NPCs & Enemies Adding life to liquids more creatures for fluids

More aquatic advasaries?

• yes I agree and like these suggestions(comment regarding any exceptions)

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No I don't like things actually living in fluids

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah we could use more liquid dwelling enemies just not like this

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other(post comment related to what)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dragrath

Duke Fishron
Inspired by a teaser on new fluid mechanics I want to bring to attention the emptyness of those fluids

As of now there is a pitiful amount of monsters native to aquatic biomes in the game
5 jellyfish(Blue Jellyfish,Pink Jellyfish(Ocean), Green Jellyfish,Blood Jelly(Crimson) Fungo Fish(Mushroom))
Squid(Ocean)
Sea Snail(Ocean)-Only habitat aquatic
Crab(ocean)-only habitat aquatic
Shark(Ocean)
Piranha
Angler Fish
Arapaima(Jungle)
Blood Feeder
Goldfish(Critter/corrupt/Crimson)

Meanwhile many biomes don't have any native aquatic foes at all outside of goldfish on blood moons

Croc AI
- This would be a new AI type.

These enemies "hide" similar to psychos just below the surface of the water. If a player gets too close(yet still above the surface) they would rapidly dash out at the player and pursue the player on land/water

Caiman-found in the jungle prehardmode lying in wait just below the surface of water (any name suggestions for hardmode equivalent?)

Nile Crocodile-(found in Desert waters during hardmode in addition to their stealth state they would have a color scheme matching the predominate sand color(sand/peral sand/ebonsand/crimsand)

Hell Croc-Large Crocodilian denizens of hell able to spawn in hardmode. With fearsome jaws and tough hellstone hide they would be quite formidable foes against the unwary. Able to drop hellstone making the resource finally renewable

Granite Gator- found in and near granite biomes and able to hide in both water and lava be afraid. can drop granite scales usable as vanity armor

Now In addition to crocs there are quite a few possibilities to enhance our diving experiences.

Hallowed Creatures

Chaotic Crystal Carp-Relatively common. Able to warp to another body of water to pursue the player for all intents and purposes they are an aquatic chaos elemental with more speed and damage(25% chance to inflict confusion in expert)-(underground hallow only ascetically based on chaos fish)-chance to drop Rod of Discord and chaos scales(substitutes for chaos fish in crafting)
(Underground Hallow)

Luminous squid-a watery foe able to emit a cloud of glowing ink that brightly obscures things and naturally it will confuse you. Also after releasing glowing "ink" they teleport. Drops Trifold Map.

Crimson aquatics (more buffs than anything new though I did add a miniboss to match the other two )
Blood Feeder-make actually somewhat threatening More HP defense and damage 50% chance to inflict bleeding debuff

Corruption aquatics(all hardmode)
-Soul drowner-an eater of souls variant particularly adapted to the water they have lashing tentacles that can pull unsuspecting players into the water

-Bonefang-Purple skeletal piranah's they spawn in great numbers and swarm akin to eaters but in the water.

In addition to common enemies for these biomes I suggest a aquatic miniboss of sorts that would drop a crafting material usable for mech tier gear as well as a potion substitute for the respective fish they are based on.
Each would be able to spawn in water of their respective underground cavern biomes as well as in an ocean that has been converted to their respective biome.
For the Hallow:
-Prismatic Angle fish-a rare but powerful crystalline fish that attacks the player by shooting reflecting rainbow lasers (ascetically based on prismite with inspiration from the archer fish)
drops-1-3(100%) crystal shards,
Prismic scales rare drop used to craft:
lifeforce potions(can be substituted for prismite)
Prismic Protractor: magic weapon fires semi lingering laser beams that reflect off surfaces until they hit an enemy or despawn

Dao of Wow:-Dow of Pow+Crystal Shards+Souls of sight + Prismic Scales=More crystalline light/dark flail that can shoot lasers and confuse on contact ( Look It is supposed to be a disco ball made of dark/light crystals)

Prismic Bow:- a bow crafted w/ souls of fright. fires rainbow arrows that split into separate colors on hitting an enemy. initial shot non piercing but reflected shots are piercing. can bounce off walls up to 4 times(bounces by primary count against secondary beams)

Crystal elemental staff:-summons a crystal elemental a slow moving but strong minion that attacks by both melee and shooting crystal fragments. More over they can teleport like chaos elementals. Their color would vary like crystal shards do(randomly) Made from Prismic scale+Soul of might+crystal shards+souls of light

Crystal Wings:- Prismic scale+10 crystal shards+souls of flight gives off some light at the cost of flight time (stats left out not sure if I should tier this pre or post mech)

-Metastasis-nasty eldritch tumor cells that create smaller mini cells that on contact with the player try and explode into an ichor filled mess(inflicts ichor always and has a chance to inflict weak on expert). luckily they can't leave the water without jumping and would have a max spawn count. replicas can only split up to twice. Very high base damage on explosions+Ichor makes them really dangerous(the split off mini cells can toss themselves out of the water like jellies turning into living landmines be warned!
Drops:
Ichor(100% main cell), malignant tissue( rare crafting mat)
Metaststatic Rifle- An upgrade over the Clockwork Assault Rifle, bullets fired by this have a three round burst with the chance to fire an additional fleshy shot with a small spread weapon has no knock back (Clockwork Assault Rifle+malignant tissue+souls of fright)

The Tumor-Mech tier Yo-yo has relatively low damage for the tier but has a chance to on contact spawn "tumors" on the foe that explode a short while later (requires souls of might too)

*Insert name here*-Spawns bouncy balls of flesh that spew out blood streams as well as occasional ichor while constantly spinning. Projectiles bounce of to five times with the fluid streams serving as the main damage source(one empty spell book+Malignant Tissue+Souls of Sight)

Malignant Staff-Summoner weapon: summons an eldritch cell mass that spawns mini suicidal cells which can inflict Ichor. Like the stardust dragon it becomes more powerful with each summon rather than adding a new one growing larger and gaining better odds of inflicting ichor along with much stronger and creates larger quantities of suicidal cancer cells. (Souls of fright+crimtane bars+Ichor+malignant tissue+souls of night)

Flesh wings-Malignant Tissue+20 souls of flight made of gross fleshy membranes with vague similarities to lungs and kidneys. Also has pulsating tumor motions in flight eww...

-Ebonscale Dragonfish-a ferocious large armored wyvern like creature unable to leave the water. It can breath cursed flames towards the player either in small bursts to hit players above water, or chase the player spewing a cone of cursed flames. Also has high defense and contact damage to compensate for being a worm type foe limited to underwater.

Drops:Cursed Flames 3-5(100%)
Ebonscale (rare crafting mat used to make:
Wrath Potion-As an evolved ebonkoi that reached level 20, its flesh retains the properties needed for this potion . ;) Thus ebonscale would be able to be used as substitute for Ebonkoi in producing Wrath potions!

Blightshot-Dart gun that fires a small cluster of darts in a highly inaccurate manner. Has a high fire rate but at the cost of low launch velocity. 50% chance not to consume ammo(dart gun+Ebonscale+Souls of sight)

Cursed Breath-Magic spell charges up to release a potentially sustained blast of cursed flames the longer held the further they travel and the more powerful they are.(Ebonscale+ Cursed flames+Souls of Might Night and Empty Tome)

Ebonfang-A Spear of decent length( slightly shorter than Gungnir) fires a short burst of cursed fire in front of its path. this burst of flames tapers off in a narrow slash mark. The flames can not hit through blocks(10 Demonite bars? +Ebonscale+10 Rotten Chunks+souls of fright)

Staff of the Corruptor-spawns little eaters as minions they alternate between swarming foes and shooting little vile spit projectiles at enemies(10 Demonite bars +Ebonscale+cursed flames+souls of fright)

Dragon Wings-ebonscale+20 souls of flight

Snow Biome additions(as Icy merman is all we have)
Icy Merman-would be given the ability to swim akin to Creature from the Deep. they still prioritize shooting ice at player though

Ice Fish -100% chance to inflict chilled if player isn't already. If the player is chilled its attacks freeze. Immune to frostburn.

Ice lamprey-latches onto player

Octopus-Hardmode hides camouflaged in icy water inflicts broken armor or bleeding for ankh charm

Lava Dwellers:

Obsidian Piranha-a lava dwelling fish able to be found where ever lava lurks. May be found in water brought to the lava layers of caverns as well

Hell Shark-What is scarier than a sand shark? A shark that can swim through lava ash among other things

Demon Shark-hardmode variant of hell shark with drastically more pain and speed

Honey Dwellers:

Electric Beel-what happens when an electric eel is crossed with a Bee? You get a long segmented swimmer that inflicts electrified. fun

Honey Slime Spawn in honey or from broken beehives they are full of bees that continuously spawn from the slime-drops(spawns honey)-can spawn in honey

Honey Shark-rare hardmode enemy (because sharks!)

And a little shark extra:

Mermaid's purse-pet item that summons a baby shark pup. Serving as a rare drop from any and all shark varieties(drastically lower drop rate from normal sharks though because they have a statue)
(yes I know most sharks especially large ones have internalized eggs but this is Terraria plus it comes out of their gibbs so... yeah)
The baby shark pup would swim through the air, terrain etc. As one would expect from a shark when idle it would circle the player, and additionally when you kill an enemy it comes over to where the enemy died as if it was "eating" their gibs. *adorable*<3

As always please comment any format advise/techniques would be very welcome!

Last edited:
You know what my favorite part of this is? I don't have to go fishing for any potion ingredients. I usually just go without to avoid the hassle.
That was one of the goals though it doesn't completely alleviate the fishing mechanic it will give an alternative for three relatively valuable buff potions(three of what I consider the big five fishing potions heartreach,rage,wrath,endurance,and lifeforce.) That said the ability to craft some post mech gear would add an opportunity cost especially when compounded with that the don't always drop something and would be very tough mini bosses.

What do you think about making their loot require at least one of each mech soul? I tried to give some items geared for the interval between the mechs and Plantera as I have noticed from Reddit that some people suffer pretty bad there and most of the gear that is post mech pre-plantera is rare drops from a random event.

What do you think of the initial aquatic mini boss and the item concepts for them? I tried to restrict them to the water while at the same time give a disadvantage for attempting to fight them out of the water(in this case they all start to spam the player with projectiles).

You might notice that the hallowed summon seems kinda uninspired compared to the others. the summon weapons were a big motivator for the miniboss weapons as I wanted to give Ichor access to the summoner class but at the same time prevent it from being abusable by people who just add a single minion.

What do you think about making their loot require at least one of each mech soul? I tried to give some items geared for the interval between the mechs and Plantera as I have noticed from Reddit that some people suffer pretty bad there and most of the gear that is post mech pre-plantera is rare drops from a random event.
Sounds good to me.
What do you think of the initial aquatic mini boss and the item concepts for them? I tried to restrict them to the water while at the same time give a disadvantage for attempting to fight them out of the water(in this case they all start to spam the player with projectiles).
By forcing them into the water you open them up to other threats in the water. It's a good way of making water enemies not a complete pushover.

I might be a little more intelligent tomorrow, didn't sleep well.

I'm inclined to support this. Minor question, though: I play with gibs off; what would that do to the baby shark pup? I don't want the adorable lil' guy to starve!

I'm inclined to support this. Minor question, though: I play with gibs off; what would that do to the baby shark pup? I don't want the adorable lil' guy to starve!
my thoughts were that it would still act like they were there it would gust be eating invisible gibbs. I mean it would be better than nothing right? ;)

Last edited:
You can make the Caiman's hard mode counterpart the Sarcosuchus!
Oh those giant Mesozoic crocodiles? I had considered it but wouldn't they be too big? But glad someone else has an interest in some of those bad*** creatures that tend to go under the radar ;)

Oh those giant Mesozoic crocodiles? I had considered it but wouldn't they be too big? But glad someone else has an interest in some of those bad*** creatures that tend to go under the radar ;)
Haha yeah, maybe they would be too big. But they are some totally awesome crocs :cool:

This is a pretty interesting suggestion. It'd certainly be neat to see more creatures that actually live in the water.

I feel like this thread is in need of a bit of organization. It's basically just a wall of text. Try to categorize and split up the suggestion into multiple parts. Bolden the names of items and use a few text colors to help the reader to distinguish things.

This is a pretty interesting suggestion. It'd certainly be neat to see more creatures that actually live in the water.

I feel like this thread is in need of a bit of organization. It's basically just a wall of text. Try to categorize and split up the suggestion into multiple parts. Bolden the names of items and use a few text colors to help the reader to distinguish things.
How is the reorganization? I rearranged the minibosses and added some text colors but I'm not really good at the organization and design stuff. I'm much more of an idea big picture person :)

Back
Top Bottom