3DS Terraria 3DS 1.04 - issues thread

Heres a few very random bugs I've noticed
1. Giant trees often spawn with a random wood block sticking out for apparently no reason (only checked on n3dsxl normal world size)
2. When crafting night's edge for some reason the fiery greatsword format is different than the other, its hard to explain. Just check it out. Its a minor bug that doesn't do anything.(tested on n3dsxl)
Seems that updating to 1.0.5 cuts off access to n3ds controls like the thumb circle pad or the zr/zl buttons until you restart your system.. odd.

Last thing : I feel like rarity in this game is completely off, or atleast for me. For starters, drax in shadowchest (ok, not bad.).
Finding crimson keymold without even trying on 2nd hardmode day (okay thats pretty lucky I guess)
Finding broken hero sword on 2nd eclipse (cool cool noice)
Finding LUCKY COIN ON THE FIRST TIME I HAVE A PIRATE EVENT (uhhh.. am I supposed to be getting this lucky?)
And then finding a beam sword casually without really trying.
What I'm trying to say is that it feels like rarity in this game is completely off, either that or I'm extremely lucky..

Honestly, that giant tree glitch has been there ever since the game came out on 3ds. It doesn't happen in every world, but happens in most (I noticed it especially when I made hundreds of worlds to try to find flippers in the first version to see if the flippers really were glitched and unavailable, or were just super rare).

Since the team always focused on the bigger bugs though, I never mentioned the tree glitch since it doesn't really affect the game much.

About the second point...you are just too lucky

Honestly, that giant tree glitch has been there ever since the game came out on 3ds. It doesn't happen in every world, but happens in most (I noticed it especially when I made hundreds of worlds to try to find flippers in the first version to see if the flippers really were glitched and unavailable, or were just super rare).

Since the team always focused on the bigger bugs though, I never mentioned the tree glitch since it doesn't really affect the game much.
yeah thats why I mentionned it as a smaller bug.. not to say "hey get on it devs" but just so "hey just so you know thats a thing that happens"

quick question, although it is probably unlikely.

But, since the 3ds version uses the touch screen very well for building and makes it quite easy to do, will more building materials from 1.2.4 + ever be added? Or is there just not enough space at all..?
I personally like using the 3ds for building in terraria more than other versions, is that just me?
Anyway, I hope I don't sound naggy, I just want to know if it is possible, not if it will happen.

Heres a few very random bugs I've noticed
1. Giant trees often spawn with a random wood block sticking out for apparently no reason (only checked on n3dsxl normal world size)
2. When crafting night's edge for some reason the fiery greatsword format is different than the other, its hard to explain. Just check it out. Its a minor bug that doesn't do anything.(tested on n3dsxl)
Seems that updating to 1.0.5 cuts off access to n3ds controls like the thumb circle pad or the zr/zl buttons until you restart your system.. odd.

Last thing : I feel like rarity in this game is completely off, or atleast for me. For starters, drax in shadowchest (ok, not bad.).
Finding crimson keymold without even trying on 2nd hardmode day (okay thats pretty lucky I guess)
Finding broken hero sword on 2nd eclipse (cool cool noice)
Finding LUCKY COIN ON THE FIRST TIME I HAVE A PIRATE EVENT (uhhh.. am I supposed to be getting this lucky?)
And then finding a beam sword casually without really trying.
What I'm trying to say is that it feels like rarity in this game is completely off, either that or I'm extremely lucky..

you're just very lucky... I'm not that lucky unfortunately. only found 1 broken sword in the 3 eclipses I've been in.

quick question, although it is probably unlikely.

But, since the 3ds version uses the touch screen very well for building and makes it quite easy to do, will more building materials from 1.2.4 + ever be added? Or is there just not enough space at all..?
I personally like using the 3ds for building in terraria more than other versions, is that just me?
Anyway, I hope I don't sound naggy, I just want to know if it is possible, not if it will happen.

yeah the 3DS version is extremely good for building. I love it so much. I hope we get some more stuff too. but my top wishlist items are the beetle wings and the solar tablet :)

I just hope they add everything they can add from pre 1.3
Just realized Santa doesn't sell all of the things he sells in other versions. Really wanted to decorate a Christmas tree.

Last edited:
I just hope they add everything they can add from pre 1.3
Just realized Santa doesn't sell all of the things he sells in other versions. Really wanted to decorate a Christmas tree.

It's going to be impossible to do that. Unless they decide to ditch the O3DS version and just focus on N3DS exclusive updates but that's unlikely as well since A) there would be complications from the N3DS/O3DS differences and B) even then the game's just about chock full as it is. Anymore and the 3DS will likely break at the seams.

Having the exact same problem with my main world.. And according to others, you won't be able to fix it.
What update do you have and did this start happening on v 1.0.5 for you? Because no one has answered wether or not this has been fixed in the latest patch.
I believe it happened in 1.03, but the world was created on the initial release.

I do have the 1.0.5 and it still is broken. Guess I'll have to restart with a new world. Fortunately, I had my bone key on my character and not on the world.

Last edited:
Hi, I bought the 3DS version when it was released. I've always wondered why there's no online multiplayer support? This is a bit unfair, as I know many people (including myself) do have the game, but no one near them does. And of course, Terraria is quite fun when you're playing with good friends.
Deanzor, would you mind informing me of why this is the way it is?

Hype

I'm not sure unfair is the right sentiment here. If you've gone into 3DS expecting it to be a 1:1 port of the PC experience, there was no way we could ever achieve that. I think we've been pretty upfront about that fact. The 3DS is much less powerful than than even old smartphones like the iPhone 4. We make the compromises we had to make to get onto the platform while delivering an authentic experience. Any feature in a game costs you an amount of time and money, and for various reasons online multiplayer didn't make the cut.

The one thing we can guarantee is that the single player game will get played, so we focused there. Nintendo 3DS online play isn't as widespread as it is on home consoles and PC. Also, Nintendo is VERY strict when it comes to users being able to share user generated content. And with good reason: Nintendo is a family-orientated platform, and the potential for abuse there with how Terraria works is massive. When we were looking to gain exceptions to Nintendo's regulation in this area, it definitely helped us that we could say that when other players joined you in multiplayer, they would be sat in the same room as you. They'd be people you know. It would be easier to police people that griefed in your world, because you'd just not play with them again.

Nintendo wanted Terraria on 3DS because it's a cool game, but if they'd applied the letter of the law to the strictest extent it could not exist on those platforms.

The way we coded the multiplayer component left the door open to us to add online multiplayer in the future, should that make sense. My own personal opinion is that it would be great if 3DS had online. But I know the issues we've had on 3DS keeping the code stable with squashing everything to fit on 3DS. Adding online play adds a load of potential instability, and would it be worth it now? It would cost money, and 505 would need to have a good idea that was an investment that would pay for itself. When we started Terraria 3DS, Switch wasn't announced. We didn't know anything about it. It's now three months from launch, and looks like an even better portable platform for this game. More screenspace, better specs, etc.

PC Terraria isn't restrained by the shelf life of the target platform. PC will be around forever. The required specs might get higher, but your Steam copy of Terraria will run as long as you have a machine capable. In three months, Switch could kill 3DS player numbers dead. Or the two might happily co-exist, we don't know yet. I suspect a lot of publishers are waiting to see how it pans out. I think a year after launch, full online multiplayer on 3DS is now unlikely. But if the game continues to sell, you never know.

Sorry, that ended up being a bit longer than I expected!

I'm not sure unfair is the right sentiment here. If you've gone into 3DS expecting it to be a 1:1 port of the PC experience, there was no way we could ever achieve that. I think we've been pretty upfront about that fact. The 3DS is much less powerful than than even old smartphones like the iPhone 4. We make the compromises we had to make to get onto the platform while delivering an authentic experience. Any feature in a game costs you an amount of time and money, and for various reasons online multiplayer didn't make the cut.

Just putting it out there but I don't think he had issues with this port not being 1:1 to the PC version. If he had I'm sure content differences besides online would've been brought up. Rather the issue explained is that multiplayer on the 3DS is watered down due to the inconvenience of 3DS players being far and few between with select exceptions. I never claim to be an expert or a developer so I wouldn't know but it seems like setting up online wouldn't be impossible for the 3DS, simply difficult to set up/code but wouldn't necessarily be in vain.

Regardless I can see the issues that could arise from implementing that and why it hadn't been done so in the first place.

I believe it happened in 1.03, but the world was created on the initial release.

I do have the 1.0.5 and it still is broken. Guess I'll have to restart with a new world. Fortunately, I had my bone key on my character and not on the world.

Yeah, that sucks, I'm going to restart my world too, and from now on I think I'll keep my important stuff in a safe and a piggy bank

I know you can't answer this question with 100% centainty, but, if terraria gets ported to the Switch, would it be able to run 1.3? Again, no way to know for sure since the system isn't out yet..

I know you can't answer this question with 100% centainty, but, if terraria gets ported to the Switch, would it be able to run 1.3? Again, no way to know for sure since the system isn't out yet..

We can only hope. Assuming the Switch is at least more powerful than the Wii U (This isn't 100% confirmed but it seems like a no-brainer), then we should be seeing an equivalent of 1.2.4.1 PC at least. Whether it would wind up getting 1.3 if they decide to port or not is at this point unknown.

Can anybody help me with this pleeeeease?! My daughter and I are playing on our 3ds' ( i have NEW 3ds xl she has NEW 3ds) and we both just got santa to spawn in and reside in homes weve built on both of our worlds in hardmode. Our problem is he only sells his costume and 3 diff lights. On wiki and every other thread/site i see it says that he sells like 40 things! Weve tried moving to him to the snow biome and buying from him at night. Are we doing something wrong??

Can anybody help me with this pleeeeease?! My daughter and I are playing on our 3ds' ( i have NEW 3ds xl she has NEW 3ds) and we both just got santa to spawn in and reside in homes weve built on both of our worlds in hardmode. Our problem is he only sells his costume and 3 diff lights. On wiki and every other thread/site i see it says that he sells like 40 things! Weve tried moving to him to the snow biome and buying from him at night. Are we doing something wrong??

I'm pretty sure that's because most of the decorations were introduced into the PC version in 1.2.2, whereas the 3DS is 1.2 at its core with some other content pulled from 1.2.4 and 1.3. It seems like those additional items he has aren't one of those pieces of content they added.

I'm pretty sure that's because most of the decorations were introduced into the PC version in 1.2.2, whereas the 3DS is 1.2 at its core with some other content pulled from 1.2.4 and 1.3. It seems like those additional items he has aren't one of those pieces of content they added.

Thank u so much its been drivin us crazy

The one thing we can guarantee is that the single player game will get played, so we focused there. Nintendo 3DS online play isn't as widespread as it is on home consoles and PC. Also, Nintendo is VERY strict when it comes to users being able to share user generated content. And with good reason: Nintendo is a family-orientated platform, and the potential for abuse there with how Terraria works is massive. When we were looking to gain exceptions to Nintendo's regulation in this area, it definitely helped us that we could say that when other players joined you in multiplayer, they would be sat in the same room as you. They'd be people you know. It would be easier to police people that griefed in your world, because you'd just not play with them again.

Nintendo wanted Terraria on 3DS because it's a cool game, but if they'd applied the letter of the law to the strictest extent it could not exist on those platforms.

The way we coded the multiplayer component left the door open to us to add online multiplayer in the future, should that make sense. My own personal opinion is that it would be great if 3DS had online. But I know the issues we've had on 3DS keeping the code stable with squashing everything to fit on 3DS. Adding online play adds a load of potential instability, and would it be worth it now? It would cost money, and 505 would need to have a good idea that was an investment that would pay for itself. When we started Terraria 3DS, Switch wasn't announced. We didn't know anything about it. It's now three months from launch, and looks like an even better portable platform for this game. More screenspace, better specs, etc.

PC Terraria isn't restrained by the shelf life of the target platform. PC will be around forever. The required specs might get higher, but your Steam copy of Terraria will run as long as you have a machine capable. In three months, Switch could kill 3DS player numbers dead. Or the two might happily co-exist, we don't know yet. I suspect a lot of publishers are waiting to see how it pans out. I think a year after launch, full online multiplayer on 3DS is now unlikely. But if the game continues to sell, you never know.

Sorry, that ended up being a bit longer than I expected!

That really sucks. I think that guy's angry because it's generally assumed that Terraria will have online multiplayer. If Nintendo's strict regulations are to blame for the lack of online on 3DS, why was it included on the Wii U?

I think it would be really nice if 505 would allow you to put online in the game. People would be happy and not feel ripped off. I know it's all been said before - but Terraria 3DS is buggy, lacking in features and expensive. It would be a nice gesture if at very least, they could update the game to have this base feature. It would be a great final update present.

That's not going to happen, of course. What can we expect in the future?

Failing online, could we get NPCs to fight back & banners to give you a buff? & of course, anything else you can chuck in. I would personally just love to see those two things in the game as them not being there make it feel like you're playing a very old version.

Thanks for the explanation and your continued work on this game. :)

That really sucks. I think that guy's angry because it's generally assumed that Terraria will have online multiplayer. If Nintendo's strict regulations are to blame for the lack of online on 3DS, why was it included on the Wii U?

I think you actually answered that question yourself not long after asking it
I know it's all been said before - but Terraria 3DS is buggy

It's a stability risk. They understand how much trouble the game has given them bug-wise, and until they can ensure that's not a problem any more, online multiplayer could cause problems. That's what I think Deanzor is trying to say.

I think you actually answered that question yourself not long after asking it

It's a stability risk. They understand how much trouble the game has given them bug-wise, and until they can ensure that's not a problem any more, online multiplayer could cause problems. That's what I think Deanzor is trying to say.

Fair enough. I can see how stability is a concern. Though, I believe if they hadn't have rushed the game out, then it wouldn't be such a buggy mess. I think if they wanted to, it could be implemented - but as Deanzor said... right now, it's all about the money. Is it worth the investment? -_-

Hi, I'm here to report a bug... Don't know if it's been reported yet but it's kind of annoying.

On certain conditions, life crystals disapear from inventory without ginving the promised 20 health raise.

My config:

New 3DS XL
Terraria 3DS 1.05, recent install (never played without the patch)
Expanded world
Offline game
120 health at time of discovery

How to reproduce:

On 3DS, i've taken the habit of selecting an object in the inventory screen and using it using Y without placing it in the quick bar.
If I select a life crystal in the inventory screen, and press back to come back to the main game screen, the life crystal disappears with no warning nor health increase.
If I put the life crystal in the quick bar, select any other object, go back to the main game, then touch the life crystal in the quick bar, the crystal is used and I get my extra health.

I've reproduced that multiple times, it also happens with mana stars.

EDIT: my first object in the quick bar was a normal (starter) spear from a chest. If I removed that from the quick bar and left le slot empty, the problem did not occur (tested on a mana star) with a gem staff it did not occur either.

It may be linked to the fact that I used my first life crystal by selecting it in the inventory screen, then back to the game then Y. I've then found 3 or four others, and lost them that way, before figuring out the work around on the fifth. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom