Map-Adventure "A Crim Fate"

I got a few concepts for future maps I want to work on. Which would interest you the most?

• A sequel to A Crim Fate

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • A huge open world, RPG esque map

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • A team-based PvP map with different classes (Basically Team Fortress 2)

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • A brand new unique stealth-based assassin kind of map

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Something else! (Tell in comments)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • NOTHING. This map sucks and you can not improve. I don't want to see you in the map section again.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Don't know where you are exactly, but...
If you go to the lifting crane or whatever it's called right past the water pipe there is a hidden switch on it. Up there's a thing that might help you.
Do you mean the mandible blade?

Don't know where you are exactly, but...
If you go to the lifting crane or whatever it's called right past the water pipe there is a hidden switch on it. Up there's a thing that might help you.
Well you know that bit "The Desert Mining Facility" I'm there. You are supposed to like find a switch that lets you get to the other town (I think it's name might have been something tower?) that needs help but I can't find it because of STUPID TOMB CRAWLERS. Lol wait just got on the map and flipped that stupid switch so many times I broke the water pipe. I'll see if that helps.

bump , sorry
there are some issues with the brain of cthulhu
once you step on the heart , the balcony opens , can you make it like , some bridge with crimtane with a lever at the end of it , and when you activate it , the balcony door opens

Hey, just wondering. How exactly do adventure maps work? I am a huge noob in this area and I don't want to mess anything up by accidentally doing something wrong.

Once downloaded, how do they open and work and all that? Thanks.

Hey, just wondering. How exactly do adventure maps work? I am a huge noob in this area and I don't want to mess anything up by accidentally doing something wrong.

Once downloaded, how do they open and work and all that? Thanks.
Just make a new character and follow the rules in the start of the map. Other than that, just follow the story and keep an eye out for secret paths and chests. There shouldn't be much confusion once you get started, but if you have any more questions just ask.

Just make a new character and follow the rules in the start of the map. Other than that, just follow the story and keep an eye out for secret paths and chests. There shouldn't be much confusion once you get started, but if you have any more questions just ask.
While, I'll try it out then! Can't wait to see how it works!

Just finished the map! Tons of fun, and I really enjoyed it!

I can't wait to see stuff from you in the future. Let's see.... 17 topaz and 8 chalices! I must have missed the worm; I had the shadow key, though.

Hey people!

I have another map in the works right now, but it's still in planning stage. I've decided that my plans were a little too ambitious, so I'm going to make a different map around the size of A Crim Fate. I don't have a lot planned except that it'll include pirates, tropics and shipwrecks!

Now if only we could change backgrounds somehow.

I will also still make that update to ACF with all your feedback sometime. Been a little burned out on Terraria for a while.

EDIT:

Alright everyone! A Crim Fate 1.1 is up and ready for download. If you've already played the map there's really no need to revisit it if you don't want to, but I have done some improvements and fixes, including nerfing the loot before the final boss. This should make the battle slightly more challenging, but not very hard.

Last edited:
Hey people!

I have another map in the works right now, but it's still in planning stage. I've decided that my plans were a little too ambitious, so I'm going to make a different map around the size of A Crim Fate. I don't have a lot planned except that it'll include pirates, tropics and shipwrecks!

Now if only we could change backgrounds somehow.

I will also still make that update to ACF with all your feedback sometime. Been a little burned out on Terraria for a while.

EDIT:

Alright everyone! A Crim Fate 1.1 is up and ready for download. If you've already played the map there's really no need to revisit it if you don't want to, but I have done some improvements and fixes, including nerfing the loot before the final boss. This should make the battle slightly more challenging, but not very hard.

Nice! I have been wanting to play the map again, with an emphasis on another class, so I may try it out.
Remember, folks! Save extra golden keys so you can use them on Summoner chests. That class combined with any of the others is awesome.

This was cool playing solo, I feel I took longer than I probably should've to complete but that was probably up to my own fail. (around 5hrs, not a landspeed record by any means)

Played the 1.1 version. Went with mostly Melee chests.

Felt quite weak initially in this map until part a ways through the mine when you actually start to get geared up by finding secret gears.

Ran into a perfect storm of fail, got to the entrance to the mine coming out of the desert in a sandstorm going the wrong way, this sand storm wouldn't let me jump the gap to the house.
Meanwhile being chased by antlion chargers and tumble weeds and those crimson flying dudes, and one flying ant lying in for me down the chain.
No time to grab the chain and dive down as already suffered enough attrition that another few hits were going to be fatal.
Take a guess on which death I chose ;p

There were a few similar fail return trips until I finally got across that gap saved at the bed and was able to start the journey down the mine.
Think my main hate was dealing with sand enemies more than the crimson dudes early on as the knockback on weapons doesn't quite account for their move speed and I couldn't be arsed dodging properly.

Anyway tough with silver gear early on until you get geared up imo when playing solo. But after mine more than enough gear to get through with melee class, similar to I guess other peoples comments regarding being strong.
Avoided ranged cross class as I'm always hesitant about running out of ammo (especially when there's a LOT of exploring)
Magic/summoner class I haven't looked at the gears in the map but there's quite a range available now to tailor balance these days.

Mine was all good, personally I would've wanted more light since in the vanilla game I am quite torch happy but was able to play around this. (part way through I did cheat but ill get to that.)

Took awhile for me to find all the switches to hit to open up the first boss, this is fine.
The save bed closest to the boss is a trap I swear, much easier to save at the water pump bed and run back then the far east of that room down there.

+1 for giving a copper watch early on so I could check the time and fight the boss at the right hour. A usually unavoidable annoyance when playing against bosses that nighttime required, especially with a boss part way through a map you can't really time when an average player will get there usually.
-1 to me for not loading up in my own server so I could change the time of day at will.

After killing the first boss and making a bridge with crimtane blocks, to the west in sector 1, I got super lost. Super freaking lost.
Got to a part where there were dribbler statues to the south east which as far as I could tell was just loot and a trap. To the west a looped minecart track that fell onto itself taking you in a circle.
At the top of the track appeared to be a switch that would trigger when a mine cart would cross it causing blue torches to lights up.
But I couldn't really see or find what effect this had, lights on or lights off. I couldn't find anything else that did anything apart from traveling back to the meat grinder dribbler trap.

There appeared to be a upward track to the west that approached a wooden/stone walled off section to another part but I couldn't discern whether this would be trigger by something and open up or if there was another way.

I spent about 20mins and kinda gave up going around in circles and decided to just cheat. Plowed through the wood and stone that went to another cave, which again couldn't find a trigger to open another door after going around in circles for ages. So did it again winding me up at the second village with quests.

Not my proudest map playing moment =(

Anyway after reaching the second village there were no navigational issues and it was smooth sailing to the end of the map.

Slime king can be mostly cheesed by hanging off the green roof vine in the middle of the first section and crapping hell on it until it dies.

The platform underneath the heart at the brain of Cthulu boss that spanned the whole horizontal distance of the arena was generous and honestly a lifesaver vs the triple brains being able to just run horizontally then change direction as needed to minimize taking damage. Bit awkward trying to use cloud in a bottle as the movement down there so staying on that one platform worked for me.

Played on a lower resolution on purpose so the end credits were cut off for me. Not sure if this effected anything else in the map except where random enemy spawns were placed. (meat grinder dribbler trap had a constant spawn of antlion chargers flooding in making it hard to get out when the dribblers were active haha)

Not sure how I got here at the end but was fun making the heart jump all over those switches eheh.
Capture 2017-07-23 18_02_50.png

Anyway dunno if the rant in the spoiler is useful to you or not but had a bit of fun jumping around this map thanks for making it!

Last edited:
This was cool playing solo, I feel I took longer than I probably should've to complete but that was probably up to my own fail. (around 5hrs, not a landspeed record by any means)

Played the 1.1 version. Went with mostly Melee chests.

Felt quite weak initially in this map until part a ways through the mine when you actually start to get geared up by finding secret gears.

Ran into a perfect storm of fail, got to the entrance to the mine coming out of the desert in a sandstorm going the wrong way, this sand storm wouldn't let me jump the gap to the house.
Meanwhile being chased by antlion chargers and tumble weeds and those crimson flying dudes, and one flying ant lying in for me down the chain.
No time to grab the chain and dive down as already suffered enough attrition that another few hits were going to be fatal.
Take a guess on which death I chose ;p

There were a few similar fail return trips until I finally got across that gap saved at the bed and was able to start the journey down the mine.
Think my main hate was dealing with sand enemies more than the crimson dudes early on as the knockback on weapons doesn't quite account for their move speed and I couldn't be arsed dodging properly.

Anyway tough with silver gear early on until you get geared up imo when playing solo. But after mine more than enough gear to get through with melee class, similar to I guess other peoples comments regarding being strong.
Avoided ranged cross class as I'm always hesitant about running out of ammo (especially when there's a LOT of exploring)
Magic/summoner class I haven't looked at the gears in the map but there's quite a range available now to tailor balance these days.

Mine was all good, personally I would've wanted more light since in the vanilla game I am quite torch happy but was able to play around this. (part way through I did cheat but ill get to that.)

Took awhile for me to find all the switches to hit to open up the first boss, this is fine.
The save bed closest to the boss is a trap I swear, much easier to save at the water pump bed and run back then the far east of that room down there.

+1 for giving a copper watch early on so I could check the time and fight the boss at the right hour. A usually unavoidable annoyance when playing against bosses that nighttime required, especially with a boss part way through a map you can't really time when an average player will get there usually.
-1 to me for not loading up in my own server so I could change the time of day at will.

After killing the first boss and making a bridge with crimtane blocks, to the west in sector 1, I got super lost. Super freaking lost.
Got to a part where there were dribbler statues to the south east which as far as I could tell was just loot and a trap. To the west a looped minecart track that fell onto itself taking you in a circle.
At the top of the track appeared to be a switch that would trigger when a mine cart would cross it causing blue torches to lights up.
But I couldn't really see or find what effect this had, lights on or lights off. I couldn't find anything else that did anything apart from traveling back to the meat grinder dribbler trap.

There appeared to be a upward track to the west that approached a wooden/stone walled off section to another part but I couldn't discern whether this would be trigger by something and open up or if there was another way.

I spent about 20mins and kinda gave up going around in circles and decided to just cheat. Plowed through the wood and stone that went to another cave, which again couldn't find a trigger to open another door after going around in circles for ages. So did it again winding me up at the second village with quests.

Not my proudest map playing moment =(

Anyway after reaching the second village there were no navigational issues and it was smooth sailing to the end of the map.

Slime king can be mostly cheesed by hanging off the green roof vine in the middle of the first section and crapping hell on it until it dies.

The platform underneath the heart at the brain of Cthulu boss that spanned the whole horizontal distance of the arena was generous and honestly a lifesaver vs the triple brains being able to just run horizontally then change direction as needed to minimize taking damage. Bit awkward trying to use cloud in a bottle as the movement down there so staying on that one platform worked for me.

Played on a lower resolution on purpose so the end credits were cut off for me. Not sure if this effected anything else in the map except where random enemy spawns were placed. (meat grinder dribbler trap had a constant spawn of antlion chargers flooding in making it hard to get out when the dribblers were active haha)

Not sure how I got here at the end but was fun making the heart jump all over those switches eheh.
View attachment 177515

Anyway dunno if the rant in the spoiler is useful to you or not but had a bit of fun jumping around this map thanks for making it!
First off, thanks for playing :)

Second, I'd like to know your exact resolution. The map should support 720p and up. Otherwise the credits and the pressure pad that opens the wood/stone gate might not be visible. Also you are supposed to get binoculars in the very last chest which will help you see the credits. In case you were playing in 720p+ and no binoculars were there, I might have to update the map.

Anyway, thanks for the critizism, it really helps.

First off, thanks for playing :)

Second, I'd like to know your exact resolution.

Looks like I had the window screen dragged to an uneven 1334x1008 resolution.

Typically I would play 1080p but lately been playing things windowed so I can do stuff on the other part of my screen. Hard to say whether it's a fringe thing to take into consideration or not or over designing. I guess it's in the game? Not sure there's been a pole on the new forum about what resolution people play at.
oof.jpg

On the extreme maybe there are some people are out there still pushing 640x480/800x600 rather than upgrade, I know I'm sitting on the fence about getting a second screen!

I played this map several times. i really liked the creative concept and the ability to make choices in the story. your Adventure map inspired me to make one of my own [see here] your map was so good! i hope you make more maps like this.

I played this map and I loved it! I play in hardcore characters only, so this map was quite a bit of a challenge... But I can honestly say I managed to "break it" by abusing some loopholes in the map.
LOOPHOLE 1:
I cannot craft any mobility item... But all other items are fair game. I can craft pumpkin pies from the ones you get at the farm, crimtane weapons in the anvil, from the Eye of Cthulhu drops, yoyo strings from cobwebs hoping for a good modifier.

LOOPHOLE 2:
The Merchant is one of the first characters you can find. If I manage to get money, I can buy shurikens (super-effective VS worms), fire arrows, torches and potions. If I sell the starting loot, I can buy a Bug net, and gain money from there. I can also buy grenades from the demolitionist, as these do not destroy blocks, so they don't break the rules of the map.

LOOPHOLE 3:
The game does NOT mention what to do with chests that have extra loot. I can easily loot all the extra multiplayer-intended hearts, or extra armor that I can sell.

LOOPHOLE 4:
Nothing about spawn point abused and save-and-quit is mentioned. So I can remove my spawn point to go back to the starting town, and restock there. I can also go back with the cloud balloon to previous places. I managed to find where the announcement boxes are hidden

LOOPHOLE 5:
Enemy farming and the traveling merchant are fair game. I haven't needed to get anything from him but I suppose he could sell a Katana and make the early game a breeze. I farmed a depth meter and

As well as this, there is one slight glitch I would like to mention: Fallen stars can hit the pressure plates of the announcement box. I have had the "Slime quest complete" on a night, before even getting to the facilty, because a fallen star hit it. These stars spawn off-screen.

2905B15F0F2DA3140935AA7503018900564FAFA0

If there is interest in me doing so, I can very well play through the map again and pinpoint every exact thing I do, and how it could be fixed, in my opinion. I really loved this map and it's lore, and I know not every player is skilled... But the difficulty spike in this map is odd. It starts hard and becomes easier and easier as you progress. I died three times (remember, hardcore!) in the mines, and once VS King Slime. But after that, no more deaths.

If you reply to me, I could even record myself playing this map! Maybe that would give you some hindsight?

1- The Old One's army has never been defeated before. So a summoning item that is obtained in the future can NOT be used. I suggest removing this particular item and replacing it for something else.
2- Remove the Merchant. Replace him for the Taverkeeper or someone else. His items will be useless as there is no way to summon the Old One's Army without breaking the maps' rules, and Ale isn't that good of an item unless you decide to go full Melee.
3- Tell the user to trash all of their items on the start. And give them a sluggish copper pickaxe at the start of the mine section, Also remind them that this pickaxe is ONLY to remove sand blocks that Antlions spit, in case these block the way.
4- If you want to make the game easier, consider giving the player calming potions before they venture the mine.
5- You mentioned that the mining area was not an available housing. I suggest putting the crimson a bit later, and painting purity grass outside the keep with red paint. If you do this, you might be able to make the nurse (slime quest woman), clothier (old man), angler (fisher guy) and maybe the pirate/cyborg/witch doctor/goblin tinkerer as the smith.
6- Add a new rule: Forbid the user from removing their spawn point. And if they find a bed, they MUST use this one as spawn points. I think there is a wiring glitch that changes the world's natural spawn point? You could look into that.
7- Add messages explaining how multiplayer chests work. Maybe paint them?
8- Use paint! Paint is under-utilised in this map. You could change the sign colour (Example: "Rules" could be red or they could outright be announcement boxes, "chats" could be green, etc). You could also use announcement boxes instead of signs to read, because these stand out more in the world, and you can change the colour of their text.
9- Please, mention at the start how many topaz and chalices are there! Also, consider changing the chalice for a different item. Because these can be bought from the Travelling Merchant.
10- You could now use gem paths to lock the fishing pond in the caverns. Think about it.
11- Make a giant wall to prevent people from climbing areas you do not want them to climb.

Thanks again for the fun map! I might do a run right now just for funsies, and then call it quits unless you require my help.

Hi! Sorry for the late answer, I haven't been very active lately on here. Glad you liked the map, and thank you for the feedback!

LOOPHOLE 1:
I cannot craft any mobility item... But all other items are fair game. I can craft pumpkin pies from the ones you get at the farm, crimtane weapons in the anvil, from the Eye of Cthulhu drops, yoyo strings from cobwebs hoping for a good modifier.

LOOPHOLE 2:
The Merchant is one of the first characters you can find. If I manage to get money, I can buy shurikens (super-effective VS worms), fire arrows, torches and potions. If I sell the starting loot, I can buy a Bug net, and gain money from there. I can also buy grenades from the demolitionist, as these do not destroy blocks, so they don't break the rules of the map.

Both of these are intentional! I basically wanted to give a little extra stuff to clever people, most people who play through the map probably missed some of this.

LOOPHOLE 3:
The game does NOT mention what to do with chests that have extra loot. I can easily loot all the extra multiplayer-intended hearts, or extra armor that I can sell.

LOOPHOLE 4:
Nothing about spawn point abused and save-and-quit is mentioned. So I can remove my spawn point to go back to the starting town, and restock there. I can also go back with the cloud balloon to previous places. I managed to find where the announcement boxes are hidden
I did realize that that loophole 3 is a problem. At this point there are no real rules set up, and you're basically free to set your own difficulty and cheat if you need to. It is very unclear yes, but I'm not sure if it's worth changing in all honesty.

As for loophole 4, yeah that's a loophole. But honestly, if you're going to such lengths to break the map that you go all the way back to the start, are you really having fun?

LOOPHOLE 5:
Enemy farming and the traveling merchant are fair game. I haven't needed to get anything from him but I suppose he could sell a Katana and make the early game a breeze. I farmed a depth meter and

As well as this, there is one slight glitch I would like to mention: Fallen stars can hit the pressure plates of the announcement box. I have had the "Slime quest complete" on a night, before even getting to the facilty, because a fallen star hit it. These stars spawn off-screen.

Enemy farming is intended to be possible. If you get a rare weapon it's fine, only mobility items can truly can break the map. As for the merchant, I suppose it would be possible to get some OP weapons but in all honesty I don't think it would be too much of an issue. If you get an OP weapon and can breeze through the map, good for you! But it might not be as challenging or fun. It's up to taste.

As for the fallen stars issue, I've never actually thought about that. I'll keep that in mind in my next project.

'
But the difficulty spike in this map is odd. It starts hard and becomes easier and easier as you progress. I died three times (remember, hardcore!) in the mines, and once VS King Slime. But after that, no more deaths.

Yes, this is the thing I dislike the most about this map. Sadly it can't really be fixed because it is based in my terrible decision to have the first challenge be in the underground desert. And yes, the king slime fight is very unbalanced too. I am keeping this is mind in my next project though.
1- The Old One's army has never been defeated before. So a summoning item that is obtained in the future can NOT be used. I suggest removing this particular item and replacing it for something else.
2- Remove the Merchant. Replace him for the Taverkeeper or someone else. His items will be useless as there is no way to summon the Old One's Army without breaking the maps' rules, and Ale isn't that good of an item unless you decide to go full Melee.
3- Tell the user to trash all of their items on the start. And give them a sluggish copper pickaxe at the start of the mine section, Also remind them that this pickaxe is ONLY to remove sand blocks that Antlions spit, in case these block the way.
4- If you want to make the game easier, consider giving the player calming potions before they venture the mine.
5- You mentioned that the mining area was not an available housing. I suggest putting the crimson a bit later, and painting purity grass outside the keep with red paint. If you do this, you might be able to make the nurse (slime quest woman), clothier (old man), angler (fisher guy) and maybe the pirate/cyborg/witch doctor/goblin tinkerer as the smith.
6- Add a new rule: Forbid the user from removing their spawn point. And if they find a bed, they MUST use this one as spawn points. I think there is a wiring glitch that changes the world's natural spawn point? You could look into that.
7- Add messages explaining how multiplayer chests work. Maybe paint them?
8- Use paint! Paint is under-utilised in this map. You could change the sign colour (Example: "Rules" could be red or they could outright be announcement boxes, "chats" could be green, etc). You could also use announcement boxes instead of signs to read, because these stand out more in the world, and you can change the colour of their text.
9- Please, mention at the start how many topaz and chalices are there! Also, consider changing the chalice for a different item. Because these can be bought from the Travelling Merchant.
10- You could now use gem paths to lock the fishing pond in the caverns. Think about it.
11- Make a giant wall to prevent people from climbing areas you do not want them to climb.
Some very sensible pieces of advice!
Especially the calming potions and the topaz and chalices ideas, and the Old ones army thing. Really should have thought about it at the time.

In all honesty though I'm not so sure if I feel like updating this map again. It's almost 2 years old at this point (I think?) and I feel like I'd rather work on my newer projects and ideas. I'm not saying it'll never happen though, maybe I'll get bored or inspired enough to go back and improve it sometime with the 1.3.4 features. Just don't get your hopes up. Again, I will keep your feedback in mind in my future projects!

Regardless, thank you for your feedback, you actually made my day. It's so encouraging to see people play a map even this long after its release.

Back
Top Bottom