PC Are Teal (projectile) pressure plates triggered by falling stars (after they are hoiked)?

SlippyCheeze

Terrarian
I'm curious to know if dropping a shooting star on a teal pressure plate triggers them, as would happen if you hoiked them across a skybridge and then let them fall down toward, say, your base. I can't seem to get it to happen, but it's possible that I'm doing something wrong...

If not, is there any known way to get them, or the presence of an item on top of a block, to trigger a mechanism?

No, it will not. A Fallen Star in your inventory is no longer a projectile, unless it is used as ammo for the Star Cannon, and in that case you would be firing the star at the pad, not dropping it.

Once a Falling Star hits a block (the ground, a skybridge), it ceases to be a projectile and becomes a dropped item.

I don't believe that any dropped items will activate any mechanisms. A Boulder will, though.

we should actually have pressure plates for items, but I doubt that will be a reality since the function is so specific.

we should actually have pressure plates for items, but I doubt that will be a reality since the function is so specific.

Yeah. Maybe someone will write a mod with an "enemy" sensor, and an "item" sensor, and so forth. Oh, well, at least I can confirm that it's not just me. I figured it wasn't designed behaviour, but eh.

Theres probably something measurable that could detect items but I don't know what it is and it probably would be impractical ;(

The only thing I could think of to test this is to place a skybridge of platforms with teal plates across it. I don't recall how Falling Stars treat platforms (fall through or impact and become item?). If Falling Stars truly act like a typical projectile, they should fall through platforms like any other projectile and trigger the teal plates. That's about the only way and time I can imagine them doing so naturally as Falling Stars. Otherwise, yeah: you need to shoot them from a Star Cannon.

Hmm... Wonder if anyone looked into Sandgun projectiles, since they turn to sand blocks on impact...

well i agree it with what the others said from what i know a spawned falling star that falls to the ground it may count as a projectile but im not 100% sure, but really if you want falling stars to go to your base use conveyor belts and skip the hoiking process or set up a day & night system that is connected to a 1sec timer to move the stars to the place you want them that turns off during the day and on at night. that's my idea anyways

All the footage I took was terrible, so I'm just gonna tell you how each thing worked.

A falling star activates the teal pads before it has hit the ground and can't do anything to them after that.

The projectile from dirt rod places the dirt block on top of (or next to) the pad, not activating it. Not releasing the projectile when hovering over the pad activates it.

Ice rod places the block on where the player has clicked on screen. Because of that when trying to summon a block on the pad activates it and after the projectile has hit the surface on where the pad is placed, an ice block is not placed.

The sandgun projectile activates the pressure pad and places a block on impact with a solid block, as long as it is not obscured by the pad.
[doublepost=1500028577,1500027658][/doublepost]the sand block will get placed and activate the pad if fired at a specific angle
aOMD49p.gif

Extra thing: the ice projectile does not have gravity and will fly off in a straight line if aimed at the pads.
9IflvSy.gif

[doublepost=1500031280][/doublepost]Back to original question: @ZeroGravitas made an easy hoik farm for fallen stars in this thread,or this YouTube video.

could you elaborate what you want to do with them?

Sure: at the moment my skybridge captures stars, and brings them to an appropriate location for collection. This happens at night, so of course, plenty of monsters floating around outside. To simplify things, I have a one tile thick roof that the stars land on, through which I can grab them without having to deal with fighting stuff.

My ponderings were around how to automate the process of getting the stars into the base without also opening things up for monsters. I can use a vertical hoik to move them down, after they get to the center, but that requires a solid wall cutting the map in half, and it's not ... elegant. If they had triggered pressure plates, I could have used that to quickly open and then close an airlock style entrance to allow them in with minimal chance of monsters eating my NPCs.

If I had the appropriate detectors, of course, it would simply actuate when <star> and <not monster>, removing even the chance of them slipping in.

None of it is really necessary. What I have works, but like building a fancy kitchen to stick an NPC in, it's all about enjoying the challenge of designing and building clever solutions to things, not just the end result. (I got my couple of moonlord kills, so while I am gradually working through bosses in this new world, I'm doing it slowly and spending way more time on building things.)

I hope that explains well enough why I was asking about all this. I'll probably, for now, end up building the vertical hoik, rather than trying to figure out the code behind the player detector and how to add new instances of those in a mod. Not quite /that/ enthusiastic about the idea yet. :)

that is doable. I got everything except for longest time necessary for the star to travel from point of impact to the dropoff zone.

Can't you use alternating activation UP hoik blocks? Or something along those lines? There'll be lag on getting them into the base, but you can. Two rows of block with alternating activation with at least the top row hoiking up should (in theory) prevent anything from entering. You might need a 1-block gap between the rows to let the stars fall down properly.

(NOTE: I'm saying all this from memory. I haven't touched Terraria in months nor do I work with hoiks much, though I do understand the concept and mechanic.)

Sure: at the moment my skybridge captures stars, and brings them to an appropriate location for collection. This happens at night, so of course, plenty of monsters floating around outside. To simplify things, I have a one tile thick roof that the stars land on, through which I can grab them without having to deal with fighting stuff.

My ponderings were around how to automate the process of getting the stars into the base without also opening things up for monsters. I can use a vertical hoik to move them down, after they get to the center, but that requires a solid wall cutting the map in half, and it's not ... elegant. If they had triggered pressure plates, I could have used that to quickly open and then close an airlock style entrance to allow them in with minimal chance of monsters eating my NPCs.

If I had the appropriate detectors, of course, it would simply actuate when <star> and <not monster>, removing even the chance of them slipping in.

None of it is really necessary. What I have works, but like building a fancy kitchen to stick an NPC in, it's all about enjoying the challenge of designing and building clever solutions to things, not just the end result. (I got my couple of moonlord kills, so while I am gradually working through bosses in this new world, I'm doing it slowly and spending way more time on building things.)

I hope that explains well enough why I was asking about all this. I'll probably, for now, end up building the vertical hoik, rather than trying to figure out the code behind the player detector and how to add new instances of those in a mod. Not quite /that/ enthusiastic about the idea yet. :)

I have the same setup on my base but it covers the entire map and it drops them onto a room connected to my house, but another idea is that you can have them fall onto another horizontal hoik and then you can have a switch to actuate then deactuate the horizontal hoik.

Back
Top Bottom