Game Mechanics Item Filter - ("Do not pickup" list)

ShadowTiger

Duke Fishron
Just did a search for "Filter" so I hope I'm in the clear for this.

Imagine you're digging with your super-fast pick, going as fast through the dirt as you can run. You're on a loot run, where all you have is your pickaxe/drill, torches or light potions, and a whoooole bunch of empty space for loot.

But as you're digging, you find that you no longer pick up any loot! Apparently your whole inventory has somehow filled up with 999 dirt and stone and mud. Very, very quickly. Wow. That happens a ton, at least to me.

Imagine a button next to the inventory or next to the trash slot that when you click on it, a scrollable or expandable bunch of slots would open up. Any item that you put in any of those slots would not automatically be picked up by the player. It would just be left there on the ground.

The item in the slot wouldn't actually be stored in the slot, of course. It would be "showed to" the slot, and would remain in your inventory or in your item cursor, ready to be dropped back on the ground. You can right-click on that slot to dispel it.

Oh this would be such a space-saver.

That sounds like it could be very useful. This could potentially require a menu of it's own though, so maybe have a 'Do not pick' menu separate from your actual inventory where you can indicate to it which items you want ignored. Dirt, Stone, Snow and Ice and their Crimson/Corruption equivalent would be my first choices.

Thanks, y'all. This is the first step in a declaration of "I am not greedy!"

Or dirty. Don't want to be a kleptomaniac to the point where you hoard dirt.

Reactions: ECC
Imagine a button next to the inventory or next to the trash slot that when you click on it, a scrollable or expandable bunch of slots would open up. Any item that you put in any of those slots would not automatically be picked up by the player. It would just be left there on the ground.

I'd make it like the Goblin's Forge function. You put an item there and say if it should auto-picked up or not, or always see such an option available where you checkmark it to disable the default option. Ex: [ X ] Pickup

I must admit, not having the option makes your inventory-management different since you do have to filter these manually. I often have chests with all the 'junk' in categories so I just mirror-up, stack, and go back.

I will happily admit that the tedium is not entirely unfriendly, in the same way that if real life let you just skip all the hard work and enjoy a life on the beach with millions of <your unit of currency> then life would be kinda boring and meaningless. As much as I don't necessarily enjoy emptying out my inventory like sand from shoes every now and then, it does have a certain heart to it.

... so then the player just wouldn't use the new system, is all. Problem solved. :p

From Pedguin's livestream, Cenx was thinking about an Accessory that does this. That would be interesting as well.

Not that I can even begin to imagine how the player-side mechanics of such a thing would do, considering that it's a highly interactive phenomenon. o_O But the Devs can just create things, so... yeah...

I guess this would be really handy, especially considering I don't want to pick up, and I'm emphasis a lot on this, a lot of blocks. Simple concept, one that has my support.

With the ability to dig really fast, this becomes quite necessary.
It'd be nice if it was an auto trash thing instead so you don't have items all over your world.

I saw the title and it was love at first sight. All of my support! No more unwanted mushrooms that I accidentally eat instead of potions, or singular deathweeds and just take up a slot.
I can stop having my potions on my hotbar!

Back
Top Bottom