tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,449 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,580 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 437 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Hmm, after doing some testing, I think I do need to give some feedback about the balance with some of the higher tier items in this mod. A lot of them, are, well, just too overpowered for when you can get them. Take the Galactus Blade for example, technically obtainable sooner than the Star Wrath you can get from the Moon Lord, and a very similar weapon overall, but yet it does over 3 times the DPS. Without any armor, it can breach 4k dps on a single training dummy, while the Star Wrath does maybe 1.2k at most. That's pretty absurdly unbalanced.

Another example is Augur of the Elements, which is not only vastly superior to anything in vanilla or other mods like Thorium, but is also superior to everything else in your own mod, including Post-Yharon stuff. With no armor, it can easily deal 10k DPS, while Thorium's Almanac of Despair only does 2.5k at most. The Yharon magic item even does less DPS, albeit it can get fairly close.

And I'm sure there are others, I didn't really test too many comparisons, it's just something I've noticed, and something I really feel should be addressed somehow. Generally, you want to keep your items relatively in-line with vanilla progression, or else your items are just straight up superior and it starts to feel mandatory to use them and not something else. A lot of the late-game items in this mod either need to be toned down significantly, or perhaps a more preferable option would be to gate the strong ones behind some of your post-moonlord bosses, which one depending on their DPS. Or maybe a mix of both would be best, because even Post-Yharon stuff like the Augur does silly amounts of damage.

But yeah, this is something I wanted to get off my chest. The item balance is one of the only things I have to criticize about this mod. The mod as a whole is great, and I couldn't imagine myself playing without it at this point, but some of the balance with items, especially the higher tier ones, is pretty out of whack, I'd dare say. I don't think any mod's items should straight up overshadow other weapons available at any given tier, because if they do, it just destroys player choice. Is the current availability of some of these items just a placeholder?

Stuff like the Galactus Blade could comfortably sit post-devourer (even there it might still be a bit too good), and stuff like the Augur of the Elements would probably work well enough if you gated it behind Yharon. The Elemental Eruption does crazy enough DPS that it would probably fit better as post-yharon too. And I'm sure there are others, but the point is, I feel like you should go through them and spread them out in places where their DPS levels are more appropriate, assuming you'd feel like that's a better solution than nerfing them heavily.

1. You need the Star Wrath to make the Galactus Blade.

public override void AddRecipes()
{
ModRecipe recipe = new ModRecipe(mod);
recipe.AddIngredient(null, "GalacticaSingularity", 5);
recipe.AddIngredient(ItemID.StarWrath);
recipe.AddIngredient(ItemID.Ectoplasm, 10);
recipe.AddIngredient(ItemID.SoulofMight, 20);
recipe.AddIngredient(ItemID.LunarBar, 5);
recipe.AddIngredient(ItemID.DarkShard);
recipe.AddIngredient(ItemID.LightShard);
recipe.AddTile(TileID.MythrilAnvil);
recipe.SetResult(this);
recipe.AddRecipe();
}

2. It has been nerfed for the next version already.

3. Expecting everything to be balanced when this mod is a "Released WIP" is reaching quite a bit. Especially considering NOBODY tells ME what is OP and what's not. Except you and a scant few others.

4. I'd rather not move all this stuff around to tiers that they just don't make sense to be in. Elemental Eruption is going to be available where all elemental weapons are available. Galactus Blade is staying where it currently is (even if I nerf it slightly). I've also tested the Elemental Eruption and I already nerfed the dang thing heavily.

Last edited:
Hmm, after doing some testing, I think I do need to give some feedback about the balance with some of the higher tier items in this mod. A lot of them, are, well, just too overpowered for when you can get them. Take the Galactus Blade for example, technically obtainable sooner than the Star Wrath you can get from the Moon Lord, and a very similar weapon overall, but yet it does over 3 times the DPS. Without any armor, it can breach 4k dps on a single training dummy, while the Star Wrath does maybe 1.2k at most. That's pretty absurdly unbalanced.

Despite all that, it's still uncontrollable (it goes everywhere) and it doesn't pierce, which can be quite troublesome in certain situations. And if I recall, it does not have the ability to phase through a few blocks. Star Wrath is controllable, pierces, and phases through a couple of blocks, but at the cost of slightly lower DPS, only because Galactus Blade has more projectiles. If you think the Galactus Blade is broken, it gets upgraded to The Burning Sky (Yharon), which summons a fireball apocalypse and the already-known-to-be-broken Earth sword, which will shred any boss, shall you get used to aiming the projectiles with the cursor once you hit it.

Another example is Augur of the Elements, which is not only vastly superior to anything in vanilla or other mods like Thorium, but is also superior to everything else in your own mod, including Post-Yharon stuff. With no armor, it can easily deal 10k DPS, while Thorium's Almanac of Despair only does 2.5k at most. The Yharon magic item even does less DPS, albeit it can get fairly close.

Dude. DoG hits like a 20,000,000 mach fighter jet and he doesn't even take pierce damage. Yharon is the same thing, only minus the segments and the weak points, plus teleportation and even crazier bullet hell. I highly doubt that a flaming tendril weapon will work against them. I do agree that the Phoenix Flame Barrage requires a buff of sort, maybe an increase in speed. Also, trying to compare the weapons of this mod to another weapon from another mod is kinda invalid. Drew stated in the FAQ that Calamity Mod will only focus on itself, no matter if they have problems with another mod's item. (unless it causes a bug or something, in which they have to get involved) And for last, I don't even treat Augur of the Elements as if it's broken. The Elemental weapons are already pretty crazy. The best by far has to go to the Elemental Eruption (which I am surprised that you did not bring up), as it ignores invincibility frames.

And I'm sure there are others, I didn't really test too many comparisons, it's just something I've noticed, and something I really feel should be addressed somehow. Generally, you want to keep your items relatively in-line with vanilla progression, or else your items are just straight up superior and it starts to feel mandatory to use them and not something else. A lot of the late-game items in this mod either need to be toned down significantly, or perhaps a more preferable option would be to gate the strong ones behind some of your post-moonlord bosses, which one depending on their DPS. Or maybe a mix of both would be best, because even Post-Yharon stuff like the Augur does silly amounts of damage.

The special thing about Calamity is that it requires far more effort put into it. The main idols of the mod itself are the bosses; far, FAR tougher than any other known bosses, modded or vanilla. Keep in mind that you can fight a boss meant to be fought after Plantera in Prehardmode. It's beatable, and the devs are already making an "I Owe You An Item" item that drops from the Leviathan Prehardmode; mixing that with Plantera's Life Shards will automatically net you one of the Leviathan's drops. Keep in mind, Moon Lord is an already tough challenge, but the bosses this mod offers can be even worse. You need to have some greater reward to make up for it.

But yeah, this is something I wanted to get off my chest. The item balance is one of the only things I have to criticize about this mod. The mod as a whole is great, and I couldn't imagine myself playing without it at this point, but some of the balance with items, especially the higher tier ones, is pretty out of whack, I'd dare say. I don't think any mod's items should straight up overshadow other weapons available at any given tier, because if they do, it just destroys player choice. Is the current availability of some of these items just a placeholder?

No, they're not a placeholder. Aye, I told you: a Mega Volcarona, a cyber worm, a fluffy penguin, and a red eyeball can be a far greater threat to the player than the Lord of the Moon, the cyber worm hitting for over 500 damage should its head get you. You're going to be more exhausted beating this thing than beating Moon Lord. And, what, you're going to get some crappy pistol weapon as a prize? That's not gonna work. Boss difficulty = Reward quality.

Stuff like the Galactus Blade could comfortably sit post-devourer (even there it might still be a bit too good), and stuff like the Augur of the Elements would probably work well enough if you gated it behind Yharon. The Elemental Eruption does crazy enough DPS that it would probably fit better as post-yharon too. And I'm sure there are others, but the point is, I feel like you should go through them and spread them out in places where their DPS levels are more appropriate, assuming you'd feel like that's a better solution than nerfing them heavily.

Galactus Blade will not even land a scratch on the Devourer. That thing is crazy fast and you can only deal good damage to it if you hit its head or tail, and since the Galactus Blade goes everywhere with little to no control, you're better off using something else. Augur of the Elements are far greater for mobs than endgame bosses, and the Elemental Eruption has lower damage in comparison to the Cleansing Blaze, which is the same thing, only crafted with Cosmilite (dropped by DoG), has far greater damage, and an even deadlier debuff.

Overall, the point of Calamity is that it's supposed to be another adventure. It's not meant to directly cross with Terraria, which Thorium had aimed for. It's meant to have a lore, a story. It has greater challenges. Those who dare try those challenges and emerge victorious can only such be rewarded with their deeds with weapons of equal quality. However, it's still another path on the road; one who has mastered their own world can truly find the courage to brave the nightmares and insanity this beaten path offers. It's meant to be hell, and it will reward you with weapons that are equally as powerful should you manage to live.

Anyone have tips for a high DPS melee build for expert? We're playing with Thorium and Calamity together, just cleared the Ragnarok and have yet to touch any post-ML Calamity bosses and I feel like i'm not getting much DPS going. Meanwhile My friend is over here playing mage and hitting like 20k+ DPS a second. I don't even think I've hit 10k on the dummy yet. We started using Calamity at the end of hardmode, so maybe I missed some high damage increasing accessories or something? The only other high DPS melee set I can see is post-Yharon, which I obviously can't obtain right now. Maybe melee just isn't meant to do much damage?

Since the balance of weapons seems to be the topic right now, I would like to chime in too. I was just running a server for a couple weeks with this mod on it, and one weapon stood out above nearly every other for pre hardmode and early hardmode: The Night's Ray, and its upgrades. I wasn't able to give all the Calamity weapons a good in-depth look myself, but since we had a good 5-7 people, we were able to spread the load enough to get a better idea. And well.. The Night's Ray is just plain overpowered as hell. I mean, I know that mages are meant to have high DPS, but this practically felt like a monopoly on damage. They had to self-nerf in game and do away with it, else every boss/invasion would end before the other players could join in.

I should have stated at the start, that I love the concept of the weapon. But there's something off about it, that just makes its damage skyrocket, on anything from big single enemies to many small enemies, and everywhere in between. In particular, it trivialized the Slime God and Wall of Flesh fights to the point of nonexistence. Additionally, though this is more a minor problem, it has a great many projectiles and particles, and one of our more visually sensitive players had to sit the Slime God fight out, largely in part to the Night's Ray particle spam.

It may also just be a problem on our end, perhaps due to multiplayer. Maybe the ray just makes more splits than it should? When I first read the tooltip, I expected upwards of 5 split rays at most, but on use it averages closer to 20+, too many to even count in a fight. And even with minimized damage from the splits... It still outranks nearly every other weapon in its class.

Sorry for the rambling. I deeply enjoy this mod, though I have yet to get very far in a proper solo playthrough of it. Keep up the amazing work!

Might as well throw in my two cents about the weapon balance thing. While the mod's weapons are definitely on the strong side, I think that's the whole point. If the bosses were just as hard as normal vanilla bosses they would certainly be overpowered... but their way harder. For example, the hive mind easily matches hardmode bosses with it's mass of projectiles, teleporting, and large number of minions. And the later bosses get even stronger, so it makes sense to me that they would drop appropriately strong weapons.

Sure I suppose a few of them are definitely imbalanced, but as MoutainDrew said, it is still a WIP mod. It's not like vanilla is free of this either, just look at the last prism and stardust dragon, they massively eclipse literally every other weapon in the game by a long shot. Heck, ranger gets shafted the second they get shroomite armour and it only goes downhill from there without mods (hi celebration).

Anways, that's my idea on the weapons. Since MoutainDrew said there's a lack of feedback I think I'll take a look at them tomarrow for a better idea on how they line up with each other. Sorry if this whole thing was incoherent, it's a bit late to be giving proper feedback >.<

Do Calamity bosses remove potions/buffs? Keep having my summoning table (thus my sand waifu) and ironskin/regen potion vanish while trying to fight Yharon.

Do Calamity bosses remove potions/buffs? Keep having my summoning table (thus my sand waifu) and ironskin/regen potion vanish while trying to fight Yharon.

Are you at maximum possible buffs? (2 rows under the hotbar), if so make sure you have no light pet or pet as both of them take up a buff slot.

Are you at maximum possible buffs? (2 rows under the hotbar), if so make sure you have no light pet or pet as both of them take up a buff slot.
Ah... That might be the problem. Had no idea there was a maximum amount of buffs, and then when I gain a new debuff (health potion/belt cooldown/armor cooldown) it's eating up one of my buffs. Thanks :3

Tentative changes for 1.1.7.5:

- Balance/QoL stuff
1 - Added Calamity Biome boss, the Brimstone Elemental
2 - Added minion slot usage tool tip for Yharon's Kindle Staff
3 - Nerfed ray weapon damage
4 - Nerfed Galactus Blade damage slightly
5 - Nerfed Elemental Eruption damage slightly
6 - Nerfed Augur of the Elements damage
7 - Added head icon for the Perforator Hive
8 - Perforator Cyst no longer takes up any NPC spawn slots
9 - Devourer of Gods has much more HP in Normal Mode, slightly more HP in Expert Mode
10 - Devourer of Gods body does more damage
11 - Devourer of Gods head does more damage
12 - Siren Lure does more damage
13 - Siren Lure charges less
14 - Siren Lure switches phases more often
15 - Plaguebringer Goliath has more HP
16 - Plague Charges sprite changed and AI updated
17 - Plaguebringer enemy spawn sprites changed and AI updated (small and large have different AIs now)
18 - Siren Lure Parasea and Aquatic Aberration spawns have more HP
19 - Perforator Hive spawns Mini Perforators much less often to reduce NPC slots being taken up
- Added 21 new items (8 items left to program/sprite)
1 - Charred Idol for the Brimstone Elemental that can be crafted after 1 mech boss has been defeated
2 - Titan Scale Potions
3 - Cadence Potions
4 - Supreme Healing Potions
5 - Calamitas' Brew Potions
6 - Yharim's Stimulants
7 - Arctic Arrows
8 - Ark of the Cosmos
9 - Mortar Rounds
10 - Napalm Arrows
11 - Terra Arrows
12 - Superball Bullets
13 - IOU
- Demon Trophy and Celestial Onion now buff the following bosses AI patterns slightly
1 - King Slime: Teleports nearly instantly if you are too far away
2 - Eye of Cthulhu: Charges FAR more often and is much faster
3 - Skeletron: Does his spinning head charge more often
4 - Wall of Flesh: Shoots lasers far more often, Hungry get a massive HP and damage boost
5 - Plantera: Shoots seeds and thorn balls like a gatling gun in phase 1, Shoots more spores in phase 2
6 - Queen Bee: Shoots her stingers more often and switches phases more quickly
- The following vanilla bosses get more powerful if the player is in Expert Mode
1 - Skeletron Prime: Prime Cannon shoots missiles when his Head is spinning, Head shoots Skeletron skulls which shoot more often the lower his health is
2 - Golem: Golem fists attack very quickly and are invulnerable (this is in the latest version already but I wanted to mention it again)

Well I'm an idiot, fought providence and kept getting so enraged that rarely my yoyo did damage to him and it was so random as I flew around the hallow sky, then I come back and read you can fight in the underworld and there I can always hit him! Didn't realize flying around the hallow sky often counted as leaving which made for extreme anger but now it's solved lol
[doublepost=1486695957,1486695704][/doublepost]With the Elysian aegis I tap down (s key) it does nothing, and neither does the down arrow. Am I doing this wrong?
It works. To try it out for yourself, leave the game and check your base weapon damage. Tap S. Look at the weapon damage again- it should have increased. This is the effect of the accessory. It also raises defense.
[doublepost=1486734560][/doublepost]

- Balance/QoL stuff
9 - Devourer of Gods has much more HP in Normal Mode, slightly more HP in Expert Mode
17 - Plaguebringer enemy spawn sprites changed and AI updated (small and large have different AIs now)
19 - Perforator Hive spawns Mini Perforators much less often to reduce NPC slots being taken up
1 - Charred Idol for the Brimstone Elemental that can be crafted after 1 mech boss has been defeated
2 - Titan Scale Potions
3 - Cadence Potions
6 - Yharim's Stimulants
7 - Arctic Arrows
8 - Ark of the Cosmos
9 - Mortar Rounds
10 - Napalm Arrows
11 - Terra Arrows
12 - Superball Bullets
13 - IOU
- Demon Trophy and Celestial Onion now buff the following bosses AI patterns slightly
4 - Wall of Flesh: Shoots lasers far more often, Hungry get a massive HP and damage boost
5 - Plantera: Shoots seeds and thorn balls like a gatling gun in phase 1, Shoots more spores in phase 2
- The following vanilla bosses get more powerful if the player is in Expert Mode
1 - Skeletron Prime: Prime Cannon shoots missiles when his Head is spinning, Head shoots Skeletron skulls which shoot more often the lower his health is
2 - Golem: Golem fists attack very quickly and are invulnerable (this is in the latest version already but I wanted to mention it again)

Thanks so much!

Will you be updating the link?

- Balance/QoL stuff
2 - Titan Scale Potions
3 - Cadence Potions
6 - Yharim's Stimulants
7 - Arctic Arrows
8 - Ark of the Cosmos
9 - Mortar Rounds
10 - Napalm Arrows
11 - Terra Arrows
12 - Superball Bullets
13 - IOU
I like the new effect for Skeletron Prime in EM.

Since imma make the soul of Terraria soon and there's some stuff like if HP is too high this guy's immortal. So how bout you add a nice else if Fargo's mod loaded boss HP is just doubled xD

Since imma make the soul of Terraria soon and there's some stuff like if HP is too high this guy's immortal. So how bout you add a nice else if Fargo's mod loaded boss HP is just doubled xD

I mean, you can already get like 1200~ HP or something around there in Calamity alone... although it's very insufficient. Lots of better things to use.

Neat, the vanilla bosses are finally getting some love too. I found your change to golem a nice mix up so I'm looking forward to how these changes pan out!

Calamity is balanced around itself. If another mod makes things wonky due to it having purposely overpowered gear that's not really something that needs to be balanced. Also Fargo's mod is especially overpowered for funsies. So no mod will be balanced if you use them.

It works. To try it out for yourself, leave the game and check your base weapon damage. Tap S. Look at the weapon damage again- it should have increased. This is the effect of the accessory. It also raises defense.
[doublepost=1486734560][/doublepost]

Thanks so much!

Will you be updating the link?
Yeah it works my bad I just assumed a buff icon would appear but it didn't

Oh yeah, the upcoming version of Calamity will give a little challenge to Skeletron Prime and the Golem. :)
I agree that in Expert mode those 2 bosses are so easy with the Hallowed armor set.

Back
Top Bottom