Question [QUESTION(S)] Wiring Noob Looking for some answers.

Rokanza

Terrarian
Hey everyone. First post here on the forums so I apologize if I mess anything up, or explain things poorly.

I started playing again 2 weeks ago, and finally reached end game with a few friends. I started messing with wires just to see what I could come up with. Though they were extremely simple, I took a liking to this part of the game. I started researching logic gates and messing with stuff, and my friends were intrigued by what I was coming up with, and then challenging me to do more.

Which brings me to my current issue. The door to our house.

As I started wiring, I just put a pressure plate on each side and connected them to each other through the door. No problems right?
However, every so often there would be a moment where 2 of us are approaching either side of the door simultaneously. So when we get to it, one of us opens the door, the other closes it, and we both hit the wall. On a few occasions we both ran backwards to open the door for each other, which only caused it to open and close AGAIN! :(

I've spent probably close to 4 hours trying to figure out how to make the door work so when one person approaches it from either side, it will remain open until the last person is through it, followed by it closing behind us. We also have a wall of stone with actuators that turn off and on by the pressure plates if anyone wants to go above and beyond.

Sorry for the long rant. I just see these beautifully wired masterpieces, and I'm here struggling to make a door respond appropriately. If someone has a solution for me possibly with a step by step guide, I'd be more than grateful. I understand all the logic gates, and I feel like this project needs them, but once I try using more than 1 gate at a time my brain goes into sleep mode.

Use a player above sensor under your door, I tested it, if one player enter the zone, the door opens (normal) but if another try to enter (same for 3 4 5) the sensor will not send another message, so the door will stay open.
Right below the door?

Hello! The problem with pressure plates is that you need one on each side. This causes the silly effect of both people activating it. Each use of a pressure plate sends a single output which will usually open and lock your door or actuated wall at the same time.

Introducing the Logic Sensor (Player)! This sensor will activate only once and a second player entering the area of effect will cause absolutely nothing to happen! There are many ways to use it. However, activation guarantees two output signals. The moment you enter activation area, it will send a single output signal. When you leave, even by teleportation, it will send another output signal. This is useful in that you only need one for the most basic door.

No Wire

BU7gX4I.png

Wire

QwUePWj.png

Next, you can also extend the range of the activation sensors in case of any latency on servers so you don't slam into the door for a short moment before it opens for you. Here is an example of extending the range. The two sensors are wired to two lamps, one each, connected to a Logic Gate (OR).

No Wire

LMfpAzo.png

Wire

AWlfMTA.png

That's about it. If you need any more help, feel free to ask! If I'm not available, most if not all T-MEC members would be glad to help you. One more curious and adventurous person into the wonderful world of wiring would be fantastic!

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate it. The wiki for the Sensors confused me so I didn't even consider that as an option. So now I have even more ideas flowing in with the addition of Sensors at my disposal! lol. I'm sure it'll be a while before I can answer other people's questions, but if my friends continue playing together, I'm sure I'll be posting more.

In the same manner, if you're so keen on using the pressure plates, then you could just wire both of them to the OR logic gate (2 inputs) and have a similar result. The pros of having a sensor is that you just are in the area and the door opens, whether the pressure plate requires you to stand on them.

In the same manner, if you're so keen on using the pressure plates, then you could just wire both of them to the OR logic gate (2 inputs) and have a similar result. The pros of having a sensor is that you just are in the area and the door opens, whether the pressure plate requires you to stand on them.
No, the problem with pressure plates is that a second player standing on the first pressure plate will kill that output completely whereas player sensors don't care if there's a second player and the output is maintained.

No, the problem with pressure plates is that a second player standing on the first pressure plate will kill that output completely whereas player sensors don't care if there's a second player and the output is maintained.
I mentioned pressure plates linked to an OR logic gate. This means that each pressure plate would activate one input, but at least one (can be more) is required for turning on the output -> switching the door.

I mentioned pressure plates linked to an OR logic gate. This means that each pressure plate would activate one input, but at least one (can be more) is required for turning on the output -> switching the door.
No, what I meant is when there's two people on one side running to the door. The first one to teach would activate the lamp on the OR gate. This is fine.
The problem is the second person will activate it again.
This problem is not in the player sensor as it activates once when the first player enters and only activates again when the last player leaves.

Pressure plates are flawed and weren't really meant for this, just use player sensors. They look better too since you can hide them deep in the ground as opposed to two pads on the floor.

No, what I meant is when there's two people on one side running to the door. The first one to teach would activate the lamp on the OR gate. This is fine.
The problem is the second person will activate it again.
This problem is not in the player sensor as it activates once when the first player enters and only activates again when the last player leaves.

Pressure plates are flawed and weren't really meant for this, just use player sensors. They look better too since you can hide them deep in the ground as opposed to two pads on the floor.
I don't really understand where you're going with that...

If left pressure plate activates input #1 and right pressure plate activates input #2, how can they make another activation? Switching between having only #1 active, both inputs active to #2 only active wouldn't change the state of the OR gate.

Two seperate pressure plates, two seperates lamps, one output.

Seriously dude, I'm talking about the same damn pressure plate. I made the damn thing and tested it, pressure plates don't work. If you read properly you notice I said "what I meant is when there's two people on one side running to the door". This means there are two people on the same side, not one on each side, running to the same pressure plate.

One person activates it, the door opens because one lamp is open and this activated the OR gate. Now that second person slams the same pressure plate again and the lamp goes off. The logic gate stops working entirely and the system breaks.

Yeah, no problems. Just blame pressure plates for being unreliable. They weren't really meant for so many activations. They do still work great as skeleton engines though, teal pads are great for sequential activation and cyan pads are basically one block player sensors.

Back
Top Bottom