Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly i wish you all luck, wish i could help it would be so cool to be able to work with you guys to make something people will love. But most of all, all the luck

First off, I'd like to thank Engine Software for laying the foundation of TOW: although apparently and unfortunately the partnership between Re-Logic and Engine didn't work out as hoped, I do feel they deserve at least my gratitude for the work they've done so far.

Secondly, I'm very happy to hear that you got Pipeworks on board! Ever since they originally started development on 1.3 for consoles, their Meet the Team interviews and livestreams have proven to me that they definitely have that passion and love for both Terraria and game development that is indispensable for creating a game worthy of the franchise.

With that said, I do have a bit of nagging thought at the back in my head, namely in what measure Terraria: Otherworld still is (or ever was) a 'true' Re-Logic game. Because let's face it, Re-Logic is a fundamentally different company (indie) than Engine or Pipeworks (serious games). And especially now you've switched from one serious game company to another, it starts to feel (keyword being feel) more like you're 'commissioning' a game than that you are actively working together to create a game (e.g. like Bethesda 'commissioned' Fallout: New Vegas from Obisidian). Is that actually the format you are aiming for? And is that a format Re-Logic is going to pursue in the future, or in fact actively trying to evade?

Last edited:
Hope it will still have the weapons level up and the tower defense of the crystals. I love games with either features, so having both in a game I already love has me so excited! But either way I can't wait till this is out and I have no doubt that it will be amazing!! Best of luck!!

So there's still time for my idea where once you beat Moon Lord, you can build a portal that takes you to "Otherworld"? ;)

in what measure Terraria: Otherworld still is (or ever was) a 'true' Re-Logic game.

The initial genesis was a shared idea. The current iteration of that vision is very much guided by Re-Logic. Though ideas may come from Pipeworks - much as they have for years from, say, the community - we will always have the final say and the final guidance on how our games are developed (what is in/out, quality standards, etc).

This is very much a "working together" partnership here - much the same way that an architect and contractor work in tandem to ensure an amazing building in the end. :)

After months and months of no news to "we feel that a new and fresh start/direction is the only way Otherworld will ever reach it's full potential at this point" is very disappointing.

I get that it takes time to make a good game and not wanting to sacrifice quality for speed. I don't mind waiting. It's just disappointing to hear nothing for so long and then to hear something like this. Maybe Cenx got me too hyped up when I saw on her twitter that exciting news about T:OW was on it's way. I don't 100% care which company is doing what. I care more about what the game is turning into and it's progress.

Give me some meat, not scraps. What was so wrong about it? What direction are you wanting to go in? What mechanics are being scrapped? Which ones are being added?

Every news article I see about this game is just very vague and non-descriptive and is just a big suspense machine. They might as well just state "we're working on it.........tune in till next time" because that's pretty much all I get out of it.

I was part of a game community for a long time in which the developers announced a bit too much too soon and too often. Since it was a small indie studio and they consistently had trouble meeting the (fairly grandiose) goals they announced, it resulted in the community as a whole becoming extremely angry, jaded and bitter. Years later, this process is on-going, as the remainder of the community is still waiting for a content update that was announced probably 5 years ago now.

That's a pretty extreme example, but from that experience, I am perfectly happy with relative radio silence. I know you guys will deliver a quality product made with love!

The initial genesis was a shared idea. The current iteration of that vision is very much guided by Re-Logic. Though ideas may come from Pipeworks - much as they have for years from, say, the community - we will always have the final say and the final guidance on how our games are developed (what is in/out, quality standards, etc).

This is very much a "working together" partnership here - much the same way that an architect and contractor work in tandem to ensure an amazing building in the end. :)
Continuing on those musings, Terraria: Otherworld is a game of a size that Re-Logic, as a simple matter of logistics, wouldn't be able to make on its own, even if they dropped all development on Terraria. In the very unlikely case of it not being far to soon to say, are you planning more projects of this scope, either in cooperation with companies like Pipeworks or simply through expanding Re-Logic itself to bring development in house, or are newer projects going to be off a scope that Re-Logic would be able to develop solo as it is?

tl:dr hire me
Honestly, development for this game is kinda a rollercoaster.
Trust me, development for any game is a rollercoaster. One with a lot of ups and downs that is very fun to ride, but not necessarily to watch. :)

I was part of a game community for a long time in which the developers announced a bit too much too soon and too often. Since it was a small indie studio and they consistently had trouble meeting the (fairly grandiose) goals they announced, it resulted in the community as a whole becoming extremely angry, jaded and bitter. Years later, this process is on-going, as the remainder of the community is still waiting for a content update that was announced probably 5 years ago now.

That's a pretty extreme example, but from that experience, I am perfectly happy with relative radio silence. I know you guys will deliver a quality product made with love!

Which game community are you referring to?

I don't think people are looking for promises, at least I'm not. I would just rather have meatier substance than "we're working on it see ya in 6 months." I'd rather have an update on progress and what they are working on than vague descriptions and what their ideological practices are.

I hope you'll deliver new modded terraria video soon.

On topic: So, foundation is here, but contemplating it will take a long time, even longer will take building upon this foundation. I'd say we can be positive about 2017 not being possible release year.

Tbh I'm kinda hoping that tower defense elements will be moved to a minor role.

Continuing on those musings, Terraria: Otherworld is a game that Re-Logic, as a simple matter of logistics, wouldn't be able to make on its own, even if they dropped all development on Terraria

More or less. Either that or make the mistakes that so many companies do - expand far too quickly and then have to compromise on who you are later to keep the lights on.

As for what that means for the future/other projects? Who's to say, really, except that we are very hands-on nowadays with anything that we are involved with. "It depends" would be the answer, I suppose. :p

Give me some meat, not scraps. What was so wrong about it? What direction are you wanting to go in? What mechanics are being scrapped? Which ones are being added?

Enough to go to all of the trouble and time and expense to make the swap. Not really worthwhile to dive into every little detail, though you can get some sense of it from the news update last year when the Engine team was changed up. The long wait was because it takes time to pull changes like this together. Unfortunate, sure - for everyone - but necessary.

That said, once things get rolling, I hope we can appease your appetite for the types of information that you are seeking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom