tModLoader Prefixes for Enemies

I have found one bug. At active mod, event Old One's Army not spawn monsters. It is their spawn only when the player approaches closely the portal.

I've run in to this to, I'm wondering of the strange portals spawning with prefixes is causing it. Monsters will only spawn if the player is within ~5-10 blocks on the portal and despawn if the player moves away.

I've tested this in a fresh world with prefixes deactivated and the event worked fine suggesting that this mod is the cause.

yes, i am sure, unless its something wrong with how i set it up, or another mod conflict, but it only affects Cheezes + cosmetic Variety or enemy prefixes. i can activate Cheezes and cosmetic variety, works fine, but if i activate enemy prefixes, it automatically de-activates cheezes and cosmetic variety along with an error report.
upload_2016-12-17_13-7-22.png
upload_2016-12-17_13-8-5.png

I have it enabled and it for some reason takes away my toolbar. I can't use escape to get to menu. Only thing I can do is force close and open back up and just disable it. Then everything goes back to normal. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. Ill try and post any proof when I can, might be sometime tomorrow. Fixing to hit the bed :)

I have it enabled and it for some reason takes away my toolbar. I can't use escape to get to menu. Only thing I can do is force close and open back up and just disable it. Then everything goes back to normal. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. Ill try and post any proof when I can, might be sometime tomorrow. Fixing to hit the bed :)

I was having the same issue with the mod as well. I went through all my mods with Prefixes to figure out which one was having conflict. I found out that when I have Tremor, Calamity, and Thorium running, Prefixes bugs out my UI (same thing as you stated above). As of right now, we have to run our server without prefixes. =(

Last edited:
It appears the whole thing with the old one's army has been noticed already...
I have an update on the whole thing from testing with two full fights under the restrictions given by this mod:
If you leave an area of 10-15 blocks of an Old One's Army enemy, it despawns, not just never coming from the portal, they just disappear if you get too far (resulting in a hell of a time trying to kill an ogre)

Hello, users seem to have found a conflict beween our mods, I haven't been able to reproduce the error. But as far as the errors have told me it seems to effect the Bone Fish (An undead piranha in the Dungeon) added in my mod. I hope to fix this as soon as possible, it would be great if users could play both our mods at the same time. :)

I believe there is a conflict with mods that use the CopyDefaults() parameter to get certain vanilla monster stats and AI parameters, which in my case would be a Piranha.

Last edited:
Hello, users seem to have found a conflict beween our mods, I haven't been able to reproduce the error. But as far as the errors have told me it seems to effect the Bone Fish (An undead piranha in the Dungeon) added in my mod. I hope to fix this as soon as possible, it would be great if users could play both our mods at the same time. :)

I believe there is a conflict with mods that use the CopyDefaults() parameter to get certain vanilla monster stats and AI parameters, which in my case would be a Piranha.
The line within my mod that throws this error is within SetDefaults, and I believe it's the first time it gets a parameter from "npc," npc.name. The error message leads me to believe that when SetDefaults is called for these custom NPCs, my mod's SetDefaults override is getting passed in a null NPC object, for some reason. This could be a tModLoader issue that just happens to come up with this specific combination of circumstances - if I'm interpreting the error right, the problem isn't within my SetDefaults, but what gets passed to it. If you could reproduce it, I'd ask you to rewrite the NPC's SetDefaults to exclude that CloneDefaults() call, but we can't be sure that's the issue if you aren't getting the error anyway.

@bluemagic123: Could this be a tModLoader issue?

The line within my mod that throws this error is within SetDefaults, and I believe it's the first time it gets a parameter from "npc," npc.name. The error message leads me to believe that when SetDefaults is called for these custom NPCs, my mod's SetDefaults override is getting passed in a null NPC object, for some reason. This could be a tModLoader issue that just happens to come up with this specific combination of circumstances - if I'm interpreting the error right, the problem isn't within my SetDefaults, but what gets passed to it. If you could reproduce it, I'd ask you to rewrite the NPC's SetDefaults to exclude that CloneDefaults() call, but we can't be sure that's the issue if you aren't getting the error anyway.

@bluemagic123: Could this be a tModLoader issue?
I can atleast see if I really need that CloneDefaults in the first place, since I have already defined almost everything I need by hand, still, that wouldn't solve the root of the problem. It would be really useful if one of us could reproduce the error in any way.
Edit: Removing the CloneDefaults() makes the fish sink, both AiType and AiStyle don't seem to resolve this issue. :'/

Last edited:
I was having the same issue with the mod as well. I went through all my mods with Prefixes to figure out which one was having conflict. I found out that when I have Tremor, Calamity, and Thorium running, Prefixes bugs out my UI (same thing as you stated above). As of right now, we have to run our server without prefixes. =(
Yup, those are the three I have running as well when it bugs out the UI. :\

I can atleast see if I really need that CloneDefaults in the first place, since I have already defined almost everything I need by hand, still, that wouldn't solve the root of the problem. It would be really useful if one of us could reproduce the error in any way.
Edit: Removing the CloneDefaults() makes the fish sink, both AiType and AiStyle don't seem to resolve this issue. :'/
I'm going to add a null check to my SetDefaults, which will hopefully solve the issue. Unfortunately I have a big chunk of in-progress material that will keep me from publishing a new version for a while.

I'm going to add a null check to my SetDefaults, which will hopefully solve the issue. Unfortunately I have a big chunk of in-progress material that will keep me from publishing a new version for a while.

Take ur Time, aslong the Quality will be good in the end peopel can bring some patience to u <3

I'll see if I can find a workaround for the CloneDefaults until then.
Edit: Okay, found a way to not make use of the CloneDefaults for the BoneFish, hopefully you can find a solution for your part as well soon. ;-)

Last edited:
I just made an account to tell you this mod is amazing! However: Can there please be an option to disable the extra loot and rare enemies altogether?

I really would like to not deal with them. I am playing with Jopojelly's item checklist and those items aren't of my liking. (And to be bluntly honest, I don't think the items in your mod fit in the game, and are kind of unbalanced)

Can there be a way to remove Rare enemies, if one wants them to? Or, at the very least, replace their effects to something less gamebreaking (Boost massively the coins they drop).

I just made an account to tell you this mod is amazing! However: Can there please be an option to disable the extra loot and rare enemies altogether?

I really would like to not deal with them. I am playing with Jopojelly's item checklist and those items aren't of my liking. (And to be bluntly honest, I don't think the items in your mod fit in the game, and are kind of unbalanced)

Can there be a way to remove Rare enemies, if one wants them to? Or, at the very least, replace their effects to something less gamebreaking (Boost massively the coins they drop).
You can unpack the .tmod file with tModReader, make any changes you like to the code, and rebuild it into your own personal build if you like. Removing rare enemies would be as simple as changing or removing the bit in gNPC where "Rare" is added to the name and prefix list of an npc. That wouldn't remove the items you can get from them from the game files, but they would become unobtainable. There are already quite a number of unobtainable items in this mod, actually - in progress or abandoned projects. You could go further and just delete the entire items folder for your personal build.

Edit: Since it will probably come up, I won't be releasing and maintaining multiple builds myself, at least not until I decide I'm done developing the mod.

Out of curiosity, what items do you take issue with? I haven't gotten balance feedback in ages.

This mod is absolutely amazing! It adds to the variety in enemies that I was looking for. Have you ever considered creating perhaps some sort of method of spawning custom enemies with prefixes, maybe a cheat extension for the mod Cheat Sheet?

You can unpack the .tmod file with tModReader, make any changes you like to the code, and rebuild it into your own personal build if you like. Removing rare enemies would be as simple as changing or removing the bit in gNPC where "Rare" is added to the name and prefix list of an npc. That wouldn't remove the items you can get from them from the game files, but they would become unobtainable. There are already quite a number of unobtainable items in this mod, actually - in progress or abandoned projects. You could go further and just delete the entire items folder for your personal build.

Edit: Since it will probably come up, I won't be releasing and maintaining multiple builds myself, at least not until I decide I'm done developing the mod.

Out of curiosity, what items do you take issue with? I haven't gotten balance feedback in ages.

I will have to try that. But is it there also a way to remove all the items too? I cannot use the mod sadly due to the items you added. And I really wanted to play with enemy prefixes.
I don't like most of the melee items or ammo. When a mod items seems so much better than the main game items, then we have a problem. Would rather not deal with the whole item-related aspect of the mod altogether, and only have the enemies changed for difficulty sake.

And I know I can ignore the items if they are not of my liking, but the problem is that it messes with Jopojelly's item checklist. And it makes it seem like I am missing some items in my collection.

This mod is absolutely amazing! It adds to the variety in enemies that I was looking for. Have you ever considered creating perhaps some sort of method of spawning custom enemies with prefixes, maybe a cheat extension for the mod Cheat Sheet?

Considered, but I'm not personally invested in the idea. If there was a lot of demand, I might add in some text command system, but any system would be a little awkward and hard to make user-friendly.

I will have to try that. But is it there also a way to remove all the items too? I cannot use the mod sadly due to the items you added. And I really wanted to play with enemy prefixes.
I don't like most of the melee items or ammo. When a mod items seems so much better than the main game items, then we have a problem. Would rather not deal with the whole item-related aspect of the mod altogether, and only have the enemies changed for difficulty sake.

And I know I can ignore the items if they are not of my liking, but the problem is that it messes with Jopojelly's item checklist. And it makes it seem like I am missing some items in my collection.

Like I said, you can probably just delete the items folder for your build. I'm not certain it would cause no issues, but I think that it should be fine so long as rare enemies are disabled as well.

I'd love to have some configuration options, I've seen some mods with JSON files to alter some settings, perhaps this is something to look into.
Certain options could be to enable or disable certain prefixes, the frequency of them, and maybe the amount of damage for example reflected bullets do.

Back
Top Bottom