tModLoader The Bonus Swords Mod - Coders & Spriters Required!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerPlaysTERR

Steampunker
Hello there, everybody! I am beginning a mod called the Bonus Swords mod, and, as you can tell, it will add a LOT of swords, made of every material you can think of. From Dirt to Luminite and celestial fragments, there are swords for everything!
The items are at the bottom of the post.

Team Members
@PlayerPlaysTERR - Thread Manager, spriter
@Ryan3aly3 - Spriter
@TheLinXx - Spriter

This is my second time making a mod, but first time making a big one. Please do be patient because weapons will not be introduced every day. Also, I have a vacation from August 1st to August 15th. From then, my spriters will sprite things, and my coders will code them. Once that's done, mod update!

Attachments

• DirtBlade.png
    DirtBlade.png
    789 bytes · Views: 201
  • DirtProjectile.png
    DirtProjectile.png
    396 bytes · Views: 173
  • StoneBoulder.png
    StoneBoulder.png
    222 bytes · Views: 169
  • MudBlade.png
    MudBlade.png
    816 bytes · Views: 184
  • SlimeBlade.png
    SlimeBlade.png
    774 bytes · Views: 185
  • MudProjectile.png
    MudProjectile.png
    480 bytes · Views: 143
  • SlimeProjectile.png
    SlimeProjectile.png
    465 bytes · Views: 161
  • StoneSword.png
    StoneSword.png
    804 bytes · Views: 157
Last edited:
ATTENTION: we are looking for spriters and modders messagePlayerPlaysTERR if you wanna join the team !!!

Last edited:
An intrestng mod (better than my delta mod) but maybe dont make a dirt sword. make a intresting sword like a water sword

Okay, I saw this and I was initially interested... however, I do have perhaps some fitting suggestions. The first would be to remove projectiles from the earlier weapons as it does make them rather strong (the first projectile sword you can ever get is the enchanted sword, to give you a rough idea.

The second idea would be to use some more materials that do make sense (sandstone, the iridesent (sp?) bricks made with ash from the underworld, ebonstone/crimstone, clay in a furnace etc) as components for weapons that are stronger than blades made of components that don't make too much sense (slime, dirt, mud etc).

My final suggestion (and this is the BIG suggestion that you should take most note of!) would be to use sprites that really show the DIFFERENCE in the materials. So far your sprites are just the same shape that's been emptied out of any texture and then had the material layer placed behind it and filled in... which... really shows in a negative way (it doesn't give the impression you put a lot of time into your sprites which may turn away other people who may normally be interested in such a concept). Say you're making a sword with stone, it should look rough, uneven and mis-shapen to represent that it was freshly chiselled into shape. A slime sword should look fluid, almost sloppy and drooped because it is made of gel, so more like a mis-shapen scimitar than a straight broadsword.

Okay, I saw this and I was initially interested... however, I do have perhaps some fitting suggestions. The first would be to remove projectiles from the earlier weapons as it does make them rather strong (the first projectile sword you can ever get is the enchanted sword, to give you a rough idea.

The second idea would be to use some more materials that do make sense (sandstone, the iridesent (sp?) bricks made with ash from the underworld, ebonstone/crimstone, clay in a furnace etc) as components for weapons that are stronger than blades made of components that don't make too much sense (slime, dirt, mud etc).

My final suggestion (and this is the BIG suggestion that you should take most note of!) would be to use sprites that really show the DIFFERENCE in the materials. So far your sprites are just the same shape that's been emptied out of any texture and then had the material layer placed behind it and filled in... which... really shows in a negative way (it doesn't give the impression you put a lot of time into your sprites which may turn away other people who may normally be interested in such a concept). Say you're making a sword with stone, it should look rough, uneven and mis-shapen to represent that it was freshly chiselled into shape. A slime sword should look fluid, almost sloppy and drooped because it is made of gel, so more like a mis-shapen scimitar than a straight broadsword.
Some people arent as good at spriting, maybe you should sprite for him.

Nice idea, but projectiles on basic weapons? Maybe on later games swords, but right from the start on every weapon? Don't make the game easy and boring.

Nice idea, but projectiles on basic weapons? Maybe on later games swords, but right from the start on every weapon? Don't make the game easy and boring.
Im okay with projectiles, but early game he can just make them do almost no damage and barely any knockback. That should balance it

Some people arent as good at spriting, maybe you should sprite for him.
Honestly, spriting should not be that hard. Find the default size for the weapon that you want based off of the terraria original weapons, find some example sprites that look within the range for inspiration and then try to draw and meld with the focus on the concept you want. There are practically MILLIONS of weapons floating around from all kinds of games that you can draw inspiration from. If you are bad at spriting, that's okay, you learn by observation and practice. There are things I'm not good at either, but that's why I gave my suggestion to the mod author to begin with, to help.

Now back onto the original topic... I agree that if you MUST have projectiles from the early weapons, they shouldn't be very useful at all, to reflect the fact they are early game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom