1.3.0.3 Character and World Corrupted

Think I'm having this one, too.
Can I ask how the backup files work? It seems to me (I am NOT a programmer.) That this is caused by crash while saving; does the game try to write it's save files all at the same time? If so, and I guess this would change too much of the core prgramming, could it be changed to write and complete the player file, then world, one backup and finally the other?
Sorry for the long post. I can't remember how many player and world files I've lost... Though, when one gets corrupted the .bak is never there...
Are any of you modifying these files with third party software during/after/before using Terraria?

Are any of you modifying these files with third party software during/after/before using Terraria?

No, no mods or third party software. Which is why I asked about the file creation; not sure what else could destroy the main files and backups at the same time, except a virus but my virus scanner comes up with nothing. (Daily scans as default.)

This just happened to my world that I have spent countless hours working on.
The .bak file is corrupt as well.
Thankfully, I used TEdit to view the map on August 11th, which saved a .tmp file. I'm working on converting that into a .wld
This needs to be fixed, it only happens when the game exits while saving. If the game wrote to individual files instead of every file at the same time, this would not happen.

This just happened to my world that I have spent countless hours working on.
The .bak file is corrupt as well.
Thankfully, I used TEdit to view the map on August 11th, which saved a .tmp file. I'm working on converting that into a .wld
This needs to be fixed, it only happens when the game exits while saving. If the game wrote to individual files instead of every file at the same time, this would not happen.

Please let us know if this works for you.
just by the way; did you character get wiped as well?

Fortunately, my character did not get wiped.
I fixed my world (albeit a few hours of progress were gone) by opening the .tmp autosave created by TEdit in TEdit, saving it as a file with a different name (for example, X.tmp gets saved as Y.wld), and then renaming it back to the original name. You also need to create a .bak file.
[doublepost=1471148678,1471148577][/doublepost]This has happened to me 4 times before, and it's always due to a crash or closure of the game during an autosave.

Fortunately, my character did not get wiped.
I fixed my world (albeit a few hours of progress were gone) by opening the .tmp autosave created by TEdit in TEdit, saving it as a file with a different name (for example, X.tmp gets saved as Y.wld), and then renaming it back to the original name. You also need to create a .bak file.
[doublepost=1471148678,1471148577][/doublepost]This has happened to me 4 times before, and it's always due to a crash or closure of the game during an autosave.

Thank you for the information.

Just a work around but I've taken to making a backup folder in my worlds and player location and copying the files over whenever I finish playing. Bit of a pain but at least you only lose one session.
(I say 'only' bit it's surprising how much you can do in one session. And how upsetting losing that can be.)

I have this problem for my World and none of the solutions work, I do not have cloud on and it's really disappointing because I've worked really hard on my world. Is there any other solution to this problem?

I have this problem for my World and none of the solutions work, I do not have cloud on and it's really disappointing because I've worked really hard on my world. Is there any other solution to this problem?

As far as I can tell, no. It seems that when this occurs it destroys all the files involved so, unless you have a version Terriara can't touch, it's over.

To be honest, while I said about manually backing up files earlier, which does work, I've not played much lately. Just for this reason: I even named my last character 'Hopeless' because I knew this glitch would kill them in the end... And it did.
While I do have a backup file for that character it's a good day older and... Well, we all know how much we can accomplish in a day...

Sorry for the ramble. Basically, start afresh. Build something bigger and better and don't forget to backup!

Well I don't know anything about how to restore my corrupted files, but I believe I got to root of how my character and map was corrupted in the first place. I use a laptop, a Toshiba. It was all going well until the laptop stopped coming out of sleep mode. I'd have my game open, mainly because I would die and I would have to go to work, so my theory was come back and get my gold drops later. I was having no problem with this, then like a couple of days ago, it was taking a lot of effort to wake up, until I finally had to reboot. I'd get it booted up, the game would be exited but I hadn't lost any progress because of the auto save. Well yesterday came around and it really had trouble coming out of sleep. Multiple reboots... blah blah blah. Well come to play today and my character and world is fried. At first I came to these forums, hoping to salvage my hard work. But then as the problem presisted, I was like what's the difference if I can barely get this thing on. So I was just on the toshiba forum going through like three years of this being a persistent problem with several different toshiba models, windows 8-10, with no real solutions. So there in lies my reason for the corruption, the game being dropped or shut off improperly. Not something I think the developers should be blamed for. Maybe go back and think if this may be the root of how your files got corrupted.

Well I don't know anything about how to restore my corrupted files, but I believe I got to root of how my character and map was corrupted in the first place. I use a laptop, a Toshiba. It was all going well until the laptop stopped coming out of sleep mode. I'd have my game open, mainly because I would die and I would have to go to work, so my theory was come back and get my gold drops later. I was having no problem with this, then like a couple of days ago, it was taking a lot of effort to wake up, until I finally had to reboot. I'd get it booted up, the game would be exited but I hadn't lost any progress because of the auto save. Well yesterday came around and it really had trouble coming out of sleep. Multiple reboots... blah blah blah. Well come to play today and my character and world is fried. At first I came to these forums, hoping to salvage my hard work. But then as the problem presisted, I was like what's the difference if I can barely get this thing on. So I was just on the toshiba forum going through like three years of this being a persistent problem with several different toshiba models, windows 8-10, with no real solutions. So there in lies my reason for the corruption, the game being dropped or shut off improperly. Not something I think the developers should be blamed for. Maybe go back and think if this may be the root of how your files got corrupted.

I don't think anyone on this thread was blamming anyone. Computers crash; such is life. I, and I feel the others here, are just trying to find a way to recover from that. As it's probably not possible to prevent.

A change to the file control system was one of the suggestions; Re-Logic could consider that, for Otherworld if not Terriaria itself. I would neither ask, nor expect, them to stop every computer crash. Most of them are probably due to Microsoft or Linux, etc, problems anyway.

If anyone thought I was 'having a go' then I really am sorry; it was not my intent.

I don't think anyone on this thread was blamming anyone. Computers crash; such is life. I, and I feel the others here, are just trying to find a way to recover from that. As it's probably not possible to prevent.

A change to the file control system was one of the suggestions; Re-Logic could consider that, for Otherworld if not Terriaria itself. I would neither ask, nor expect, them to stop every computer crash. Most of them are probably due to Microsoft or Linux, etc, problems anyway.

If anyone thought I was 'having a go' then I really am sorry; it was not my intent.
.NET has a gimmicky way of crashing since that is what Terraria uses, Otherworld will not be using this from what I can tell. So crashes will be much less likely.

this happened to me but when i restarted terraria, it launched it a windows 7 window??? I am currently running windows 10 like wtf

I have had my 1.3.4 world deleted. i was just passed golem and had a lot of progress on my character, but the world in question has all my best builds of houses on it. i was on steam in offline mode and no cloud save was activated, yet my character was blank as this image above, same with my world. i could never get back my progress without help and i have no idea what is going on. HELP ME!
[doublepost=1480022254,1480022094][/doublepost]
I have a problem, I know there is the "Restore previous version" But there are no previous versions! The files are STILL there. Also changing .wld.bak to .wld had no effect. Help please? Also, this is the FOURTH world that this has happened to. Every world I play on for about more than 40 hours does this. It is SOOOO Annoying... Character is fine though.
this is my first pair of character/world this has happened to but i am worried it will happen again. i also did the .wld change to no avail. and there IS NO RESTORE PREVIOUS VERSION. i am on windows 10. and my player HAS NO .BAK FILE
[doublepost=1480022414][/doublepost]
mine did, and my world

Does anyone have a fix for this or any way to prevent this from happening?
I don't know of a fix but backing you save files up (manually) seems to be the only workround.
As for you windows 7 window for the game; is that a type of compatablity system in win10? If you got that sorted can you let us know. If not, have you tried checking the games installation files through Steam/gog, etc.

I AM FUGGING SCREAMING. THIS MAKES NO GODDAMN SENSE! F#######!
[doublepost=1480481199,1480481170][/doublepost]I

CANNOT DO THIS! GODDAMIT HELP!

If you've lost the .bak files due to a crash then the world/player files are probably corupt. It seems that a crash during saving causes this.
Unless you've got some other copy of those files, possibly from window backup, there's no way (that I know of) to recover.

I think I have lost 7 or 8 players and worlds to this. All you can do is start again. I, as a matter of course, now make a 'backup' folder in both the player and worlds folders. At the end of each play when the game has saved and closed I copy the player, world and both .bak files into it.

It's a workaround, not a cure.
The cure would be to ensure your computer never, ever, crashes. But I don't think that's possible...

If a Dev could comment then that would be nice; perhaps you could give us some advice?

Sorry for the long post, also I'm only guessing you queston from your post a little further up the page.

Edit:
Forgot to mention; when you save and exit to the title screen, give the game 10-15 seconds before closing it down. Closing it faster seems to cause a crash. Perhaps because it's still working on files? I'm not a programmer so only a thought...

Last edited:
I wonder if some of these people that experience these things put their computer in standby while the game is running. If they do then they shouldn't. Some programs do not like being suspended.

I also wonder if some don't have administrator rights. Especially the people that lose progress every time they run the game. It feels like Windows is basically stopping Terraria from saving things. "Sorry, Terraria, no permissions for you to write in this folder." Although I doubt this is the case, any user has the rights to store files in their own documents folder, right? :indifferent:

Good thought.
I know I don't suspend/standyby/sleep or hibernate my machine, and I do have admin rights, But this isn't, I think, caused by one single issue.

I AM FUGGING SCREAMING. THIS MAKES NO GODDAMN SENSE! :red:CCCK!
[doublepost=1480481199,1480481170][/doublepost]I

CANNOT DO THIS! GODDAMIT HELP!
Please stop yelling. I know it can be frustrating to lose your player or world data. I don't know the answer to your problem, if someone does know they'll post, but please be patient.

And in the meantime, start making manual backups like Daz suggested. It's a good practice for computer data in general.

Back
Top Bottom