tModLoader Learn By Doing

The contents are normal. Doing some reading here, looks like periods aren't able to be parsed in certain environments. I'll look for a way to generalize the read/write so it works in all environments (it's probably due to a system language difference). In the meantime, it should work if you change the "1.0"s to "1"s, and might also work if you replace the periods with commas. I'm not sure what other characters might be separators.
Thanks!
That worked.

@Hiccup251
This is cool but I'm not quite sure how it works. For example "4: Running. Increases move speed. [2%]" is the 2% what you achieve when you are max level at running? if that's the case what would take you to reach max running level? or does that mean that every x times you run it will increase by 2%? If that's the case then how can you adjust the amount of times that you need to run to reach the bonus or how can you set a cap to not make it infinite or are you able to exponentially increase the amount of times that you need to run to be able to achieve the bonus once again?

Interesting. It sounds to me like the multipliers are being read as 10x their intended value, or, more likely, the decimal point is being ignored by the parser (1.0 is read as 10, 0.1 is read as 1). Are you on Mac or Windows? This might be something I can avoid by changing the settings file to a .json or something. Of course, this isn't super high priority, since it can be fixed easily enough, but if a good chunk of players are experiencing the issue I should find a way to fix it.

If you wanted, you could test this by setting the values super low (0.00001) to see if anything changes. If everything is the same, I'm probably right. It's very unlikely this is a mod conflict.
That sounds about right. Will test it out. Haven't been able to play lately. Btw i'm running Windows 10. And so far it seems i'm the only one with trouble with it, and as you said it's a pretty easy fix, so i don't think it's that important.

About the mining thing, would it be easier if you counted the ticks of the pickaxe instead of the block breaking? And using the % power of each pickaxe to scale it? I don't know a thing about modding, but i take it the pickaxes just "damage" the block, so i thought it could be a way to more easily implement a mining skill, cause to be honest i was also surprised to not see a mining skill in a game like terraria.

Anyway, thanks!

Alright, tested it and you were absolutely right. Tried 0.00001 and it was like i had x1 multipliers. Changed the "." to a "," and that seems to work out. Which made me realise i was also gaining x10 experience, which would explain why i gained a level each time i got hit or jumped. :p

That sounds about right. Will test it out. Haven't been able to play lately. Btw i'm running Windows 10. And so far it seems i'm the only one with trouble with it, and as you said it's a pretty easy fix, so i don't think it's that important.

About the mining thing, would it be easier if you counted the ticks of the pickaxe instead of the block breaking? And using the % power of each pickaxe to scale it? I don't know a thing about modding, but i take it the pickaxes just "damage" the block, so i thought it could be a way to more easily implement a mining skill, cause to be honest i was also surprised to not see a mining skill in a game like terraria.

Anyway, thanks!
That's how I did it, with the miner49er mod.

Hello!

I found this mod and thought it was amazing, so i tried it out. I turned out to be really OP by just getting hit by a slime like 3 or 4 times. Ate one mushroom and my life regen already prevents me from drowning. Jumping lvl 5 and i can jump like 2-2.5 times my normal jump. I found that very weird.

I tested out Toughness cause it's the easiest to check. Each lvl is 1/2 defense and 1HP, to a max of 5 defense and 10HP. Turns out each lvl gave me 10HP and 5 defense. Clearly all my stats are multiplied by 10 for some reason. I don't know how to fix it or what is causing it. If it helps here is the list of mods i use:

-Boss Checklist
-Cheat Sheet
-Demolitionist+
-Dye Easy
-Experience and Classes
-imkSushi's Mod
-imkSushi's Mod Drops Addon
-imkSushi's Mod Naturally Occuring Moons
-Max Stack +
-Reduced Grinding
-Thorium
-Vanilla Tweaks
-WeaponOut

If there is a way around this and could get help, really appreciated! Or at least a way to edit them myself to fix this issue.

Cheers!

EDIT:
Well, i just went and edited the multiplier to "0.1" and of course it worked because maths. But it would be interesting to see if this is a bug with another mod or something!

Exact same issue here. After playing with this mod for about 15-20 minutes I take 1 damage from slimes and 1 damage from harpies while wearing ~silver armor (15 defense). The mods that Mr. Paka and I have in common are:

-Boss Checklist
-Thorium
[doublepost=1489937563,1489937275][/doublepost]
Alright, tested it and you were absolutely right. Tried 0.00001 and it was like i had x1 multipliers. Changed the "." to a "," and that seems to work out. Which made me realise i was also gaining x10 experience, which would explain why i gained a level each time i got hit or jumped. :p

How can I change this too? (where is the file to change?)

Edit: I think I found the file and I changed line 1 and 3 to 0.1 instead of 1.0 -- is that correct ?

Last edited:
I just put out an update with a change that might make the settings file region-independent, but I can't test it on my own computer. Basically, the new code is meant to interpret "." as a separator even if the computer would normally ignore it.

This is cool but I'm not quite sure how it works. For example "4: Running. Increases move speed. [2%]" is the 2% what you achieve when you are max level at running? if that's the case what would take you to reach max running level? or does that mean that every x times you run it will increase by 2%? If that's the case then how can you adjust the amount of times that you need to run to reach the bonus or how can you set a cap to not make it infinite or are you able to exponentially increase the amount of times that you need to run to be able to achieve the bonus once again?

The value in brackets is the bonus gained per level. Experience required for further levels is always higher. Most skills need exponentially more EXP with each level, but some scale linearly. If it's not immediately clear what gets you experience for a certain skill, you'll probably find out naturally as you play.

I'm not sure I've answered your question, as it was worded a bit confusingly. If you want to know more, you can always unpack the mod with tModreader and look at the code.

Last edited:
I just put out an update with a change that might make the settings file region-independent, but I can't test it on my own computer. Basically, the new code is meant to interpret "." as a separator even if the computer would normally ignore it.

The value in brackets is the bonus gained per level. Experience required for further levels is always higher. Most skills need exponentially more EXP with each level, but some scale linearly. If it's not immediately clear what gets you experience for a certain skill, you'll probably find out naturally as you play.

I'm not sure I've answered your question, as it was worded a bit confusingly. If you want to know more, you can always unpack the mod with tModreader and look at the code.

I really want to use this mod but I don't know how to configure it so that everyone isn't gaining a level every few actions. I tried to change the file to .01 instead of 1.0 but I was still taking 1 damage from harpy (compared to 42 without mod) and gaining new levels every few minutes.

I'm new to Terraria in general, only been playing about a week, so forgive my noobness. How can I configure this mod to use on my server for slight bonuses without breaking normal gameplay?

I really want to use this mod but I don't know how to configure it so that everyone isn't gaining a level every few actions. I tried to change the file to .01 instead of 1.0 but I was still taking 1 damage from harpy (compared to 42 without mod) and gaining new levels every few minutes.

I'm new to Terraria in general, only been playing about a week, so forgive my noobness. How can I configure this mod to use on my server for slight bonuses without breaking normal gameplay?
Did you install the update I mentioned just now? It should fix that issue. If it doesn't, go into the settings file and change the "1.0"s to "1"s.

Did you install the update I mentioned just now? It should fix that issue. If it doesn't, go into the settings file and change the "1.0"s to "1"s.

Not yet but I will, thanks. I haven't updated a mod in Terraria yet - can I update the mod by using the mod browser or something in the game? Or do I have to delete it and re-download it.

Not yet but I will, thanks. I haven't updated a mod in Terraria yet - can I update the mod by using the mod browser or something in the game? Or do I have to delete it and re-download it.
Just download it off the mod browser again. I think you can even use the filter to narrow it to only mods you have downloaded that have new updates.

Just download it off the mod browser again. I think you can even use the filter to narrow it to only mods you have downloaded that have new updates.

Got it, just updated it. Very easy, thanks.

I will try it out and see how it goes. Thank you again!

How about altering the defense and fall resistance skills a bit in terms of the exp.

Especifically, making the experience earned be propertional to the damage taken. This way, those skills wont get all the way to max by being attacked by slimes or falling from the minimal height, instead requiring to take higher amounts of damage to receive exp.

For example, if you take 10 damage you get 10 exp, 1 damage 1 exp.

Along with the exponentialy growing exp requirement for level up, it trully balances things.

How about altering the defense and fall resistance skills a bit in terms of the exp.

Especifically, making the experience earned be propertional to the damage taken. This way, those skills wont get all the way to max by being attacked by slimes or falling from the minimal height, instead requiring to take higher amounts of damage to receive exp.

For example, if you take 10 damage you get 10 exp, 1 damage 1 exp.

Along with the exponentialy growing exp requirement for level up, it trully balances things.
This is already how it works. Only the first tier takes defense into account, though, so efficient grinding of the higher tier defense skills would probably work with weak enemies.

I've tried out this mod, but when I press the hotkey, it does not display all of the stats. Rather, it only displays the last ten, Fishing through Evasion.

I've tried out this mod, but when I press the hotkey, it does not display all of the stats. Rather, it only displays the last ten, Fishing through Evasion.
You should be able to scroll through the rest by pressing enter and using the arrow keys. The chat box will only display 10 lines at a time.

Would it be possible to extend this mod to support the Alchemic Damage added by the Tremor mod's new Alchemist class?

EDIT: It also appears that some magic weapons add to ranged proficiency instead of magic proficiency, such as the Bismite Wrath from The Spirit Mod.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to extend this mod to support the Alchemic Damage added by the Tremor mod's new Alchemist class?

EDIT: It also appears that some magic weapons add to ranged proficiency instead of magic proficiency, such as the Bismite Wrath from The Spirit Mod.
Probably possible if I had the source code for Tremor, but I don't think it's open source and it would be a significant chunk of work anyway.

Proficiency is based on the item/projectile type. If it's giving ranged experience, it's coded as ranged. If it's a projectile, that doesn't necessarily match up with the item type, though it usually does.

Interesting. It sounds to me like the multipliers are being read as 10x their intended value, or, more likely, the decimal point is being ignored by the parser (1.0 is read as 10, 0.1 is read as 1). Are you on Mac or Windows? This might be something I can avoid by changing the settings file to a .json or something. Of course, this isn't super high priority, since it can be fixed easily enough, but if a good chunk of players are experiencing the issue I should find a way to fix it.

If you wanted, you could test this by setting the values super low (0.00001) to see if anything changes. If everything is the same, I'm probably right. It's very unlikely this is a mod conflict.
Hey there Hiccup, Found the problem for ya, In the text file just put a (,) instead of a (.) your welcome.

Great mod love it. Where can i find the open read i heard you put out if it really is out?

And remember stay awesome.
[doublepost=1490145456,1490144910][/doublepost]Is there a way to reset levels?

Back
Top Bottom