tModLoader Assorted Mods by Ef

Simple Auto Chests: Do you prefer "elaborate" names for the chests or simpler ones?

• Elaborate

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Simple

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I know that an atlatl "dart" is pretty far from the darts you would use in a blowgun or dart gun. I just wanted to have an atlatl and Mesoamerican-style set because it's cool :). But thanks for trying out my mods!
That's fair, the atlatl is nifty and darts see so little use in Terraria. :D

For the simple auto chests mod, if you were to kill the WoF using the Hostile Managerial Staff Disruptor pre-hardmode, will it activate hardmode or not?

Edit: Can you try to let us be able to use modded bosses in that chest? Like Granite Energy Storm, or some of the fargos summons? (Oh boy try do the seal that summons all bosses... xD)

Last edited:
For the simple auto chests mod, if you were to kill the WoF using the Hostile Managerial Staff Disruptor pre-hardmode, will it activate hardmode or not?

Edit: Can you try to let us be able to use modded bosses in that chest? Like Granite Energy Storm, or some of the fargos summons? (Oh boy try do the seal that summons all bosses... xD)

Using the boss chest won't activate hardmode as far as I know. As for modded bosses, I'd have to hardcode them in, so I don't know if I can really do that and still remain compatible with all combinations of mods.

I just crashed when I fired the Messier Mortar directly at a Crawltipede's tail, using Rocket IIIs. Game froze, then said it wasn't responding and has to close.

I just crashed when I fired the Messier Mortar directly at a Crawltipede's tail, using Rocket IIIs. Game froze, then said it wasn't responding and has to close.

I'll look into it. The "Pillar Items Plus" mod is still pretty buggy.

Edit: Sorry, I can't seem to replicate it. Any other mods you were using that might be related?

Last edited:
Um ... hello there.

I want to start by saying that I really like those mods of yours, specifically the auto-chest one and to some degree the dart one (that is to say, I like both of them, but I have a very nice bow now and a bajilion of adequate arrows so I didn't really get a chance to actually try the dart one out yet). I don't have the pillar item one as with me getting to the lunar event from a fresh start will take a year, by the way, so that's why no comment about this one.

That said, a random question: is it possible to get junk items with the Aquatic Fauna Detainer if your fishing power is low enough? I'm asking because I'm having problems getting seaweed for more than one chest (even after deliberately fishing in a miniature pond, I got 5 of those total, which all went for the first chest, and I'm sitting at 80 cans and 50 shoes right now) and it would be kind of a waste to ... well, waste, 24 minutes of getting decent stuff if you actually can't, so I'd rather ask on the off-chance that you remember.

On another note, it's ... well, not really a complaint but I guess it still is, though it's more of a thought rant, but I think that certain chests are a bit too easy to craft for what they give. I mean, I was able to make a Herbal Greenhouse before seeing either a Fireblossom or a Moonglow (and before having any Blinkroot or Deathweed seeds), and the requirements for the Satanic Resource Manager are kind of meagre considering that the chests are supposed to be auto-gathering stuff for people who've already mastered those particular aspects and the materials for this one can be gotten (unless playing Hardcore) by doing ninja-suicide runs with a few buckets of water and a hellevator as you only need 90 Hellstone (not hard, nor even takes a long time, if you just bunker yourself, concentrate on digging, and accept that you will probably die when the bone worm spawns) and 2 guide voodoo dolls (run away from Demons, only fight Voodoo Demons) and afterwards you will have all the Hellstone you can get. I don't know, maybe I just got used to the expert mode being ridiculous (I'm playing with both enemy modifier mods), but ... well, I can guess that for a person who doesn't know what they are doing getting those 480 clay pieces for the herb chest is hard enough that they will get all the herbs before that so it's probably me being an outlier, and other people might have a somewhat easier time surviving in the underworld due to the fact that I never smashed a single Shadow Orb or Crimson Heart ever (yay for skipping tiers) and my first fight against the eater of worlds was just me killing a few pieces to get the Shadow Scales for a pickaxe and then escaping before I die (again, yay for skipping tiers) so it may again be just me being an outlier. I mean, sure, the herb chest requires 5 diamonds, so that is something, but with the Regolith Gatherer and an Extractinator that's a complete non-issue, and the Jungle Rose ... well, it's more up to luck and patience than any herb-related resource gathering.

What I meant with all that rambling is that the underworld chest would probably be more balanced if it required an enemy banner of some sorts from there (Fire Bat would be good, those things are plentiful so anyone who actually survives in the underworld well enough to stay there and fight would have one). Likewise, though I like the Jungle Rose as a material for making the herb chest because I always go out of my way to get those things for myself (because it's the earliest-accessible head vanity item that shows the hairstyle, and it also looks good), I feel that due to its random nature it might be something that some less lucky people have to go out of their way to grind, sometimes for probably too long for anyone's liking, and it might be better if instead of that you crafted a seed packet with whatever amount of each seed type (5 would probably be good, though I can see it being more) and used that instead. I am not forcing you to do any of those things, mind you, I'm just rambling after probably spending a bit too long playing Terraria.

Um ... hello there.

I want to start by saying that I really like those mods of yours, specifically the auto-chest one and to some degree the dart one (that is to say, I like both of them, but I have a very nice bow now and a bajilion of adequate arrows so I didn't really get a chance to actually try the dart one out yet). I don't have the pillar item one as with me getting to the lunar event from a fresh start will take a year, by the way, so that's why no comment about this one.

That said, a random question: is it possible to get junk items with the Aquatic Fauna Detainer if your fishing power is low enough? I'm asking because I'm having problems getting seaweed for more than one chest (even after deliberately fishing in a miniature pond, I got 5 of those total, which all went for the first chest, and I'm sitting at 80 cans and 50 shoes right now) and it would be kind of a waste to ... well, waste, 24 minutes of getting decent stuff if you actually can't, so I'd rather ask on the off-chance that you remember.

On another note, it's ... well, not really a complaint but I guess it still is, though it's more of a thought rant, but I think that certain chests are a bit too easy to craft for what they give. I mean, I was able to make a Herbal Greenhouse before seeing either a Fireblossom or a Moonglow (and before having any Blinkroot or Deathweed seeds), and the requirements for the Satanic Resource Manager are kind of meagre considering that the chests are supposed to be auto-gathering stuff for people who've already mastered those particular aspects and the materials for this one can be gotten (unless playing Hardcore) by doing ninja-suicide runs with a few buckets of water and a hellevator as you only need 90 Hellstone (not hard, nor even takes a long time, if you just bunker yourself, concentrate on digging, and accept that you will probably die when the bone worm spawns) and 2 guide voodoo dolls (run away from Demons, only fight Voodoo Demons) and afterwards you will have all the Hellstone you can get. I don't know, maybe I just got used to the expert mode being ridiculous (I'm playing with both enemy modifier mods), but ... well, I can guess that for a person who doesn't know what they are doing getting those 480 clay pieces for the herb chest is hard enough that they will get all the herbs before that so it's probably me being an outlier, and other people might have a somewhat easier time surviving in the underworld due to the fact that I never smashed a single Shadow Orb or Crimson Heart ever (yay for skipping tiers) and my first fight against the eater of worlds was just me killing a few pieces to get the Shadow Scales for a pickaxe and then escaping before I die (again, yay for skipping tiers) so it may again be just me being an outlier. I mean, sure, the herb chest requires 5 diamonds, so that is something, but with the Regolith Gatherer and an Extractinator that's a complete non-issue, and the Jungle Rose ... well, it's more up to luck and patience than any herb-related resource gathering.

