Weapons & Equip Yoyo Rehashing

652Graystripe

Plantera
Ever since the release of 1.3, I've heard the general sentiment that yo-yos are unbalanced in one way or the other. More problematically, in my opinion, they lack a solid niche in their role as melee weapons.

This is a rather radical proposal to change the balance of yo-yos in such a way that they are designed for short-duration damage bursts with brief intermissions. That role in combat allows them to be utilized both offensively and defensively, but not as a rapid-fire damage source, as some (Amarok, mostly) seem to be angled currently.

As a secondary goal, I'm going to be adding unique abilities for most of the yo-yos, particularly those that share a tier with others, such as the Chik and Hel-Fire. This has been suggested already, but I felt that adding it on to a full rehash thread in my own personal style was appropriate.

Stats that are unmentioned will remain unchanged.

Wooden_Yoyo.png

Wooden Yoyo
10 damage (up from 9)

Malaise.png

Malaise
14 damage (down from 16)
8-second duration (up from 7)
10% to inflict
Weak.png
Weak (modified for use on enemies) for 4 seconds

Artery.png

Artery
17 damage
9-tile range (down from 12.5)
5-second duration (down from 6)
Grants
Regeneration.png
for 2 seconds on hit

Amazon.png

Amazon
20 damage
7-second duration (down from 8)
50% to inflict
Poisoned.png
Poisoned for 3 seconds on hit

Code_1.png

Code 1
Only obtainable after defeating Skeletron (previously Eye of Cthulhu)
23 damage (up from 21)
Very weak knockback

Valor.png

Valor
25 damage (up from 22)
9-second duration (down from 11)
Pierces 8 defense

Cascade.png

Cascade
24 damage (down from 27)
Gives off damaging sparks on hit

Chik.png

Chik
48 damage (up from 39)
9-second duration (down from 16)
Shoots out crystal shards on hit that do not pierce and deal 1/3 the damage of the yoyo

Hel-Fire.png

Hel-Fire
56 damage (up from 41)
14-block range (down from 17)
4-second duration (down from 12)
Explodes on contact to deal 35 damage

Amarok.png

Amarok
41 damage (down from 43)

Code_2.png

Code 2
47 damage
19-second duration (no longer infinite)

Yelets.png

Yelets
54 damage (down from 60)
9-second duration (down from 14)
25% to inflict
Venom.png
Venom for 2 seconds

Red%27s_Throw.png
Valkyrie_Yoyo.png

Red's Throw/Valkyrie Yoyo
75 damage (up from 70)
20-second duration (no longer infinite)

Kraken.png

Kraken
87 damage (down from 90)
18-block range (down from 21)
17-second duration (no longer infinite)
Creates a vortex around it while spinning that draws in enemies

The_Eye_of_Cthulhu.png

The Eye of Cthulhu
95 damage (down from 115)
20-second duration (no longer infinite)
Shoots out Servants of Cthulhu every 0.5 seconds to latch onto enemies and deal 10 DPS each

Terrarian.png

Terrarian
235 damage (up from 190)
10-second duration (no longer infinite)

What you will notice in these yoyos is a trend towards one or the other end of the spectrum: some are longer-lasting, slower-damage affairs like the Cascade, while some, like the Kraken, are offensive weapons designed to kill a bunch of enemies, retract, and repeat.

Something about me feels uneasy about this suggestion, so it's entirely likely that I'm making some ridiculous mistake or whatever. Please point it out when it becomes obvious.

I don't like that you removed infinite time on terrarian just to justify small buff(the buff is huge, but at point you get it, you've beaten the game, and if you play modded game, you have better options anyway). Just leave Terrarian alone. Infinite fly time along with small pellets is unique to this yo-yo. Other then that, everything seems odd.Added debuffs to things that don't need them, significantly decreased range and\or fly time.
No support.

I don't like that you removed infinite time on terrarian just to justify small buff(the buff is huge, but at point you get it, you've beaten the game, and if you play modded game, you have better options anyway). Just leave Terrarian alone. Infinite fly time along with small pellets is unique to this yo-yo. Other then that, everything seems odd.Added debuffs to things that don't need them, significantly decreased range and\or fly time.
No support.
-Had some difficulty balancing the Terrarian, because, as you said, it's an end-game yoyo. I had to decide if I wanted to keep it and make it demonstrably different from the proposed line of yoyos or give it the rehash.
-In general this whole suggestion goes off the sentiment that yoyos are extremely powerful and to some extent eclipse other melee weapons in many situations. The niche here is intended to be burst damage - a few seconds of rapid-fire hits, rewind, and repeat. I totally understand if that isn't a problem you see, though.

In order to help the thread - is there anything about yoyos that you think could use a change?

Here are my opinions on what should be changed here :

• Artery should do less damage.
  • Amazon should do less damage.
  • Cascade should do the same amount of damage as before.
  • Hellfire should do WAY less damage.
  • The EOC should do a bit more damage.
  • The Terrararian should stay the same.
Otherwise, I like the yoyo special effects.

Here are my opinions on what should be changed here :

• Artery should do less damage.
  • Amazon should do less damage.
  • Cascade should do the same amount of damage as before.
  • Hellfire should do WAY less damage.
  • The EOC should do a bit more damage.
  • The Terrararian should stay the same.
Otherwise, I like the yoyo special effects.
Little unsure of these changes, what's your reasoning? I'm somewhat regretting even including stats, given how hard they are to get in place, but the thread's concept means they're important.

Little unsure of these changes, what's your reasoning? I'm somewhat regretting even including stats, given how hard they are to get in place, but the thread's concept means they're important.
I feel like yoyos are already powerful enough as they stand (except for the amazon, which is available too early on)

I feel like yoyos are already powerful enough as they stand (except for the amazon, which is available too early on)
You may well be right on the damage. My intent was to increase their DPS somewhat, but sacrifice most of their ranged capability. With this a yoyo would deal its damage in bursts before it had to be reeled in, which would happen more often than it does now. I may have to lower the damage a little more to balance them out; they're still pretty powerful.

Yeah, that was what I was hoping for. Do you think they should fill a different role in combat?
I feel like yo-yos already do great job: they are steady way to play melee(even if it doesn't feels like its melee).
I think we need to either nerf them a bit to make them ranged melee weapons with medium damage or we need buff swords damage or add unique things in some way(like adding ability to most of the swords past copper-gold tier) to make sword heavy damage, but dangerous option.

Special effects would ruin the yoyos for me. I like how they dont do some specials like almost every new weapon in game. I hope more normal weapons would be added like melee weapons without projectiles.

Special effects would ruin the yoyos for me. I like how they dont do some specials like almost every new weapon in game. I hope more normal weapons would be added like melee weapons without projectiles.
The game is about getting better loot. Any melee weapon that doesn't have enormous DPS(like fetid thingy), projectile, good range or at the very least, special effect is bad weapon.
Not sure why would you like to have another adamantite broadsword that is waste of resources\time.

The game is about getting better loot. Any melee weapon that doesn't have enormous DPS(like fetid thingy), projectile, good range or at the very least, special effect is bad weapon.
Not sure why would you like to have another adamantite broadsword that is waste of resources\time.
Have you played Avalon mod for Terraria 1.1.2? I want that kind of swords.

Have you played Avalon mod for Terraria 1.1.2? I want that kind of swords.
So you want some swords that are outpeformed by yo-yos and any sword/unique type melee weapon just because they have projectile and can be acquired much easier then any of those you can craft?
Because this is how 1.1.2 Avalon weapons would work those days

So you want some swords that are outpeformed by yo-yos and any sword/unique type melee weapon just because they have projectile and can be acquired much easier then any of those you can craft?
Because this is how 1.1.2 Avalon weapons would work those days
Well of course they would have higher base damage to be considerable alternative.
You dont have to agree tho, i just find it a lot more fun

i like what you did with the three early-hardmode yoyos. i would, however make the chik drop like amarok and hel-fire, and give the three the same damage, along with amarok maybe shooting snowflakes that inflict chilled.
[doublepost=1502285847,1502285816][/doublepost]
i like what you did with the three early-hardmode yoyos. i would, however make the chik drop like amarok and hel-fire, and give the three the same damage, along with amarok maybe shooting snowflakes that inflict chilled.
you can probably tell by my signature that i really like yoyos

Back
Top Bottom