Mobile iOS multiplayer won't connect

I play multiplayer on iOS with the same apple/gamecenter id no problem.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Fleru

Terrarian
I have 2 iPad mini's both using the same apple and gamecenter id's. Both have the same version, 11328 under settings, 23 under the join screen. Both are connected to my home wifi. I load a multiplayer game on one iPad and try to join from the 2nd iPad. The loading screen makes it about 1/3 of the way before it stops moving. After a minute I get a message "The connection to the host has been lost." Both have been restarted multiple times. My router has been restarted as well. Any suggestions on a fix?

In case @Fleru comes back at some point - there have been many updates since you posted. Hopefully the multiplayer works for you now. If not, let me know and we'll try to figure it out. :)

@mocraft05 - if you're on the same network, same game version, and same multiplayer version and it's still not working it might be because one of the devices doesn't have enough RAM, and/or the network connection is spotty. What two devices are trying to play together?

I have 2 iPads for my kids (both running iOS 9.3.5) and Terraria 12.785. They can not be in the same game if either of my iPads is hosting.

If I host from a third iPad (a friend's), all three can play together.

If either of the original iPads hosts the game, the third iPad can join, but not the other one of mine.

I have signed out of Game Center on one, the other, then both. Are there services that are shared? What could cause the conflict?

I was about to delete and re-install, but I'm afraid I'll lose character and progress.

Suggestions?

I have 2 iPads for my kids (both running iOS 9.3.5) and Terraria 12.785. They can not be in the same game if either of my iPads is hosting.

If I host from a third iPad (a friend's), all three can play together.

If either of the original iPads hosts the game, the third iPad can join, but not the other one of mine.

I have signed out of Game Center on one, the other, then both. Are there services that are shared? What could cause the conflict?

I was about to delete and re-install, but I'm afraid I'll lose character and progress.

Suggestions?
This is interesting Jake. If your iPad A hosts only your friend's iPad C can join. And if your ipad B hosts only iPad C can join. But if C hosts then both A and B can join.

At first thought it would seem that iTunes account or Game Center accounts being the same on A and B might cause them to not play together. However, I can join worlds on my iPad with my iPhone and they are both signed in using the same iTunes and Game Center account. And I'm not sure that Game Center matters for Terraria. It uses iTunes account for cloud.

Does it make a difference if you're using a Local world or a Cloud world? An old world versus a brand new one?

I wish I had a solution. :( I'll keep testing using my iPad and iPhone to see if some combination doesn't allow playing together.

i might have a solution! itt could be a. your connecttion is cutting out and you need a more stable one. b. your game is not loading worlds properly(easily fixed by starting a tutorial world, exiting to main menu and then joining your other ipads game) i play alot of multiterraria and i run into that 1/3rd problem a TON but only with certain people. the tutorial thing always works for me.

This issue has nothing to do with the LAN connection between iPads. Nor does it have to do with the type of router that is in use. The problem being referred to in this thread has to do with playing Terraria on Multiplayer between two iPad or iPod devices. I have tested through this extensively, and when my iPhone is connected to the Wireless LAN, I am able to multiplayer to another iPad on the same LAN. However, when I try to multiplayer from one iPad mini to another, it fails with the Host Connection Lost error. All iPads are the same IOS release and same version of Terraria.

Since this only happens on iPads/iPods and no other devices, there must be some setting blocking traffic between iPad/iPod devices on a specific port, or preventing the world from fully loading on the guest iPad. The world loads on the guest iPad until the bar turns yellow, then freezes and throws the Host Connection error. The host iPad is able to turn on PVP and/or choose a team color, but the guest is unable to join the world.

Ill wireshark my WLAN between iPads and see if I can get specific packet data.

This issue has nothing to do with the LAN connection between iPads. Nor does it have to do with the type of router that is in use. The problem being referred to in this thread has to do with playing Terraria on Multiplayer between two iPad or iPod devices. I have tested through this extensively, and when my iPhone is connected to the Wireless LAN, I am able to multiplayer to another iPad on the same LAN. However, when I try to multiplayer from one iPad mini to another, it fails with the Host Connection Lost error. All iPads are the same IOS release and same version of Terraria.

Since this only happens on iPads/iPods and no other devices, there must be some setting blocking traffic between iPad/iPod devices on a specific port, or preventing the world from fully loading on the guest iPad. The world loads on the guest iPad until the bar turns yellow, then freezes and throws the Host Connection error. The host iPad is able to turn on PVP and/or choose a team color, but the guest is unable to join the world.

Ill wireshark my WLAN between iPads and see if I can get specific packet data.
I wish I could replicate this to help find a solution.

I've always been able to play multiplayer using my iPhone and iPad. Since I've been seeing more reports of iPhone/iPad working, but iPad/iPad not working, I tried a few things.

I had these devices all installed with the latest version of Terraria on my own wifi at home:
  • iPhone - iPhone SE (iOS 9.3.5) (the iPhone that is the size of the 5, but has the specs of a 6)
  • iPad A - iPad Air 2 (iOS 9.3.5)
  • iPad B - iPad Air 2 (iOS 10.2)
  • Mini - iPad Mini 4 (iOS 9.3.5)
The iPhone and the iPad A share the same Game Center log in. The iPad B has a different Game Center log in, and the Mini has a third different log in. I'm not sure that Game Center has anything to do with it.

I tried many different iterations, and they always connected. At many different tests I had all four players in one world.

I tried using existing characters and brand new characters. And then mixing existing and new. I tried local worlds and cloud worlds. I even had the Mini not able to access cloud characters or worlds by never turning on iCloud for Terraria on it. And yet, it could join a cloud world that iPad A hosted.

I had each of the four host the game at different points, and others could always join, no matter who hosted it. All combinations - iPhone/Mini, iPad/iPad, iPad/Mini, the other iPad/Mini... it all worked.

Great for me. But something is not working for you guys.

It's not just iPad/iPad because mine had not a problem at all. So maybe we can look further, and see exactly which versions of the iPads are not working together. If it's got less than 1GB of RAM, that would be a red flag as those devices are not stable even in single player. I'm hoping some sort of pattern shows up in order to help anyone else that comes here with the same problem.

Here are my two iPads multi playing with each other. iPad A on top with a hardmode existing character, and iPad B on bottom with a new character. (Click to enlarge)
image.jpeg

I had the same problem with 2 iPad minis. I could get every other combination of iOS devices to work. Then I noticed the iPad minis both had the same device name. Once I changed the names and did a reset (hold power button and home button for 10 seconds) it worked. I don't know if the reset is required because I didn't try it without resetting. I hope that helps someone else.

I had the same problem with 2 iPad minis. I could get every other combination of iOS devices to work. Then I noticed the iPad minis both had the same device name. Once I changed the names and did a reset (hold power button and home button for 10 seconds) it worked. I don't know if the reset is required because I didn't try it without resetting. I hope that helps someone else.
That's great information @trevmono. I hope that others that have had trouble getting their 2 iPads to connect will see this, give it a try, and report back. Thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom