PC 1.3.3 Changelog

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Leinfors Why don't you guys think about adding a simple Launcher to the Game where you can switch the :red:ing versions if you want instead of forcing the players to play the newest version. It's a quality of life thing, and honestly you guys are actually supporting it without a launcher with a version switcher that there are so many pirated clients of older versions on the internet.
That will completely break Multiplayer, among other things.

Not really. If they do the right thing, it could work. For the multiplayer, maybe, but just the possibility to go back is enough for me.
To be honest, it would be awesome to be able to play the old versions again. Pirating the old versions doesn't really bother me, except for the potential for viruses. To have that built into some kind of launcher would be AMAZING! Maybe for the last update for Terraria?

thanks for update.
eOcC1jd.png

it's stuck
Try to restart steam.

For some reason my terraria still hasn't updated to 1.3.3.1. Is there a fix for this?
Maybe starting Terraria may force the download ?

@Leinfors Why don't you guys think about adding a simple Launcher to the Game where you can switch the :red:ing versions if you want instead of forcing the players to play the newest version. It's a quality of life thing, and honestly you guys are actually supporting it without a launcher with a version switcher that there are so many pirated clients of older versions on the internet.
That will just be awesome ! I would loooooove to go back in the past of Terraria. So many memory.

Not really. If they do the right thing, it could work. For the multiplayer, maybe, but just the possibility to go back is enough for me.

To be honest, it would be awesome to be able to play the old versions again. Pirating the old versions doesn't really bother me, except for the potential for viruses. To have that built into some kind of launcher would be AMAZING! Maybe for the last update for Terraria?
You just talking way better than me. That exactly my feeling, if it not even more than amazing =D

PS : I just merged all my post.

You just talking way better than me. That exactly my feeling, if it not even more than amazing =D
I bet many Terrarians have missed out on some of the great older updates of the game, such as anything pre-1.1, 1.1 itself, and even 1.2. I started in 1.1, but it would be great to play those versions again. It would also be cool if they could add mod support to the launcher so we could play some of the great 1.1 mods, such as necro, avalon, omnir's mod pack, and all of the great texture packs as well!

Alright, so a couple of issues with reversion to previous versions:
  1. First of all, like I said, the multiplayer issue. If clients are not in sync with a server, they can't play on it. Maybe worth it to some people, but to others it would just appear to be regular bugs, and would sow confusion among their ranks.
  2. Secondly, saves. The game would have to be able to distinguish between save files of different version (for instance the 1.2 version wouldn't recognise 1.3 stuff) and prevent them from being accessed on previous versions. However, older files can be used on newer versions (excluding some potential, very niché cases), so if you one day mess up and access a 'nostalgia' file on a contemporary version, it's permanently 'corrupted' to a new version and can't be downgraded.
  3. Thirdly, image files. Many sprites have been reworked over the course of five years, it's impossible to revert those unless the game would add those to the content files (which, even if they were still all localisable after five years, would bloat up Terraria's storage space, which admittedly isn't much but still worth considering) and implemented logic for every updated item, tile, NPC, background and so on to replace the sprite by its older version. Which is a lot of work.
  4. Fourthly, and this is the big one, this would only be a safe thing to do if the architecture of Terraria hasn't changed at all since launch and all the team ever did was adding content to a list. Which, if you enquire any of the programmers about that, I trust they would laugh very hard and just flatly say "No". Not only has the engine been changed (immensely) just to accommodate new content, it also has been updated and optimised to make it, among other things, more stable. Allowing you to degrade the engine, if that would be even possible, would literally destabilise the game. Which is a huge commitment to make for nostalgia's sake.
  5. Fifth, and this is not a technical reason, but just from a development point of view, why? Why would you spend resources (a huge amount, at that, while the current Terraria team only has one programmer, who is incredibly good but is also already putting a lot more hours in this game than we could humanely ask him to) that could be allocated to improving the game on letting players 'undo' the improvements you've made over the last five years? To me, it makes little sense. To Re-Logic, I assume, it doesn't either.
I'm not a spokesperson for Re-Logic, it's very possible that one of the devs will contradict me in a future post and say they'll do it. But I strongly, strongly doubt it will happen.

This isn't going to happen, for a number of reasons. Major reason number one - Steam won't support it, for any game that I'm aware of.
GOG supports manual rollback for a limited number of versions.

There are pirated versions of almost any game imaginable out there. Having an option like this - even if feasible - would do absolutely nothing to stop that. If you want to pirate an older version, that's completely your decision, just keep that to yourself while on this forum, please.

The topic of this thread is the current version/hotfix, let's get back to that, please. Thanks.

