Official Terraria-Based Toys Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In English money? For us Brits out there?

EDIT: I so want to see a Nerf gun like Megashark and Minishark....

Best I could do with what I have is send you to a currency converter (current rate is £0.63=$1)

----

Reiterating that constitutive direction is valuable to future direction. Conspiracy theories and impugning things are not. It is of course up to the feedback-giver to choose their path there. :)

As you may recall, we have hinted at a series of Terraria-based toys being in-development for a while within the Terraria Animated Series.
I don't recall it, actually. I must have missed something.
Also, everyone should stop complaining if the toys are based on the animations based on the game made by based Andrew Spinks.
The devs have feelings you know.
Except the Night's Edge.

800443868_403506.gif

Good, good, as others have said, Night's Edge looks wrong, and the figures shouldn't be blocky. However, MASSIVE love to the plushies! I adore them! I definitely want that bunny! My only other complaint is...

WHERE'S THE EATER OF WORLDS/DESTROYER BELT?!

Terraria doesn't have any kind of definitive style, other than pixels.

That's not entirely true, though. Leaving aside the art used in the Steam trading cards, which is at least semi-official, but I talked about already, those pixels do create a distinct visual style that is recognizable. When people look through the mod or sprite art sections, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a sprite that would fit right in as a part of the game, and those that just look out of place. Take, for instance, DakotaSpine's example.

There is a clear difference between:

This: View attachment 9078
And this: View attachment 9079

That is the nail on the head. While they are presented in sprite form, there is a recognizable quality to Terraria's assets beyond just having pixels. For one thing, they possess curvature and shading. Even in two dimensions, the form and shape of the pieces in three dimensions is at least implied. That is part of what looks so wrong about the toys. We may not have three dimensions in Terraria, but the way the items are shaped and coloured gives an idea of how it would look. So, when the toys aren't even close to those expected shapes, it's noticeable.

I'd even go so far as to say it's the key difference between the styles of Terraria and Minecraft. The latter is two dimensions transposed into three...that is, three dimensional representations of pixelated 2D sprites. The former, on the other hand, is clearly meant to be three dimensional objects represented in two. Even with just sprites, Terraria is able to convey depth and detail. Faces have features. Legs end in feet. Subtle use of light and dark tones convey lit and unlit faces on an object, as though it were in three dimensions and part of it in shadow. That's why the toys seem so glaringly wrong. Even though they're in three dimensions, they feel more flat than Terraria's sprites. When the look of them isn't just completely wrong (like the disastrous Night's Edge attempt) they strip away all that detail, presenting something that is oversimplified, and just seems to lack the "soul" of the game's designs.

The initial discussion on TO about the series went straight to the toys - in part. Sounds like you are in the "don't recall" camp. ;)

The second sentence....Yes, because that's what I said. :sigh:

I'm merely pointing out the utter futility of tinfoil hats and fistshaking - absent any constructive direction - towards actually affecting any future direction. As I noted before - I'm actually writing down constructive notes for a summary to drive real recommendations moving forward. We hear the complaints, take them seriously, and are trying to accurately portray the good/bad/ugly in an actionable way.

What do I write for random rage? "I don't like this and am mad"? That tells the sentiment but has nearly zero in the way of actionability. I hope that makes sense.

One can rage all one wants, that's their right...just pointing out where it leads. That's all I'm asking for.

If I misunderstood the point of your "devs feelings" note, then my apologies. :)

If I misunderstood the point of your "devs feelings" note, then my apologies. :)
I meant to defend the toys and bring up the fact that people are being fairly rude to the creators of the toys. I wasn't trying to sarcastically rage on the toys.
But in all honesty, the night's edge really frustrates me from the little resemblance to the in-game sprite. The sprite looks amazing while the toy looks like random pixels from the original color pallete haphazardly molded into the shape of the sword.
For future reference, so nobody complains, have the toys be the same as or very similar to original sprites.

No hard feelings.

I am terribly sorry if I came off rude, I was just stating my opinion on how they looked to me, it's just that they look rather lazily done to me.

I would suggest trying to get a deal with Lego company.
1) Try having small plastic figurines. They should be about about the size of a Lego person. They shouldn't be blocky like minecraft.
2)Terraria coloring book? Terraria e-coloring book? I have no idea if there are e-coloring books...
3) Are there Terraria shirts?! I think I remember seeing them somewhere...

EDIT: Because not wanting to this only being an answer, the plushs seem pretty cool. The other stuff, not so much.

3) Are there Terraria shirts?! I think I remember seeing them somewhere...
There are a few, here. Pretty much all of the smaller sizes are out of stock though.

It's about time! These toys look pretty great! My friend has a ton of Minecraft toys, but we both love Terraria, so I can't wait to get one of these an rub it in his face. Thanks a lot, guys!

To be honest, the figures look pretty cheap. Like these actually look like Minecraft knock-offs. I might buy a couple, but the Skeleton probably won't be one of them like I originally thought, he just looks bad. Same goes for Tim: I don't know what happened there, but he's a mess. First of all, he's a skeleton, not a zombie-orc; secondly, WHERE ARE HIS PANTS? He wears a robe, not a shirt and commando style down below.

Or how about some Boss Figures too? Who wouldn't want a Golem figure with detachable head and fists?

P.S. Plantera Plushieeee.....

Ok we've beaten the nights edge dead horse enough. Read Loki's last few posts. They might even try to release another nights edge

Yeah, not making any promises as to what may or may not come of feedback (changes to these? Next wave of stuff? Etc) - only that we have our own thoughts that we will couple with community feedback here and elsewhere to advise future direction. The nature of things dictates nothing will be perfect.

Also want to see how this and other groups react when they have the actual items in-hand versus just images on a website. Kinda like judging updates. :)

Don't take that as a negative or excuse - just a statement of fact and avoidance of any specific expectations at this point. As I said , this is a big move for us and we are dedicated to getting it as right as possible.

Again, thanks to all taking the time to give constructive feedback! :)

This is great! Terraria is really growing now!

unlike that other.....pixelated game....

yea..that one.

If the "that" game that you are talking about it Minecraft, then I would just like to point out that Terraria is starting to catch up to it. And Minecraft is still growing, really. Aside from not having much more place to grow other than updates to the real game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom