PC 1.3.2 Changelog

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the conditions required to throw a party? Is the Wiki updated yet?
You mean for the player, or NPCs?
For the player, you just buy a "party center" from the party girl and right-click it. If you mean for NPCs I don't think we've figured that out yet. But The one screenshot someone posted suggest that beating a boss might be something that triggers it. Seems reasonable anyway.

ezimba14638723551100.png

So, uh, does this mean that multiplayer servers are going to have MORE lag? Or does this mean they're going to have LESS lag.
I don't quite know what this means. Someone elaborate or something

Hey, what a surprise. Nice. :)
"Trees now grow with a “poof!” even when visible on a player’s screen" I love this the most!

ezimba14638723551100.png

So, uh, does this mean that multiplayer servers are going to have MORE lag? Or does this mean they're going to have LESS lag.
I don't quite know what this means. Someone elaborate or something
Less. :) The game needs to do less synchronizing now, aka less network traffic.

If anyone wants to look at them:
-
IMG_20160720_194343.jpg

-
IMG_20160720_194306.jpg

-
IMG_20160720_194327.jpg

-
IMG_20160720_194343.jpg IMG_20160720_194306.jpg IMG_20160720_194327.jpg
-
I still don't know how to get them, wouldn't it be cool if they drop out of expert pre-hardmode treasure bags?

Personally I think the nerf was too extreme, they do 1-5 damage to me now whereas they used to do around 40-50.

I liked them because they made it so you had to pay more attention while going around the Jungle, no nerf was necessary IMO, the bees only attacked me when I spammed Holy Arrows everywhere.

I'd say the Moss Hornets with their practically invisible stingers were more of an issue.

Hey, what a surprise. Nice. :)
"Trees now grow with a “poof!” even when visible on a player’s screen" I love this the most!

Less. :) The game needs to do less synchronizing now, aka less network traffic.

Or, a more thorough explanation:

What is meant by "player synchronization calls", is this:

1). Player's computer tells the server "I am at x,y location moving in z direction at m speed and doing t action."
2). Server goes "OK." and sends this data to everybody else on the server.

Now, the more often you do this, the more bandwidth it will take up. Let's say you do this 1,000 times per second. This is obviously overkill as there's no reason you would ever need to update your position, speed and current action 1000 times per second.

The Terraria devs looked at this and said "Hey, you know, it doesn't need to be this high." And so they reduced it. This means your computer is sending less data to the server, and the server is sending less data to the users.

On small servers where you only have 2 people, you will see a very small difference. However, if you have a server with 10 players, the difference will be noticed 10x. That's why Cenx said that "large servers will notice it". This isn't to say that it won't affect small servers, it's just that the effect is too small to really notice. There IS an effect, though.

Well, and that's is bad thing. I suggested back then on "suggestion forum", before 1.3, to add in the game block destruction by special enemies, on expert. Which will make defense of base more funny. But back then i got no answer. So i guess, by any chance, are something like base destruction feature is possible in near future?
They attempted this with the Clown in 1.1's Hard Mode. (And by proxy the spitting Eaters). Suffice to say there was backlash in the long-run and mob-induced block destruction was removed in later versions. (By 1.2 at the latest, I think.)

From a gameplay perspective, it's not a bad idea. However, some players don't play the game as an action/platform adventuring Metroidvania game. They play it as a creative game. Can imagine building this awesome creation you want to show off to an audience and then suddenly, while building or just after you're done, some random mob just spawns and starts blowing up part of it? This was part of the reason the Clown's bombs no longer damages blocks. Terraria doesn't have a mob-free Sandbox Creation mode, so players have to deal with mobs in some manners. Artistic players don't necessarily want to bother with mobs. (I myself have honestly ignored mobs while in the middle of construction unless they literally are getting in my way.)

Besides, I think the devs want it so the players have full control over a world in the long run save for a handful of game events (i.e. Meteorites and Corruption/Crimson/Hallow spread). And even those have some control left to the player. Though a bit tedious, once in place, they're perpetually effective unless the PLAYER does something. The same can't be said of mobs affecting the world.

Disclosure: I hated the Clown's brick-busting bombs and the Eater's Corruption spreading spit. Both forced you to build countermeasures that weren't necessarily fun to do. (Both required 3-layer thick block arrangements to counter properly. It made countermeasure construction tedious.)

@Stahn Aileron : I remember the days of building ugly houses out of dungeon brick just to avoid the clowns blowing it up, and/or building the houses up in the air or a full screen length underground.

Now, I can build wherever and however I want with very little worry and all you need is a simple quarantine bowl tunnel around your base which is not hard to do at all (takes like 15-30 minutes with a molten pickaxe tops).

Now, the more often you do this, the more bandwidth it will take up. Let's say you do this 1,000 times per second. This is obviously overkill as there's no reason you would ever need to update your position, speed and current action 1000 times per second.

The Terraria devs looked at this and said "Hey, you know, it doesn't need to be this high." And so they reduced it. This means your computer is sending less data to the server, and the server is sending less data to the users.
Just guessing, but they may also have made it a little smarter about when it syncs. For instance if you're just standing there, it doesn't really need to do it at all. (Or maybe once every few seconds, just to let the server know you're still online.) If you're walking along, once per second might be reasonable. But if you're fighting, than you'd want it to updating your position a often as feasible.

Just guessing, but they may also have made it a little smarter about when it syncs. For instance if you're just standing there, it doesn't really need to do it at all. (Or maybe once every few seconds, just to let the server know you're still online.) If you're walking along, once per second might be reasonable. But if you're fighting, than you'd want it to updating your position a often as feasible.

That too I suppose.

Once per second would result in everyone appearing to be moving at a very stuttered pace. It would have to update every frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom