NPCs & Enemies When Biomes Clash

I enjoyed reading this idea. It adds a whole new element to the game, and makes it more like the open ended RPG that it is. You have my support, though it would be a coding nightmare.

I enjoyed reading this idea. It adds a whole new element to the game, and makes it more like the open ended RPG that it is. You have my support, though it would be a coding nightmare.
A few things I wish to say:
♦ I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the support! :)
♦ Terraria is NOT an RPG. There is no character development, classes or any kind of restriction except for developer gear or the bunny carrot.
♦ It wouldn't be that of a coding nightmare, not with the AI at least. You can use resources that are already present to create the damage of creatures for other creatures, and make the AI focus on another object rather then on the player.

A few things I wish to say:
♦ I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the support! :)
♦ Terraria is NOT an RPG. There is no character development, classes or any kind of restriction except for developer gear or the bunny carrot.
♦ It wouldn't be that of a coding nightmare, not with the AI at least. You can use resources that are already present to create the damage of creatures for other creatures, and make the AI focus on another object rather then on the player.
When I stated that it was an RPG, I was referring to the slow development and evolution of the player character, akin to many RPG's I've played, it was not meant to be taken too literally. Though yes, I could have been clearer about it in my post. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

As for the coding aspect, you raise a fair point. However, I feel that even so, this will take quite some time to fully implement.

When I stated that it was an RPG, I was referring to the slow development and evolution of the player character, akin to many RPG's I've played, it was not meant to be taken too literally. Though yes, I could have been clearer about it in my post. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

As for the coding aspect, you raise a fair point. However, I feel that even so, this will take quite some time to fully implement.
Everything takes time to implement. ;)

Yes, but it will take longer than normal, as it would be a significant departure from what we have now.
Define "normal".
Invasions weren't as easy to implement when the idea was only thought about.
Sure, now they have a ready template for it, but when the developing for it started, it wasn't easy.
New features take more time to code then something that is already implemented but with some different parameters.

Define "normal".
Invasions weren't as easy to implement when the idea was only thought about.
Sure, now they have a ready template for it, but when the developing for it started, it wasn't easy.
New features take more time to code then something that is already implemented but with some different parameters.
The definition of normal is subjective, and varies from person to person. What I'd consider "normal" may differ to what you perceive as normal.
Back to the matter at hand, I see where you're coming from. Using existing AI's would certainly cut down the development time in regards to the hostility between biome mobs, but what of the factions? I don't see a viable workaround on how to implement this, though you can feel free to state any opinions you have on the matter.

The definition of normal is subjective, and varies from person to person. What I'd consider "normal" may differ to what you perceive as normal.
Back to the matter at hand, I see where you're coming from. Using existing AI's would certainly cut down the development time in regards to the hostility between biome mobs, but what of the factions? I don't see a viable workaround on how to implement this, though you can feel free to state any opinions you have on the matter.
Factions...
3 counters, each increasing or decreasing depending on the actions you take.
For instance, when you purify a corrupt block it will give you -1 to the Corruption counter, and +1 to the Hallow and Crimson.
If you have X points, the ambassador will sell you certain items, and the more points you have the better things he will sell.

Support, I have a crimson based character (the guy as my Avatar), and frankly I don't think it'd be hard to do, really you'd need to tweak the targeting AI I would think. If you haven't yet witnessed a slime murder a bunny then I envy you and you clearly don't get that mob interaction IS already in the game.

Support, I have a crimson based character (the guy as my Avatar), and frankly I don't think it'd be hard to do, really you'd need to tweak the targeting AI I would think. If you haven't yet witnessed a slime murder a bunny then I envy you and you clearly don't get that mob interaction IS already in the game.
Yes but the slime did not target the bunny.
Also, mobs separate into two types as of now; Mobs and Critters
Critters - hurt by mobs and are harmless
Mobs - some are harmless(AI dependent) while others targets player and deal damage to the player and critters.

While i'm not entirely sure about the whole full on biome fight, I DO love the idea of infighting, makes me feel like i'm playing Doom again.

I support as well. I also believe that if this gets implemented, the mods to follow will be incredible. I can already think of one I would try to code; 'The Purity isn't so Pure' or something like that. The Purity would be the same as usual, until the first time factions on opposite sides of the map surrounding The Purity went to war, causing the beasts of the forest to awaken in defense of their ancestral home. Wild wolves, owls, general forest creatures known for cruelty/ruthlessness/hunting prowess, etc. The backstory would be that the Player was actually an adoptive member of the wolf pack, and they decided to give them a final test before joining the pack by seeing if they can survive the outside world without the pack. That's why the player wakes up alone(sort of... darned Guide) in the middle of a forest known only as The Purity, which could be a reference to how each person believes their home is the most pure place in the world. The character has no memory for whatever reason, that can be worked out, but the main thing would be that the Purity faction fell into a slumber at first watching and waiting for the player to 'awaken' unto their heritage. They are forced out of that slumber when they get caught in the middle of two or more other faction's wars raging across their land, prompting defensive actions. This faction may be the default for once the faction system unlocks, if it only unlocks post-Golem Hard-mode, which it sounds like it may, considering how the Ambassadors require post-Golem materials to be summoned. May have basic, weak units for the faction summoning, but which can be summoned in large quantities and would work together in coordinated tactics against enemies, rather than how most other units act independent of anything else around them. Sorry for the long post.

For tl;dr : Mod with a new faction, character backstory, and new Zerg-rush style units. If you don't understand Zerg-rush, please look Here

@Zolatul , nope nope and nope.
Terraria, in my opinion, is good enough without a back story, and it shouldn't have one.
And as I told to many other users before, the purity should stay as unclaimed, neutral, faction-less land.
Thanks for the support though.

What if I want to be allies with my MUSHROOM bros? What bonuses do those guys get. Also, will the Purity be considered a biome? (Demon eyes, Zombies, Wraiths, Werewolves, etc)

What if I want to be allies with my MUSHROOM bros? What bonuses do those guys get. Also, will the Purity be considered a biome? (Demon eyes, Zombies, Wraiths, Werewolves, etc)
I said it on the main post, I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
The purity is NOT a faction!
And only the evils are factions.

I Support this one, love the idea. Though, when you ally with a faction, you can kill its mob right? (for drop purposes), and once you kill it, minus/negative/- points to the mob's faction you killed and + points to its counterpart faction.
For example
"Hi I'm the player, I allied with Hallow"
Then you killed a Pixie, (for Pixie Dust), - points to Hallow, + points to Crimson/Corrupt
(Player: "Uh-oh" <killed a Pixe>)
(Hallow Ambassador: *Aham*!:dryadmad:)
(Player: :D'')

Wait, did I get that right?

You kill the mob, it drops the drops, the hallow hates you a bit more and everyone else likes you a bit more.

This factions business is so messed up...
Removing it.

Back
Top Bottom