tModLoader The Thorium Mod

Please, by all means, upload me a video of a 100% No-Damage playthrough.
look up ningishu, shes doing a expert summoner playthrough right now, and did a expert magic one some time ago, these are as close as you can get to no damage.

EDIT: to further prove it, she beat duke fishron, pre mech bosses, with next to no damage taken (i think she may have gotten hit once only, but maybe not).

So, in order to try to change the subject, umm... Could you imagine if there were more bricks in this mod? Like icy shard making bricks, or sandstone bars, or that sorta thing.
Icy Bricks? We have Ice Bricks, their colour wa schanged in 1.3.1. or 1.3.2., they now match more Ice furniture than before. And Sandstone Bars? We have Sandstone Ingot in mod, and they aren't building material if I know correctly, Sandstone Slab is maybe that what are you looking for (vanila item). I had idea about combining Thorium and Sandstone Slab to make tech like building material (inspired by Starbound) but I not so sure if it is possible how I want it look like and act like by making sprite of it.

Icy Bricks? We have Ice Bricks, their colour wa schanged in 1.3.1. or 1.3.2., they now match more Ice furniture than before. And Sandstone Bars? We have Sandstone Ingot in mod, and they aren't building material if I know correctly, Sandstone Slab is maybe that what are you looking for (vanila item). I had idea about combining Thorium and Sandstone Slab to make tech like building material (inspired by Starbound) but I not so sure if it is possible how I want it look like and act like by making sprite of it.
No, I'm talking about the items in the mod, like icy shards and sandstone bars, imagining if they made a brick.

It's less a question of sandstone armour's value, and more of a question of an overabundance of basic weapons and tools that don't really do a lot. I've mentioned this before, but the big ones for early game at least are sandstone tools/weapons, and icy armour. Especially if you're going to go into mobility, and avoiding damage being the optimal way to play, which it is, icy armour is really just not good at all, which is why I've mentioned in the past that it's set bonus as it is doesn't save it. The rest of the icy equipment has varying degrees of usefulness, with the axe being better than the sword from what I recall of testing them, but they're at least decent enough to make them worth going for at the start, especially if you are going for a limited weapon type playthrough, seeing as it can be the source of a craftable boomerang, spear, flail, and gun.

I can't comment on ocean equipment outside of the summon and armour, since it's a very early craftable summon, it has use in a summon only run obviously. The armour is decent enough, though the set bonus is rendered somewhat redundant by a general lack of need for it's effects, the fact that other forms of mobility still work underwater anyway(sandstone, for example), and the fact that you'll likely find flippers at the very least when you reach the ocean anyway.

All I'm saying is, this isn't an agree to disagree situation. Especially if with the final update that also means the final balance pass. The mod is good, and provides a lot of content, but while I would not advise making it overpowered on purpose, at the very least making sure it isn't underpowered is a good idea. If you want another simple example, how about that detached ufo blaster? Last time I tried using that thing, it struck me as just being a worse Space Gun, especially given the set bonus of Meteor Armour.

Conversely, most players aren't blessed with Yrimir levels of skill. They're not going to dodge every attack, and you can't just completely forego defence with no consequences.

I got a bit too heated yesterday, but I just want to point out that this was actually meant, very subtly, to be a joke...at the expense of people saying dodging alone is the end-all-be-all, I admit. Everyone "knows" that Yrimir is an awesome player who can kill any boss with any weapon and never takes damage. It's kind of a myth though, a good player's reputation blown up to mythical proportions. If you've ever watched one of Yrimir's videos, you know that (she?) actually does get hit, and dies - a lot, even - and takes many, many attempts and a lot of practice, using every trick and pro strategy imaginable to pull off those awesome victories. Which was kind of my actual point. Even the best player most of us has heard of regularly gets their butt kicked using weak gear, and they can pull off things a lot of players would never even dream of attempting.

Sure, stats can only get you so far, but the same is true for skill...and here's the thing, in game design terms, you should usually think of it as "equipment is optional, gameplay is not". Or, in other words, make the fights as challenging as you need them to be for where you expect them to take place, and maybe a little harder than that to account for underestimating player ability. Equipment, however, should err on the side of the player. Stronger is better than weaker, because a player who wants a challenge can always choose not to use it, but a player who isn't having fun and hits a skill roadblock can only "choose" to be stronger if there is good equipment to gear up with. Otherwise, it's just a race to see if they surmount the learning curve before their patience gives out...which may work for certain types, but is generally considered Not Fun Gameplay.

No, I'm talking about the items in the mod, like icy shards and sandstone bars, imagining if they made a brick.
To be honest I dissagree, they shouldn't make any brick or block when placed when Ice Shards or Sandstone Ingots are placed. I already said points, it will be weird because of the names and existing vanila block that exist (Ice Block and Ice Brick).
If you are thinking that they should be placeable like other bars, than I can do something, but it nope.

On a similar note, it's a little weird to me that Yew Wood needs to be turned into planks before it can be placed (and it also sucks that it only makes recoloured walls). I guess the idea is that, because of the exchange, it makes them easier to farm for builds, and I get the consistency, but it's super inconvenient and no other wood works like that. I think it would work a lot better if, say, it had a value and was sold by the Druid (who could use a few more items anyway) once the Goblin Army has been defeated once. (Another thing I'd like to see on the Druid is selling Hive blocks -yes, requiring them to have a value - and possibly Bottled Honey, once the Queen Bee is defeated - allowing both more access to these supplies, and making Abeemonations a renewable resource.)

To be honest I dissagree, they shouldn't make any brick or block when placed when Ice Shards or Sandstone Ingots are placed. I already said points, it will be weird because of the names and existing vanila block that exist (Ice Block and Ice Brick).
If you are thinking that they should be placeable like other bars, than I can do something, but it nope.
I wasn't saying necessarily those specific ones, I more used them as an example. Also, I didn't necessarily say to add them, but imagine them - Which might be a bit weird, but still. I just sorta wish there was more building blocks, I guess.

20160907191826_1.jpg

Druid pls, that room was reserved for the Witch Doctor.
(Jk I had like 6 rooms available.)

Also I found a nice spot for grinding 5 different items, 3 from thorium. (Granite Energy Cores, Bronze Alloy Fragments, Petals, Jungle Spores and Stingers all in one grinding spot!)

20160907195500_1.jpg

(I also forgot to minimize Cheat Sheet after setting spawns to 3x, I set spawns to 3x for a bigger challenge.)

So what happens if you use the gas vials in mutiplayer? Just curious.

Also I dunno if this is just an oversight, but when you convert dragon breath to cursed dragon breaths, you only get one back instead of 25. So 25 breaths and 3 cursed flames get you one cursed breath which is a really bad trade.

Last edited:
If you haven't been catching up on our updates...

Progress Update #5 8 September 2016

Overall Wiki Completion Status: 50% (That's a lot!)
Page of the week: https://thoriummod.gamepedia.com/NPC
Landing Page Progress:
  • 100%:
  • NPC, Enemy, Master Template Characters(that navbox at the bottom of the page)
  • Bosses (80%)
Individual Page Progress:
  • 100%:
  • All tools, The Grand Thunder Bird, The Queen Jellyfish and The Star Scouter
  • Weapons are at around 30%!
Other comments:
Wiki progress has been great lately, thanks to the efforts of EveryoneWasDragged on the wiki. The wiki is definitely 50% functional now, where one is able to find almost every commonly questioned item of mechanic on the wiki. Glad we have come so far!

Make sure you check out the updated style guide!

P.S If you google "Thorium Mod Wiki", we're the first result! :D

Can I see the Code of the Banner, if not then that's ok :) why??? Because I want to support this mod and the others mods as well

@DivermanSam It looks like on multiplayer, hitting an enemy with Bellerose is causing the wielder to get Broken Armour...for 50 minutes.
As its been well noted, I believe in multiplayer, buff Ids are overlapping... The Bellarose isn't the only buff giving item that triggers an additional, random buff. Currently, I'm unaware of a fix, but constantly looking for one or even the absolute true cause to that issue. :(

As its been well noted, I believe in multiplayer, buff Ids are overlapping... The Bellarose isn't the only buff giving item that triggers an additional, random buff. Currently, I'm unaware of a fix, but constantly looking for one or even the absolute true cause to that issue. :(
I still don't quite understand why the thorium mod is ending. If it's because of the mod is too big then won't tmodloader grow to support it

Back
Top Bottom