When You Create A New Character, What Is Your Appraoch?

When creating a new character, what is your approach?

• Borrow items from main character i.e. Life crystals, armor etc

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Start from scratch. Use only items that new character finds, makes

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters

Chuggs Gaming

Duke Fishron
I'm just curious how other players feel about this.

When I create a new character, I don't know if I should play through with that character, or boost that new character with items that a pre-existing character already owns.

Both options seem reasonable. I've only done the ladder, thus far.

Edit: At first I stated that I'd only done the former. After rereading I realized I mis-posted.

Last edited:
It's my opinion that the point of the game is to explore and improve. So unless you're doing some kind of special play through like... um... the merman/maid play through. (Thats a thing right?) Then giving your characters items kind of defeats the point of the game.

Lol. That makes sense to me. I guess the only thing that crosses my mind is this.

If you set out to specialize in a specific "class" (let's say Melee) then you are bound to find items that don't match your specialization, right?

But what is to stop you from switching specialization on that same character? Nothing, unless you're a diehard. (Everybody does it, adapting to certain situations).

So, what if in your mind you justify creating a new character and equipping them with Magic or Ranged type items you found while playing on your melee character?

There's hardly any difference right?

I'm just playing the devil's advocate.

Lol. That makes sense to me. I guess the only thing that crosses my mind is this.

If you set out to specialize in a specific "class" (let's say Melee) then you are bound to find items that don't match your specialization, right?

But what is to stop you from switching specialization on that same character? Nothing, unless you're a diehard. (Everybody does it, adapting to certain situations).

So, what if in your mind you justify creating a new character and equipping them with Magic or Ranged type items you found while playing on your melee character?

There's hardly any difference right?

I'm just playing the devil's advocate.
I suppose moving items non-compliant with your class playthrough to other characters does make sense. You could also use them to decorate your house. Or, this idea I just thought of that is probably majorly flawed in some way, having multiple characters of different classes for one single player world.

I suppose moving items non-compliant with your class playthrough to other characters does make sense. You could also use them to decorate your house. Or, this idea I just thought of that is probably majorly flawed in some way, having multiple characters of different classes for one single player world.
Currently, I tend to treat all of my characters and Worlds as if they're all shared between them.

I'm not sure if that's considers taboo though and I'm just not playing the game the way everyone else does.

But when I generate a world, it's generated for a purpose.

I have a pre-hardmode world that I consider "home base" where I store all my crap and build my base creatively over time.

Then I have a world with all my experimental traps and machines and coin farms etc

Then I have multiple hard mode maps, one of which is like a second "home base".

Last, I have plenty of open map slots used for generating "goodie grab" worlds and deleting and repeating.

Each of my characters utilizes the worlds the same way. But each character is also "classed" differently. So the gameplay is different.

So, does everyone else play completely different than that? Am I nuts?

That's a totally legit question. Because I'd never heard of the game before I downloaded it and I just naturally kinda fell into this style of approach to the game.

I treat worlds and characters like this: each character has their own world. They can go to other worlds but rarely another characters. I also play mainly on console due to my second hand computer that i think came from an office, so I only have two characters.

How i do these things is a character has a world and there stuff is kept there. I do create goodie worlds but that's cause i'm trying to get an arkhalis. The only character that goes in other worlds is a builder that has blocks from other worlds.

I treat worlds and characters like this: each character has their own world. They can go to other worlds but rarely another characters. I also play mainly on console due to my second hand computer that i think came from an office, so I only have two characters.
See! And that's appealing too. And that's why I ask the questions that I do. Because insight into how other players go at the first game is really eye-opening sometimes.

Now, what do you do when you've exhausted your character's world? As far as being fully explored?
[doublepost=1494090480,1494090402][/doublepost]
How i do these things is a character has a world and there stuff is kept there. I do create goodie worlds but that's cause i'm trying to get an arkhalis. The only character that goes in other worlds is a builder that has blocks from other worlds.
Do you mean that you have a designated builder character? Like in an RPG sense?

See! And that's appealing too. And that's why I ask the questions that I do. Because insight into how other players go at the first game is really eye-opening sometimes.

Now, what do you do when you've exhausted your character's world? As far as being fully explored?
[doublepost=1494090480,1494090402][/doublepost]
Do you mean that you have a designated builder character? Like in an RPG sense?
I haven't reached that point yet as 1.3 isn't on console, so I guess I would make a new character.

Depends on the goal, idea, or purpose of making a new world and/or character.

I don't really do the class builds so most of my worlds I create for specific characters in mind. Personality, if you will. From there I go with the flow.

I do keep a harvesting world or two that any of my characters use. Mainly for the different types of wood found in crimson/corruption.

I have a storage world or two; I really aught to make it to just one and get on it, but for now I have a primary and a secondary.

As to the other worlds I have one for each of my characters. Sometimes I make a new one for an idea. Certain worlds I make for just the fun in seeing the generation or well finding a specific generation that I want; normally corruption worlds.

I am more of a builder so ideas and purpose would be the more likely case in why I make another world, that is aptly named for the idea or purpose.

It is how I go about making worlds. That and I tend to make a new one when a new update comes out; so I have worlds that were made in other updates, mainly seeing if there is something different when generation was added or touched. Beyond that, I tend to bring over only building materials into specific new worlds, as if I wanted to use other equipment I would use that higher tier character to do things; which is something I try to avoid. That is so i do not accidentally initiate an event too early for that world. All about what I want to build more than what I want to do. :dryadsmile:

Depends on the goal, idea, or purpose of making a new world and/or character.

I don't really do the class builds so most of my worlds I create for specific characters in mind. Personality, if you will. From there I go with the flow.

I do keep a harvesting world or two that any of my characters use. Mainly for the different types of wood found in crimson/corruption.

I have a storage world or two; I really aught to make it to just one and get on it, but for now I have a primary and a secondary.

As to the other worlds I have one for each of my characters. Sometimes I make a new one for an idea. Certain worlds I make for just the fun in seeing the generation or well finding a specific generation that I want; normally corruption worlds.

I am more of a builder so ideas and purpose would be the more likely case in why I make another world, that is aptly named for the idea or purpose.

It is how I go about making worlds. That and I tend to make a new one when a new update comes out; so I have worlds that were made in other updates, mainly seeing if there is something different when generation was added or touched. Beyond that, I tend to bring over only building materials into specific new worlds, as if I wanted to use other equipment I would use that higher tier character to do things; which is something I try to avoid. That is so i do not accidentally initiate an event too early for that world. All about what I want to build more than what I want to do. :dryadsmile:
Some of the things you do, I also do similarly. As far as naming worlds in order to identify their purpose, that is one of them.

I also like to build. And I think that is what made me approach the game with the system that I currently employ. I kind of treat all of my characters as though they're working toward the same goals, together.

One of my main goals, is to build up my main world. (This is what I consider my "home base" and it's a pre hard mode world).

Some players might say that I'm being wimpy or softcore but that's far from reality. My home base is a place where I can go and not have to worry about much of anything. I can just chill, gather my thoughts, craft and build (uninterrupted).

I plan to play on expert mode when 1.3 comes to console, so I don't want to be misunderstood.

And I also have a second "home base" that is in fact a hard mode map but my gameplay and goals change quite a bit when I'm in that world.

So I currently do build quite a bit, but I also get a ton of satisfaction from the RPG aspects of the game.

I just don't think I've seen anyone else at all that played the game the same "style" as me. And I'm not sure if it has to do with me not knowing anything about the game beforehand, and just picking it up and kinda "teaching" myself how to play, long before doing much research, or if it's just the way my brain works.

I kind of treat it like a 4X game in many ways

Some of the things you do, I also do similarly. As far as naming worlds in order to identify their purpose, that is one of them.

I also like to build. And I think that is what made me approach the game with the system that I currently employ. I kind of treat all of my characters as though they're working toward the same goals, together.

One of my main goals, is to build up my main world. (This is what I consider my "home base" and it's a pre hard mode world).

Some players might say that I'm being wimpy or softcore but that's far from reality. My home base is a place where I can go and not have to worry about much of anything. I can just chill, gather my thoughts, craft and build (uninterrupted).

I plan to play on expert mode when 1.3 comes to console, so I don't want to be misunderstood.

And I also have a second "home base" that is in fact a hard mode map but my gameplay and goals change quite a bit when I'm in that world.

So I currently do build quite a bit, but I also get a ton of satisfaction from the RPG aspects of the game.

I just don't think I've seen anyone else at all that played the game the same "style" as me. And I'm not sure if it has to do with me not knowing anything about the game beforehand, and just picking it up and kinda "teaching" myself how to play, long before doing much research, or if it's just the way my brain works.

I kind of treat it like a 4X game in many ways
Yeah I even have a home world, but it is one of my original worlds before 1.3. Can't transfer it from console, so I have one one the PC as well. I currently don't have access to my worlds on the 360. Haven't gotten around to getting the game on the new gen yet. So I play on the PC for now.

I have a separate world for expert mode though. One solely for expert, mainly to farm the boss drops of dev costumes...

wimpy no. Just a different playstyle since each person does play differently, even if only slightly. Seems like there are few that only build, but I am sure there are some out there more than we think that enjoy it on a pre-hardmode world. As that is my homeworld; since I have other worlds for hardmode to get resources for building from; at least on my console version. Haven't gotten around to it on the PC version, since well... I am enjoying what I do in pre-hardmode.

All really boils down to what I am in the mood for, in how I go about my worlds; although usually builder oriented, as that is how I look at the game full of creativity with a full pallet of colors & shapes to work with. :dryadhappy:

I have made new characters just to give them full gear and hearts and what not but mainly just so I can have differint characters I can play on one world... (no multiplayer;()

But I tend to forget who took what item and it just gets confusing keeping up with all my stuff so now I just start fresh. I tend to do one all items play threw and then I just do challenges or RPs. I give starter items thought but still keep it playable;)

I never give a new character full hardmode gear if I am making one. That will trigger my endgame blues. But what I do is give them one power item from my vault. Nothing OP but something I found useful. Usually a harpoon gun, a light source, or a tool. In this case I will have no qualms about giving every one of my new characters a cell phone. They are a pain in the :red: to build and I've only built two of them from double fishing quest items. ..I have like 10 sextants.

I never give a new character full hardmode gear if I am making one. That will trigger my endgame blues. But what I do is give them one power item from my vault. Nothing OP but something I found useful. Usually a harpoon gun, a light source, or a tool. In this case I will have no qualms about giving every one of my new characters a cell phone. They are a pain in the :red: to build and I've only built two of them from double fishing quest items. ..I have like 10 sextants.
I know the struggle.
The only sextant I got was accidentally sold away instead of the golden carp I caught...

Yea the more I think about it the more sense this makes, as far as not boosting characters. It will prolong the game and the game is very replayable. Each run is unique.

Now, what do you think about characters sharing any worlds?

Yea the more I think about it the more sense this makes, as far as not boosting characters. It will prolong the game and the game is very replayable. Each run is unique.

Now, what do you think about characters sharing any worlds?

I have hub worlds and item libraries that multiple characters can use, often to store items after their quest is over. But I never found it all that useful to have two characters own the same world.. their needs are going to overlap and you may find it either too easy or too hard to find something when you can just make a new world for them. Sometimes I will bring one character on to "another's" world for something, like there are dyes I want or I want something from another world's chest. But other than that I don't cross worlds too much.

I have hub worlds and item libraries that multiple characters can use, often to store items after their quest is over. But I never found it all that useful to have two characters own the same world.. their needs are going to overlap and you may find it either too easy or too hard to find something when you can just make a new world for them. Sometimes I will bring one character on to "another's" world for something, like there are dyes I want or I want something from another world's chest. But other than that I don't cross worlds too much.
Right. So we kinda have a similar style. Yea, I don't actually play through the same world with different characters.

Like you said, I have a main hub but it doesn't bother me for a character to enter the same world that another character uses.

Back
Top Bottom