Experimental Features - Texture Pack Support and World Seeds!

Wait PNG suport,
This is how i feel right now:
:D
Wait you can pixel!?!?!?!

Edit: I remember, you CAN pixel!
[doublepost=1479403008,1479402938][/doublepost]
I know we are working on a few more sample files for demonstration, so that's something that will come in a little while.

With that said, we don't have a specific full tutorial for texture pack creation available right now, only how to install them. You may want to ask around the texture pack section for some advice, while we get more info compiled for this thread. :)
I can probably create a thread later on today

Now i can change the final boss into a TRUE final boss...

Redigit himself. :red:

Edit: Actually, i have a genuine question.

How would i go about retexturing an Item? I Looked at the example file, and it only showed blocks and walls.

The file names were Tiles_30 and Wall_4, but what about item paths?

Is it just Item_24 or something?

Also, i assume the number is what the ID in-game would be?

@Leinfors
Check this: http://terraria.wiki.gg/Item_IDs
It contains the ID of every item in the game. Just name your item(s) as the one(s) you want to replace.
There is a lot of tutorials for anyone starting "retexturing" but the basics things are a software that supports png files and transparency and an xnb to png converter .

Yup! supposedly any texture with the same name as Terraria's textures will be properly replaced.

Thanks for the quick response!

Check this: http://terraria.wiki.gg/Item_IDs
It contains the ID of every item in the game. Just name your item(s) as the one(s) you want to replace.
There is a lot of tutorials for anyone starting "retexturing" but the basics things are a software that supports png files and transparency and an xnb to png converter .

Alright, i already have an image editing software, so i'm set on that. But i'll have to find a XNB to PNG converter somewhere.

I'd prefer not to take this post too off-topic, though. This is to discuss the experimental features, not texture making and creation specifically. :p

I just want to thank whoever made this feature! Texture packs are back with a vengeance! I do have one request, would you guys consider adding support for fonts to be changed natively? I have a WIP interface texture pack, and one if the features is custom fonts. If you guys could add support for these to be directly installed via this new feature, that would be incredible! This update just keeps giving! So many texture pack creators love this feature, the community is forever changed!

You are the third person who's asked about png files, and I'm happy to point out that the example file we have attached is using png files! While I'm still waiting on details for the exact specifics for what file types are supported, png files are the one I can definitely confirm without a doubt. :)
Looks like I'll have to find another way to help out with the Terrafine Project. For all other purposes, though, this is very exciting. Of all things, the main thing to be excited about here (in my opinion) is that it's a step forward for modding support (or, at the very least, Terraria not being a nightmare to attempt to mod).

Now guys you need to hide some funny seeds to discover in the game ala Binding of Isaac :)

Anyway, just resurrected my old account in here to say big thanks guys, this is one of the greatest feature you put in the game

Indeed! It is an awesome opportunity for packs like Texture a Day Pack, Terrafine Project, Pixely Perfect and so many others(like your project @Techdude594 ) This is the beginning of a new era for both gamers and spriters.
Our pack (Someone else helps me), is now called KATTUI, Kiddles and Techdude's Terraria UI! This new feature will make everything so much easier! Don't have to use annoying converters any more! Hurrah!

i've noticed that items and npcs can be bigger then default with texture packs, but do the hitboxes stay the same or does it resize with the texture?

This actually remind me that first texture pack was about expanding female variant to vanity sets.
When I was only making these textures: Item (weapons,...) armors( too vanity items)

I already done some texturing little before this got released, I will try to test them tommorrow.
i've noticed that items and npcs can be bigger then default with texture packs, but do the hitboxes stay the same or does it resize with the texture?
I believe the hit boxes are in fact fixed.
Even you said it, I don't think it is possible. Since it only does to the non-animated projectiles and items,.... but I might be wrong, maybe you think differently.

This actually remind me that first texture pack was about expanding female variant to vanity sets.
When I was only making these textures: Item (weapons,...) armors( too vanity items)

I already done some texturing little before this got released, I will try to test them tommorrow.

Even you said it, I don't think it is possible. Since it only does to the non-animated projectiles and items,.... but I might be wrong, maybe you think differently.
I am quite confused by what you are on about. Are you saying that there are animated projectiles that can have their hit box changed? Apology for being a texture pack noob xS.

If texture packs are going to be a major thing in the coming updates I can see one pack that will be revived.
The Legend of Zelda pack, I remember using that pack back in 1.2 days of Terraria and loved the look of it.
So I'm hoping to see that pack be revived cause using that along with other packs would be great.

If texture packs are going to be a major thing in the coming updates I can see one pack that will be revived.
The Legend of Zelda pack, I remember using that pack back in 1.2 days of Terraria and loved the look of it.
So I'm hoping to see that pack be revived cause using that along with other packs would be great.
YES! That texture pack was beautiful back in the day! Also, the TaD pack (texture a day pack) would be great to see! This feature will revive the quiet texture pack community! I already know of 3 packs that are being developed as a result of this new feature!

I am falling love for the texture packs and world seeds, I never do the texture packs and world seeds on Terraria, this is my first time on this :D

I am falling love for the texture packs and world seeds, I never do the texture packs and world seeds on Terraria, this is my first time on this :D
World seeds are brand new with 1.3.4! However, texture packs have been around since the beginning of the game! Only now are they starting to get some love again!

"I haven't heard one way or another about that just yet!"

aahahaha

1) Can we make really tricked out worlds with a borked seed (like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" or a pacman 255 type deal)

2) are chests and things the same?

3) are devs planning on making their own texture options?

"I haven't heard one way or another about that just yet!"

aahahaha

1) Can we make really tricked out worlds with a borked seed (like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" or a pacman 255 type deal)

2) are chests and things the same?

3) are devs planning on making their own texture options?
1) The truth is we don't know! up until recently the game did not have a reliable randomization, which means seeds literally weren't a feature - even for us.

2) Yes, world generated with the same settings and seed will have the exact same locations and chests. (I hope <_<, it's experimental )

3) Right now we're focused on stabilizing 1.3.4 and getting more references/examples set up for the texture pack support, so this has not yet been determined.

That is pretty cool, if you don't mind me asking what values or strings do you suspect may cause interesting results? Since I'm turning on Experiments and going to gen some world seeds

I'm not a programmer though

Back
Top Bottom