Sprites Metal Slimes and the Issue of Renewability

652Graystripe

Plantera
1.2.4 was a landmark update in that it, for the first time, made ores and bars renewable through fishing. A small step, yeah, but also a great leap forward in terms of Terraria's unique world-and-character methods.

Unfortunately it's still a pain to get ores, especially the rarer Hardmode ones. This suggestion is intended to make ore-gathering less of a crapshoot.

Oh, and a foreword: these slimes aren't your average slimes. I felt like giving them a few stylistic tweaks just to make them slightly more interesting than your garden-variety gel blobs. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it... didn't.

Pre-Hard Mode
First things first: Early-mode armors are functionally useless because of the terrible grind required to get them. Right now the helmet, chestplate and greaves cost 20/30/25 respectively; I propose that it's changed to 6/18/12. A full set of copper/tin/iron/lead armor costs 108 ore under this change; full silver/tungsten/gold/platinum costs 144. Not easy, but definitely less agonizing, and almost worth it.

All of these slimes, by the way, get more common as you go down. I've only listed the rarity for their highest spawning ground; e.g. the underground for most of them, though for some it's only in the caverns.

Copper_Slime.png looks like a nugget of copper, not sure how it bounces
Copper Slime
-45 HP/12 damage/5 defense
-Uncommon spawn underground in copper worlds
-Drops 3-4 Copper Ore

Tin_Slime.pngit's got a nice little topknot
Tin Slime
-50 HP/13 damage/5 defense
-Uncommon spawn underground in tin worlds
-Drops 3-4 Tin Ore

Iron_Slime.png really wondering about the physics here
Iron Slime
-55 HP/14 damage/7 defense
-Uncommon spawn underground in iron worlds
-Drops 4-6 Iron Ore

Lead_Slime.png
Lead Slime it's just trying to get into a higher weight class
-60 HP/15 damage/7 defense
-Uncommon spawn underground in lead worlds
-Drops 4-6 Lead Ore
-Takes very little knockback

Silver_Slime.gif om nom nom
Silver Slime
-70 HP/17 damage/9 defense
-Rare spawn underground in silver worlds
-Drops 7-9 Silver Ore
-Attacks with a move that can only be described as "hugging"

Tungsten_Slime.png went through so many iterations before this one
Tungsten Slime
-75 HP/18 damage/9 defense
-Rare spawn underground in tungsten worlds
-Drops 7-9 Tungsten Ore

Gold_Slime.png it's like panning for gold, only you might be digested eternally
Gold Slime
-100 HP/20 damage/11 defense
-Uncommon spawn in the caverns of gold worlds
-Drops 8-10 Gold Ore

Platinum_Slime.png does not require a platinum terraria subscription to view
Platinum Slime
-100 HP/20 damage/11 defense
-Uncommon spawn in the caverns of platinum worlds
-Drops 8-10 Platinum Ore

Hard Mode
One thing that bothers me a lot is that players are punished harshly for breaking altars. If it weren't so important, I myself wouldn't do it at all. Changing that to something less punishing now.

Altars after 75% of the world's supply have been smashed (thanks @Sigma90 ) have a 66% chance to spawn one tile of crimson/corruption or hallow in a random stone block underground.
Also, wraiths no longer spawn from destroyed altars; instead, two or three of the appropriate slime are created.
(+) More obvious
(-) Less ominous

Finally - if a contaminant is spawned, a red (Crimson), purple (Corruption) or light blue (Hallow) sparkle will appear above the altar in question and then disappear in the general direction of the intended tile. Particle effects will also be released depending on the ore generated, but they won't go anywhere.

Cobalt_Slime.png tweaked cobalt's texture so it didn't look like a jewel
Cobalt Slime
-300 HP/50 damage/30 defense
-Uncommon spawn underground in worlds with the cobalt flag
-Drops 10-12 Cobalt Ore

Palladium_Slime.png you've got something on your face
Palladium Slime
-350 HP/55 damage/30 defense
-Uncommon spawn underground in worlds with the palladium flag
-Drops 10-12 Palladium Ore

Mythril_Slime.png absolutely lovecraftian
Mythril Slime
-500 HP/60 damage/35 defense
-Rare spawn underground in worlds with the mythril flag
-Drops 10-12 Mythril Ore
-Flails its tentacles if you get too close

my spriting ability makes orichalcum a pain to sprite
-500 HP/60 damage/35 defense
-Very deadly
-Rare spawn underground in worlds with the orichalcum flag
-Drops 10-12 Orichalcum Ore

Adamantite_Slime.png adamantite is sprited like it's a crystal, which bothers me
Adamantite Slime
-800 HP/75 damage/40 defense
-Uncommon spawn in the caverns of worlds with the adamantite flag
-Drops 10-12 Adamantite Ore
-Move slowly, but deals lots of damage on contact; immune to knockback

whoever sprited titanium is a genius
Titanium Slime
-900 HP/75 damage/40 defense
-Uncommon spawn in the caverns of worlds with the titanium flag
-Drops 10-12 Titanium Ore

And because I couldn't let this whole thing pass without a DragonQuest reference...
Metal_Slime_Mask.png
Metal Slime Mask
-Dropped by all metal slimes

And after a great suggestion by @Lihz4hrd I decided to add another summoner weapon, plus a minor tweak to make the Slime Staff what it deserves to be.

Slime_Staff.png

Slime Staff
-Now dropped by King Slime as one of his drops
-Also used to craft...

Adamantite_Slime_Staff.png
Adamantite/Titanium Slime Staff
-Crafted with
Slime_Staff.png
, 15
Adamantite_Bar.png
/
Titanium_Bar.png
@ Hardmode anvil
-Summons an adamantite/titanium slime that shoots spikes to attack
-Stats are roughly on par with the Spider Staff

Last edited:
Yay, more Slime banners! ^^

I like the notes you've added to each slime. It makes the thread rather entertaining to read. If you wanted to vary slime behaviour a bit, it looks like the Mythril Slime could climb on walls likes spiders and the Adamantite Slime could shoot spikes. Just a thought - I'd be happy with more squishy blobs that only bounce around.

One thing that bothers me a lot is that players are punished harshly for breaking altars. If it weren't so important, I myself wouldn't do it at all. Changing that to something less punishing now.
Altars after the twelfth have a 66% chance to spawn one tile of crimson/corruption or hallow in a random stone block underground.
Also, wraiths no longer spawn from destroyed altars; instead, two or three of the appropriate slime are created.
Yeah, a lot of players really dislike things that alter their world outside of their control. Me included. Maybe the chances could be Fibonacci numbers instead: first altar has a 1% chance of corrupting a block, second 1%, third 2%, then 3%, 5%, 8%, 13%, 21%, ... to an upper maximum of 66% or 75% or 90% or whatever people think is acceptable. Also have to consider the diminishing returns of each subsequent smashed altar, plus the world size (small worlds might not have 12 altars).
Wraiths aren't threatening because they are slow and affected by knockback. Metal slimes sound like a nicer idea and fit in with the "Your world has been blessed with [ore]" message.

Now we need Coin Slimes and we're set.

And just so I don't get warned; yes I support.

Last edited:
Yeah, a lot of players really dislike things that alter their world outside of their control. Me included. Maybe the chances could be Fibonacci numbers instead: first altar has a 1% chance of corrupting a block, second 1%, third 2%, then 3%, 5%, 8%, 13%, 21%, ... to an upper maximum of 66% or 75% or 90% or whatever people think is acceptable. Also have to consider the diminishing returns of each subsequent smashed altar, plus the world size (small worlds might not have 12 altars).
Wraiths aren't threatening because they are slow and affected by knockback. Metal slimes sound like a nicer idea and fit in with the "Your world has been blessed with [ore]" message.
Might be possible to scale it with world size, I guess. You're right, it's more of a thing for medium or large worlds. Another suggestion, though: if some biome is spawned, what say a particle effect appears as the evil flies off to do its thing? Might also be applicable for ores, but they're not that hard to find.

Now we need Coin Slimes and we're set.

And just so I don't get warned; yes I support.
Frankly DragonQuest has us covered.
Bunch_of_slimes_5649.jpg

Another suggestion, though: if some biome is spawned, what say a particle effect appears as the evil flies off to do its thing?
Ooh, I really like this! When you smash the altar, you get a shower of sparkles that match the colour of the ore. E.g. cobalt gives you a shower of blue sparkles. And if it releases a contaminant, you get a single larger red, purple or white sparkle for Crimson, Corruption or Hallow respectively. Whether or not the sparkles could be programmed to fly off in the direction they spawn the ore/evil is another matter. Regardless, it's still a functional and pretty visual effect.

Ooh, I really like this! When you smash the altar, you get a shower of sparkles that match the colour of the ore. E.g. cobalt gives you a shower of blue sparkles. And if it releases a contaminant, you get a single larger red, purple or white sparkle for Crimson, Corruption or Hallow respectively. Whether or not the sparkles could be programmed to fly off in the direction they spawn the ore/evil is another matter. Regardless, it's still a functional and pretty visual effect.
Added - thanks!

Back
Top Bottom