What I meant with all that rambling is that the underworld chest would probably be more balanced if it required an enemy banner of some sorts from there (Fire Bat would be good, those things are plentiful so anyone who actually survives in the underworld well enough to stay there and fight would have one). Likewise, though I like the Jungle Rose as a material for making the herb chest because I always go out of my way to get those things for myself (because it's the earliest-accessible head vanity item that shows the hairstyle, and it also looks good), I feel that due to its random nature it might be something that some less lucky people have to go out of their way to grind, sometimes for probably too long for anyone's liking, and it might be better if instead of that you crafted a seed packet with whatever amount of each seed type (5 would probably be good, though I can see it being more) and used that instead. I am not forcing you to do any of those things, mind you, I'm just rambling after probably spending a bit too long playing Terraria.

Thanks for the response! I'm glad you're enjoying my mod.

The fishing chest doesn't produce the junk items. I guess I didn't think people would want them for any reason, so I didn't include them. On reflection, if you're trying to make more fishing chests, you might want some. I could add a conversion recipe to turn bass/wooden crates into tin cans/boots/seaweed.

The crafting recipes for the chests are somewhat arbitrary, to be honest. I didn't really try to make the recipes perfectly balanced so that players absolutely needed to be at a specific point in order to craft them. For the greenhouse, I assumed that the diamonds and the clay pots were enough of an effort to balance the yields. None of the plants are too hard to find seeds for, but I guess it is possible to craft the greenhouse before acquiring some of them, esp. fireblossom or deathweed. The jungle rose does mean you have to explore the jungle first, but you could potentially do a ninja-suicide run for that as well. I know I included a recipe for the jungle rose using the jungle gatherer (10 spores + rose) and if you use imksushi's mod, I think that includes a crafting recipe for that as well. I could alter the crafting recipe to include plant seeds, or maybe I could allow the greenhouse to only grow copies of plants it already contains.

As for the hell gatherer, it seems to me like it's not as unbalanced as you think. The two hell items you need to craft it (hellstone + voodoo dolls) are really the only things the chest produces once you make it. If you "cheat" and get your 90 hellstone and 2 guide voodoo dolls early, your only reward is more hellstone and voodoo dolls. Over several days, you'll break even, but there's not that big an advantage over turning the hellstone into armor/weapons and collecting more in greater safety. So while you can cheat the system for some chests and get the materials before you theoretically should, your only reward is more of those same materials. I guess that might mean you don't have to revisit that area, but in most cases you're going to have to wait a long time to get usable quantities of those resources. So I don't consider it a "cheat" to get these chests early, so long as the materials you get from it are the just the materials you needed to collect to get the chest in the first place.

Thanks again for the detailed response, and let me know if there's anything else!

Well, I will start by saying that I appreciate the response.

Going for the individual points, I will say that I didn't know about the recipe for the Jungle Rose, nor about the one in imkSushi's mod, but yeah, that is a good argument for why this isn't really that random. I probably would have known about the recipes had farming the jungle for that item not been pretty much an early-game ritual for me. Oh well. As for the idea of making the herb chest only give you herbs that you already have in it, I will say that while this isn't objectively a bad idea, it's probably going to result in people being annoyed because it means they'd have to take all the herbs and then put one of each back, which some probably will consider tedious; as such, I think that of the two possibilities requiring the player to have the seeds for crafting is probably going to be less annoying, but really, it's ultimately about whether or not the fact that you can have the chest before having the herbs is something that bothers you, and if it doesn't then I think it's all fine because I get how the current cost can be high enough for people who play the game normally.

As for the underworld chest, yeah, I see your point. It did, and does, seem a bit unbalanced to me because the relatively low cost for something that can give you the normally-considered-best pre-hardmode items that aren't boss drops with some patience as soon as you get it (thus eliminating the “well, I need materials from there but I'm undergeared for the place” stage, while at the same time allowing for potentially infinite recrafts of a few items which will be useful until hardmode begins), but I guess most people don't play the game in as crazy a way as I do and Hellstone is plentiful enough that with patience it would be the same regardless. Yeah, I should probably just play the game like a normal person ...

The crafting of seaweed from crates and fish I'm kind of conflicted on. I mean, it's not a bad idea or anything, but it would seem weird to have a recipe for crafting a junk item that only has one use, so why not cut the middleman and make an alternative recipe for the fishing chest that requires fish and crates instead? I mean, it would be one more crafting recipe regardless, I think it would just feel more natural that way.

For anything else ... well, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but I did have a few random ideas. One, there does not seem to be a craft for sandstone anywhere (nor compressed sand) and while it is not a material many people use it still is a building material and one that as far as I know is limited in quantity so I propose a recipe for the Regolith Gatherer to make dirt into compressed sand (2->1, since it's compressed) and stone into sandstone (1->1). Two, as there normally isn't a way to craft hive blocks I think it would be nice if Tropical Flora Harvester started slowly gathering them once the player defeats Queen Bee; well, alternatively there could be a new honey chest, but as duplicating liquids isn't the hardest thing to do honey isn't really an issue so I presume it would make more sense to roll that into the jungle chest.

And three, I was looking at the crafting options of the Insect Breeder, some of them fairly comfortable (the gold coin ones) and some of them less so (the silver coin ones) what with the annoyance in crafting anything that uses numerous coins as a part of the recipe, and I started thinking: have you considered making the bait chest a bit more like the statue chest? I mean, in reading the thread I came upon posts by people who asked for the chest to give a bit more bait variety by itself, which was countered by saying that it would serve to make item clutter, and it came to me as I was playing that if the chest had a default output of grasshoppers which could in some way be changed by the players themselves by putting a specific item inside of the chest, then that would make those people happy without creating clutter for everyone. And you don't really need to make new items for that as as far as I know all the bait animals have either a caged or a jarred version which could serve as the choice token (so to say). You'd just have to adjust the amount of bait items spawned so that they'd give the same relative bait power per day (and if making it have a default production that isn't given when it has something inside is hard then it's not a problem either for grasshoppers can be caged too; it's just an issue of having enough glass, really, and with this mod this is not a problem at all).

Well, I will start by saying that I appreciate the response.

Going for the individual points, I will say that I didn't know about the recipe for the Jungle Rose, nor about the one in imkSushi's mod, but yeah, that is a good argument for why this isn't really that random. I probably would have known about the recipes had farming the jungle for that item not been pretty much an early-game ritual for me. Oh well. As for the idea of making the herb chest only give you herbs that you already have in it, I will say that while this isn't objectively a bad idea, it's probably going to result in people being annoyed because it means they'd have to take all the herbs and then put one of each back, which some probably will consider tedious; as such, I think that of the two possibilities requiring the player to have the seeds for crafting is probably going to be less annoying, but really, it's ultimately about whether or not the fact that you can have the chest before having the herbs is something that bothers you, and if it doesn't then I think it's all fine because I get how the current cost can be high enough for people who play the game normally.

As for the underworld chest, yeah, I see your point. It did, and does, seem a bit unbalanced to me because the relatively low cost for something that can give you the normally-considered-best pre-hardmode items that aren't boss drops with some patience as soon as you get it (thus eliminating the “well, I need materials from there but I'm undergeared for the place” stage, while at the same time allowing for potentially infinite recrafts of a few items which will be useful until hardmode begins), but I guess most people don't play the game in as crazy a way as I do and Hellstone is plentiful enough that with patience it would be the same regardless. Yeah, I should probably just play the game like a normal person ...

The crafting of seaweed from crates and fish I'm kind of conflicted on. I mean, it's not a bad idea or anything, but it would seem weird to have a recipe for crafting a junk item that only has one use, so why not cut the middleman and make an alternative recipe for the fishing chest that requires fish and crates instead? I mean, it would be one more crafting recipe regardless, I think it would just feel more natural that way.

For anything else ... well, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but I did have a few random ideas. One, there does not seem to be a craft for sandstone anywhere (nor compressed sand) and while it is not a material many people use it still is a building material and one that as far as I know is limited in quantity so I propose a recipe for the Regolith Gatherer to make dirt into compressed sand (2->1, since it's compressed) and stone into sandstone (1->1). Two, as there normally isn't a way to craft hive blocks I think it would be nice if Tropical Flora Harvester started slowly gathering them once the player defeats Queen Bee; well, alternatively there could be a new honey chest, but as duplicating liquids isn't the hardest thing to do honey isn't really an issue so I presume it would make more sense to roll that into the jungle chest.

And three, I was looking at the crafting options of the Insect Breeder, some of them fairly comfortable (the gold coin ones) and some of them less so (the silver coin ones) what with the annoyance in crafting anything that uses numerous coins as a part of the recipe, and I started thinking: have you considered making the bait chest a bit more like the statue chest? I mean, in reading the thread I came upon posts by people who asked for the chest to give a bit more bait variety by itself, which was countered by saying that it would serve to make item clutter, and it came to me as I was playing that if the chest had a default output of grasshoppers which could in some way be changed by the players themselves by putting a specific item inside of the chest, then that would make those people happy without creating clutter for everyone. And you don't really need to make new items for that as as far as I know all the bait animals have either a caged or a jarred version which could serve as the choice token (so to say). You'd just have to adjust the amount of bait items spawned so that they'd give the same relative bait power per day (and if making it have a default production that isn't given when it has something inside is hard then it's not a problem either for grasshoppers can be caged too; it's just an issue of having enough glass, really, and with this mod this is not a problem at all).

Hey, the great thing about Terraria is that you can play any way you want! You want to make Hellstone armor before fighting the Eye of Cthulhu, feel free!

That's a good point with the herbs, if you just did a "take all" you'd make the chest stop working. I'll think about how I could make the recipe better without adding too many ingredients or new items. Same with the fishing chest, I guess the seaweed isn't really necessary from a gameplay perspective and can be annoying to try to intentionally collect.

A recipe for sandstone is a good idea. I can add it to the Block Gatherer's recipes easily enough. Hive blocks would also be a good addition to the jungle chest. Maybe I can also make it a "source" of honey for crafting bottles as well?

You're right about the insect breeder. "Crafting" with coins doesn't work like buying things, there's no auto-splitting the denominations so if you want to craft large numbers of something that uses a lot of silver coins it's a hassle. It's a problem for both this and the fishing chest. Using terrariums in the same manner as statues is a really good idea that I hadn't considered before. It means you can get every kind of bait without getting them all at once, and ensures that you have captured at least one of the bait type before automating its collection. I don't think there's anything analogous for fish, but it's a great idea for bait.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

Have you ever considered allowing the plant gatherer to gather other materials? I always find myself farming for pumpkins to farm the Pumpkin Moon, and it would be incredibly nice if I they just appeared in the chest.

However, Auto-Chests is probably my favorite mod in the entire community, so please keep up the good work! Fantastic mod.

Have you ever considered allowing the plant gatherer to gather other materials? I always find myself farming for pumpkins to farm the Pumpkin Moon, and it would be incredibly nice if I they just appeared in the chest.

However, Auto-Chests is probably my favorite mod in the entire community, so please keep up the good work! Fantastic mod.

Well I'm flattered! I never realized something so simple and slapdash would be so popular! And pumpkins are a good idea, I think I included cactus in the plant chest already but pumpkins didn't occur to me as they weren't a potion ingredient. In vanilla you only need them for pies and pumpkin moon medallions, but other mods might make use of them. It's simple enough to add in, I'll keep it in mind for the next release.

Since you responded so positively to that, I was wondering, maybe I could offer some other suggestions.

Perhaps something like a gem chest? I'm always looking for rubies or sapphires for some modded crafting recipes, but I always have to go extractinate or go mining in order to get one, which gets boring eventually.

Maybe something like the fishing chest/boss chest, we could have something like an explorer chest, that if you put torches/rope/pickaxe/sword in the chest, it will give corresponding levels of loot from things that you would find in underground chests, or pots.

Perhaps we could have something like the Lihzahrd chest, like a mechanics chest, that collects wire/traps/plates/mine tracks/etc.

Just a couple suggestions. Thanks again! :D

Back
Top Bottom