Game Mechanics Unblending: New Axe Function

Snickerbobble

The Painter
Pickaxes mine just about everything and hammers take down walls, bust demon altars and shadow orbs, and shape blocks. What about axes? They only chop trees. To make axes more useful, I've thought up of a new building function for them: Unblending.

With 1.2 most blocks now try to "force blend" with others which either ends up with smoother looking blocks or something very messy. Bricks all now blend together which takes away any 3D effect in some builds before 1.2. So to let us choose which blocks to blend or unblend, axes can be given the ability to split blocks apart.

OkvP3BV.png

Here we have a player cutting blocks with an axe. On the left shows the current blending, the middle shows a mix, and the right shows all blocks unblended.

This would mostly be useful in building, such as wanting to make grass stripes like in the picture above. Currently this is impossible.. and makes something kinda messy instead.

For hamaxes, left click would use the hammer option and right click would use the axe function. For the pickaxe axe and picksaw, same thing, but left click is pickaxe function.

If you hit a block again with an axe, it would unblend from its own tile type as well. Hitting it one more time would revert it back to normal. Unblending would work with hammered tiles, too.

I believe many builders would find this useful with bringing depth into their builds and no longer have to work around any blending they don't like. This would give axes more of a use and add a lot more potential building designs without having to add a single new block to the game! :)

This would be nice, but at the same time, I like that the picksaw can cut down trees and then mine blocks seamlessly. Having to switch between right and left click would be a minor inconvenience for a benefit I am currently unsure if I would use.

That said, having this functionality is still an improvement over not having it, and so I support it all the same.

This would be nice, but at the same time, I like that the picksaw can cut down trees and then mine blocks seamlessly.
I see no reason why the tree-cutting function couldn't be retained for left click, and then have block separation be what's reserved for right click. I think that's altogether a better option, in fact. I'd have to bother Snickerbobble about that, though. Which is exactly what I'm going to do. @Snickerbobble

Wow I remember this suggestion from TO, and I still support it!
I wonder why you've just ported it

Although, it doesn't really make sense for an Axe to seperate blocks. Kinda seems like a Pickaxe would do the job
It does make sense for me, because you hit the blended blocks with the axe sharp edge to separate them. Though you're right a pickaxe would make more sense, but pickaxe are already so overused

It does make sense for me, because you hit the blended blocks with the axe sharp edge to separate them. Though you're right a pickaxe would make more sense, but pickaxe are already so overused
Well, we can't use swords. Axes do seem appropiate, but they're rarely used, and only for trees

Although, it doesn't really make sense for an Axe to seperate blocks. Kinda seems like a Pickaxe would do the job
It's very difficult to cut a straight line with a tool like a pickaxe. Normally, things like this would be done with a variety of different tools: A chisel for stone, a hoe for dirt, angry, betrayed tears for gravel and sand, and probably also a chisel for metal. The only material that you might use an axe to cut through is, unsurprisingly, wood.

EDIT: For metal, you'd use some sort of grinding tool. Like a metal cutting wheel, or in some painful cases, a file.

Ditto, and to answer the question. Its because the staff is pretty unlikely to go back to Terraria Online now (honestly I'm surprised the suggestions board there is still open)

Yes. I support! This really should be added, as it can give quite a lot of freedom when designing. Blocks, by default, should be blended, as well as already blended blocks. But I honestly wonder how hard it would be to implement and how unblended hammered blocks would look...

This may be the first thread I've ever seen on the forum that I can see no potential issues with...
You, sir/madam, have made a legendary post.

To clarify though, I assume that holding left mouse button still preforms the appropriate axe/hammer/saw function over the current blocks and holding the right one does continuous secondary only? OP could maybe do with making that more abundantly clear. This working with the smart cursor would be great.

Support... I always seem to have trouble with the blending and there is always one or two blocks that never blend...

I'd also like to see what people do with unblending blocks :D

Huh...

As of posting this there's only 27 likes. What...? I mean the OP isn't huge or in-depth nor does it have an array of things to grant further power but seriously, this is a brilliant design feature! It fundamentally improves the game, which is something I try to aim for with all my suggestions, and do a damn good job of it if I do say so myself. People should be wishing they came up with this post sooner.

Is there something like this on Reddit? If there isn't I think it needs to be.

To clarify though, I assume that holding left mouse button still preforms the appropriate axe/hammer/saw function over the current blocks and holding the right one does continuous secondary only? OP could maybe do with making that more abundantly clear. This working with the smart cursor would be great.

If you don't wish to incorporate this into the OP then would a pole be okay to include? I see this going a few possible ways of being implemented and wonder what general player preference would be, since this in entirely a matter of convenient ascetics. The pole going something like this:

If performing axe function from now on does unblending when hitting blocks that aren't trees, then what would you wish to see?

Picksaw and Hamaxes should:
perform only pickaxe function on left click and right click only performs axe
both pickaxe and axe functions with left click but holding right click does only axe functions
both pickaxe and axe functions with left click but pressing right click only unblends one block per click, nothing more
does pickaxe and axe with left click but pressing/holding right does an auto swing for unblending

Those are the only four/the best four ways I could think of for what could be implemented for the multi-tools. My preference is option two, but hey, I'm fine with with any of those if more people prefer it. Do you guys think a pole would be a good idea? Any ideas listed you wouldn't be happy with, and if so, why?

I guess if it wouldn't be too much trouble then the devs could add two or more of the above and have an option to toggle between them. In the most ideal case all four could be available in the option menu, which would hopefully solve everything.

Back
Top Bottom