Additional Changes to Water, With Community Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safeman🌻

Community Manager
Staff member
Re-Logic
We recently spoiled some upcoming changes on how water will look and as always, your supportive and enthusiastic response is appreciated. Along with that, we received some great suggestions and feedback on how to improve the water visuals even more. With your help, @Skiphs made some additional changes. Check out the current, before, and after videos below, and let us know what you think! :)

divid.png

Current 1.3.3

New Version (before community feedback)

New Version with edits as requested by the community

divi.png

For another look at the same changes in an Underground setting, check out the spoilers below.

Last edited:
Love water. Love the way it works. Water is gonna be huuuge. It's a big deal. It moves around, the way it should and it's great! Wow, water. So good for the game, the community--everybody loves water. Just you wait, this water is gonna be GREAT. I have several waters in my employment, and let me say, they are great at what they do. I recommend water to everyone

Awesome work, the new changes are a lot more noticeable now, really helps add more impact when something hits the surface! I'm curious how the water looks (or will look) when it's flowing, too.

Looks great! Absolutely love the level polish going into the game, even 5 years after release. Keep up the great work!

Nice! I really like the new divergent waves, as opposed to the single lateral one.

If anything, maybe there could be a little water distortion where the water from waterfalls hits the water surface? I doubt that's technically possible, as they're two different layers, but consider Skiphs is an actual wizard, you never know...

Nice! I really like the new divergent waves, as opposed to the single lateral one.

If anything, maybe there could be a little water distortion where the water from waterfalls hits the water surface? I doubt that's technically possible, as they're two different layers, but consider Skiphs is an actual wizard, you never know...
Maybe instead of distortion, it could affect the direction water flows on the surface, with it flowing away from a waterfall that's falling in and flowing towards a waterfall that flows out. I imagine that's still pretty complicated, but it might work if different pools of water can flow in different directions.

This is actually something I tried out extensively, but unfortunately due to the smooth look of waterfalls and the generally calm water underground it just looked weird.

It's possible that some combination of ripples and splashes would make it look natural, but as of right now there's no effect for it.

You could make it so if the surface is hit with enough velocity, as regulated by surface area (larger object surfaces need less velocity, or just skip this calculation if it's too demanding), it creates a "proper splash", aka with the water first going down and then up and splashing upwards.
No need to be realistic about the way the water splashes into the air, as long as it's somewhat chaotic/random/effect-like.
So if a player object hits with x mph, splash. Otherwise, nothing. Or regulated, depending on how you wanna optimize it.

Similarly, players exiting water would pull up water in a broader but weaker effect, maybe even drip for a few steps and have wet footstep sounds. Grass could turn darker when close to water blocks, or a wet player steps on it, before drying up. But this is a bit demanding.

You could also cause slight surface ripples if something big below the water is moving very fast. Just use the preexisting stuff, nerf it, and trigger it if the object is close enough to the surface for the "underwater movement effects" to almost reach the surface. Attacks could boost this, and explosives could cause the entire surface to get tiny ripples like it does IRL. Kinda like the water glass in, I think a Jurassic Park scene?

Most of this stuff looks fantastic, but I stand by what I said on reddit last time: the trail of distortion behind the player while underwater looks extremely unnatural and out of place, and will mostly only serve to make underwater builds harder to look at.

The latest one looks kinda like jello to me, I think it would look better if the ripples lasted longer and were a bit slower, and maybe less jiggly, I guess?
Still awesome to see water moving now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom