Hello... I exist, and have some noob questions.

Darkstar01

Official Terrarian
Oh.. hi. So, uh... I'm bad at introductions, especially the first three sentences, or so. But now that I've subverted that requirement, let's go on to the body paragraph. :naughty:

I like:
  • Video games, especially Terraria. I mean, um, RPGs, and action games, and... Terraria. ;)
  • Anime and manga, though I haven't viewed much of it lately.
  • Touhou, despite never having actually played it. If you don't know what I mean, then forget I said that.
  • Science, including Terraria science.
I dislike, uh... what's something inoffensive to dislike... grapefruit juice?
I also have very lukewarm feelings for
Bacon.png
That one might cause some riots...

Now, for the questions:
  1. If I'm making an adventure map, but I'm mostly done, do I put something about it in the Work-In-Progress area, or just wait until I'm done and release it in full?
  2. What rules (if any) are there about necro-posting (i.e. posting in very old threads)?
  3. What's the difference between an 'adventure' map and a 'survival' map?
  4. There's a 'guide' section, but is it appropriate to repost Steam guides for Terraria there, or do I link that in my profile, or something?
  5. When it says 'points' on my profile, does that mean warning points?

Last edited:
Oh.. hi. So, uh... I'm bad at introductions, especially the first three sentences, or so. But now that I've subverted that requirement, let's go on to the body paragraph. :naughty:

I like:
  • Video games, especially Terraria. I mean, um, RPGs, and action games, and... Terraria. ;)
  • Touhou, despite never having actually played it. If you don't know what I mean, then forget I said that.
Bacon.png

Now, for the questions:
  1. If I'm making an adventure map, but I'm mostly done, do I put something about it in the Work-In-Progress area, or just wait until I'm done and release it in full?
  2. What rules (if any) are there about necro-posting (i.e. posting in very old threads)?
I'll answer 2. for you. You can necro a thread IF your post adds content to said discussion

I like:
Bacon.png

Now, for the questions:
  4. There's a 'guide' section, but is it appropriate to repost Steam guides for Terraria there, or do I link that in my profile, or something?
1. You can post one thread now for the WIP version and one later for the full version.
2. What Eli said.
3. Adventure maps are sort of story based, without mining and stuff, adventure maps are story based and the player is usually guided around? It's fairly self-explanatory.
4. You could repost steam guides to the guide section. At least as long as they're yours.

3. Adventure maps are sort of story based, without mining and stuff, adventure maps are story based and the player is usually guided around? It's fairly self-explanatory.
But what about a map that involves a limited amount of mining, and also has a plot, along with a few puzzles? Would I just say that the story is dominant between these, and call it an adventure map? It's like one of those things where there are bits of plot sprinkled about, and you kind of have to piece it together.

Oh, and I just added this to the OP, too: does the 'points' next to my profile mean warning points, or is it something else?

But what about a map that involves a limited amount of mining, and also has a plot, along with a few puzzles? Would I just say that the story is dominant between these, and call it an adventure map? It's like one of those things where there are bits of plot sprinkled about, and you kind of have to piece it together.

Oh, and I just added this to the OP, too: does the 'points' next to my profile mean warning points, or is it something else?
Just use your best judgement? I don't know? Is it about survival or adventure?

Anyways you don't have any warning points it'll say if you do.

Hi @Darkstar01, welcome to the forums. ~:)

A clarification for the WIP/Released question. It's preferred that the WIP thread be updated and moved into the Released section rather than starting a new Released thread.
Works-in-Progress (Mods & Tools, Maps, Texture Packs): The works-in-progress sub-sections are a place for members to post enhancements that are still in their initial stages of development and are not quite ready for public consumption. When an enhancement's initial development is deemed complete and ready to be released, simply report the opening post of the enhancement thread and request that the thread be moved from the works-in-progress section to the related released section.

Hi @Darkstar01, welcome to the forums. ~:)

A clarification for the WIP/Released question. It's preferred that the WIP thread be updated and moved into the Released section rather than starting a new Released thread.
Okay.

I have another question now: How does watching threads work, exactly? It seems that every thread I post in is automatically watched. IS there a way that I can elect to see only posts that reply to or quote me in a given thread, rather than receive an alert for all posts?

Make that two: If I'm posting a guide, how do I create in-guide links within the table of contents? That is, links to other part of the same guide.

Okay.

I have another question now: How does watching threads work, exactly? It seems that every thread I post in is automatically watched. IS there a way that I can elect to see only posts that reply to or quote me in a given thread, rather than receive an alert for all posts?

Make that two: If I'm posting a guide, how do I create in-guide links within the table of contents? That is, links to other part of the same guide.
Here is where you can set your preference for whether you want to automatically "watch" threads.
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?account/preferences

This is another good spot to adjust your preferences for alerts:
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?account/alert-preferences

You can get to both of the above by clicking on your own name at the top right, then choosing one of the options.

For threads that you are already "watching" you can check on them by clicking "Watched Threads" near the top of the page, underneath Home | Forums | Members. It will show you any unread threads you are watching, and then by clicking "Show All Watched Threads" you can see what you are currently signed up to watch. By going into the thread you then have the option to "Unwatch thread".
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?watched/threads/all

For creating a "bookmark" or "anchor" within a thread, I suggest reading through the Post Formatting section here (scroll down until you see Anchors)
https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...-posting-in-public-threads.70/#postFormatting

You might be interested to flip through the Community User Guide for more tips and tricks, although you are always welcome to ask if you need help finding something. `:)

You might be interested to flip through the Community User Guide for more tips and tricks, although you are always welcome to ask if you need help finding something. `:)
Thanks again. Just one last question, I added it to my previous post, but I guess that must have been after you responded, so you wouldn't have seen it:
If I'm posting a guide, how do I create in-guide links within the table of contents? That is, links to other part of the same guide.

I've mostly figured this out, but I'm having a strange issue. In my guide I have this exactly:
Code:
[SPOILER="Table of Contents"]
[LIST]
[*][goto="Overview"]Overview[/goto]
[*][goto="Intro"]Introduction[/goto]
[*][goto=General Prep]General Preparations[/goto]
[*][goto="Super Tank"]Strategy 1: Super Tank (Melee)[/goto]
[*][goto="Head to Tail"]Strategy 2: Head to Tail (Ranged, Magic)[/goto]
[*][goto="Ricochet Chamber"]Strategy 3: Ricochet Chamber (Magic, Ranged)[/goto]
[*][goto="Petal Storm"]Strategy 4: Petal Storm (Any Class)[/goto]
[*][goto="Bird-Eater Spider]Strategy 5: Bird-Eater Spider (Summoner)[/goto]
[*][goto="Gold Standard"]Strategy 6: The Gold Standard (Ranger)[/goto]
[*][goto="Platinum Standard"]Strategy 7: The Platinum Standard (Any Class)[/goto]
[*][goto="DPS comparison"]Rough DPS Comparisons for Strategy #7[/goto]
[*][goto="Dairy Standard"]Strategy 8: The Dairy Standard (No Class)[/goto]
[*][goto="Worthy Foe"]Strategy 9: A Worthy Foe (Throwing)[/goto]
[*][goto="Wiring Strats"]Bonus: Mechanical Strategies for a Mechanical Boss (Mechanic)[/goto]
[*][goto="Aftermath"]Aftermath[/goto]
[*][goto="Final Words"]Final Words[/goto]
[/LIST][/SPOILER]

Along with respective anchors for each, and all of them work, except for 'Bird-Eater Spider', which doesn't even appear. When I remove the 'goto' tags around it, it reappears, but of course it can't link to anything like that. Any idea why that might be happening?

I've mostly figured this out, but I'm having a strange issue. In my guide I have this exactly:
Code:
[SPOILER="Table of Contents"]
[LIST]
[*][goto="Overview"]Overview[/goto]
[*][goto="Intro"]Introduction[/goto]
[*][goto=General Prep]General Preparations[/goto]
[*][goto="Super Tank"]Strategy 1: Super Tank (Melee)[/goto]
[*][goto="Head to Tail"]Strategy 2: Head to Tail (Ranged, Magic)[/goto]
[*][goto="Ricochet Chamber"]Strategy 3: Ricochet Chamber (Magic, Ranged)[/goto]
[*][goto="Petal Storm"]Strategy 4: Petal Storm (Any Class)[/goto]
[*][goto="Bird-Eater Spider]Strategy 5: Bird-Eater Spider (Summoner)[/goto]
[*][goto="Gold Standard"]Strategy 6: The Gold Standard (Ranger)[/goto]
[*][goto="Platinum Standard"]Strategy 7: The Platinum Standard (Any Class)[/goto]
[*][goto="DPS comparison"]Rough DPS Comparisons for Strategy #7[/goto]
[*][goto="Dairy Standard"]Strategy 8: The Dairy Standard (No Class)[/goto]
[*][goto="Worthy Foe"]Strategy 9: A Worthy Foe (Throwing)[/goto]
[*][goto="Wiring Strats"]Bonus: Mechanical Strategies for a Mechanical Boss (Mechanic)[/goto]
[*][goto="Aftermath"]Aftermath[/goto]
[*][goto="Final Words"]Final Words[/goto]
[/LIST][/SPOILER]

Along with respective anchors for each, and all of them work, except for 'Bird-Eater Spider', which doesn't even appear. When I remove the 'goto' tags around it, it reappears, but of course it can't link to anything like that. Any idea why that might be happening?
You need quotes after Spider. It's missing the end quote. "Bird-Eater Spider

:)

You need quotes after Spider. It's missing the end quote. "Bird-Eater Spider

:)
Ah! It was between that and me putting { } instead of [ ], since I retyped that more than once and it didn't work before. So I added the quotes and it didn't work, and then I realized I had used } instead of ], and when I fixed that, then it worked.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I've got everything figured out now.

Back
Top Bottom