Map-Adventure The Story of Red Cloud... Revamped! WiP

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Tim Hjersted's work, but I played through his map multiple times and loved it. Upon replaying through Terraria on the 1.3.4 update, I was reminded of the map and mod that I was borderline obsessed with years ago, and redownloaded the map and mod. I just could not get into it. Terraria had changed too much for me to enjoy the outdated version. So I figured, why not update it myself?

And so I present to you: The Story of Red Cloud, Revamped.

So my main goal was originally to just make the map not crash on 1.3.4 and make the mod, but after looking at the map, I changed my mind. So my goals with this project are now as follows:
  • Give the map a "paint job". Update areas that no longer carry the original intended appearance, and to use paint, new blocks, new sprites, and actuators (!) to make it look better. Polish polish polish!
  • Update the loot. There are a TON of new items in Terraria, and I intend to vary up the loot of the map, as it is honestly quite redundant.
  • Remake the mod. The mod was a major factor in how awesome the Story of Red Cloud was.
  • Rebalance the mod. There were a lot weapons and armor using dark souls that you could get that became obsolete very quickly. I intend to try and make each upgrade path you can get powerful in a unique way.
The more time I spend with this project, the more ambitious these goals seem. I've currently updated the map to the Fire Temple, or for those of you unfamiliar, the area before the Wall of Flesh fight. It's a ton of work, and I haven't even started on the modding aspect, which I will be totally new to. So, the object of this post is hopefully to find a couple people who are willing to help me either figure out how modding works or to playtest the map. Please don't hesitate to post here or PM me if you are interested in either.

Also, here's the latest version of the map. Click me! Again, all credit to Tim Hjersted for his incredible work.

Quick note if you decide to play the map: The Hermes Boots are supposed to drop from the EoC. The mod has not been developed yet so you can find them in the mountain just west of the town. Look for a water puzzle.

Another quick update as of 2/16/17: This project is currently on the back burner. School has begun and I need to keep up in all of my accounting courses. I'll probably get another update once Spring break rolls around.

Last edited:
Would you like some help? I once tried to play the original map. Always good to see something come back after a while :)

I am not familiar with modding, but I am interested. I would also like to help with testing and possibly mapmaking or loot improvement. Also, I think it would be wise to make the mod for tmodloader.

I am not familiar with modding, but I am interested. I would also like to help with testing and possibly mapmaking or loot improvement. Also, I think it would be wise to make the mod for tmodloader.
Yeah I don't plan on doing anything revolutionary as far as modding goes. I'll definitely make it for the mod loader. If you would like to test go ahead and download and play a little bit. I'd love any and all feedback.

I would want to try the teaser of modded map, but I can't because there is not the archived file on the site.
Could you upload to another file sharing site?

Just discovered this thread, now I am really hyped for this.
I wish I could help whenever it's possible but I cannot build or mod.
Hope that you can work on this whenever possible! Take your time because school can be tough.

The Story of Red Cloud (with the Dark Souls Mod) was one of the best Terraria experiences I've ever had. How is this project going so far? I tried to download the current version, but it's unavailable.

I have played through the original map at least 7 times with different characters and builds. If you need any help play testing the map I have nothing but time for it. Tried the dropbox link but it was not found.

May I join your team? I can mod and sprite, but I do have other projects going on as well, so I might not be able to contribute on a daily basis.

May I join your team? I can mod and sprite, but I do have other projects going on as well, so I might not be able to contribute on a daily basis.
Yeah! Here's a link to the discord we are using right now. https://discord.gg/ctxuur Feel free to drop by and say hello!
[doublepost=1496981346,1496980977][/doublepost]
The Story of Red Cloud (with the Dark Souls Mod) was one of the best Terraria experiences I've ever had. How is this project going so far? I tried to download the current version, but it's unavailable.
Sorry for the delayed response. Join the discord I've set up! https://discord.gg/ctxuur
[doublepost=1496981397][/doublepost]
I have played through the original map at least 7 times with different characters and builds. If you need any help play testing the map I have nothing but time for it. Tried the dropbox link but it was not found.
Sorry for delayed response man. Join the discord. I'll post a fresh download link soon. https://discord.gg/ctxuur

Hey there! I remember playing through this a number of times and I love that you're revamping it! Just out of curiosity and just that I'd love to play it again, how's the progress looking so far?

Glad to see that this map is in the process of getting remade! No doubt the best map and modpack I've played for Terraria 1.1! You've got my support :D

Back
Top Bottom