One Terraria: An Introduction & Future Impacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really enjoyed exclusive content, I always have been about "Everyone is treated equally" by either:
  • Giving the exclusive content (eventually) of Mobile/Consoles to PC.
  • Removing it indefinitely from all.
I would have loved to see Thanksgiving Season on PC, even Valentines related. Though Ocram was just a pre-unpolished version of Moon Lord for Consoles, so I think that move is more than acceptable.

So, it looks like the latest word on release for this update is still end of Q3. If that's the case, shouldn't this be coming in the next 2 weeks or so? Or are there different quarter definitions that I'm unaware of?

This has likely been answered or documented elsewhere but do we know if the 1.3 console update will include 2 player split screen functionality?

I might have missed it, but does anyone have a handy guide for adjusting to the new world (once it rolls out)?

For example, I'm currently running around in dragon armor. With the patch I will essentially be naked, so what do I put in my inventory now in preparation? Is there anything in particular to farm so that I'll be ready to face the new bosses, events, and crafting options? Anything to stop doing because it will be so much easier in 1.3 (like farming skulls in the dungeon for a nazar)?

Super excited to see the changes, by the way! :)

Thanks in advance.

It's not about "being lazy", it is about returning the game for all players to the vision that its creator intended - and being able to streamline updates (that means making console and mobile faster, not "slowing down PC" as some have speculated) and open up other potential possibilities as a result. Ocram doesn't fit on a variety of levels from art to design to AI to placement in progression. A "tweak" won't fix all of that - you would basically need to start from scratch. Couple that with the obsolescence of so much of this in a post-1.3 world, and there you go.
You don't need to start from scratch and a tweak is literally all it needs. He would fit perfectly on the same tier as Duke Fishron: an optional boss you can fight to get good, but not necessary, items to prepare for the moon lord. There is nothing "obsolete" about him and It wouldn't be difficult to change the summoning requirements and armor recipes

The art not fitting is just your personal opinion and the armor sets are staying as vanity so that point is invalid anyway

Tweaking Ocram and bringing him and his loot to PC would be a part of the "One Terraria" experience. Cutting him seems counterproductive to that ideal
[doublepost=1505408169,1505407962][/doublepost]
For example, I'm currently running around in dragon armor. With the patch I will essentially be naked, so what do I put in my inventory now in preparation?
Beetle armor (attack speed variant) is the replacement you want. You'll just be trading critical and movement speed for significantly higher base damage

This has likely been answered or documented elsewhere but do we know if the 1.3 console update will include 2 player split screen functionality?

This was touched on in the opening post:

The Pipeworks team is focused on the last few things before they can submit - squashing the final list of bugs and working on Split Screen Multiplayer performance optimization.

So, it looks like the latest word on release for this update is still end of Q3. If that's the case, shouldn't this be coming in the next 2 weeks or so? Or are there different quarter definitions that I'm unaware of?
They said they would get it submitted for certification by q3 which takes a few weeks which effectively pushes the update into q4

You don't need to start from scratch and a tweak is literally all it needs. He would fit perfectly on the same tier as Duke Fishron: an optional boss you can fight to get good, but not necessary, items to prepare for the moon lord. There is nothing "obsolete" about him and It wouldn't be difficult to change the summoning requirements and armor recipes

The art not fitting is just your personal opinion and the armor sets are staying as vanity so that point is invalid anyway

Tweaking Ocram and bringing him and his loot to PC would be a part of the "One Terraria" experience. Cutting him seems counterproductive to that ideal
[doublepost=1505408169,1505407962][/doublepost]
Beetle armor (attack speed variant) is the replacement you want. You'll just be trading critical and movement speed for significantly higher base damage
not to mention, its not necessarily the console that needs to change to match the PC entirely. I think the PC could benefit from some of the changes the console has made.

It's not about "being lazy", it is about returning the game for all players to the vision that its creator intended - and being able to streamline updates (that means making console and mobile faster, not "slowing down PC" as some have speculated) and open up other potential possibilities as a result. Ocram doesn't fit on a variety of levels from art to design to AI to placement in progression. A "tweak" won't fix all of that - you would basically need to start from scratch. Couple that with the obsolescence of so much of this in a post-1.3 world, and there you go.

I suppose I agree. In T:OW I believe I heard we will have NPC/Boss/Biome/Enemy Backstories, and you can already see some of it in the main game. Eye of Cthulhu, Brain of Cthulhu, Moon Lord possibly being "Cthulhu" especially with the "True Eyes of Cthulhu" and how the Mechanical Bosses look just like previous bosses, how the WOF is summoned by the Guide with a Voodoo doll... Etc... But Ocram... A giant floating head that flies up and down, summoned by a "Suspicious Looking Skull" where the sprite looks nothing like him? (which could have changed in 1.3) he makes little sense, but then again, I didn't question giant disembodied Skulls, (3 of them.) Eyes, or a Brain, or a giant Bee, or a "World Eating" Worm, or a Pig/Dragon/Fish, A monstrous living plant that wants to kill me, a strange talking mushroom, or why Santa was actually a tank all along, or come-to-life Carved Pumpkins, I wasn't gonna start questioning this strange, but cool boss.

Last edited:

Except that my opinion is also shared by the creators of the game - on all fronts. He would need FAR more than "tweaks" to hit our standards and vision. I'm sorry we disagree there, but I am just being honest with you. :)

I suppose I agree. In T:OW I believe I heard we will have NPC/Boss/Biome/Enemy Backstories, and you can already see some of it in the main game. Eye of Cthulhu, Brain of Cthulhu, Moon Lord possibly being "Cthulhu" especially with the "True Eyes of Cthulhu" and how the Mechanical Bosses look just like previous bosses, how the WOF is summoned by the Guide with a Voodoo doll... Etc... But Ocram... A giant floating head that flies up and down, summoned by a "Suspicious Looking Skull" where the sprite looks nothing like him? (which could have changed in 1.3) he makes little sense, but then again, I didn't question giant disembodied Eyes, Skulls, or Brains, or a giant Bee, or "World Eating" Worms, or Pig/Dragon/Fish, or a strange talking mushroom, or why Santa was actually a tank all along, or come-to-life Carved Pumpkins, I wasn't gonna start questioning this strange, but cool boss.
Excellent point!

Except that my opinion is also shared by the creators of the game - on all fronts. He would need FAR more than "tweaks" to hit our standards and vision. I'm sorry we disagree there, but I am just being honest with you. :)
Without laying down any accusations, is there anything stopping those many changes required to get him up to standard beyond a lack of willingness to put in the work? Do you feel the payout isn't worthwhile?

Ocram doesn't drop anything but armor you already should have unless you just bought terraria a week ago.

They're phenomenal armors now but they're about to be outclassed in 1.3 so it's not like we're going to use them much longer either way.

And we get to keep them as vanities, on top of keeping the trophy and mask. I'm the last person to defend Re-Logic or pipeworks but axing ocram when 1.3 hits is a pretty east thing to accept.

I just want my bubbles. Whatever you gotta do to get me my bubbles sooner I don't care. Just get my bubbles already!

Without laying down any accusations, is there anything stopping those many changes required to get him up to standard beyond a lack of willingness to put in the work? Do you feel the payout isn't worthwhile?

Because the scope of those changes would essentially mean a full tear-down and rebuild of an entirely new boss. If such a thing were to occur, we would take a good amount of time to get it right... and, again, when looking at progression, it isn't even certain there is a desire to even have a boss there. The logic of Ocram and when and why it was added is obsolete.

*If* we did such a thing, it likely would scrap any notions of Ocram and would begin anew. Adding bosses is no small thing on any level or front of development. The forefront of that is design: just "toss more stuff in the game" is not how we do things and is a poor path that leads to just random bloat.

The tone of "lack of willingness to put in the work" is a bit much, and I will leave it at that - "no accusations" aside. -_-

Very doubtful, but we shall see I suppose. We may have to agree to disagree on the sprite (speaking just for me personally). I have always (even before my Re-Logic days when I was just a PC & Console player at the time) found it to just be a pretty obvious "disembodied maskless predator head" - which is very meh (IMHO at least). ;)
Rip dragon armor is:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom