tModLoader Prefixes for Enemies

I appreciate this mod. I appreciate it so much I used it as a base for strange beasts. All I did was turn the prefixes on to the town npc's. (And bunnies) I set it to change the npc name, and used the name to change the scale and shades(only dark so far). So, if you start a game and the scout is miniature, he will be on every load. I'm going to eventually change it to a racial thing. So, giants, fairies, orcs, etc. I got the shading to work in the same manner, the code looks for the word dark in the npc name and then colors it.
Anyway, thanks for the source! Should I put your name on my description? Or maybe a link here?

This mod is causing issues with terralands gavehaswon mod and spirit mod errors say something like this

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at EnemyMods.NPCs.gNPC.SetDefaults(NPC npc) in c:\Users\Kenneth\Documents\my games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\EnemyMods\NPCs\gNPC.cs:line 38
at Terraria.ModLoader.NPCLoader.SetupNPC(NPC npc)
at Terraria.NPC.SetDefaults(Int32 Type, Single scaleOverride)
at Terraria.NPC.SetDefaultsKeepPlayerInteraction(Int32 Type)
at Terraria.NPC.CloneDefaults(Int32 Type)
at GabeHasWonsMod.NPCs.BiomeBased.Fly.SetDefaults() in c:\Users\Gabriel\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\GabeHasWonsMod\NPCs\BiomeBased\SwampEnemies.cs:line 77
at Terraria.ModLoader.Mod.SetupContent()
at Terraria.ModLoader.ModLoader.do_Load(Object threadContext)

This mod is causing issues with terralands gavehaswon mod and spirit mod errors say something like this

at EnemyMods.NPCs.gNPC.SetDefaults(NPC npc) in c:\Users\Kenneth\Documents\my games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\EnemyMods\NPCs\gNPC.cs:line 38
at GabeHasWonsMod.NPCs.BiomeBased.Fly.SetDefaults() in c:\Users\Gabriel\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\GabeHasWonsMod\NPCs\BiomeBased\SwampEnemies.cs:line 77
Haven't noticed any issues between this and Spirit Mod on my end -- all things up to date. (not using Terralands or GabeHasWon)

I ran into a issue using two weapons from your mod during the Old One's Army event. If I am too close and use Death Knell or its upgraded version it kills the portal that spawns them in.

The stuff this mod does in SetDefaults for NPCs can cause conflicts with custom NPCs that use the clone method to get the parameters of a vanilla NPC (you'd do this if you wanted a recolor/resprite or otherwise very similar NPC). That's probably what's happening here, not much I can do on my end as far as I'm aware. If the parameters are entered individually instead of using the clone method, the conflict doesn't happen. At least, that's how it's worked in the past.

I ran into a issue using two weapons from your mod during the Old One's Army event. If I am too close and use Death Knell or its upgraded version it kills the portal that spawns them in.

Could have sworn I squashed this one last update. Guess I need to make it specifically avoid killing those NPCs, not just those the game considers invulnerable.

I confirm, i have a conflict this mod + Legend of Terraria 3, conflict only client, dedicated server normal start, if add CheatSheet in client bug disappears, but in server CheatSheet dont install, or delete this/LoT3 mod bug disappear xD

PS my exception:
Ссылка на объект не указывает на экземпляр объекта. (Object reference does not point to an object instance.)
в EnemyMods.NPCs.gNPC.SetDefaults(NPC npc) в(in) c:\Users\Kenneth\Documents\my games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\EnemyMods\NPCs\gNPC.cs:строка 38
в Terraria.ModLoader.NPCLoader.SetupNPC(NPC npc)
в Terraria.NPC.SetDefaults(Int32 Type, Single scaleOverride)
в Terraria.NPC.SetDefaultsKeepPlayerInteraction(Int32 Type)
в Terraria.NPC.CloneDefaults(Int32 Type)
в LegendOfTerraria3.NPCs.PHM.Rare.Dan.SetDefaults() в(in) c:\Users\Saph\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\LegendOfTerraria3\NPCs\PHM\Rare\Dan.cs:строка 15
в Terraria.ModLoader.Mod.SetupContent()
в Terraria.ModLoader.ModLoader.do_Load(Object threadContext)
PPS
Hiccup251 said:
The stuff this mod does in SetDefaults for NPCs can cause conflicts with custom NPCs that use the clone method to get the parameters of a vanilla NPC (you'd do this if you wanted a recolor/resprite or otherwise very similar NPC). That's probably what's happening here, not much I can do on my end as far as I'm aware. If the parameters are entered individually instead of using the clone method, the conflict doesn't happen. At least, that's how it's worked in the past.
how add CheatSheet solved bug?

Last edited:
Made some pretty good progress over the last few days on an update of considerable size, involving the idea of challenge bosses I talked about some months ago. Looking for some opinions regarding this:

1. What sort of rewards should be available from such challenge bosses? Already in development are 4 scaling weapons, one for each of the 4 major weapon groups in this mod.

2. Should the update be released only once it's basically complete, or in chunks as they're developed? Some of the content is progression based, and updates might not allow for easy retroactive progression (might have to start new characters to play through it normally).

3. Does the idea of having a permanent minion that can't be dismissed/resummoned through normal means sound good, or annoying?

4. Challenge bosses might need to be grinded to a degree to get all the rewards. Should they be of static strength (same every time you fight them), or should they scale up in difficulty? Capped scaling, or unlimited?

And, to cap that off, if anyone is interested in spriting one or more of the 4 weapons to be added, let me know via PM. I'm looking for high quality sprites here, since there aren't many to do.

I appreciate this mod. I appreciate it so much I used it as a base for strange beasts. All I did was turn the prefixes on to the town npc's. (And bunnies) I set it to change the npc name, and used the name to change the scale and shades(only dark so far). So, if you start a game and the scout is miniature, he will be on every load. I'm going to eventually change it to a racial thing. So, giants, fairies, orcs, etc. I got the shading to work in the same manner, the code looks for the word dark in the npc name and then colors it.
Anyway, thanks for the source! Should I put your name on my description? Or maybe a link here?
A mention in the credits or a link to the mod is plenty. Thanks for asking, and I'm glad my code was able to help out.

@Hiccup251 1) If they are bosses that scale from earlygame to the very end then I think the items should be utility based so that they feel useful for a long time or items that you can improve with the drops of the higher tier challenge bosses to get a sense of progression and not an other piece of equipment that you toss when you get a better one.

2) If you release it by chunks you could release it from the latest to the first one.

3) Is annoying to me because summons limit the damage output the character can do when you use weapons that do many hits at a time (they limit the amount of hits per second the char can do to the same monster the summon is hitting). So depending on the summon's damage it could be more like a debuff than help.

4) I think it would be nice to have 3 different patterns for each boss and that the first time you summon it does the first pattern and so on and at the 4th+ time it does a random mix of the previous patterns. If that does not convince you I think it should be a bit harder each time but with a short cap like 2 or 3 increases in difficulty only.

@Hiccup251 1) If they are bosses that scale from earlygame to the very end then I think the items should be utility based so that they feel useful for a long time or items that you can improve with the drops of the higher tier challenge bosses to get a sense of progression and not an other piece of equipment that you toss when you get a better one.

2) If you release it by chunks you could release it from the latest to the first one.

3) Is annoying to me because summons limit the damage output the character can do when you use weapons that do many hits at a time (they limit the amount of hits per second the char can do to the same monster the summon is hitting). So depending on the summon's damage it could be more like a debuff than help.

4) I think it would be nice to have 3 different patterns for each boss and that the first time you summon it does the first pattern and so on and at the 4th+ time it does a random mix of the previous patterns. If that does not convince you I think it should be a bit harder each time but with a short cap like 2 or 3 increases in difficulty only.
1. Yes, the bosses would follow a progression similar to vanilla bosses (they're just vanilla bosses with a unique shader, specific prefixes, modified stats, and sometimes a bit of custom AI). I've considered endless greatarrow/bullets from this mod, but with decreased base damage as a possible reward, among other things.

2. When I say release by chunks, I don't just mean to do it as a way to stagger content. I mean it as a way to keep updates coming despite not everything being finished - as such, it could only possibly go from first to last.

3. The minion would be utility-focused (healing/buffs), might not even have a damage output. I just worry that some players would get annoyed at having the thing constantly flying nearby, or maybe they want to try content without help of the minion?

4. That would be an incredible amount of work. When I say increased difficulty, I really only mean simple stats like health and damage.

@Hiccup251
1)That could be an option but maybe at higher tiers would be nice if the utility was based on vanilla things to make the usefulness less niche?

2) Then personally I would prefer for it to be released when it's all finished and would be nice to put some spoilers for it on the forums as it's developing to keep the hype for it alive.

3) I don't get why would you want to make it permanent why not make it a normal summon or an item that auto summons the minion by just being on the player's inventory? if the player doesn't want it they can put the item on a chest. If that doesn't do it for you then make the boss drop 2 items along with giving you the summon. One to make it transparent or less noticeable and an other one that takes off the minion forever.

I've always hated having stuff fly around me constantly...it would drive me nuts to not be able to hide it. Just my 2c.

The bosses sound cool...especially the scaling. Unlimited sounds like it could be a lot of fun, especially if there was a way to track how many times that boss has been scaled up.

FWIW, I'd prefer to have it released once complete. It avoids the potential issues with upgrading stuff mid-playthrough, and also the problem that a lot of mods don't ever get quite finished...not to say you're gonna give up halfway though (I certainly hope not!) but if something were to happen and you had to stop development, all the users would have fully finished packages.

What exactly would this "permanent" minion be? How would it be summoned? Why wouldn't it be able to be dismissed normally?

What exactly would this "permanent" minion be? How would it be summoned? Why wouldn't it be able to be dismissed normally?
The minion would be a sort of alternative reward if you choose not to use any of the 4 weapons I'll be adding. Both the minion and the weapons will scale as you kill the challenge bosses, but you basically have to pick one and stick with it.

I guess it would make a little more sense if I talked about the theme of the update: the new special prefix and the challenge bosses are "void" themed, as are the weapons. The minion would be some sort of purity spirit gained/earned by resisting using the void weapons, which will be quite strong boss-killing weapons (albeit less effective against void enemies).

So, you'd summon the minion for the first time (or, more likely get an item that keeps it permanently spawned) when you destroy something void-related that you could have used yourself. Haven't decided on the exact mechanic for this. It doesn't make sense for it to be summoned like a normal minion, because you should only have the one. This also lets me make it not take up a minion slot.

I'd also like to note that, while standard enemies will spawn with the void prefix occasionally, this minion and the void weapons won't impact your game unless you specifically craft and use challenge boss summoning items. I know that not everyone wants too many tools available that might trivialize vanilla content.

The minion would be a sort of alternative reward if you choose not to use any of the 4 weapons I'll be adding. Both the minion and the weapons will scale as you kill the challenge bosses, but you basically have to pick one and stick with it.

I guess it would make a little more sense if I talked about the theme of the update: the new special prefix and the challenge bosses are "void" themed, as are the weapons. The minion would be some sort of purity spirit gained/earned by resisting using the void weapons, which will be quite strong boss-killing weapons (albeit less effective against void enemies).

So, you'd summon the minion for the first time (or, more likely get an item that keeps it permanently spawned) when you destroy something void-related that you could have used yourself. Haven't decided on the exact mechanic for this. It doesn't make sense for it to be summoned like a normal minion, because you should only have the one. This also lets me make it not take up a minion slot.

I'd also like to note that, while standard enemies will spawn with the void prefix occasionally, this minion and the void weapons won't impact your game unless you specifically craft and use challenge boss summoning items. I know that not everyone wants too many tools available that might trivialize vanilla content.
I'm trying to think of a way to make them mutually exclusive, in this game, and I'm struggling a bit. Perhaps the first destroyed Void Weapon grants the Familiar, with each of the other three Void Weapons granting accessories specifically to power it up, and once you have all three you can combine them? With specialization being vastly more rewarding than half and half. But, here's the problem: what's stopping players from simply fighting the bosses and getting these Void Weapons multiple times?

Maybe two mutually exclusive accessories? One allows you to use the minion, the other allows the weapons to do more than 1 point of damage (or 0 if possible). Can't ever be equipped at the same time. Might be the best way.

Void Contract vs Void Catalyst?

How difficult would it be to implement new (maybe) sprited mutant/hybrid enemies with special abilities.

Like a Zombie Slime, or Beehive Zombie (a zombie that releases bees), or have enemies made of certain materials like Stone, wood, or ores.
Like Diamond Slimes that are tough and resist knockback, and drops diamonds when it is killed.
Wood enemies burn easier and take extra damage from Axes.
Stone are slow and tough.

Could certain enemies be given the abilities of others? Like a Harpy Zombie that can fly?

I'm trying to think of a way to make them mutually exclusive, in this game, and I'm struggling a bit. Perhaps the first destroyed Void Weapon grants the Familiar, with each of the other three Void Weapons granting accessories specifically to power it up, and once you have all three you can combine them? With specialization being vastly more rewarding than half and half. But, here's the problem: what's stopping players from simply fighting the bosses and getting these Void Weapons multiple times?

Maybe two mutually exclusive accessories? One allows you to use the minion, the other allows the weapons to do more than 1 point of damage (or 0 if possible). Can't ever be equipped at the same time. Might be the best way.

Void Contract vs Void Catalyst?
There's no issue code-wise in making them mutually exclusive, it's easy enough.

How difficult would it be to implement new (maybe) sprited mutant/hybrid enemies with special abilities.

Like a Zombie Slime, or Beehive Zombie (a zombie that releases bees), or have enemies made of certain materials like Stone, wood, or ores.
Like Diamond Slimes that are tough and resist knockback, and drops diamonds when it is killed.
Wood enemies burn easier and take extra damage from Axes.
Stone are slow and tough.

Could certain enemies be given the abilities of others? Like a Harpy Zombie that can fly?
Very, very, very difficult/time consuming.

Would it be easier to have the mutants as separate NPCs and just have them compatible with yours?

Just some uncommon enemies that pop up but also can be affected

Would it be easier to have the mutants as separate NPCs and just have them compatible with yours?

Just some uncommon enemies that pop up but also can be affected
Sure, but that's not within the scope of this mod. Any modded NPCs can have prefixes.

New update, with actual content and balance changes! First and foremost, you can now use tickets to craft a new type of throwing weapon, needles. They're pretty straightforward: attack normally to throw one, or hold right-click to ready up to 6, which can then be thrown very quickly (think Shiek in SSB). Each tier has a special effect, apart from tier 1 - Hellfire Needles (tier 3), for example, cause a high damage explosion if the same target is struck by 6 needles. Since there are no vanilla hardmode throwing counterparts to balance with, I'm not sure how these will stack up with other vanilla options and those from other popular mods. Balance feedback is welcome.

The other major change is the implementation of a prefix-based shader system. Rare enemies will stand out especially, appearing as if made of solid gold, but it's been used for thematic and identification purposes as well (mirrored, reaper, etc.). The system uses vanilla dyes, so if there's a dye that you think would match perfectly with a prefix, let me know and I might add it in. Thank @thegamemaster1234 for delving deep into the mysterious world of Terraria shaders and sharing the knowledge found within.

Other points: foil counter damage down 30% in expert mode to account for vastly increased enemy damage. Foils were just too good compared to other melee weapons, especially in the early game. Countering for ~100 damage with a 12 damage weapon is silly. Also, mirrored enemies now reflect for 1/3 second, down from 2/3. Using any projectile weapon with a moderately low fire rate should basically null its effects. Counterplay is good. It was far and away the strongest post-moonlord prefix, so hopefully this brings it more into line with the others.

Back
Top Bottom