Texture Pack High Definition version of all textures up to Terraria 1.4.4.6

I personally think @ArmyFrog wouldn't like it as much. He does his sprites by hand, from what I've seen he doesn't accept sprites through filters.
[doublepost=1469142753,1469142686][/doublepost]

Wow, thanks man :)
No problem! I like HQX, but handmade sprites are superior, in terms of quality. However, it TAKES FOREVER afaik to make these sprites, especially when there are over 9K sprites as of 1.3.2

Lol no, i ment use a fliter then manually smooth it. The filters seem to do most of the work.
Ahh, that's interesting. I see quite a few issues with his texture pack, I'm compiling a list of issues currently. It's LONG. I really hope you guys can finish your amazing texture packs in the future! I love Terraria, but the aesthetic is not too pleasing on the eye.

Honestly i dont see why they can't make everything use the lost pixels from their doubling. Then the textures would look better.

My theory is that Terraria guys wanted to create HD sprites when they started developing the game, but then they realized it is really time consuming to create hundreds and thousands of HD textures. So they lowered the quality to speed up the design work, but kept the door open for themselves to turn the textures into HD if they wanted that in the future.

Oh you used a filter. Bleh, that explains the quality. You could however mix it and improve the results.
Yes, this texture pack is created by a filter, as it is explained in OP. As many others, I also started enhancing the textures by hand, but it took me about half hour to turn a small item into HD. The walls and backgrounds took several hours per image. There were thousands of images, so I did the math and realized that I'll never finish. That's why I used algorithmic enhancement: the computer can do the hard work much faster than me.

My theory is that Terraria guys wanted to create HD sprites when they started developing the game, but then they realized it is really time consuming to create hundreds and thousands of HD textures. So they lowered the quality to speed up the design work, but kept the door open for themselves to turn the textures into HD if they wanted that in the future.

Yes, this texture pack is created by a filter, as it is explained in OP. As many others, I also started enhancing the textures by hand, but it took me about half hour to turn a small item into HD. The walls and backgrounds took several hours per image. There were thousands of images, so I did the math and realized that I'll never finish. That's why I used algorithmic enhancement: the computer can do the hard work much faster than me.
On the contrary, for a lot of sprite artists like @ArmyFrog and I, I can get through items in about 2 mins, although Tiles are a pain :(

That's an interesting theory! Another theory, however, is that retro style games are so damn popular atm, so that might explain it.

That's an interesting theory! Another theory, however, is that retro style games are so damn popular atm, so that might explain it.
Yes, it is my theory only. I think if they just wanted to create a retro style game, they wouldn't bother using 2x2 pixels, since there would be no point doing that.

Can I say something? @Zanderstorm made a very good point here
On the contrary, for a lot of sprite artists like @ArmyFrog and I, I can get through items in about 2 mins, although Tiles are a pain :(
I can get through a tile Sprite sheet in no more than three hours, an item between 30 seconds to 5 minutes, an armor Sprite sheet in about 10 minutes, walls in two hours, and achievements in slightly under an hour. Now, I don't mean to brag, however I think this is important to be said: I can Sprite ridiculously fast four three main reasons. I have been for almost five years, my metabolism is uniquely high, meaning that my hands move quickly, and finally, I love what I do. I have done some rough math and my estimated time of completion will be next year.
Lol no, i ment use a fliter then manually smooth it. The filters seem to do most of the work.
Like I said, i am not going to use filters in my pack for two reasons. First off, my textures will turn out exactly the way I, and the spriters helping me out want them to. Two, it's something I'm proud of, in the same way, say, Hellmans mayonnaise is proud of using caged free eggs in their products. Like I said, I can Sprite quickly, and if it were up to me, there would be a new release every day, and I would finish in a quarter of a year. But this is something i want to enjoy working on, so I want to take my time. Using filters will not help
I actually noticed it on mobile while looking at tiles texture for a build I've been planning. I had to count the texture pixels and zoomed in to max and saw the edges of every pixel. Also you should talk to armyfrog cause if you and him decided to fuse your packs together these packs will both speed up. You both actually want the same thing, army has found how to improve the sprites yet keep them unchanged.
Zander and I are working on two different packs. He is using a more choppy, more angular style, while I am focusing on keeping things smooth. I want to work with Zander in the future, but in a different pack...
I hope I cleared a few thing up.

Can I say something? @Zanderstorm made a very good point here

I can get through a tile Sprite sheet in no more than three hours, an item between 30 seconds to 5 minutes, an armor Sprite sheet in about 10 minutes, walls in two hours, and achievements in slightly under an hour. Now, I don't mean to brag, however I think this is important to be said: I can Sprite ridiculously fast four three main reasons. I have been for almost five years, my metabolism is uniquely high, meaning that my hands move quickly, and finally, I love what I do. I have done some rough math and my estimated time of completion will be next year.

Like I said, i am not going to use filters in my pack for two reasons. First off, my textures will turn out exactly the way I, and the spriters helping me out want them to. Two, it's something I'm proud of, in the same way, say, Hellmans mayonnaise is proud of using caged free eggs in their products. Like I said, I can Sprite quickly, and if it were up to me, there would be a new release every day, and I would finish in a quarter of a year. But this is something i want to enjoy working on, so I want to take my time. Using filters will not help

Zander and I are working on two different packs. He is using a more choppy, more angular style, while I am focusing on keeping things smooth. I want to work with Zander in the future, but in a different pack...
I hope I cleared a few thing up.
Next Year? If your assumption is correct, I look forward to using your *hopefully* complete texture pack by then! I really like the aesthetic of your texture pack, and would only use the full pack, because random textures that look out of place is kind of weird.

I ment he should mix them for his, filters aren't smooth enough and some just look silly because of it. If he went and adjusted them he would improve them.
Tho do wonder what it would look like using these flitered eones edited with your guidelines. :p

Next Year? If your assumption is correct, I look forward to using your *hopefully* complete texture pack by then! I really like the aesthetic of your texture pack, and would only use the full pack, because random textures that look out of place is kind of weird.
Yet again, the math was very rough, and it may be sooner, but I can assure you that it won't be any later than January next year.
I ment he should mix them for his, filters aren't smooth enough and some just look silly because of it. If he went and adjusted them he would improve them.
Tho do wonder what it would look like using these flitered eones edited with your guidelines. :p
Ok, fair enough. Frankly, so do I.

Pending they don't add a major update by then lol
Well, there will be 1.3.3 at the very least. Maybe more after that, but its unknown.
[doublepost=1469224638,1469224591][/doublepost]
Yet again, the math was very rough, and it may be sooner, but I can assure you that it won't be any later than January next year.

Ok, fair enough. Frankly, so do I.
I look forward to the completion of your project, and Pixely Perfect as well! It will be awesome to use these texture packs interchangeably!

Thanks. I haven't played with Terraria in a while. Let me know if there are issues with my texture pack.

Back
Top Bottom