tModLoader Expeditions Mod - Modular Quest System

Flashkirby99

Skeletron
vZ1SIex.png

Base v2.3, for tModLoader v0.10.0.1
Content v1.2.2, for tModLoader v0.10.0.1
Mod Status: On Hiatus
(until end of 2018, or when I actually have a significant chunk of time to work on something like this again)

KNOWN BUGS:
GUI becomes unclickable, try alt-tabbing out and back in again. Seems to work for most people.
Random Item Boxes give progression breaking items (randomly!)
Quests are sometimes uncompleteable in multiplayer (try reconnecting)
Default position doesn't support ultrawide screen (try dragging the window)
Camera works weird underwater (I actually don't even know)
Photos and Magic Storage mod don't mix well (avoid putting photos in magic storage for now)

. . .

Both the base mod and the content mod are a demonstration of an idea so expect issues, there is a plan to update them to work better and less buggy and maybe just a complete rewrite.

NTuIyNP.png

What is it?
Add Expeditions, a quest system accesible via the Expedition Board craftable tile.
Framework Features:
  • Client-side quest viewing, tracking and completion.
  • Progress is saved per-player.
  • 'Fancy' UI for handling the above.
  • Lists for delivering and rewards items.
  • Up to 3 customisable conditions and 1 counter per quests.
  • Daily random quest system, saved to world and net-synced.
  • Custom currency 'Expedition Coupon' and related methods.
  • Loot boxes that use an item pool generated from all installed mods.
  • Hooks for detecting various things.
  • Autoloading expeditions.
  • Semantic time checking information.
  • Bugs and glitches!
The main content addon for the Expeditions Base mod. A work in progress.
  • 54 Main Quests provided by the Guide, up to Moonlord.
  • 69 Cycling daily quests.
  • 37 Sidequests, up to Mechanical Bosses.
  • 26 Photo quests, up to end of Pre-Hardmode.
  • Clerk NPC that sells expedition-unlockable items.
  • Take photos of enemies because you can!
  • Special expedition items that display extra map information.
  • Quest-unlocked early game weapon for Melee, Ranged, Magic and Summon.

. . .

The base mod comes with nothing particularly interesting on its own, but other things extend off it.

ENmCjO6.png
Expeditions Board:
Crafted from 20 wood, allows access to expeditions list. You can turn in mod quests and such here.

4zsAdoH.png
Expedition Log: Manage tracking on your expeditions without having to check at a board.

fERQ5rM.png
Expedition Coupon: Custom currency for use with any shop that wants to use it.

0gRcpnE.png
Rusted Box,
mDBKInQ.png
Relic Box
Rewards a set of random pre/post hardmode items.
Item pool is uses all items, including modded items, based on rarity.
Will not reward certain tiers of items until conditions are met.

. . .

cV2Vuwb.png

The Clerk
Spawns when a player has at least: 120 life, 20 mana, 6 defence.
Allows access to expeditions, same as the expeditions board.
Also sells various items, most of which must be unlocked by completing certain quests,
and almost all items sold use Expedition Coupons as currency.

. . .

wGg3q4F.png
zEPVFtv.png
d0PX518.png

Cameras
: You can take pictures of almost any NPC. Used in conjuction with 'Snap!' quests to compile albums!
EDk9VtT.png

(you know you want to collect all this trash)

. . .

Expeditions Quest Content
The main bulk of this mod (and where you'll find most of the bugs).

Guide.png
Progression Quests

Provided by the Guide, though he doesn't need to be around for them to be cleared. Contains general progression tips and direction with mainly monetary reward for completion.

Clerk Sidequests

Covers various side-tracking and exploration related activities, such as saving 'optional' NPCs and finding cool things not directly related to advancing.

Clerk 'Snap!' Quests
Photo sidequests that involve the camera mechanic, and hunting down various enemies to take photos centred on a theme.

Daily Quests: A random quest becomes active every day, across a range of NPCs and activities:
  • Guide: Boss challenges require defeating a boss within specified constraints such as time.
  • Clerk: Take a photo of specific enemy.
  • Merchant: Looking for certain items or furniture sets to sell overseas.
  • Dye Trader: Specific mix of gradient dye colours.
Traveling_Merchant.png
Travelling Merchant Trades

Whenever he arrives, various once-per-visit trade options will be available until he leaves. This allows access to corruption/crimson counterparts at a price, as well as other random items.

Misc NPC Quests
Various NPCs have been given mostly flavourful quests that range from the Tavernkeep's DD2 invasions to the Dryad with her herbal advice.

. . .

Quest Unlockables
These items must all be unlocked by completing appropriate quests, and usually appear in the Clerk's store or as a reward.

PJiTI5q.png
m2nUfYZ.png
tHx4Xrq.png

ZNefPHz.png
eCQ0QYc.png

BT6OorZ.png
K0TWdK1.png

vih4NUD.png

Wayfarer's Weapons
Low-tier equivalents for each main class (sorry throwers) sold by the Clerk.

. . .

KtXrgyx.png
Heart Locket
: Grants temporary 20 max life.

Map Information Items
iNXIiem.png

These items reveal various items in the full/world map when near them.

iBZ8xnX.png
Stargazing Telescope
: Furniture, functions as a scope when next to it and reveals Falling Stars.
O2Kbb0R.png
Heart Compass
: Reveals nearby Heart Crystals.
tWqPnJT.png
Enchanted Lens
: Reveals nearby Life Fruits.
pqmzOG1.png
Enchanted Shrine Map
: Reveals enchanted sword shrines.

. . .

U6c5aSK.png
Prefix Applicator: Applies a set prefix to an accessory. (Not obtainable yet but it works)

@orian34 Made another addon, Expeditions Addon : Interactions, for extra NPC quest, collectothons and more!
Post | Download Page

. . .

