PC A new type of invulnerability machine

I clearly remember that I have said that unicorn dashing speed is 12 pixels per tick, or 45 tiles per second, and the unicorn give a immunity of 30 ticks to the enemies. Therefore, It is not hard to calculate that you need at least 12 dummies to make unicorn invulnerability machine work.

About slime amount, because the 6/10 rule(slime stamping gives the player 6 tick of immunity whilst gives the enemies 10) 2 dummies are enough.

Whatever, it seems that the falling-damage-based machine works most reliably and grants the most freedom to the player, but the slime mount machine is the easiest to build.

Oh, interesting! (That's why it only sometimes worked..) Looks like I got something to try out!
[DOUBLEPOST=1439634534,1439620016][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, I tested the Unicorn one with more dummies, seems to work. I still have to make a video though and keep testing it! :D

Teleporting and getting teleported back instantly.
Should I upload a video or a gif that shows this?
Yes, absolutely, I've had others complain about this. Maybe start a "Multi-player mechanical problems" thread here, for other issues to be added too...
P.S. Would you mind making a thread here that discusses about this: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...-1-3-1-calling-all-terrarian-mechanics.29865/
Anyone is welcome to start a new 1.3.1 mechanic patch discussion thread too.... ;)
but the slime mount machine is the easiest to build.
Yes, it was the go-to option for a friend to finally circumvent an 'impossible' expert mode Planterra. So I think there might be a player invulnerability exception added for dummies before too long...
I still have to make a video though
Or perhaps make a Gif and embed it (or embed a video), e.g. Screen to Gif plus Gfycat hosting. (Unless you're going to make and publish a full guide?:))

Shhh... ;) Yeah, I think that would be the next work-around, shark (or maybe mimic statue, depending on behaviour), to have enough health to survive long enough (for the 0.5s statue cooldown).

Maybe with multiple shark statues and a few hoiks? Anyways, going to try making the video today. I also made a thread for "Multi-player mechanical problems".
[DOUBLEPOST=1440218347,1439696282][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, here is a gfy:

I deeply apologize for there not being a rainbow in the background. xD
[DOUBLEPOST=1440425864][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, a little question: Dart traps deal projectile damage right? So, having a bunch of dart traps that shoot you won't work, right? Also, what about the other traps? (Flame trap?)

Oh, a little question: Dart traps deal projectile damage right? So, having a bunch of dart traps that shoot you won't work, right? Also, what about the other traps? (Flame trap?)
Darts are projectiles. About fire, it is that a projectile(#1), which has launched from the flame trap, spawns flame projectiles(#2) as it moves. All are projectiles.

So my next video will feature a Pumpkin Moon + Frost Moon AFK farm using this "demonic washing machine" approach. I will give credit to Thiner for his suggestion of using falling damage as a way of achieving invulnerability, ZeroGravitas and z26 for their follow-up, and to bahamut2001 for his version of the washing machine using hoiks. The fall damage approach makes a significant difference compared to the slime invulnerability approach because it allows the player to use the almighty Stardust Dragon.

In expert mode (!) I can reach the final wave in Pumpkin Moon by around 9pm completely AFK, and generate around 75-80 platinum for the entire event by carefully managing the drops. From the Pumpking Trophy drops I end up killing about 280-300 pumpkings in one night.

I can reach the final wave of Frost Moon by around 12:15am completely AFK, again in expert mode. It wasn't even possible to reach the final wave AFK before 1.3 (the best was wave 17), and now we easily can even in expert mode. The Dragon makes such a huge difference.

I don't bother with any health regeneration or a cross necklace (I use teleporters instead of a complete loop) because they are not necessary for the Moon events - the event bosses constantly replenish the player's health. The set-up also allows for the farming of every boss except for the Moon Lord, because with a Stardust Dragon the bosses are killed very quickly. In a follow-up video I'll showcase a fight against all Terraria bosses, including the Frost Moon event bosses, except for Moon Lord.

The one issue is that it's not that pleasant to view the machine in action. I tried moving the machine up into space but no luck, because there's no fall damage there, and using the slime mount + dummies doesn't work AFK since eventually the mounted player falls off when the dragon hits the dummies. I also seached around for mods that would allow for "free cam mode" that would allow for the player to control the view instead of the screen always following the player character. No luck except for the gameiki mod, which hasn't been updated for 1.3.

So, does anyone know of any mods that allow for "free cam mode"? I think I remember Yrimir using it without resorting to gameiki, but I'm not sure if it was an actual Terraria mod or some sort of editing trick. Does anyone know whether there are ways of editing the videos to stop the entire screen from constantly bouncing up and down?
[DOUBLEPOST=1441507765,1441467195][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a quick preview of what the arena looks like:

CCHN0cq.png

Almost ready to shoot the video. Still working a bit on the aesthetics although I'm really liking the look right now.

So my next video will feature a Pumpkin Moon + Frost Moon AFK farm using this "demonic washing machine" approach. I will give credit to Thiner for his suggestion of using falling damage as a way of achieving invulnerability, ZeroGravitas and z26 for their follow-up, and to bahamut2001 for his version of the washing machine using hoiks. The fall damage approach makes a significant difference compared to the slime invulnerability approach because it allows the player to use the almighty Stardust Dragon.

In expert mode (!) I can reach the final wave in Pumpkin Moon by around 9pm completely AFK, and generate around 75-80 platinum for the entire event by carefully managing the drops. From the Pumpking Trophy drops I end up killing about 280-300 pumpkings in one night.

I can reach the final wave of Frost Moon by around 12:15am completely AFK, again in expert mode. It wasn't even possible to reach the final wave AFK before 1.3 (the best was wave 17), and now we easily can even in expert mode. The Dragon makes such a huge difference.

I don't bother with any health regeneration or a cross necklace (I use teleporters instead of a complete loop) because they are not necessary for the Moon events - the event bosses constantly replenish the player's health. The set-up also allows for the farming of every boss except for the Moon Lord, because with a Stardust Dragon the bosses are killed very quickly. In a follow-up video I'll showcase a fight against all Terraria bosses, including the Frost Moon event bosses, except for Moon Lord.

The one issue is that it's not that pleasant to view the machine in action. I tried moving the machine up into space but no luck, because there's no fall damage there, and using the slime mount + dummies doesn't work AFK since eventually the mounted player falls off when the dragon hits the dummies. I also seached around for mods that would allow for "free cam mode" that would allow for the player to control the view instead of the screen always following the player character. No luck except for the gameiki mod, which hasn't been updated for 1.3.

So, does anyone know of any mods that allow for "free cam mode"? I think I remember Yrimir using it without resorting to gameiki, but I'm not sure if it was an actual Terraria mod or some sort of editing trick. Does anyone know whether there are ways of editing the videos to stop the entire screen from constantly bouncing up and down?
[DOUBLEPOST=1441507765,1441467195][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a quick preview of what the arena looks like:

Almost ready to shoot the video. Still working a bit on the aesthetics although I'm really liking the look right now.

A quick and dirty trick would be to play in multiplayer.

no, but player 2 can record player 1.

wiring has some delay issues in multiplayer Ive heard, but hopefully your mechanism is simple enough for that not to matter.

Of course you want to stop player 2 from being harmed too (without putting him in an invulnerability machine). Wonder if you can kill a hardcore character and film with the ghost? I think you can!

Last edited:
no, but player 2 can record player 1.

wiring has some delay issues in multiplayer Ive heard, but hopefully your mechanism is simple enough for that not to matter.

Of course you want to stop player 2 from being harmed too (without putting him in an invulnerability machine). Wonder if you can kill a hardcore character and film with the ghost? I think you can!

Almost what I had in mind! :D (I was thinking along the lines of godmode with TShock but your idea seems better.)
There might be some small issues in multiplayer with the teleporters. (I usually play in multiplayer, hoiks got no troubles whatsoever it seems. Only teleporters+pressure plates are annoying, you can run over them without activating them/them getting activated too late if you are quick enough. Though, seeing as how you have a ton of pressure plates, this issue shouldn't be a problem. Wow, there is a lot of stuff in the brackets!)

Hmm, interesting ideas. This should be doable on 2 machines if I go offline so that I don't get booted when I open Terraria on both machines. I tested the set-up in multiplayer and there's a slight issue with the topmost hoik teeth, but a little adjustment would fix the issue.

Before I try this approach, I'll probably just film in single-player and just bite the bullet for one video (I'll speed up the progress through the event so that I can get to morning and show the loot selling). I'll check if gameiki works even though it hasn't been updated. Ultimately, it would be great if we had just a single mod for free cam mode - makes sense if we wish to record a player using hoiks extensively and not give the viewer seizures :).

How difficult do you think it would be to create such a mod? Maybe we should make a request in the modding community?
[DOUBLEPOST=1441658828,1441564387][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT: Stunning discovery - video editors have a stabilization feature, and it totally works to minimize the vertical shaking! We're in business without needing mods or multiplayer :).

Falling Damage > Mount Damage and Dash damage. (Although it is mobs that are attacked, it grants the player immunity) > melee damage > lava damage > smashing-a-pre-hardmode-demon-altar damage > projectile damage

Somewhat resurrecting a successfully tested idea, would sand (and the like) be considered a projectile in this priority list?

Somewhat resurrecting a successfully tested idea, would sand (and the like) be considered a projectile in this priority list?
"Note:
1. If the hurting tiles haven't been deprived of general immunity, they should be after melee damage."
And, if you mean sand falling down, that is a projectile. (terraria.wiki.gg/Projectile_IDs)

Did anyone find a solution for console?
Ill be testing next time i play.

The invulnerability window should work on a console as well.
Try to stay in the middle of multiple enemies, if only one of them can hit you at a time, congrats, invulnerability does work! (And, all/most of those PC set ups should work as well)

The invulnerability window should work on a console as well.
Try to stay in the middle of multiple enemies, if only one of them can hit you at a time, congrats, invulnerability does work! (And, all/most of those PC set ups should work as well)
Sorry, guess my quesrion is: did anyone find a solution on console to the hook fall damage doing more than 1dmg when armor is >= 25

Back
Top Bottom