Pixel Art When Chrome has nothing better to do...

Corruption or Crimson? Which biome should get their mobs re-done first?

• Total voters
Please note that at this time Request are: Closed, I am currently working on a few and am starting on my re-spriting of Corruption biome mobs.
Closed
Open

Edit (4/8/15): Poll added for voting on which mobs get re-done next! If you haven't made a choice already, please do so!!
Edit (4/9/15): Requests section added.

Hello hello! Don't mind me, I'm just a bored (and awfully lazy) person passing by! I do make a little sprite work and pixel art here and there when I'm feeling up to it.

For the time being, this may be a somewhat slow-to update topic as I eke out work to post here in between all the stuff going on with college and other events. I'll come back and tidy this up into sub-sections to condense the wall of text sometime later when I feel there's enough to warrant a change.

About requests: For those of you looking to get something done as a request, please keep these things in mind and familiarize yourself with my request criteria and the rules below:

Rules:
I will NOT make NSFW or anything violating Terraria forum's TOS and forum rules. This SHOULD be a given, but I will reiterate just in case.
I will NOT tolerate pestering or complaining about the time it takes for your request to be done. Keep in mind that YOU are coming to ME for what is effectively a freebie. If you are not patient enough to wait for something that you did not pay for, then my requests are not for you.
If your request was denied for any reason, do not complain, complaining will only make me refuse to take any future request submissions from you.
If there are no slots available for requests, I can place you on a waiting list. HOWEVER, if the waiting list is full too, then you'll have to wait till one or the other is available.

Criteria:
You MAY request- Sprite edits, Pixel art, Pixel avatar concepts, Monster/mob/Boss concepts etc. PROVIDED that you either give me a detailed description of what it is you want, a reference image/sprite that I can base it off of/edit, OR a combination of the two if I feel I need more info.
Once your request has been accepted, your username will appear on the slot list below with a status tag.

MOST IMPORTANTLY! Once you have read the Rules and have added the necessary fields, YOU MUST POST THE FOLLOWING WORD/PHRASE AT THE TOP OF YOUR POST IF YOU ARE MAKING A REQUEST!!!: Overworld
(Any request lacking this will be auto-denied. Rules are very important, and I expect people to follow them if they are asking me to do something for them.)

Request slots & status:
1.] RoboTT (Custom ore tools & armor: In-progress)
2.]kciwdahC (NPC re-Spriting: In-Progress.Request being a long-tem project will take some time.)
3.]Closed
4.]Closed

Waiting list:
1.]
2.]
3.]

Propeller Beanie for RoboTT:
request__propeller_beanie_for_robott_by_chrome_sprites-d8p3od5.png

Frost legion for Pixel (ZIP file available under the mob re-make tab):
frost_legion_re_sprite_by_chrome_sprites-d8p4t3t.png
rainbow_slime_animation_by_chrome_sprites-d8p3o1k.gif
And before you ask, these are NOT sprite edits, they are done from scratch. Therefore, if you want to use these for any reason (such as editing further or adapting for some purpose like a modpack), ASK FIRST!!!(and if approved, give proper credit)

"Completed" sprite remakes for texture replacement: (to use, unzip the file using TCCL or some other form of file substutition/replacement)

Slimes:

Sprite re-makes:
To curb my boredom this time around, I decided to take a stab at sprucing up some of Terraria's most iconic mob, the slime. (I only did the regular versions found all year round, and not including the summoned pet slime)
For the most part, there's been minor changes to the mobs aside from more variation in the base sprites and the color palette. Unfortunatly, the Dungeons slime, Slimeling, Corrupted slime, and the Slimer (flying and wingless) all had the same color even in Terraria's original state, so I had to use textures and other clever tricks to get around my limitations with the color palette that I used for all the remaining sprites. (I'm trying to keep things simple by making my palette contain as few colors as necessary to get a good variety.)

Because of in-game restrictions (Terraria uses the same slime sprite, just with a different color shader applied, to represent many of the in-game sprites.) I was not able to put in the actual pinky sprite or many variations of the below slime sizes. Also, the spikeless jungle slime does not have the vine. Sadly many of these are wishful thinking on my part. the in-game representations of these slimes are somewhat different if you are using my texture files but thankfully should be fairly true to how I intended for them to look.

Slimes shown below are: Green Slime, Purple Slime, Pinky, Blue slime, Yellow slime, Umbrella slime, Dungeon slime, Red slime, Black slime, Mother Slime, Baby slime, Slimeling, Corrupted slime,Crimslime, Illuminant slime, Toxic sludge, Jungle slime, Ice slime, Lava slime, Jungle slime(spiked), Ice slime(spiked), And last but not least, the Rainbow slime!(complete with all frames used and its own GIF)

terraria__slimes_re_sprited_by_chrome_sprites-d8p3mio.png
rainbow_slime_animation_by_chrome_sprites-d8p3o1k.gif

I used a mostly flat shading style on these with little to no dithering (except for on the Crimslime and some of the Corruption based-slimes). I added a vine to the jungle slime (to help set it apart from the green slime) and gave the Lava slime some rocky bits because it's just a plain looking slime aside from the in-game particle effects. Corruption slime (plus slimeling) contain eyeballs to make them a little different than a dungeon slime. I wasn't all that fond of the Crimslime's texture, so I added some bones to the interior instead of the odd flesh lumps it had on the base of its original sprite. Toxic Sludge is.. mostly true to the official sprite, eye placement, shading and teeth placement are mostly changed, but I made it's derpy grin a bit bigger.

Frost Legion (as requested by @Pixel ):
Texture Zip file:Frost legion re-done by Chrome.zip

Frost Legion was a little tricky Considering there's not a lot of room to add or subtract pixels from the overall design without it becoming either an amorphous blob, or a skinny scribble.
frost_legion_re_sprite_by_chrome_sprites-d8p4t3t.png

Attachments

• Re-done slimes by Chrome.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Frost legion re-done by Chrome.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Nice. The slimes look very.... glossy.

Yup! Thanks!
Honestly It always struck me as a bit odd how the in-game slimes always looked so dull, despite being made of..well..slime! Though I guess it could be chalked up to the graphics level of detail at the time Terraria was first released. Or if we're looking at it in an in-game logic sort of way, I guess the slimes wouldn't be all that shiny after a day of hopping around in the dirt. XD

This... This needs to replace the old slime textures, it's amazing!

Thanks! I wish I knew myself how to change the in-game sprites without having to worry about things like the hitbox size or alignment. However, if you can figure it out or find someone who knows how to replace sprites, you're more than welcome to use these.

Last edited:
Wow, these sprites are really good!
The only thing that stops me from implementing them is frames, and a white variation of the Rainbow Slime.

They're really nice! I do have to say that it looks like the Umbrella Slime has a hand here (which may or may not be intended), while in the original sprite it's more clear that it's rather someone else's hand, eaten by the slime.

In the original sprite it's more clear that it's rather someone else's hand, eaten by the slime.

... you know, I nevet actually looked that hard at the original Umbrella slime. But now that you mention it, it is much more apparent that it is supposed to be some poor sap's arm left over from the Slime's previous meal. I might very well go back and make some changes so it fits. Thanks for bringing that up!
[DOUBLEPOST=1428355266][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wow, these sprites are really good!
The only thing that stops me from implementing them is frames, and a white variation of the Rainbow Slime.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to rip the original sprite sheet of the slimes so I could see how to go about adding in the squash and stretch frames needed for people to use them?

Last edited:
[DOUBLEPOST=1428355266][/DOUBLEPOST]

Do you think it would be worthwhile to rip the original sprite sheet of the slimes so I could see how to go about adding in the squash and stretch frames needed for people to use them?
In order for anybody to be able to implement them, you would need to make animation sheets. I can supply you with the Vanilla animation sheets, if you wish.

In order for anybody to be able to implement them, you would need to make animation sheets. I can supply you with the Vanilla animation sheets, if you wish.

If you know how to obtain the original animation sheet, that'd be a big help! I am planning on sprucing up some of the Corruption's other mobs later on as well, so starting with something simple like making an alternative sheet for the Slime mobs will give me a good idea of what to expect for more detailed creatures.

One problem is that a lot of the slimes just use the same one texture, and the game changes their colour according to what type of slime they are. It would still work if the sheet was set to be replaced by a grey version of the slimes in this thread, but the ingame slimes would turn out in slightly different colours than intended.

The detail and, I presume, effort put into these 'high definition' sprites is quite phenomenal. Definitely liking the style of spritework here, sure is a shame you don't take requests. But I'd image it would be a little frustrating, and hard to cope with at your standards.

Definitely going to keep my eye on this thread, that's for sure.

One problem is that a lot of the slimes just use the same one texture, and the game changes their colour according to what type of slime they are. It would still work if the sheet was set to be replaced by a grey version of the slimes in this thread, but the ingame slimes would turn out in slightly different colours than intended.

Wait, are we talking about overlay functions of various hues like what the game does for the rainbow slime (IE a whitish base with the game rendering in the strobe effect via code commands written in to transition the colors?). Because I REALLY hope that the only slime that actually does have that sort of setup is the rainbow slime, and all the others are reliant on the developer's designated color palette placed on the sprites themselves.

The detail and, I presume, effort put into these 'high definition' sprites is quite phenomenal. Definitely liking the style of spritework here, sure is a shame you don't take requests. But I'd image it would be a little frustrating, and hard to cope with at your standards.

Definitely going to keep my eye on this thread, that's for sure.

Thank you! And yeah, for the time being, I'm trying to get a feel for what I can do with the game's existing content. Plus I don't work well under pressure. However, if things go well, I may be open to a small hand full of requests sooner than expected. : D

A member who frequents this forums, whose name I can't quite remember, used to do this 'Texture a day' thread, and have a new proclaimed 'high definition' sprite made on a daily basis. Your sprites remind me of his/her style, which is pretty good, I have to say.

It'd definitely be nice to see some more of your sprites, perhaps on different creatures, or maybe some items.

Ok, I managed to find all of the sheets.
NPC_1.png
NPC_16.png
NPC_59.png
NPC_71.png
NPC_81.png
NPC_121.png
NPC_138.png
NPC_141.png
NPC_147.png
NPC_183.png
NPC_184.png
NPC_204.png
NPC_225.png
NPC_244.png
NPC_50.png
NPC_302.png
NPC_303.png
NPC_304.png
NPC_336.png
NPC_335.png
NPC_334.png
NPC_333.png
Also, here's a zip file of all of the animations.

Attachments

• Slimes.zip
    28.7 KB · Views: 174
A member who frequents this forums, whose name I can't quite remember, used to do this 'Texture a day' thread, and have a new proclaimed 'high definition' sprite made on a daily basis. Your sprites remind me of his/her style, which is pretty good, I have to say.

It'd definitely be nice to see some more of your sprites, perhaps on different creatures, or maybe some items.

Awesome! Yeah, I'll definitely consider it after I knock out the challenge of putting together the first batch and seeing how it goes. It's really encouraging to see people showing interest in what was originally just me goofing off and shining up some of Terraria's older stuff.

Ok, I managed to find all of the sheets.
Also, here's a zip file of all of the animations.

AUGH, Por-qua Terraria!? Why would you do something so cruel as mashing all the different colored slimes into one 'default' palette!? (I know, I know, it saves time and energy consolidating things that are effectively recolored, re-sized versions of eachother into one file, but it still makes me a little sad that not all of my variations will fit.)
Well, at the very least, the textures for all the slimes using the same sprite will be a little fancier! Thanks for finding all these for me! I'll get to work shaping up the existing sprites I have for the frames needed to complete the animations!

Awesome! Yeah, I'll definitely consider it after I knock out the challenge of putting together the first batch and seeing how it goes. It's really encouraging to see people showing interest in what was originally just me goofing off and shining up some of Terraria's older stuff.

AUGH, Por-qua Terraria!? Why would you do something so cruel as mashing all the different colored slimes into one 'default' palette!? (I know, I know, it saves time and energy consolidating things that are effectively recolored, re-sized versions of eachother into one file, but it still makes me a little sad that not all of my variations will fit.)
Well, at the very least, the textures for all the slimes using the same sprite will be a little fancier! Thanks for finding all these for me! I'll get to work shaping up the existing sprites I have for the frames needed to complete the animations!

I can't wait to see these slimes come to life.

I can't wait to see these slimes come to life.
You won't have to wait long! I'm about 75% done. The ones left are the Flying Slimer, The Rainbow slime, and King slime are left! I just hope that the sprites are aligned properly and that the adjustments that I had to make look ok in-game.

I really like the slimes, they're nice and shiny. And look like proper gel.

Thank you! While I'm sad to say some alternatives in designs, like the actually scaled down Pinky, the selective saturation/hues used on some sprites, and some of the sprites done above will not make it due to Terraria itself not having individual sprite files for each unique slime mob, at least most will benefit from a re-spriting or a shading style change.

Last edited:
Sprites are done! I certainly hope they work and look halfway decent, I had to change the sprite sizing, adjust placement of internal objects, etc. You can find them under the spoiler tag or at the attached files under my main post.

Back
Top Bottom