Sprites Vermin Horde (Alternate Goblin Army)

Izzabelle

Lunatic Cultist
kdcROYP.png

DmYsNvr.png

IJATlTj.png

an alternate goblin army

kdcROYP.png

Introduction
vr-fSqwQzZGil4mrMj3r2aTllqM_TvnG6QJdm4j8yDD9k-P2FGyfA4sPPOUJQZELag8_u3x9XKK2Vt5C7qoD47Vqa5Xj0jYJxww78YAHgcKWk-Sgg_oUA1-oZmIxB5dC30mEzkC6
"Cunning, devious, and without number, the Vermin aid evil by acting as it's primary attack force. Between their blades, plagues, and tenacity -- few can fend off their ilk for long."

Surprise! Alternate Goblin Army!

Vermin Horde is my first non-nature alternate suggestion, but certainly not the last. Like the Shooting Star biome, this is was one of those suggestions I used to work on when I got bored with the regular schedule of alternates. However... my casual projects are now part of the whole alternate project -- I'm just keeping them in reserve :dryadwink:. This particular alternate doesn't reference too much else, and what it does reference is simply cheesey! Ha! Hopefully you enjoy it still! Thank you to everyone for the massive support regarding these suggestions -- you guys rock and I love being able to make these for you. :dryadpassionate:
vr-fSqwQzZGil4mrMj3r2aTllqM_TvnG6QJdm4j8yDD9k-P2FGyfA4sPPOUJQZELag8_u3x9XKK2Vt5C7qoD47Vqa5Xj0jYJxww78YAHgcKWk-Sgg_oUA1-oZmIxB5dC30mEzkC6

kdcROYP.png

Disclaimer

***** Please Read Before Posting *****

This is a suggestion. And as such does not assume anything definitively. This means...

Balance is a non-issue; the numbers are provided to elicit an idea of what values an object could have. If the not-set-in-stone-imaginary numbers upset you, you're welcome to suggest other numbers, but they have no bearing on the suggestion changed or not.

Sprites are a non-issue; sprites have been provided, like balance, to help imagine the suggestion as a concept. In no way are any of the sprites final. Just like the numbers, they too are not-set-in-stone-imaginary things. This means that recolored, spliced, and unique sprites have no ultimate bearing on the suggestion. If any particular sprite upsets you, you are welcome to provide one of your own to remedy the not-actually-an-issue so that I may reject it.

This is an alternate. This means that Vermin Horde will spawn in a world instead of Goblin Army. It does not replace Goblin Army. As an alternate, Vermin Horde additionally does not mirror the values or gameplay of Goblin Army in a 1:1 ratio. It is it's own event, not a recolor or reskin. Vermin Horde is also NOT an expansion. There is no additional content. Content included in Vermin Horde is a counterpart or replacement of existing content given to Goblin Army.

Lastly; as an alternate (and not an expansion or replacement), Vermin Horde does not assume to redefine class balance. I'm sorry if your favorite class isn't represented well in the suggestion. If Goblin Army represented all classes equally, so too would Vermin Horde.

Addendum:
1. I am currently not interested in converting my suggestions into mods. Thank you for the consideration, but I'll have to pass.
2. If you wish to use my unique sprites, you MUST ask for permission first.

kdcROYP.png

Concept Music

kdcROYP.png

Environment & Items

Items

Sprite | Name | Replaces | Type | Max Stack | Rarity | Ingredients | Crafted At
A9zYLWZ.png
| Cheese Platter | Goblin Battle Standard | Summoning | 20 |
2D0fips1KepG-aKMLfbF0vjAzbRQnff8KTfh-kXXT6c7HmFPvM4kjvJgLj_Mql_0EMmrIEqoyqlXuiK7aLi9Jj9iZOeWDDZsAO8UX015dLQXnTh6naq7e6URZBUVNGZ3X2h89I_x
|
veNJTOR.png
x10,
Wood.png
x5 |
Cooking_Pot.png
A9zYLWZ.png

Cheese Platter is used to manually summon the Vermin Horde.

Monster Drops

Sprite | Name | Replaces | Type | Max Stack | Rarity | Drops From
veNJTOR.png
| Cheese | Tattered Cloth | Crafting Material | 99 |
Rarity_color_0.png
| Vermin Picket

kdcROYP.png

Enemies

• DMG = damage
  • HP = health
  • DEF = defense
  • KBR = knock back resistance
  • IMREx9n.png
    Spawns during the day
  • lN6EJrB.png
    Spawns during the night

Sprite | Name | Drops | DMG | HP | DEF | KBR | Inflicts | AI | Spawn |
Banner​
dvnDw3D.png
| Vermin Picket |
veNJTOR.png
100% | 18 | 60 | 5 | 30% | | Fighter |
IMREx9n.png
lN6EJrB.png
|
GtYc3Ue.png
1CstHvw.png
| Vermin Drudge |
1VWR87F.png
45%,
dEIncpV.png
0.5% | 10 | 50 | 4 | 20% | | Fighter | |
TcMoJzq.png
6ymFtqQ.gif
| Vermin Boil |
1VWR87F.png
45%,
dEIncpV.png
0.5% | 50 | 30 | 3 | 20% |
Poisoned.png
| Fighter | |
7Lqd9yV.png
kPu1qDA.png
| Vermin Grenadier |
1VWR87F.png
45%,
dEIncpV.png
0.5% | 20 | 80 | 5 | 20% |
Poisoned.png
| Fighter | |
nOElSHS.png
TiY5BO5.png
| Vermin Alchemist |
1VWR87F.png
45%,
dEIncpV.png
0.5% | 20 | 50 | 4 | 25% |
Poisoned.png
| Fighter | |
VhBXFeu.png
T7Vb6mx.png
| Vermin Rogue |
1VWR87F.png
45%,
dEIncpV.png
0.5% | 30 | 75 | 5 | 30% |
Poisoned.png
| Fighter | |
IA6dogM.png
4BZOirZ.png
| Vermin Assassin |
1f6MK0G.png
16.7%,
AYDjyY6.png
16.7%,
k4XRDFc.png
16.7% | 90 | 1800 | 20 | 60% |
Poisoned.png
Venom.png
| Fighter/Caster | |
nvMGA4h.png
dvnDw3D.png

Vermin Pickets are always on the look out. They're sent to the front lines to gather information even if it costs them their lives. Only the bravest (and sometimes the most cowardly) of Vermin become Pickets.

Pickets behave like Goblin Scouts. However, when a Picket's health is 50% or below, they will attempt to run away from the player and despawn.
1CstHvw.png

The Drudges are the lowest class in the twisted society of the Vermin. In great numbers, they often follow larger Vermin in the hopes that they can scavenge, loot, or feed in the wake of their brethren.

At 50% health or below, Drudges attempt to flee the player and despawn -- if they do, they return as Boils. Vermin Drudges can open doors and climb walls.
6ymFtqQ.gif

Boils are unfortunate Drudges who were caught fleeing from battle. Once captured, their bodies are filled with stimulants, combustibles, and various poisons and then sent into battle once more. Driven mad by the chemical mixtures, they rush their enemies and explode leaving craters of tainted ground and air.

Vermin Boils move much more quickly than other Vermin. They rush the player and on contact they explode causing damage in a small area and dying. The explosion also leaves a plume of gas that causes Poison to any player that moves through it and last for a short time. Boils can not open doors but they can leap horizontally large distances. Drudges can become Boils by despawning, but Boils can spawn on their own too.
kPu1qDA.png

The Grenadiers are a caste of Vermin trained to lob volatile explosives filled with poisonous gases in battle. While many Drudges aspire to become Grenadiers, most blow themselves up or become Boils... and then blow themselves up.

Grenadiers will throw grenades at the player. The grenades will explode on contact with the player, or will otherwise bounce off surfaces and explode after a small amount of time. The explosions leave gas clouds in their wake that cause Poison to players who pass through it and last for a short time. Grenadiers can open doors.
TiY5BO5.png

The smartest Vermin eventually become Alchemists. Vermin Alchemists harness the many diseases of their race and weaponize them. They are responsible for the poisons used to augment the Vermin Horde's weapons and the various chemicals used to create Boils. Unfortunately, the Alchemists are also trained in war -- equipping tanks of poisonous goo to spray at their enemies.

Alchemists spray goo that causes damage and Poisons the player. Their weapon behaves like a long range Slime Gun. Goo that hits the ground or a surface will coat that area. Walking through the goo area will Poison the player. The goo lasts a short while. Alchemists can open doors.
T7Vb6mx.png

Some of the most cunning and sinister Vermin become Rogues. Rogues are considered some of the best warriors among the Vermin, able to quickly and stealthily approach their targets to dispatch them in a flurry of stabbings. Rogues also have the responsibility of overseeing Drudges in battle and hunting down any who flee.

Rogues are invisible until they get within a certain distance of the player. They move more quickly than other Vermin. Rogues do not have to open doors, they will fade through them. Rogues can climb walls and jump higher than other vermin. Their attacks inflict Poison.
4BZOirZ.png

Vermin Assassins are the deadliest, most cruel, and the most secretive of the Vermin castes. The Assassin caste is made up of albino female Vermin and are taken from birth to be trained in the most treacherous arts. Among the Vermin, it is whispered that an Assassin is not ready for battle until they have successfully stalked and murdered a Rogue without their target being aware of their presence.

Like Rogues, Assassins are invisible until they get within a certain distance of the player. They move more quickly than other Vermin and can occasionally teleport. Assassins do not have to open doors, they will fade through them. Assassins can climb walls and jump higher than other vermin. Their attacks inflict Poison and Venom. Occasionally they will throw a dagger at the player that can go through blocks and cause Poison and Venom.

Vermin Assassins only appear in Hardmode.

kdcROYP.png

Equipment

Weapons & Tools

Sprite | Name | DMG | Power | Velocity | Mana | KB | Use Time | Rarity | Ingredients | Crafted At
1VWR87F.png
| Rat Trap | 14 | | 5 | | 2 | 14 (Very Fast) |
2D0fips1KepG-aKMLfbF0vjAzbRQnff8KTfh-kXXT6c7HmFPvM4kjvJgLj_Mql_0EMmrIEqoyqlXuiK7aLi9Jj9iZOeWDDZsAO8UX015dLQXnTh6naq7e6URZBUVNGZ3X2h89I_x
| |
dEIncpV.png
| Poison Shotbow | 25 | | 8 | | 2 | 29 (Average) |
Rarity_color_2.png
| |
1f6MK0G.png
| Plague Kukri | 42 | | 15 | | 4 | 12 (Very Fast) |
Rarity_color_5.png
| |
AYDjyY6.png
| Plague Staff | 14 | | 10 | 10 | 3 | 35 (Slow) |
Rarity_color_5.png
| |
k4XRDFc.png
| Rat Tail | 40 | | 14 | 7 | 4 | 13 (Very Fast) |
Rarity_color_5.png
| |
1VWR87F.png

Rat Traps function similarly to Spikey Balls, but they slow enemies for a brief amount of time as well as cause damage. Damage typed caused is Throwing.
dEIncpV.png

The Poison Shotbow has a very small chance to cause arrows to pierce. Wooden arrows fired from the weapon turn into Poison Arrows, which cause Poison and deal slightly more damage. It has a 10% chance not to consume ammo. Arrows fired from the Poison Shotbow can not be recovered.
cYwMOOk.png

Plague is a Debuff exclusive to the Vermin Horde.

Plague deals 4 damage per second to targets for a short while. The Plague debuff will spread to other targets that come close to a target suffering from Plague. Plague can only spread to targets that do not have already have Plague. Plague's duration is refreshed whenever the target is hit with Plague again or is afflicted with Poison or Venom debuffs. An enemy suffering from Plague will also suffer an additional 1 damage per second if Poison or Venom affects them (max of 2 additional damage per second) on top of whatever damage Plague, Poison, and Venom are causing.
1f6MK0G.png

The Plague Kukri has a 50% chance to inflict Plague on enemies. It also has a 1% chances to instantly kill non-boss, non-pillar enemies. The Plague Kukri behaves like a short sword, Psycho Knife, and Shield of Cthulhu. Using it will cause the player to dash into an enemy dealing damage. While holding the Plague Kukri, the player enters stealth mode raising only the player's Critical Strike chance (up to 75%).
AYDjyY6.png
L5I9cNy.png
zdVFJEg.png

The Plague Staff will summon rat minions that have a 15% chance to inflict Plague and a 50% chance to double attack, causing damage twice in quick succession. The Plague Staff can summon 2 rat minions for every 1 allowed minion. Every 2 rat minions will count as 1 total minion.
k4XRDFc.png

The Rat Tail functions similarly to the Chain Knife, but it is a Magic weapon.

When the player has Mana for the Rat Tail to use, the Rat Tail pierces enemies and has a 30% chance to cause Plague or Poison.

If the player is out of Mana, or doesn't have enough Mana for the Rat Tail, the weapon does not pierce and only has a 30% chance to cause Poison.

kdcROYP.png

Support

Feel free to copy the code(s) below to place the alternate sigil into your signature! And be sure to check out my alternates thread for more alternate suggestions!

0IxrVPY.gif

Code:
[url='http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/vermin-horde-alternate-goblin-army.51203/'][img]http://i.imgur.com/0IxrVPY.gif[/img][/url]

Last edited:
Nice sprites and nice idea for an alternate invasion (that probaly is almost never suggested). Also the vermin alchemist reminds me of twitch :p

"I didn't want to remove the Mechanic's crush."
She's already gotten chained up the dungeon/castle, we wouldn't want her suffering any more.

Great work on this, when you showed the image initially I almost thought it looked like a slice of pizza, but I like this better.
Also, must not let drudges escape. I'll hate those boils enough without their numbers being reinforced. I also think the rogue and assassin idea is cool. Going to have to keep my eyes peeled for those sneaky rats.
And lastly the lingering effects are an interesting touch, makes some level of strategy required.

haha, i guess now i know what it's like for arachnophobes to play games. i've never liked rodents much. maybe i'll just pretend they're hamsters.:p good job tho.

"I didn't want to remove the Mechanic's crush."
She's already gotten chained up the dungeon/castle, we wouldn't want her suffering any more.

Great work on this, when you showed the image initially I almost thought it looked like a slice of pizza, but I like this better.
Also, must not let drudges escape. I'll hate those boils enough without their numbers being reinforced. I also think the rogue and assassin idea is cool. Going to have to keep my eyes peeled for those sneaky rats.
And lastly the lingering effects are an interesting touch, makes some level of strategy required.

Looked like a Star Destroyer/ floating island thing to me...

Also, if this ever get's added I will finally have a reason to be happy that I didn't put my base at spawn. No boils for me. :happy:

Love the idea! If I could find one thing to gripe about it'd be the sprites :p A Black Outline should almost never be used, and some of the shading is quite off. Otherwise, great work!

Love the idea! If I could find one thing to gripe about it'd be the sprites :p A Black Outline should almost never be used, and some of the shading is quite off. Otherwise, great work!
Sprites are a non-issue; sprites have been provided, like balance, to help imagine the suggestion as a concept. In no way are any of the sprites final. Just like the numbers, they too are not-set-in-stone-imaginary things. This means that recolored, spliced, and unique sprites have no ultimate bearing on the suggestion. If any particular sprite upsets you, you are welcome to provide one of your own to remedy the not-actually-an-issue so that I may reject it.
The reason for the black outline is for forum readability -- not game accuracy.

You should add a NPC for this invasion, as it would feel a bit strange for him to appear if the Goblins don't appear otherwise. As for the lines, the suggested NPC could be a bit more of a "mad scientist" archetype.
Judging by some of the enemies involved (Specially Boils and Alchemists), was the Vermin Horde based on the Skaven from Warhammer Fantasy?

You should add a NPC for this invasion, as it would feel a bit strange for him to appear if the Goblins don't appear otherwise. As for the lines, the suggested NPC could be a bit more of a "mad scientist" archetype.
Judging by some of the enemies involved (Specially Boils and Alchemists), was the Vermin Horde based on the Skaven from Warhammer Fantasy?
Nah. I was initially going to replace the Tinkerer -- but after inspecting his dialogue... there's nothing that really says the Tinkerer NEEDS to be captured by Goblins. Some of his lines only require some swaps.

And since it would preserve a lot of the Mechanic's lines as well -- the Tinkerer is best left alone. If that's weird to you, it's because you're equating the Goblin Tinkerer's race with needing to be the race that invades. And that's just not a rule.

But yes, the Vermin Horde is based on the Skaven! I'm a big Warhammer / 40K fan.

Nah. I was initially going to replace the Tinkerer -- but after inspecting his dialogue... there's nothing that really says the Tinkerer NEEDS to be captured by Goblins. Some of his lines only require some swaps.

And since it would preserve a lot of the Mechanic's lines as well -- the Tinkerer is best left alone. If that's weird to you, it's because you're equating the Goblin Tinkerer's race with needing to be the race that invades. And that's just not a rule.

But yes, the Vermin Horde is based on the Skaven! I'm a big Warhammer / 40K fan.
Well, then probabily the Goblin Tinkerer could also change some of his items so that, for example, he sells Rat Traps instead of Spiky Balls.

Back
Top Bottom