Make your own Extension!
Supports adding your own custom expeditions.
A tutorial will go here eventually, but there is a template which includes a .dll file for referencing (with XML comments!).
You can also check out how I write all the expeditions used in the content pack here.

Want to write your own quests to work with this mod? This tutorial is based on visual studios, and assumes you know some basic C# programming.

What you'll need:
  • Expeditions Base
  • Expeditions.dll file (available in template)

Setup:
  • Set your mod to either reference or weak reference the expeditions mod in build.txt, read more about that here.
  • Set up a reference to expeditions for your .csproj, using the DLL.
  • The template mod has this already set up - if you want to edit from that, make sure to change the assembly name and default namespace of the project (select your project, ALT+ENTER)
TODO: How to write a quest
TODO: Useful Methods and example explanations

. . .

Possibly very slightly unstable. I am only partially responsible for any mishap that should fall upon you whilst using this mod.

DOWNLOAD Base v2.3
DOWNLOAD Content Pack v1.2.2
via Mediafire
or
via Mod Browser

Flashkirby99 - I am making this mod.
@jopojelly - Additional advice on mod referencing and .tmod usage
@Supeh Mario - Original sprite for fox familiar.
@Eli10293 - Resprite of Wayfarer's Cane.
@Zoomo - Allowing use of Telescope sprite (with modification)

Special Thanks to the following for their support and feedback:
@Iara
@Cheezegami
@updatedude
@Guthlx
@LordReaper
@N1cknamed
@RexodinoLP
@Sapharan
@Sos339
And anyone else I can't remember aaahhhh

Want to get a quicker answer from me?
Fire away on discord!

Visit the Github Repository here!
Content Pack Repo here!

Expeditions.png

ExpeditionsContent.png

Last edited:
vZ1SIex.png

WIP, for tModLoader v0.8.3.5

What is it?
GNA20PN.png

It also saves progress and stuff and is extensible.

. . .

Make your own Extension!
Supports adding your own custom expeditions, but it won't save progress for them yet if they get disabled... A tutorial and template will go here eventually.
. . .

Download
In development, but should be stable soon™.

Any sprites that need work?

vZ1SIex.png

WIP, for tModLoader v0.8.3.5

What is it?
GNA20PN.png

It also saves progress and stuff and is extensible.

. . .

Make your own Extension!
Supports adding your own custom expeditions, but it won't save progress for them yet if they get disabled... A tutorial and template will go here eventually.
. . .

Download
In development, but should be stable soon™.

>NTerraria: Be more and more obsolete everyday due to TModLoader mods.

>NTerraria: Be more and more obsolete everyday due to TModLoader mods.
Man, I remember that, it's still going strong isn't it? I'm aware of quite a few different implementations of this idea, across various different mods. While N Terraria packages a quest system with its story telling, this is just a really simple modular test I'm experimenting with which happens to be for tModLoader.

Still, if you want an fully modded, less buggy overhaul of Terraria, standalones are still the way to go for consistencies sake.

Man, I remember that, it's still going strong isn't it? I'm aware of quite a few different implementations of this idea, across various different mods. While N Terraria packages a quest system with its story telling, this is just a really simple modular test I'm experimenting with which happens to be for tModLoader.

Still, if you want an fully modded, less buggy overhaul of Terraria, standalones are still the way to go for consistencies sake.
They removed the bunny class so I'm not playing anymore :/

I haven't been distracted by winter festivities at all...
Mod is released, though not much content other than the framework. I will probably build my own extension for this at some point but it's mainly a proof of concept.

Ooh, something like Hardcore Questing Mode for Terraria, this looks great!

(Note, HQM is a mod for Minecraft that adds a quest system)

Hi, I just downloaded and played this mod. I love it, it adds a lot of personality and helps as far as progression go. However, it's bugged out by the 4th quest.

At the 4th quest, which is to visit the dungeon, my game semi-froze and the wood in my inventory just kept bugging out, with the value fluctuating rapidly. In fact, looking at the screenshot attached, it seems I somehow got 999 wood as well?

Anyway, I exited the map, then came back to do the fourth mission. Which should have auto-completed, but it didn't. This is a post-Moon Lord map, so there's no talking to the Clothier at the entrance here.

Hopefully the bugs will get ironed out as the Expedition Board etc is pretty much perfect for the Adventurer's Tavern WIP you see in the screenshot.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,761
Hi, I just downloaded and played this mod. I love it, it adds a lot of personality and helps as far as progression go. However, it's bugged out by the 4th quest.

At the 4th quest, which is to visit the dungeon, my game semi-froze and the wood in my inventory just kept bugging out, with the value fluctuating rapidly. In fact, looking at the screenshot attached, it seems I somehow got 999 wood as well?

Anyway, I exited the map, then came back to do the fourth mission. Which should have auto-completed, but it didn't. This is a post-Moon Lord map, so there's no talking to the Clothier at the entrance here.

Hopefully the bugs will get ironed out as the Expedition Board etc is pretty much perfect for the Adventurer's Tavern WIP you see in the screenshot.
^ I experienced an infinite stack of wood as a reward for the 3rd quest, trying to pick it up semi-freezes the game and rapidly fills the inventory with wood.
Edit: I also notice some of the GUI elements disappear when hovering over the wood reward, there might be a syntax error with the specified amount.

Yes. But not very polished: All the expeditions are local but the conditions to achieve each of them are irrespective of other players. There's also a partyshare boolean available for custom expeditions that force-completes the expeditions for other people on your team when you do. It's not ideal, I could probably work on the multiplayer aspect a bit more at some point.

Back
Top Bottom