Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said on the Youtube video that Chippy did about this, I'm of two minds about this:

1). Terraria is... starting to run out of steam for me. I've put enough hours into it, I've done... wow, probably at least two dozen playthroughs of varying kinds and I can only do the same kind of stuff so many times before I just start getting bored. Update 1.3.4 added the DD2 stuff and while I understand a lot of people love it, because they are DD2 players... I myself, am not. I'm not saying the update is bad, I just think that the "tower defense" they implemented in the game is... not really my cup of tea, and most of the rewards are very summoner-heavy. Sure, I suppose summoners love the update but there is very little to be had if you aren't a summoner and don't really make heavy use of turrets or minions (I don't). The non-summoner armor is kinda meh.

There are mods to keep things fresh, but too many mods that add "Lots of content" are developed by people who seemingly love Dark Souls. If I wanted Dark Souls, I'd go play Dark Souls. A couple of the mods I've tried are overtuned, the bosses are ridiculously hard, and I've seen video of other bosses that have ridiculous amounts of health and take simply forever to kill. I remember seeing a couple of Chippy's videos and he's spending upwards of 5 minutes wailing away at the thing and it still has more than half of its health and meanwhile, if he gets hit once or twice, he loses a huge chunk of his health. *sigh* I don't get why people think this is fun, but yeah. I might try Calamity after I get done with Terraria Leveled, but I don't really know how far I'll be getting in that. I don't like beating on the same stupid enemy for 5, 10+ minutes. I had enough of that with Moon Lord.

And I really don't understand why people hate the artwork of T:OW so much. I thought it was different, but certainly better than many games out there. *shrugs* That's just me I guess.

I'm REALLY hoping that 1.3.5 adds something that I will actually enjoy. But, since we've heard nothing about 1.3.5 other than "MOAR FURNITURE! (that was already in the game's files...)" I can't really say anything about something that I know very little about.

2). The promise of a better game... well, ok... I just hope the wait isn't TOO long. I know Re-Logic wouldn't have done this if they didn't think it necessary and I have trust in them that they know what they're doing because they've proven they do a long time ago. I've had minor disagreements about how some elements of Terraria are/were handled, but as a whole, I think Re-Logic does a good job.

One thing I have to ask though, is what's up with all the company swapping? We were dealing with Engine Software for awhile... then 505 Games.... and now its Pipeworks Studios. I hope at some point we'll actually settle on a company at some point? Bringing a company in to work on something and then giving them the boot and bringing in another company.... that's got to be a LOT of wasted time, and money. Hopefully Pipeworks Studios ends up being better. I am not really familiar with them so I can't say much, I'm just hoping they'll deliver. At least they seem to be more vocal and visible to the public, so that's a plus at least.

Lets try to keep the thread on track guys ;p

I hope you lot realise that this is a step forwards rather than backwards.
Without anything being said, ultimately it is clear that Re-Logic thought the game was too far from their intended vision and not coming along as they wanted it to.
Our team had a clear vision for this game – one that we shared with all of you with much shared excitement – and, as much as we hate to say it (and in spite of all of the reforms we tried last year) - the current state of the game is still equal parts far from that vision and well behind schedule.
and as such, explains the lack of updates. Any updates/spoilers would and will ultimately reflect on to the communities expectation for the game which could have had drastic effects.

I'd like to clarify that I am speaking directly from my own perspective and not to take what I say as gospel, but assuming that things go well with the cool lads at Pipeworks then we may get a more steady flow of info with less uneasy radio silence once everything is planned out, organized and stable.

This update is not delaying the game. It is telling us that the project is still live and that Re-logic and Pipeworks will still be working hard to deliver a good game, the game that our esteemed developers at Re-logic envisioned.

So. Is otherworld expected to run into 2018? Because if so, I would be, well, ULTRA TRIGGERED! This game was announced in early 2015? That was 2 years ago! It was expected to release end of 2015. That was not made. Of they are still having problems this late into development, I think the community deserves to know what is wrong.

I feel really bad for the devs who are now getting loads of negative feedback....
It's what it is, they dig their own grave. Kinda unfair what they did to the community so it's expected. I hope they somehow make up for it, 'cause this hurts.

It's what it is, they dig their own grave. Kinda unfair what they did to the community so it's expected. I hope they somehow make up for it, 'cause this hurts.
I'm sure they will make up for it with the game. When it is released. I have no doubts that it will be released. When is the question.

It's not Re-Logic's fault, though, from the sounds of it. So I wouldn't hurl any negative feedback at Re-Logic. That's just stupid.

Despite what I said above, I still have every bit of respect for Re-Logic. I know it ain't their fault. Sounds like they hired some people and they turned out to not put out the kind of work that Re-Logic wanted to see for whatever reason. So, if Engine Software wasn't able to perform, they had to try someone else.
[doublepost=1491330131,1491330077][/doublepost]

Don't hold your breath; Loki said it was "very unlikely" it will be released in 2017.

But again... time will tell etc. I think for the most part, we should just be hopeful and supportive of 1.3.5, and hope its' enough to keep us interested.

Loki did say that re-logic by thierselves would never be able to complete the game. They are great, but small.

It's great to hear something new about Terraria Other World. I respect the decision for the radio silence, I am still looking forward to the release.

Loki did say that re-logic by thierselves would never be able to complete the game. They are great, but small.

And that's the truth, absolutely. That's why they needed the help of Engine Software. But it sounds like ES didn't put out the kind of work Re-Logic wanted, and so they decided to let them go and get Pipeworks Studios instead.

I can understand why they'd do that, it's just.... Oi. Massive amounts of delays for an already delayed game. It's a bit trying on the patience, especially when there aren't very many games coming up that I'm interested in, and I miss having fun in Terraria...

Terraria is an awesome game, but you can only play it so much until you need new content.

WAAAAT? 2017 still has like 8 more months in it!! The wait is going to be unbearable.

He said that a couple pages ago. Someone asked him about a 2017 release and he said "Very Unlikely". But then again, it is 8 months and a lot can happen in 8 months. I wouldn't write it off entirely, but yet I sure wouldn't place any bets on it ('17 release) happening either.

Best thing we can hope for, is a stellar release of 1.3.5, that has some sort of content that adds a good chunk of stuff to one's playthrough.

And/or for someone to make a huge content mod that isn't "Dark Souls in Terraria".

I think most people, myself included, are fine with waiting longer, whether that be months or years. My only suggestion would be to communicate more with people following development in the future, even if it's just a "we're still here". I do understand that you'd want to avoid the panic, though. Kinda a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Other than that, I wish Pipeworks the best and thanks for the info :)

I think most people, myself included, are fine with waiting longer, whether that be months or years. My only suggestion would be to communicate more with people following development in the future, even if it's just a "we're still here". I do understand that you'd want to avoid the panic, though. Kinda a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Other than that, I wish Pipeworks the best and thanks for the info :)

Edge of Space burned out in a similar way. They promised this, promised that, they'd release a few small updates here-and-there, and then they dumped their game on steam as a "Full game" and then just took the money and ran away.

But then, Early Access is a little different than a Game In Development... much less likely that a developer is going to dump a game and run unless it gets to the point it is absolutely impossible to reasonably finish it.

And I know Re-Logic ain't that kind of developer.

I'm kinda bummed out for this, but hey, at least the art looks way better and judgung from the quality of Terraria's updates I can't say I don't trust you.
The wait will be worth

One thing I REALLY wish they would do... is make a texture pack update for Terraria.

That alone would add so much life to the original Terraria. Make an optional texture pack that we can all download and enable that overhauls the look of the game. It'd still be the same game, but it would FEEL different because of how different everything looks. That would extend the life of the game while we wait.

There's a couple fan-made packs going on, but they have like, what, 1% of the game done? (Not blaming the artist(s)/fan(s) associated with it: it's a lot of hard work).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom