Game Mechanics Vegetative Reproduction. Plants that grow on their own!

WilliamD

Official Terrarian
Have you ever though about the process of farming in Terraria? You get a lot of seeds, plant them in the right condition, harvest one by one, replant, restock. Sounds simple right? The problem is:

One: It is BORING. Let's face it, doing all that crap will make you lose interest in farming fairly fast.

Two: it is also rather tedious. You don't get much from it as well and you need more seeds when you run out!

NATURE CALLS!!!

Well I thought up of an solution to this problem; Vegetative Reproduction! Now you might be asking "What is crap Vegetative Reproduction WilliamD?" Well it is the process of asexual reproduction that happens in plants that only requires one plant to produce the offspring. The offspring is genetically identical and is rooted to the original plant. "Wow WilliamD that sounds quite boring as well and what does it have to do with this?"

Think of it, if plants in Terraria could reproduce on their own, then you would have an auto farm going up! No more tedious process of replanting anymore! You could literally buy only one seed, and have it reproduce from there! Also, since they are connected to the same root, if you have Smart Cursor activated, it will harvest them all at once! In addition, each plant has a 10% to drop 1-2 seeds. Finally, they will not preform this this process altogether if the conditions are not met.

"What else?" You may ask. There's more! There is a roughly 5% chance for a plant to become a "Big" plant! When a plant becomes a "big" plant, it will have three of the same plant on one plant!

Sounds overpowered right? Say no more! To keep this balanced, you must have compost on the ground near and on the reproducing plant for it to actually preform this process. In order to craft compost, you need to following:

-Anywhere
_________
-Tin can x10
-Seaweed x10
-Old shoe x10
-Clorophyte ore x1
_________
Compost x10

Why Chlorophyte?
One: Balance
Two: Compost needs life.

Also, after the second plant, vegetative reproduction slows down by 50% for the other plants on the same root to also prevent mega farms.

So what do you think?

image.jpg

Last edited:
So... What do you guys think? Do you think this could go well with Terraria''s existing Mechanics?

Just thinking on how terraria works in all, I really dont think this would actually work. Red said some of things suggested are really good, but the game engine itself cant handle alot anymore.

Just thinking on how terraria works in all, I really dont think this would actually work. Red said some of things suggested are really good, but the game engine itself cant handle alot anymore.
I see what you are saying, but I think a game engine can support plants being able to grow on their own. ;)

I see what you are saying, but I think a game engine can support plants being able to grow on their own. ;)
Hmm yes that is true, just think how trees work, you need 20 blocks high minimum and 2 block on each side to support. The rng for plants tho is just really random.

I have read through and contemplated my reply and the application of such a mechanic within the current build.

I do (personally) feel that there is such a place for this in Terraria focusing more so towards the mid/end game more so than anywhere else. For those (Im looking at myself to :p) who are constantly using pots/farming or doing an insane quest for completion this would help make a few things that seems like chores a bit easier but I do think it should have a somewhat steep startup cost. So here come my thoughts...

This can only be done using the new planter boxes or a new variation which takes 1 planter box and 3 compost to make a fertilized box.
Natures cure powder sold by the driad after either plantera/golem is defeated and living in the jungle. Similar to unlimited ammo, 1 natures cure and one or more stacks of seeds for the Vegetative variation.

These are just idea's you may or may not like ^-^ ill leave it up to you but I do have one last thing for those who question about the Terraria engine. It is possible using the current game engine and recycled code of biome spreading apart from spreading a biome it spreads the current plant. It would take some adapting but it is possible.

Back
Top Bottom