Augmented TCF - A Chrome Extension & FireFox Add-on

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very cool, and handy. Very professional on how you laid the post out, I got stuck into reading and looking through this thread quite well.

Thank you :L

Features
  • General
    • HTTPS to HTTP: Automatically moves you over to http if you're found to be on https.
(POSSIBLY IMPORTANT) We've just made a change to the server that may affect this option in Augmented TCF.

The server will now force forum links to use HTTPS. If you have had this ATCF option turned on, you may want to turn it off now.
This change was made to hopefully fix the intermittent logout problem for everyone, not just ATCF users.

(POSSIBLY IMPORTANT) We've just made a change to the server that may affect this option in Augmented TCF.

The server will now force forum links to use HTTPS. If you have had this ATCF option turned on, you may want to turn it off now.
This change was made to hopefully fix the intermittent logout problem for everyone, not just ATCF users.
As an ATCF user, I can confirm that this will cause problems.
The forums will reload constantly everytime it's fully loaded.

So it's an option to turn it off, but it'll be even better if Everest can manage to remove the function entirely, so nobody will have issues with it anymore.

As an ATCF user, I can confirm that this will cause problems.
The forums will reload constantly everytime it's fully loaded.

So it's an option to turn it off, but it'll be even better if Everest can manage to remove the function entirely, so nobody will have issues with it anymore.
Strangely, it didn't cause problems for me using Firefox. I'm trying to contact Everest now.

Ah, so that's what was going on!

Thanks a lot, King. I'm glad I was still subscribed to this thread after so long to see the notification right away.

For anyone wondering, I should be putting out a fix for this issue (read: removing the option completely) tomorrow. It'll come very quickly for any poor soul who has the option on in Chrome, and will probably take longer for the more-poor souls with the option on who use Firefox (because of approval delays from their add-on "store").

who is this "everest" dude anyway

Yeah, sent out an update to the chrome webstore (should be live within an hour, assuming I didn't screw anything up). I'll get to fixing the same issue on firefox later today, and hope that they'll approve it quickly following.

Many funs doing web extension development, though. Wish I could update this to not be as bad as it currently is.

Hey, as Firefox develops, it will become easier to maintain your add-on.
Since you made this add-on, I thought the following article would be useful to you.
I'm currently on Nightly 56, so we're one build away.

Hey, as Firefox develops, it will become easier to maintain your add-on.
Since you made this add-on, I thought the following article would be useful to you.
I'm currently on Nightly 56, so we're one build away.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm already very aware of those wonderful changes, as I outlined in a post almost one and a half years ago:
My biggest concern about v2 is the lack of current support of WebExtensions for Firefox. The estimated (imagine the italics to add enough emphasis to "estimated" to make it slanted at a 90 degree angle) release is Firefox 48. The Release Calendar says that'll happen way out on August 2nd. So about 6 months.

Since then, the aforementioned version of v2 has been scrapped and (as of last week, in fact) I've started rewriting ATCF 2 using even more modern technology (including WebExtensions, which I was already writing for). Here's an overview of the tech I'm using to build ATCF 2, and it's advancements over v1:
  • TypeScript (<<< currently in love with this :passionate:)
    • Prior to TypeScript, v2 was being written using Babel to get those juicy new ECMAScript features, which TypeScript also includes.
  • webpack
    • v2 features a custom webpack plugin to actually compile a manifest.json file (using data that's implicitly and explicitly defined in the package.json file), which is required for WebExtensions
  • Possibly React
    • I've yet to decide for certain whether I want to go forward with React, but I most likely will.
  • It's open source on GitHub, because I can (and should). [url soon c:]
  • The plugin system is more modular, allowing for easier development.
  • If you've read this far in, then you're the kind of person I'd like to advise: working with XenForo's stuff from an extension standpoint is no fun q-q, don't try it.
  • Settings are going to be cached on the background 'thread', which might (or might not, I'm probably not going to test it) prove to be an optimization.
    • Currently, v1 accesses storage for settings every time you visit a page, which (in my head) seems costy, though I'm sure browsers are optimized to handle it.
  • A different set of augmentations available ;)
And yeah, that's all I can think of right now.

divider.png

The idea of updating ATCF really does sound joyous to me, and I'd love to see it through, but the biggest block in getting me to update is usually motivation. I'm pretty good at self-motivation, but sometimes development gets stale without feedback (my fault, by far :p). I urge anyone who wants a better ATCF to poke at me whenever I stop working, publicly or privately [cough lovely forum staff cough], and that should get the gears turning :confused:. Even a message as small as the one I'm replying to above is enough to motivate me.

Expect some extra info about ATCF 2 (i.e. screenshots, source code, etc.) soon. Maybe. Hopefully. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm already very aware of those wonderful changes, as I outlined in a post almost one and a half years ago:

Since then, the aforementioned version of v2 has been scrapped and (as of last week, in fact) I've started rewriting ATCF 2 using even more modern technology (including WebExtensions, which I was already writing for). Here's an overview of the tech I'm using to build ATCF 2, and it's advancements over v1:
    • Prior to TypeScript, v2 was being written using Babel to get those juicy new ECMAScript features, which TypeScript also includes.
  • webpack
    • v2 features a custom webpack plugin to actually compile a manifest.json file (using data that's implicitly and explicitly defined in the package.json file), which is required for WebExtensions
  • Possibly React
    • I've yet to decide for certain whether I want to go forward with React, but I most likely will.
  • If you've read this far in, then you're the kind of person I'd like to advise: working with XenForo's stuff from an extension standpoint is no fun q-q, don't try it.
  • Settings are going to be cached on the background 'thread', which might (or might not, I'm probably not going to test it) prove to be an optimization.
    • Currently, v1 accesses storage for settings every time you visit a page, which (in my head) seems costy, though I'm sure browsers are optimized to handle it.

divider.png

The idea of updating ATCF really does sound joyous to me, and I'd love to see it through, but the biggest block in getting me to update is usually motivation. I'm pretty good at self-motivation, but sometimes development gets stale without feedback (my fault, by far :p). I urge anyone who wants a better ATCF to poke at me whenever I stop working, publicly or privately [cough lovely forum staff cough], and that should get the gears turning :confused:. Even a message as small as the one I'm replying to above is enough to motivate me.

Expect some extra info about ATCF 2 (i.e. screenshots, source code, etc.) soon. Maybe. Hopefully. :D
That's good to hear. Sorry for not seeing that post. Typescript is AWESOME, I can see why you're in love with it... :)
I hope you realise ATCF is better than you might think, some people may not say it.. but they know it.

• webpack
  • Possibly React

divider.png

Have you considered making the project open-source to allow other members of the community to help add new features?

Have you considered making the project open-source to allow other members of the community to help add new features?
It's open source on GitHub, because I can (and should). [url soon c:]

He appears to be working on that.

Seriously - I've been worried about the upcoming FF changes (Web Extensions) for a while now, primarily if that were to disable this plugin for a while or even permanently. I've used it for so long that it's hard to imagine TCF life without it. Glad to see that you're still working on this, Everest.

He appears to be working on that.

Seriously - I've been worried about the upcoming FF changes (Web Extensions) for a while now, primarily if that were to disable this plugin for a while or even permanently. I've used it for so long that it's hard to imagine TCF life without it. Glad to see that you're still working on this, Everest.
Missed that (or perhaps forgot). Thanks for pointing it out!

Oi m8, did you read the post?

It's open source on GitHub, because I can (and should). [url soon c:]

It's technically already up, but it's very unfinished (hell, I have basically half of the project on my local machine for stuff I'm working on atm). I can guarantee that by release, and likely sooner, I'll be more willing to share the url, but until then I'm more focused on building the base up before I start asking for help with features.

But I'm definitely open to pull requests, both now (just pm me), and in the future (GitHub)

Oi m8, did you read the post?

It's technically already up, but it's very unfinished (hell, I have basically half of the project on my local machine for stuff I'm working on atm). I can guarantee that by release, and likely sooner, I'll be more willing to share the url, but until then I'm more focused on building the base up before I start asking for help with features.

But I'm definitely open to pull requests, both now (just pm me), and in the future (GitHub)
Good to hear this, I'll keep an eye out :)
aka I found it

Just noting, to provide motivation :p

The Release channel for Firefox is up to v.55.0.2, and is listing this add-on (actually, ALL add-ons) as Legacy and disabled by default. It still seems to work when enabled, as far as I can tell, but the clock is ticking, as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom