Items Wire Spool & Impressionable Paint

Would you like to see either of these in game?(Pick 2)

• I would like to have an item that stores wire for me to help save inventory space.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't think we need an item that can store wire.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I would love this new type of paint.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't think we need more paint types in the game.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CreativeBrain10

Spazmatism
A friend of mine and I were having a discussion about what we would like to see in the game and we were doing some wiring at the time so of course we ended up on the topic of inventory space while wiring. Now what we had first talked about was an item similar to the bottomless musket pouch or endless quiver but as I myself do video game designing(not much im still learning) I mentioned that it would be harder to code since you devs would have to give wire spawned from the item a tag that tells it not to drop which would make it more difficult so I suggested an item that instead of just being infinite wire it could store an infinite amount of wire or if that is still too much it would have a set limit to how much it could store like maybe a full chest of wire. Now I was thinking the way you could put wire into it was it would just grab wire out of your inventory and store it then when you went to use a wrench, multi wrench or grand design it would take wire out of it equal to the amount you place this would also work for crafting as it would detect the item in your inventory then check to see if you have wire in it and if so it would take wire equal to the amount needed. This item would be able to go in an ammunition slot as well. I had also thought it would look like one of those huge cable spools you see cable companies use and would of course be called the wire spool.

Another idea my friend and I had was some sort of paint that initially did nothing but when you use the item on a block it would turn into a paint that when used with a paintbrush on whatever it is you need to paint would make the block either have the same pattern as the block you clicked with the paint or would look like that block. Now this paint would only be able to copy certain blocks and only be able to impressionate on certain blocks this way players couldn't say use a lot of the paint on say a luminite brick block and use the paint on dirt and it would mostly be for wiring and secret doors and entrances.

I don't do much wiring, but if I did, I don't think I would mind going back to my base everyone once in a while to get more wire, especially since I only fill up my hotbar plus a couple slots here and there, and I think wire stacks up to 999, so I wouldn't run out of wire anytime soon.
I don't quite see a reason for the paint. You said it was for secret entrances, but people can't see actuators unless they are holding a wiring item, so the paint seems useless. I don't see a reason for any limits on it either. So what if someone paints a bunch of dirt like Luminite?
Overall, no support.

I don't do much wiring, but if I did, I don't think I would mind going back to my base everyone once in a while to get more wire, especially since I only fill up my hotbar plus a couple slots here and there, and I think wire stacks up to 999, so I wouldn't run out of wire anytime soon.
I don't quite see a reason for the paint. You said it was for secret entrances, but people can't see actuators unless they are holding a wiring item, so the paint seems useless. I don't see a reason for any limits on it either. So what if someone paints a bunch of dirt like Luminite?
Overall, no support.

Now I can get that you don't do much wiring but personally I do a decent amount of wiring hence why I suggested the item in the first place plus I thought it would be a cool thing to have even if nobody used it. I also suggested the wire spool for those who normally on large worlds such as myself and would prefer to not have to travel all the way back to their house on the other side of the map and loose where they were just to pick up some more wiring because they couldn't store enough in their inventory.

Also about that whole players can't see actuators unless they are holding a wiring item there's three things wrong with that and how you interpreted this;
1) Now that we have the grand design we have the option to ALWAYS see wires even without holding the item
2) The way you interpreted the whole secret entrance thing either I didn't word it properly or you don't know how to interpret things correctly but I mean you could use it to paint over the activation device so that way the player could put it in the floor and paint it like the floor.
3) I wanted it to be restricted so there wouldn't be players that take the lazy route with their cosmetics as grabbing the resources to build your structure is pretty essential in survival games such as this as it add the element of actually surviving rather than playing with unlimited resources.

Also you could have just you know voted on the poll instead of typing this all out but I am kinda glad you did type this out so I could clear up those little bits of things you interpreted incorrectly or didn't quite think of.

Last edited:
I suppose you are right on the wiring, I didn't think about losing your place. Although, you could just get to a point where you can remember where you stopped, like a cave entrance or something. However, Wire stacks up to 999 per inventory slot. A large Terraria world on PC is 8400 blocks by 2400 blocks. The inventory and hotbar combined total 50 spaces. Lets say you have the hotbar and 10 other spaces filled with weapons, potions, etc. That means you have 30 inventory slots left. If you fill up every slot with wire, you get 30 * 999 = 29970 wire. That's enough to go around the a large map horizontally a bit more than 3 times. If you were really serious about wiring a teleporter across the world or something, you would have more than enough Wire to do that. Just letting you know.

By 'activation device', do you mean like a lever or pressure plate? I guess that could work, making a pressure plate look like the floor, but players could still see the outline of it and would be able to detect it. Unless it made the plate look like a block completely, and not just change its color. And you currently can't paint actuators or wire.

If the whole point of the paint is to make things look better (make levers blend in with the wall, etc.), what's wrong with painting a block like something else? What if someone want to make their house look better? Isn't that the whole point of the paint? And they would have to get the block first to paint something like it. For example, its not like someone could spawn and make their house look like Luminite right away. They would have to kill Moon Lord to get Luminite first, then paint their house. And by then, they would have Luminite to build with anyway. True, getting resources to build a shelter is essential, but a dirt hovel protects you just as well as a castle. And its not like painting wood like obsidian will make it harder to mine or something. It just makes it look different. I still don't see a reason for restrictions.

I seem to remember voting, but I guess I clicked on something else. Hmm.

You frequently say I don't interpret things correctly, and I'm sure part of that is me, but part of it is you. Putting some commas in and breaking up your sentences would make them much easier to read and understand.

Still, no support.

Back
Top Bottom