I know I have given you guys a lot of crap in the past, and not all of it has been earned or deserved. (A lot of it has though :p)

However, I have also got to hand it to you guys. When you do screw up, you move fast to fix it. It wasn't even 24 hours from "oops" to "here's a patch". Not too many other companies can brag about that kind of turnaround time! So thank you for your tireless efforts in providing support for a game that by all rights you could have dropped a long time ago and told us "sorry, that's it, wait for our other games". :D
[doublepost=1473632829,1473632625][/doublepost]
Can you give us an estimate on when we'll get update 1.3.3.7?
I feel this should be the very last update Terraria gets, because of course. xD

I know I have given you guys a lot of crap in the past, and not all of it has been earned or deserved. (A lot of it has though :p)

However, I have also got to hand it to you guys. When you do screw up, you move fast to fix it. It wasn't even 24 hours from "oops" to "here's a patch". Not too many other companies can brag about that kind of turnaround time! So thank you for your tireless efforts in providing support for a game that by all rights you could have dropped a long time ago and told us "sorry, that's it, wait for our other games". :D
[doublepost=1473632829,1473632625][/doublepost]
I feel this should be the very last update Terraria gets, because of course. xD

"Stuff" happens, but it's how you handle those situations that count. Clearly we would rather such things not occur in the first place, but such is game development. Glad we were able to hop right on it over the weekend and fix the biggest stuff (Yorai and our QA team and equally awesome - huge kudos to them all).

@Kazzymodus laid out some pretty good reasons as for why "pick a version" isn't as simple and practical as people think. Let's add to that the absolute mess that would be bug reporting and feedback/balance - re-reports of old and already fixed bugs, issues arising in one old version but not be others but when you fix that it cascades to others, etc. It becomes our small team essentially maintaining 10 codebases vs 1....and time spent there means it's not spent elsewhere.

I mean, perhaps the smarter folks (Yorai/Cenx) would disagree, but that whole idea sounds like the definition of "great concept, not in the least bit feasible).

It will be the best thing that could happen to multiplayer after backwards compatibility.

This isn't going to happen, for a number of reasons. Major reason number one - Steam won't support it, for any game that I'm aware of.
GOG supports manual rollback for a limited number of versions.

There are pirated versions of almost any game imaginable out there. Having an option like this - even if feasible - would do absolutely nothing to stop that. If you want to pirate an older version, that's completely your decision, just keep that to yourself while on this forum, please.

The topic of this thread is the current version/hotfix, let's get back to that, please. Thanks.

So I'm not allowed to throw in a Feature Request for future updates to give the players a better experience?

But seriously, just because steam doesn't support it "now" doesn't mean that this is impossible. Red and the management could easily talk to some of steams development and management team to work something out.

Some people just doesn't understand what the big guys are saying.

Terraria's team can't afford to shift their work into multiple builds. They currently have only one programmer, meaning time will be distributed among many builds and nothing will be done efficiently, heavily hampering the game's development.

As much as I agree with a Launcher to choose versions, it is a bit difficulty at this time to even consider it. I would think it would be better to see Terraria just get a stable clean update that might be rewritten for unity, rather than worry about it. Regardless, most games will dish out patches/updates all the time, you name the game, the obvious solution to this is: Backup the game.

MineCraft does this, but they themselves have a huge server to store all that information. Re-Logic may not at this time, nor have the resources. Wouldn't call this a priority.

It will be the best thing that could happen to multiplayer after backwards compatibility.

So I'm not allowed to throw in a Feature Request for future updates to give the players a better experience?

But seriously, just because steam doesn't support it "now" doesn't mean that this is impossible. Red and the management could easily talk to some of steams development and management team to work something out.

Doesn't sound like you understand how steamworks (Steam actually works), so you can't suggest something like that.

I am no longer able to host any sort of server on linux. "Host & Play" doesn't work for even my own system as of 1.3.3; connecting and getting world data was always instant in 1.3.2, but now is sluggish and hangs at "receiving world information".

When I tried this, I noticed the server process was running and using CPU, but would close on its own after a few minutes. Since I couldn't see what it was doing, I downloaded and ran the dedicated server. Everything loaded fine, up until the end:

Missing method ToPrime in assembly /home/snipe/Dedicated Server/Linux/System.Core.dll, type System.Collections.HashPrimeNumbers
Load failed!

Google only had one pertinent match for the error, which is a post nearly a year old: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/linux-server-wont-start-properly.35142/

This error was the first problem I ever encountered when selfhosting a Terraria server. I never got it to work on an Ubuntu 16 LTS with latest Mono and I found out that going from 4.0 to 4.2, Mono had removed some third party library which now shows up in that exception about prime numbers. I resurrected and extended the thread you mentioned with a complete, recent stack trace and some additional info and hope that this gets looked at.

That said, I can confirm, that nondescript's report got nothing to do with the "1.33 broke net code for Mac/Linux" stuff Skiphs apologized for (cc Tunnel King).

I have to agree that Sandstorms at the start of the game are completely unfair. With the huge spawn rates and the new Angry Tumbler enemy, it's very possible to get "stuck" in between two deserts until it ends up wearing off
You can always dig under the desert.

Its possible your config file was reset or deleted, which stores the data that determines whether you can select your world evil. This is very easily fixed by simply loading any hardmode world, which should re-activate the option to do so.

Its possible your config file was reset or deleted, which stores the data that determines whether you can select your world evil. This is very easily fixed by simply loading any hardmode world, which should re-activate the option to do so.
Ah, thank you. Clearly I had no clue how that worked. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom