeds. Grows a Bonsai tree, dropping dynasty wood and bonsai trees. Your own supply of dynasty wood?
- Rare Shady seed. Grows a dead? tree, dropping spooky wood and Shady seeds.
- Very Rare Magical seed. Grows a magical tree, magical wood, but no seeds.
- Hardmode Yew Seed, Grows a yew tree, dropping Yew wood, and Yew seeds.
- Hardmode Bleach Seed, Grows a bleach tree, dropping Bleach wood and Bleach seeds. Must be planted on Hallows grass.
- Hardmode Bloodwood Seed, Grows a bloodwood tree, dropping Blood wood, and Bloodwood seeds. Must be planted on Crimson grass.
- Hardmode Shadow Seed, Grows a shadow tree, dropping Shadowy wood and Shadow seeds. Must be planted on Corrupt grass.
- Hardmode Rare Leech Fruit Seed, Grows a Leech Tree, dropping Leech Fruit, however no wood or seeds. Must be planted on Crimson grass.
- Hardmode Rare Corrupted Fruit Seed, Grows a Corrupted Tree, dropping Corrupted Fruit, however no wood or seeds. Must be planted on Corrupt grass.
- Hardmode Rare Holy Fruit Seed, Grows a Holy Tree, dropping Holy Fruit, however no wood or seeds. Must be planted on Hallows grass.
- Hardmode Very Rare Gold Fruit Seed, Grows a gold fruit tree, dropping only Gold fruit, no wood or seeds. I would like this to be grown on a special kind of soil, though I can't come with any at the moment.

New item usabilities:
- Apples/Banana's/Frost-bite/Papaya; can be used to create debuff-preventive potions, including some that the Ankh charm may not prevent. Hard-mode potions may include Anti-Ichor, Anti-Curse, Anti-Disable.
- Curry can be used to amplify potions. The perks that can be amplified are the potion effect timer [+20%], potion effect [+20%] or cooldown timer [-25%]. Only one curry per potion, though.
- Magical Wood can be used for luxurious furniture that faintly glows, or for armour that shares the effect of a mining helm [though with a much less intensity and cyan-coloured]. For the effect to occur, it must be worn and not be a social override.
- Yew, Bleach, Bloodwood and Shadow wood types are improved versions of the regulair wood, ebonwood, shadewood and pearlwood. They have more intensive colour as furniture, look a bit jagged + better colours and a particle effect on armour sets, and have the stats equal to Molten Armour [much like how regulair wood is a tiny bit less strong than the first normal-mode tier]. It's set effect is a minor damage improvement, only 5%.
- Leech Fruit, Corrupted Fruit and Holy Fruit can be used for special hard-mode potions. Mixing them together with Ichor, Cursed Flame or Fairy Dust will create a Leeching Potion [Each damage you deal will return 1% HP for 5 minutes], a Corrupting Potion [For every hit you strike, there is a chance your target will suffer a random debuff albeit their resistance] or a Holy Potion [for each creature you slay, there is a chance a whisp will emit from the body that will aid you with small far-range attacks for 30 seconds.] If desired, an alternative for the Leech Potion effect can be affecting a Bleed DOT buff to your weapon for 5 minutes.
- Golden Fruit can be used to create Super Health potions, which can be created with a Super Mana potion into a Super Restoration Potion.

Last edited:
Leeching potion touches upon a sensitive subject, but as a whole, I like this.

Especially the idea of seeds being dropped by Birds. Non-statue spawned, obviously.

Overall, I'd like to see at least some of these changes implemented. It's quite creative.

Leeching potion touches upon a sensitive subject, but as a whole, I like this.

Especially the idea of seeds being dropped by Birds. Non-statue spawned, obviously.

Overall, I'd like to see at least some of these changes implemented. It's quite creative.

Thank you :).

With the Leeching potion, I tried to keep it as low as possible in effect. Perhaps if it is desired, I can else change it into a potion too that causes a bleeding debuff on enemies [an unavoidable DOT] much like how there is a weapon for that in the console version.

And yes, with every other mob, birds will only drop these from nature spawned, not from statues.

Some of these things I do agree with, and some I don't understand why they are necessary. Why do we need different kinds of tree seeds for the trees we already have? It would be nice if Corrupt, Crimson, and Palm trees dropped acorns but you can buy them from the Dryad. As Jungle trees will grow on their own they don't need to drop acorns.

So I ask why do we need different kinds of seeds when acorns can be planted on any surface that can even grow a tree. Green grass, hallow grass, corrupted grass, crimson grass, Jungle grass, snow, or even sand, acorns can be planted on all of them and grow the appropriate tree.

I do like the idea of seeds for fruit trees. We have herbs and fish, fruit would be fun. More kinds of food and potions could be a welcome addition.

I have to correct something with you there, you cannot plant acorns on corrupt, crimson or hallows ground.

The suggestion would just add a big variation on the Farming aspect, with some new content for decoration lovers and brewers. And also makes it more encouraged to turn our feathered friends into coloured rain...

Have you tried? After the fishing update I built some sky islands to use as fishing spots. I planted the different grass seeds and after they had grown I planted acorns in the corrupt, crimson, and hallow islands I made. All you need is a clear spot to plant them.

Hmmm that must've been a silent update then, I couldn't find that change in the notes from the wiki page. But anyhow, aside from that, I still would love this suggestion though :).

It was 1.2.3, 1.2.4 let us plant acorns in sand. Anyway I do support the second half of your suggestion. The bird seed would be nice to have.

Hmmm, the bird falling seed seems good, (even though I hate seeing birds die -_-)

Now that I think about it, there is a bird statue. You could make a mob grinder to get a many seeds as you need. I have made a number of grinders, like slime grinders so I can get all the gel I need. Apart from coins and mimic drops the mobs you summon with the statues drop everything the normal mobs drop.

Something that kinda goes along with this, I think Boreal wood trees should be changed to Spruce/Evergreen/Pine trees. It only makes sense that a tree that can survive in a cold environment would be growing in a place that's always cold, right?
Plus, it goes along with the concept of them dropping pinecones!

I really really like this suggestion and hope that at least some of it makes it into the game. If not by the way you have suggested, at least SOME other way.

Back
Top Bottom