PC Melee weapons

Flairon is an awesome flail. The Horseman's Blade is also awesome if you know how to use it. The Terra Blade is overrated.

Ever notice how starting with 1.1 some of the more powerful Melee weapons had projectiles? And how this trend became more pronounced starting with 1.2? I've worked out a reason as to why this might be so.

See, back in the olden days where Skeletron was the hardest boss, it was generally pretty safe to get close to most enemies, and you could survive a few hits, especially with the highest-defense armor at the time, the Melee-oriented Molten armor.
But with the introduction of Hardmode and the addition of increasingly more difficult enemies, there started to be a greater rift between how much damage enemies could inflict and how much damage you could mitigate with your defense stat.
Basically, as the developers added more stuff, it became more and more dangerous to get right next to enemies, especially bosses. So instead of giving Melee armors absurdly high defense compared to other armors, they instead made Melee weapons have longer range to make it easier to avoid attacks. This, of course, compensates for the fact that, in the bigger picture, Melee users are almost as squishy as Ranged and Magic users. Even with percent-based damage reductions, you still can die pretty fast if you're not careful.

So yeah, that's my analysis of the issue.

Ever notice how starting with 1.1 some of the more powerful Melee weapons had projectiles? And how this trend became more pronounced starting with 1.2? I've worked out a reason as to why this might be so.

See, back in the olden days where Skeletron was the hardest boss, it was generally pretty safe to get close to most enemies, and you could survive a few hits, especially with the highest-defense armor at the time, the Melee-oriented Molten armor.
But with the introduction of Hardmode and the addition of increasingly more difficult enemies, there started to be a greater rift between how much damage enemies could inflict and how much damage you could mitigate with your defense stat.
Basically, as the developers added more stuff, it became more and more dangerous to get right next to enemies, especially bosses. So instead of giving Melee armors absurdly high defense compared to other armors, they instead made Melee weapons have longer range to make it easier to avoid attacks. This, of course, compensates for the fact that, in the bigger picture, Melee users are almost as squishy as Ranged and Magic users. Even with percent-based damage reductions, you still can die pretty fast if you're not careful.

So yeah, that's my analysis of the issue.
most the hardmode spears are a good alternative, and having absurdly high defense is something I'd want to see, jk, but it'd be funny to look at the dungeon guardian doing only 600 or so damage instead of 6000, another way to counter this is by having an HP beyond 500 without pots.

I dunno.. Melee weapons have become too much... i have always played melee, but i would like it to return back to actual "melee"... all these projectiles are nice but it removes the feeling of "melee" and more of a "ranged-strike" feel....

The vision of ordinary melle - in expert or against bosses is almost impossible. The end-game things closest to a melee are weapons such as the solar eruption and then - it still has a big range. There is just no such a think as an end-game short-ranged melee weapon that would work out. I know this is dissapoiting, but then - bosses are immune to damage and there's no super powerful armor to protect you enough to get close to some of the more difficult enemies.

The vision of ordinary melle - in expert or against bosses is almost impossible. The end-game things closest to a melee are weapons such as the solar eruption and then - it still has a big range. There is just no such a think as an end-game short-ranged melee weapon that would work out. I know this is dissapoiting, but then - bosses are immune to damage and there's no super powerful armor to protect you enough to get close to some of the more difficult enemies.
unfortunately true... still wouldve been nice

i had the hardest time with Skeletron Prime. I ended up having to grind for bananarangs.
yes of course... skeletron is a :red: on a normal basis, then theres skeletron prime..... i would've suggested The amarok yoyo or if you have defeated the other mech bosses then excalibur (true excalibur if your lucky enough to have gotten a broken heroes sword from a present in christmas or by some other means i have yet to figure out)
That is the easiest way to defeat him with melee...

Back
Top Bottom