A Distinctly Etherian Update: Terraria and Dungeon Defenders II Crossover Coming Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the turrets are usable outside of the event... A base setup that can defend itself properly would be amazing!

All I can say is... Please?
I love automation in mods, one of the primary reasons I like playing Minecraft with mods. If we can get a little bit of that automation into Terraria it'd be amazing. Still, there is not really a framework to implement these features at the moment, so creating something like that would be a lot of work at this moment.

Absolutely, we modders can bring so much to the table. Miniturrets from Ratchet and Clank, anyone. ;-)
Maybe Debuff Aura Turrets would be cool.
I hope there will be a good framework to add AI to tiles ;-)
If in the context of modders you mean tModLoader modding, you can already achieve the effect by extending Terraria's TileEntities, which is what logicsensors & targetdummies use :)

Last edited:
Wait, you're encouraging decompiling the game?

Can I consider that Re-Logic's official stance (serious question)?

I of course can't speak to official Re-Logic stances, but there is no rule against decompiling the source code of the game. Recompiled standalone mods are allowed and those aren't possible without decompiling. Just don't openly share the decompiled source code, as that is against the rules.

I appeared to have written my original post in an unclear way and will edit it properly :sigh:
I didn't encourage the latter at all - using tModLoader lets you make mods without any decompilation required, as presented in the example mod included in its thread.
Terraria already has the capability or what you'd call "base" for making turret mods in tModLoader, I'm just saying it's possible.
I also hang out in the tModLoader discord and help people out once in a while! :)
(A reminder: I started off as a modder, myself!)

If in the context of modders you mean tModLoader modding, you can already achieve the effect by extending Terraria's TileEntities, which is what logicsensors & targetdummies use :)
That looks really useful, is it possible for TileEntities and Tiles/Other TileEntities to directly communicate with each other. (like get the position and state of the tiles next to it) That would be a great way to create for example, quarries/processing machines. Maybe this is more a discussion for within the tModloader Discord/Thread. Just curious about the possibilities here. :merchantgrin:

I just want to say one thing. He never said anything along the lines of `I encourage (you to) X Y` ;/
[doublepost=1478520487,1478520427][/doublepost]
That looks really useful, is it possible for TileEntities and Tiles/Other TileEntities to directly communicate with each other. (like get the position and state of the tiles next to it) That would be a great way to create for example, quarries/processing machines. Maybe this is more a discussion for within the tModloader Discord/Thread. Just curious about the possibilities here. :merchantgrin:
Definitely a lot is possible with entities ;)

I appeared to have written my original post in an unclear way and will edit it properly :sigh:
I didn't encourage the latter at all - using tModLoader lets you make mods without any decompilation required, as presented in the example mod included in its thread.
Terraria already has the capability or what you'd call "base" for making turret mods in tModLoader, I'm just saying it's possible.
I also hang out in the tModLoader discord and help people out once in a while! :)
(A reminder: I started off as a modder, myself!)
Chalk that up to careless wording on my part. I didn't really mean encourage as in "you should do that", but more as in "we're fine with it if you do so". I've been trying to get an official statement on this for eight months now, so you could say I'm rather eager. :)

While decompilation isn't necessary for modding, it does make it a lot easier, and I can see turrets being much easier to mod if you have a wider access to the code of the turrets that ship with the game.
I of course can't speak to official Re-Logic stances, but there is no rule against decompiling the source code of the game. Recompiled standalone mods are allowed and those aren't possible without decompiling. Just don't openly share the decompiled source code, as that is against the rules.
I was more referring to Re-Logic's stance against decompiling in general, seeing how that's not legal in many jurisdictions.
I just want to say one thing. He never said anything along the lines of `I encourage (you to) X Y` ;/
Not in the edited post, no. I was referring to the original post.

@Kazzymodus Out of curiosity, why are you gunning for an official opinion? I assume you're a modder, or just curious yourself?
I think it's pretty hard to draw a line, "open sourcing" the code might lead to code theft or worse. Anyway I'm looking forward to the crossover content and I hope to do the same if I or the company where I develop one day has made successful game. *dreams on...*

Not in the edited post, no. I was referring to the original post.
And I was referring to the original post, which I could see via your quote. Anyhow, I do get why you asked/where you were going. We can keep it really short, you can't stop people from decompiling, disallowing it would be nonsense and wouldn't work anyway. However, you can't share anything :)
This discussion has gotten pretty off-topic, so let's stop that and please get back on-topic, everyone. :)

@Kazzymodus If you would like to discuss this further, please send me a PM.
Agreed, this'll be my final comment. For anyone wondering in the future:

Yes you can decompile, but you are officially NOT ALLOWED to share any decompiled code. To clarify on how TML works, it uses a patches system which also makes sure the github doesn't actually share any decompiled sourcecode. Whichever changes made for TML are basically converted into patch files, and the patcher then 'patches' these changes into the sourcecode. (which we all decompile separately)

Back on topic, I admit I'm a little skeptical about the crossover idea. I hope it will be implemented in a way that people can avoid the new content if it's not to their taste. But I mostly trust Re-Logic's judgement on this kind of thing, they've made and awesome game this far after all. I'm sure this is most exciting for people already familiar with the other game, but it does look like it'll have some interesting content. I'm looking forward to seeing how the tower defense elements work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom