Experimental Features - Texture Pack Support and World Seeds!

So, how does this world seed thing actually work? I typed in "Crimson Pyramids" and, while I got Crimson covering almost the entire world, I got no pyramids.

I love the new experimental features. I didn't know what 'world seed' was at first but now I do...I know this is kinda a suggestion but I thought since you did 'world seed' you might be able to do something like this: Could you give us the option to select if we want corruption or crimson when creating a world. Like after naming the world/etc. and where you select seed, then have 'corruption' 'crimson' and 'leave blank for random' options ? Would see it being helpful on not having to create world after world after world to get the one I wanted.

I love the new experimental features. I didn't know what 'world seed' was at first but now I do...I know this is kinda a suggestion but I thought since you did 'world seed' you might be able to do something like this: Could you give us the option to select if we want corruption or crimson when creating a world. Like after naming the world/etc. and where you select seed, then have 'corruption' 'crimson' and 'leave blank for random' options ? Would see it being helpful on not having to create world after world after world to get the one I wanted.

Honestly, I want every kind of option for world creating.

Which large biomes we want.
Which small biomes we want.
Which ores and how much we want.
Which gems and how much we want.
How many sky islands we want.
Where and how big the dungeon is.
Whether we have corruption, crimson or both.
How many pyramids and how big they are.
Whether we want traps everywhere, or very few traps.
Whether we want underground structures and the like everywhere or very few.
How many hives.
Whether the temple is above ground or underground.

And I'm sure there are a boatload of other options that would be amazing for creating the worlds we want in Terraria. I know there's a mod that gives these options, but I'd like them to be included in the main game and thereby officially supported.

So glad you guys are giving these types of features a shot. I hope things go well and progress in this direction continues.

This is actually already a feature - after you enter hardmode for the first time the option will appear for you when you next create a world! =o

So, how does this world seed thing actually work? I typed in "Crimson Pyramids" and, while I got Crimson covering almost the entire world, I got no pyramids.
Simply put in the world's generation there is a random number generator that constantly gets used, the seed you submit (whatever it may be) gets converted to a number unique to what you wrote, and that number modifies what results the random number generator would give the game to work with.
There's roughly 2,147,483,648 possible different seeds, btw. =p

So glad you guys are giving these types of features a shot. I hope things go well and progress in this direction continues.

I know how the seed generation works, I just wondered if typing actual words really made a difference. It doesn't, it just happens that typing Crimson coincidentally got me a load of Crimson. But, the other features and world gen options I suggested would still be awesome.

So short-handing seeds could be:
[S/M/L][N/X][?] [Seed]

Where it's:
[Size] (Small/Medium/Large)
[World Difficulty] (Normal/eXpert)
[Darkness Type] - Yeah, no idea other than maybe P and R for Purple (Corruption) and Red (Crimson)... Or corru[P]tion and c[R]imson... *shrug*.

Examples:
LXP With Queso (Large Expert Corruption)
SNR Hello World! (Small Normal Crimson)

BTW, does cAsE matter in seeds? (And why a limit with what looks like a signed 32-bit seed? Why not unsigned for the full 32-bit range of 4+ billion?)

LXP With Queso

That sounds delicious, I'll take a dozen.

So short-handing seeds could be:
[S/M/L][N/X][?] [Seed]

BTW, does cAsE matter in seeds? (And why a limit with what looks like a signed 32-bit seed? Why not unsigned for the full 32-bit range of 4+ billion?)

That shorthanding sounds like a great plan! :)

Also, case DOES matter in seeds. Capitalization will impact the end result!

Last edited:
Native Texture Pack Support, World Seed Save and Tacos with Queso, I can only say this:
index.php

This is going to be extremely useful for the Terrafine Project. I have been working on this texture pack for quite some time, so I am really looking forward to incorporating these features to the texture pack. I'm really excited to see how this goes. One thing that I would really like to see is support for not only .xnb files, but .png files also. While it's not that hard for me to do (because I have the lovely @PieOfCthulhu ) it can be a real burden to others as converters are hard to find. I understand that using .xnb helps secure the files to avoid having to deal with people trying to steal the files (and for that very reason I will continue to use .xnb), but I think that support for both files would be greatly appreciated. That's just a thought I am putting out there. I really look forward to seeing what this has in store, and I really hope that texture pack making becomes popular. Keep up the good work, Re-logic!

One thing that I would really like to see is support for not only .xnb files, but .png files also.

You are the third person who's asked about png files, and I'm happy to point out that the example file we have attached is using png files! While I'm still waiting on details for the exact specifics for what file types are supported, png files are the one I can definitely confirm without a doubt. :)

You are the third person who's asked about png files, and I'm happy to point out that the example file we have attached is using png files! While I'm still waiting on details for the exact specifics for what file types are supported, png files are the one I can definitely confirm without a doubt. :)
That is great news. This will help out those who are starting off their texture packs.

That is great news. This will help out those who are starting off their texture packs.
This is huge, you Re-Logic guys always find a way to surprise me. A great game, awesome community, updates(have been updating for years) and now this, i cannot thank you guys enough!

Now i can change the final boss into a TRUE final boss...

Redigit himself. :red:

Edit: Actually, i have a genuine question.

How would i go about retexturing an Item? I Looked at the example file, and it only showed blocks and walls.

The file names were Tiles_30 and Wall_4, but what about item paths?

Is it just Item_24 or something?

Also, i assume the number is what the ID in-game would be?

@Leinfors

Last edited:
I know we are working on a few more sample files for demonstration, so that's something that will come in a little while.

With that said, we don't have a specific full tutorial for texture pack creation available right now, only how to install them. You may want to ask around the texture pack section for some advice, while we get more info compiled for this thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom