1.3.4 is LIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I get better ones? I have already wasted too much in-game money just trying to figure out a half-decent defense against the first couple of waves, and the medal or so that drops after a couple of waves means I have practically no spending power unless I waste hours and hours (and tons of gold) in order to maybe get a single medal now and then? I have over 2100 hours logged in this game, because I enjoyed playing it up until this "event". I have to grind for 100 medals (ostensibly wasting tons of in-game Platinum coins), just so I can get a whole other medal or two every now and then? I didn't buy this game to have any type of forced grind...

I was never this pissed about the Pumpkin Moon, even though I can't finish it, because I felt I had a decently fair chance to beat it. Not so, in this case.

I assume you're playing on a normal world, expert worlds give at least 3x more medals than a normal world does. Just to give an example: A post-mechanical boss expert world will give you 20 medals, 1 after wave 3, 3 after wave 5 and 16 after wave 7. (haven't fought a post-golem version yet, but I know it's around 80 medals per win).

If you have a good kick in your hand, forest of traps will only make it harder.
On my expert pre-moonlord world spike balls do 1-3 damage to even basic event enemies, and only block my own hits.
Try a run or two with no traps, maybe it will let you kill mobs quicker.

Even if it is a test run for T:OW's tower defense, they won't give us anything more than spoilers.
It's all abaut 'will be done, when will be done' policy.
Also, remember, traps WILL damage the crystal!

I don't really get the complaints I am reading. It's a lovely free update that adds even more play time to an ever growing inexpensive game.
Do the people that complain even enjoy Terraria? Sounds like you're tired of the game.
Maybe play other games for 6 months/a year and come back for a new playthrough?

I don't want to sound like some fanboy or anything, it's just that these people seem so ungrateful. I kinda wonder how it's going in real life for them, where only the air in your lungs and the sun on your back are free.

Oh well. *shrug* Time for a few more rounds of ogre slaying. :cool:

Looking back on this, I sorta messed around with the texture pack functionality a tiny bit, changing the sky color.

I find it a bit tedious to have to put the files into a ZIP though, would it be possible that we could also have the option for a Texture Pack folder instead of a Texture Pack zip?

Looking back on this, I sorta messed around with the texture pack functionality a tiny bit, changing the sky color.

I find it a bit tedious to have to put the files into a ZIP though, would it be possible that we could also have the option for a Texture Pack folder instead of a Texture Pack zip?
Well, you could always use .xnb files and place them into the images folder!

@Tunnel King @Gotcha!
Hey, now. It's perfectly okay to be unsatisfied with the pacing or balance of the new event, or to disagree with the design decisions behind it, or to have ideas for improving it. And it's equally okay to say so, as long as those opinions are presented with civility (and they appear to have been, for the most part). Shooting people's concerns down just because the update content is free or optional is somewhat missing the point. A discussion should exist to produce constructive feedback, not just dispense mindless praise onto the developers!

I don't agree with several aspects of this update (the lack of banner buffs, for example), and while I respect that this is Re-Logic's game and they have the final call, I take issue with the suggestion that keeping dissenting opinions means that you're ungrateful, or that you should not partake in new content if you're having a hard time and getting frustrated.

@wrr377
I have a suggestion for your arena! This might sound crazy... but try removing all the traps from in between the campfires. Those traps deal continuous piercing damage, which prevents a lot of end-game weapons from connecting. I had some difficulties similar to what you're describing when I got too enthusiastic with my spiky ball traps - they helped when they were around the portals, but having them nearby prevented me from properly dealing with enemies that got close to the crystal.

I noticed that the new summon accessories' 10% minion damage and extra sentry don't stack. Is that intentional? I was looking forward to having 900,000 rainbows assault my foes (and my eyes) with Rainbow Crystal Staff :(

@Tunnel King @Gotcha!
Hey, now. It's perfectly okay to be unsatisfied with the pacing or balance of the new event, or to disagree with the design decisions behind it, or to have ideas for improving it. And it's equally okay to say so, as long as those opinions are presented with civility (and they appear to have been, for the most part). Shooting people's concerns down just because the update content is free or optional is somewhat missing the point. A discussion should exist to produce constructive feedback, not just dispense mindless praise onto the developers!
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that people should be able to provide feedback in order to give new ideas or improve aspects of the game; this is not North Korea. But to me certain people just seem to complain. My annoyance was only directed at those posts.
Complaining about changes to existing content I can understand. I've been annoyed multiple times in the past when the devs decided to ruin one of my favourite weapons and armour for example, or the ridiculous banner spam (which still annoys me greatly), and ranted plenty about it, but for this, no, not really. This is an update that adds something that can be avoided altogether; you don't even have to play it.

At the end of the day Re-Logic is providing all these updates free of charge. How many developers do that? Not many. So I think it's fair that people at least shine through some gratitude, explain what they don't like and how they would improve it in a normal manner, instead of just smacking the update down and stomp on it while yelling "Do not like!"
I do not want to appear as a fanboy, I just think Re-Logic is very unique in what they do and don't deserve people peeing over their obvious love for their player base. Afterall, they could just stop doing this, the game has been completed many years ago. Nothing is forcing them to provide us with updates.

Peeing over, that's why EA, Activision, UbiSoft and Blizzard exist. :p

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that people should be able to provide feedback in order to give new ideas or improve aspects of the game; this is not North Korea. But to me certain people just seem to complain. My annoyance was only directed at those posts.
This is the first time I have ever had any issues with content delivered to the game, so yes, you are targeting posts with dissenting opinions.

Complaining about changes to existing content I can understand. I've been annoyed multiple times in the past when the devs decided to ruin one of my favourite weapons and armour for example, or the ridiculous banner spam (which still annoys me greatly), and ranted plenty about it, but for this, no, not really. This is an update that adds something that can be avoided altogether; you don't even have to play it.
This update would have been great if it could have been played like EVERY OTHER CONTENT UPDATE to Terraria since its release, but instead it restricts the player, the player's creativity, and even the ability to build or destroy anything during the crystal guarding event - not something present in any other "event" that's ever been patched into Terraria.

At the end of the day Re-Logic is providing all these updates free of charge. How many developers do that? Not many.
Whether there are many, or any, other devs which include free content updates to their bought-once game or not (and I am sure there are, like the guy who made Goat Simulator), you are making a logical fallacy and false argument point, setting up a strawman to knock down in your following sentences...

So I think it's fair that people at least shine through some gratitude, explain what they don't like and how they would improve it in a normal manner, instead of just smacking the update down and stomp on it while yelling "Do not like!"
I DID say how it could be "improved" by simply bringing it in-line with the play style of the rest of the game to date, ie, removing the restrictions on the player, including the buffs found for every other banner in Terraria (which is now commonplace), and opening up the "arena" construction. I voiced my arguments, explained my discontent, and offered what I saw as solutions. I can't help if your mind boiled it down to "He doesn't like it, he's an idiot!"

I do not want to appear as a fanboy
Ever notice how every phrase that starts with "I'm not a [negatively connotated label here], but...", other examples being "I'm not a racist, but..." or "I'm not a misogynist, but..."? They all mean one thing: You are indeed one, and you're trying to convince yourself (and everyone else) you aren't.

I just think Re-Logic is very unique in what they do and don't deserve people peeing over their obvious love for their player base. Afterall, they could just stop doing this, the game has been completed many years ago. Nothing is forcing them to provide us with updates.
You're right, nothing is indeed forcing them to include the updates. Their love for their player base has been shining through with the continuing updates long after Re-Digit left the original for "Terraria: Other World" and "Terraria 2" (if they're not the same thing). I especially appreciate a definite ending boss (Moon Lord). Up until this update event, I've loved everything Cenx and the rest have created for the Terraria community, including community contributions added into the official game - this game was, and still is, without a doubt THE best bang for your buck if you like (literally) building your way up from nothing to a world-saving hero, however you want to accomplish it (if ever)... especially if you grew up playing on the NES and SNES game systems (regarding the game's pixelated aesthetic). I have very few games that I have ever put more time and care into (and thoroughly enjoyed so well) before this game, whether on console or PC, and I've been gaming since "Atari" was the big name in video game systems back in the early '80s.

You fail to realize one thing (and I am not directing the next couple of lines toward the Terraria 1 Dev Team): There should be no expectation of gratitude if you provide something which was not even asked for, and changes the essential feel and flow of the game so many have devoted much time (sometimes years) to playing. Forcing something unwanted on someone and then expecting gratitude is the epitome of egotism (an unfortunate failing that can happen to dev teams when they have a hit game, eg, the difference in Gearbox between Borderlands 1 and 2, plus all the other games afterwards under their moniker). If I had asked for this in its current form ("Hey, Teraria Dev Team, wouldn't it be cool to have a Dungeon Defenders 2 crossover content in this game so we can have some hardcore tower defense-style gameplay?"), then I wouldn't be voicing my dissenting opinion of the "optional" event (keep in mind some boss fights are also "optional", but they don't restrict the playing field or player abilities, unless it is to allow their sprites to be drawn without collisions). When a game has been going this long, and players have been sticking with it for years, they have an expectation for game play and flow, and when it is restricted or significantly changed (for good or bad), there will be resistance and dissension - the more game companies try to force players to play the way they think a game should be played, the faster they'll see players leave and sales drop (just look at what happened to Mechwarrior Online, another fave of mine, when they started implementing penalties and anti-player rules because some large units weren't playing the game the way they wanted...). They have, however, been squashing bugs and addressing concerns at an incredible rate, one which is almost non-existent in this modern game era - another impressive testament to their love for the game and its players.

There is a saying: "The most loyal fans are also the harshest critics". This is not because we love to complain (and yes, some really do just love to do it), but because we carry the ideal vision of the game which we have grown to understand and appreciate (how we like to spend our limited time on this planet relaxing and enjoying a fun past-time), and when that ideal is suddenly changed or constricted, we prefer the restrictions be brought in-line with the original game's flow, or else we no longer enjoy our time playing it. Game making is a symbiotic relationship between the makers (providers) and players (customers), and when they communicate, great things can happen, expanding the game well past its original vision (and which has definitely been done already). If, however, players are dissatisfied, they are likely to carry that decision forward and influence their future buying decisions from the makers, as well as coloring their recommendations for all present and future makers' products to others.

Peeing over, that's why EA, Activision, UbiSoft and Blizzard exist. :p
Now, something we can definitely agree upon. Don't forget to include Atari in with them! Those companies' treatment of the player base as nothing more than continuous pocketbooks as well as all of the legitimate buyers being pirates (had to find a NO-CD cracked executable to play Atari-released UT 2004 ON RELEASE DAY because SecuROM DRM prevented almost everyone who bought the game legit from playing it), game series' fans ("we know what's best for you - OUR way!"), and their disgusting elitist hubris, is why I have neither Origin nor Uplay (or buy anything on Steam which requires them), any current Blizzard games (last one was Diablo 2), and a scant selection of modern Activision games (I remember when they were actually reputable and made / sold good, solid games like the Mechwarrior 2 and the Battlezone series - BZ2 was freaking awesome!)

tl;dr version: I love the dev team's continued updates, and I love having a tower-defense element in the game. I just want it to be as unrestricted as the rest of the game is in regards to game flow.

Last edited:
So I cleared the event now, killed Betsy a few times, got several items.

Be advised I really like this update and appreciate all the hard work

I just don't know how I feel about how restricted the event itself is, everything from where you can place the crystal to basic game mechanics being completely shut off

Unfortunately for all this restriction, I've still found a strategy that trivilizes all the waves and can kill Betsy at the highest level of the event, without even pillar or lunar gear

The community will always maximize the easiest strategy in any event, and this leaves out people in particular who like to wire, fortify, etc. TBH I don't doubt that Joe Price will find a way to AFK farm it anyway... LOL

Anyway the new content is really nice, maybe the event feels more interactive for players who are progressing from a new world instead of picking it up in a current world

@wrr377 I agree with what you say for the most part about being able to voice your opinion. That is the best part about being the consumer, and also having open developers, who are in most circumstances willing to mold the game to user-suggestions. However, there are definitely a few things that you can do to make this invasion easier for you. This invasion is meant to be restrictive, because of the nature of DD2. You can't build anything in DD2, nor can you manipulate the pathing of the on-coming enemies. This event is simply a translation of these restrictions into the Terrarian universe, and it has been executed very well! I've personally had no issues with the Terraria developers in my 4000+ hours of game play, they are very quick with squashing bugs and adding minor features / changes after a major update drops. Anyways, enough of me rambling on, let me give you some tips on tackling the new invasion, and how the mechanics work. 1.) Use piercing weapons. Many of the cannon fodder enemies are easily dispatched with piercing weapons, such as any bow with jester arrows! Use this in combination with a completely flat arena to take out the enemies quicker! 2.) For flying enemies and bosses, use a high DPS, single target weapon, such as a powerful gun or magical weapon (eg Tactical Shotgun with Chlorophyte Bullets). Flying enemies are the #1 priority for dispatching these enemies. 3.) Use the ballista as your primary defense. The ballista is THE best (imo) defense for this invasion, due to its high damage, piercing bullets. The Flame Burst is also effective against air units and for small clumps of enemies, as it deals AoE damage. All you really have to worry about is the bosses, and flying enemies, but that's already covered.
Also KEEP IN MIND: This event is tiered! Tier 1 is pre-hardmode, and only goes to wave 5. Tier 2 is post-mech boss, and introduces more medal drops and the Ogre. Tier 3 is the final wave, post golem, and introduces Betsy. Use weaponry that is appropriate to that stage of the game. If you want more advice, check the wiki here: http://terraria.wiki.gg/Old_One's_Army
As always, use buffs, and campfires, heart lanterns, honey, and buff stations. Another tip: Expert mode, while being more difficult, yields more medals! However, the drop rates of items, are ironically decreased, which is not normal for expert mode.
I really don't find too many issues with this event, its definitely a fun challenge, and balanced to the likes of the actual invasion in DD2. Have a good one!

@Techdude594
The main point is this: If I wanted to play a game in the style of "Dungeon Defenders 2", I would load up "Dungeon Defenders" (along with the entire DLC library), which I already own. If I wanted to play tower defense, in general, then I might load up one of the "Defense Grid" games (I own both + all DLC), possibly "Iron Brigade" / "Trenched", or one of the many other games I own that belong to that specific genre.

When I want to play an unrestricted, open-world exploration / creation / mining / crafting / trap-making / farming / monster & boss-hunting game, I load up Terraria. When any part of Terraria no longer plays like Terraria, I voice my displeasure and propose possible fixes so that the entire game feels like the entirety of the game as it always generally has been (and why I am drawn to it above others).

I quite enjoy the crossover's CONTENT, just not its imposition of the other games' rules and restrictions which have no place in the mechanics of this particular game. It creates an interesting paradigm and brings many possibilities for expanding Terraria's gameplay, yet all it does is restrict it.

1.3.4 is awesome! I'm loving the all of the changes!

The Dungeon Defender 2 has added so much more to the game, I can't wait to go discover it!
I also love all the other changes!

Thanks to all the devs and people who worked into making this awesome new update!

@Techdude594
The main point is this: If I wanted to play a game in the style of "Dungeon Defenders 2", I would load up "Dungeon Defenders" (along with the entire DLC library), which I already own. If I wanted to play tower defense, in general, then I might load up one of the "Defense Grid" games (I own both + all DLC), possibly "Iron Brigade" / "Trenched", or one of the many other games I own that belong to that specific genre.

When I want to play an unrestricted, open-world exploration / creation / mining / crafting / trap-making / farming / monster & boss-hunting game, I load up Terraria. When any part of Terraria no longer plays like Terraria, I voice my displeasure and propose possible fixes so that the entire game feels like the entirety of the game as it always generally has been (and why I am drawn to it above others).

I quite enjoy the crossover's CONTENT, just not its imposition of the other games' rules and restrictions which have no place in the mechanics of this particular game. It creates an interesting paradigm and brings many possibilities for expanding Terraria's gameplay, yet all it does is restrict it.
Ah, I see what you mean! Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion! This gameplay is quite a stark difference from the normal, sandbox game-play of vanilla Terraria. Let's propose a hypothetical situation : If you were one of the developers for Terraria, what would you change about this invasion to make it more in-line with the rest of the content in the game at this moment? I am curious to find out!

It wouldn't be much change as far as I can tell - simply what I said in earlier posts:

- Put damage & "defense against" buffs on the banners dropped from the DD2 enemies (the drop rate is pretty good as it is, really)
- Remove the "must be a flat plain with no obstructions or pits" (and any other DD2-associated) restrictions
- (this one is new - just thought about it) Add a "Sentry Timer" (similar to the buff time countdown) to the status effects area under the main toolbar so we can know how much longer the turrets we summoned will last?

Having said that, I wonder if the team would consider giving us more dropped (or even craftable) stationary sentries / turrets? As it stands now, the only one I know of is the Spider Queen (craftable staff) and the new DD2 crossovers - could we have something like the martian Tesla turrets, AoE enemy debuffs such as a Corruption-inspired "darkness" turret, or biome-style turrets like a Bee / wasp generator that spits them out when enemies get too close? Maybe even make the turrets destructible as a balance? Just a couple of quick ideas...

As I stated before: it opens up a whole new potential addition to, and deepening of, Terraria's gameplay! I've seen some spectacular other community-proposed additions, namely the "Infestation" biome as a contemporary to the "Corruption" and "Crimson" biomes - that work was unbelievably good!

*EDIT* Also forgot to mention - post-defense turrets fall through platforms when summoned, and if the platform is right above solid blocks, they can fall through the blocks until their bases rest on block / brick-style areas.

Last edited:
I'm having some trouble finding the tavernkeep.made a small world and killed eater of worlds but could never find him after.flew everywhere on all layers looking for him

It wouldn't be much change as far as I can tell - simply what I said in earlier posts:

- Put damage & "defense against" buffs on the banners dropped from the DD2 enemies (the drop rate is pretty good as it is, really)
- Remove the "must be a flat plain with no obstructions or pits" (and any other DD2-associated) restrictions
- (this one is new - just thought about it) Add a "Sentry Timer" (similar to the buff time countdown) to the status effects area under the main toolbar so we can know how much longer the turrets we summoned will last?

Having said that, I wonder if the team would consider giving us more dropped (or even craftable) stationary sentries / turrets? As it stands now, the only one I know of is the Spider Queen (craftable staff) and the new DD2 crossovers - could we have something like the martian Tesla turrets, AoE enemy debuffs such as a Corruption-inspired "darkness" turret, or biome-style turrets like a Bee / wasp generator that spits them out when enemies get too close? Maybe even make the turrets destructible as a balance? Just a couple of quick ideas...

As I stated before: it opens up a whole new potential addition to, and deepening of, Terraria's gameplay! I've seen some spectacular other community-proposed additions, namely the "Infestation" biome as a contemporary to the "Corruption" and "Crimson" biomes - that work was unbelievably good!

*EDIT* Also forgot to mention - post-defense turrets fall through platforms when summoned, and if the platform is right above solid blocks, they can fall through the blocks until their bases rest on block / brick-style areas.
These are actually some really good ideas! It would balance out sentries even more than they currently are! Also, the other sentries in game are the Rainbow Crystal Staff, Staff of the Frost Hydra, and the Lunar Portal staff!
[doublepost=1479444633,1479444618][/doublepost]
I'm having some trouble finding the tavernkeep.made a small world and killed eater of worlds but could never find him after.flew everywhere on all layers looking for him
Just grab some hunter potions and go wild!

The point here is to evolve - to try something new (and trust me, new mechanics had to be added that really expand what the game can do in order to make this work)...to make something that is accessible to new players AND that would challenge vets to think in a new way. Not just "let me build an arena like I did for the moons and <boss> so that the game can play itself (a bit hyperbolic there, but you get me ;) ).

Had we done "the typical" event/invasion, we would be hearing about how it's fluff and uncreative bloat content ("oh good, another moon"). What we have instead are some new mechanics that will push you in new ways, to adapt and evolve - something any classic gamer will be familiar with. The secondary goal has to be treating the other partner's IP authentically. Look at how Trendy went on t of the way to do right by our beloved Dryad and such.....we owe them the same. Combine that and you have both objectives done - an event that plays like DD2 and pushes players to expand how they approach things.

We fully understand that won't be everyone's cup of tea (as are so many things in Terraria - but that is part of the charm...there is something for everyone and yet you can usually skip it if you want to). If someone doesn't like it, that's cool. We will take the constructive bits under advisement as we always do and carry on with that in mind for the future. That said, the overwhelming majority of what I've heard is praise for providing something fresh and challenging that cannot be brute forced or arena'd so easily. I get that doesn't fit your experience - and that's unfortunate - but like I said above, nothing we do will ever please everyone. :)

The examples given of globally restrictive gameplay are for the most part much more broad than this content...which is an optional side quest (if you will) that makes up less than one percent of the entiare game. Acting as if that taints the rest or as if we have somehow "gone all ego and lost our way" is more than a bit much.

It's a single event in a vast game. It's not some "new global direction". The game you know and love is still right there for the playing - and I suppose everyone will have to wait and see what we have in store for future plans.

Thanks for the support from BOTH sides of the debate - I just wanted to give some perspective in the hopes that we could gain mutual understanding and break the circle. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom