One Terraria: An Introduction & Future Impacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am actually really upset about this. Ocram was a good boss and the pets could easy be added to every other version. What you could have done by my opinion is add 1.3 content and called it good. And it wouldn't have taken as long to develop. I understand you didn't think some things were as good as people thought they were and they didn't really have a purpose, but some people really cared about that content. Im pretty sure some people want unique versions, and there goes the exclusive content. Just saying that's my opinion.

I just realized something.

Can we please (pretty, pretty?) keep the "Suspicious Looking Apple" Worm Pet, and Holy Hand Grenade? (mobile exclusives) I was so thrilled to see them, I knew EXACTLY what those were and loved them instantly, I grew up playing the WORMS games :3

you guys have to admit though. these exclusives staying on old gen gives players a reason to keep their old gen copies of Terraria. The exclusive experience. I had an idea about Ocram sharing similar AI to the Martian UFO in the MArtian evet. fast and devastating. A redesign could be done but it would take time to re-roll the boss's stats so to speak and he'd need a brand new look. However honestly I'd rather see him become a mount that fires lasers down on mobs or use cursed flames downwards toward the enemies. Item description would be "You have tamed the space terror...for now"

What you could have done by my opinion is add 1.3 content and called it good. And it wouldn't have taken as long to develop.
Pipeworks is building the game completely over from scratch to port 1.3 to current consoles. Keeping the exclusives would mean taking the work to add the exclusive content back into the PC code. Many of the console exclusives were actually taking up spots needed by items being added in 1.3. It would have actually added to the work to put them in without causing more bugs.

as sad as I am to see Ocram go I can still fight him on my PS Vita, 3DS(if he's in that version), and PS3.

I just realized something.

Can we please (pretty, pretty?) keep the "Suspicious Looking Apple" Worm Pet, and Holy Hand Grenade? (mobile exclusives) I was so thrilled to see them, I knew EXACTLY what those were and loved them instantly, I grew up playing the WORMS games :3

This is an especially uncertain area, because as Cenx's post indicates, this is a Mobile exclusive (we have NOT done a Mobile exclusive review at this time!!!), and these are the intellectual property of, I believe, Team17. So decisions regarding the IP of other companies may have additional contractual limitations or requirements that will HAVE to be reviewed by the legal experts; unfortunately, "please" doesn't factor into it if there are legal barriers, and there is no way to have a certain answer about that until that has been assessed, and we are focusing on Console for now. :)

Because the scope of those changes would essentially mean a full tear-down and rebuild of an entirely new boss. If such a thing were to occur, we would take a good amount of time to get it right... and, again, when looking at progression, it isn't even certain there is a desire to even have a boss there. The logic of Ocram and when and why it was added is obsolete.

*If* we did such a thing, it likely would scrap any notions of Ocram and would begin anew. Adding bosses is no small thing on any level or front of development. The forefront of that is design: just "toss more stuff in the game" is not how we do things and is a poor path that leads to just random bloat.

The tone of "lack of willingness to put in the work" is a bit much, and I will leave it at that - "no accusations" aside. -_-
I completely understand those philosophies and constantly defend them on these forums and near-everything else game related.

I think you are misunderstanding my intent. I was simply implying that perhaps you felt the task overburdened the staff without returning much to the game in the end, and that it wasn't something anyone really would enjoy working on in the first place. I never said there was anything wrong with that.

I had heard about console content being removed in 1.3 from somewhere else, but I didn't understand the scope of it. When I read about removing content, my guess was maybe some pets or console-exclusive enemy recolors, but even Ocram and stuff? I feel like this is literally hurting everyone. Removing console-exclusive content doesn't make the game better in any way. Removing content in general isn't always a bad thing, mainly in cases where either the game's over saturated with content or the content in question is very low in quality, but neither of those things are a concern in this case. On top of that, lessening the gap between updates for different platforms would mean either getting out console/mobile updates faster (which it appears they're already working full force at) or delaying PC updates so console can catch up. The fact that these versions were different but all still interesting was always really cool to me, but it seems that's being lost.

From my understanding, PC updates will be slowed even further and the special stuff that makes console interesting even for PC players will be gone. Some people have said that console/mobile will speed up to meet PC, but it really isn't that simple unless console is being overhauled so much that it won't take much more than a copy/paste to port things over. It's not like there's a magical switch that can be flipped to make those versions update at the same rate PC does.

Now, I think the reason behind removing Ocram- being that it was meant to be an end-game boss, but has since been overshadowed in that regard- is perfectly fine. What I don't agree with is the course of action taken. Ocram could still exist as a side-boss at a different point in the game with relatively minor changes. Phase 1 could use a rework, since it's basically Eye of Cthulhu 2.0, but other than that it's mostly fine.

I guess the thing that's bothering me most is that new content is so scare nowadays (which is fine, quality over quantity after all), but rather than focusing on finding something new and interesting, fixing the numerous balance issues with this game, or even polishing the little things to make it a cleaner experience overall, they're just removing what's already there.

So, how long after the console 1.3 release will mobile be released? Or will it released with console?

I guess the thing that's bothering me most is that new content is so scare nowadays (which is fine, quality over quantity after all), but rather than focusing on finding something new and interesting, fixing the numerous balance issues with this game, or even polishing the little things to make it a cleaner experience overall, they're just removing what's already there.
The only major issue in my eyes is fishing.

So, how long after the console 1.3 release will mobile be released? Or will it released with console?
As Loki, Leinfors, and other staff have hinted to, Mobile releases after Console. Mobile has it's own issues that will take time to study and correct.

Once they have finished studying it's issues, code, and other misc. things I wouldn't know about, they will give their rough idea of how long it will take to correct them.

From my understanding, PC updates will be slowed even further and the special stuff that makes console interesting even for PC players will be gone.

I just want to point out as immediately as possible that this is not the case. We have not said this, nor do we intend this, nor are our posts intended to suggest this.

The goal is to minimize the differences between the versions so that the rate at which Console/Mobile can catch up with PC is "sped up". The goal is NOT to "hold up PC while Console/Mobile catches up". I cannot emphasize this anymore clearly; emphatically "NO" this is not the case. :)

The biggest barrier to updates prior to the Pipeworks revamp was the fact that Terraria (PC) and Terraria (Console) were entirely different creatures; it was like Console Terraria was wearing the skin of PC Terraria, but underneath, everything was different. The end result was that translating PC updates into Console updates was a very difficult obstacle, which added substantial delays to every update.

Yes, the Pipeworks revamp has been a long one; that's because its as if the game is being remade from scratch so that "under the skin", its far closer to PC Terraria. The long term advantages to this are an improved ability for Console to inherit PC features, both in terms of accuracy and efficiency. So when we say "we expect Console updates to proceed faster towards matching PC", we truly mean that; it isn't some roundabout way of slowing down PC updates to wait for Console. There is truly nothing to be gained from this, as the ReLogic development team works exclusively on the PC. They aren't employees of the Console team, and so that is a resource that is being focused on PC no matter what!

Its unfortunate that you feel this is the case, given that on a daily basis we are working on that exact thing. In fact, the update we are working on right now (1.3.6), is specifically dedicated to polish and improvement to clean up the existing experience of the game, and I myself have made a strong case for working on the balance of a number of elements in this update. All of these features will, in due time, find their way to Console as well.

So I hope you can rest assured that our intention is NOT to slow PC content, and our intention IS to continue enhancing and improving PC content. That you've understood otherwise from our posts is truly unfortunate, because it is 100% opposite of the truth. I hope my post can reassure you to that extent. :)

Its unfortunate that you feel this is the case, given that on a daily basis we are working on that exact thing. In fact, the update we are working on right now (1.3.6), is specifically dedicated to polish and improvement to clean up the existing experience of the game, and I myself have made a strong case for working on the balance of a number of elements in this update. All of these features will, in due time, find their way to Console as well.

So I hope you can rest assured that our intention is NOT to slow PC content, and our intention IS to continue enhancing and improving PC content.

I kinda forgot that while Red is working on T:OW, You are still continuing to update PC, even if you have put in, what is seemingly the "final boss" as it seems to represent "Cthulhu" who we have been seeing servants of this whole time. (Cough cough, Eye of Cthulhu and Brain of Cthulhu)
I suppose you could say I "saw" this coming and have been "thinking" about it for a while.

The only major issue in my eyes is fishing.
Fishing, Daedalus Stormbow, Summoner being worthless early and overpowered late, Mage being all-around sub-par, all flails being completely worthless, the ability to easily run into the underground jungle/corruption to get weapons that are way better than what you're supposed to have, pre-hardmode ore armor sets requiring 90 bars (!) just for a single set that gets overshadowed by better armor almost immediately, Old One's Army T3 being insanely hard for when it's unlocked and the items already being underpowered by then, expert Frost Moon being harder than the lunar event and with worse rewards, Fossil Armor being useless by the time you're able to get it, and Meteor Armor + Space Gun making the entirety of pre-hardmode a joke, among other things I don't feel like listing right now because I've gone on long enough.

Fishing, Daedalus Stormbow, Summoner being worthless early and overpowered late, Mage being all-around sub-par, all flails being completely worthless, the ability to easily run into the underground jungle/corruption to get weapons that are way better than what you're supposed to have, pre-hardmode ore armor sets requiring 90 bars (!) just for a single set that gets overshadowed by better armor almost immediately, Old One's Army T3 being insanely hard for when it's unlocked and the items already being underpowered by then, expert Frost Moon being harder than the lunar event and with worse rewards, Fossil Armor being useless by the time you're able to get it, and Meteor Armor + Space Gun making the entirety of pre-hardmode a joke, among other things I don't feel like listing right now because I've gone on long enough.
I forgot to add the entire Old One's Army to my list.

But those are all excellent and you are entirely correct.

I just want to point out as immediately as possible that this is not the case. We have not said this, nor do we intend this, nor are our posts intended to suggest this.

The goal is to minimize the differences between the versions so that the rate at which Console/Mobile can catch up with PC is "sped up". The goal is NOT to "hold up PC while Console/Mobile catches up". I cannot emphasize this anymore clearly; emphatically "NO" this is not the case. :)

I never thought this was the goal, intention, or anything like that. I thought of it more as a side-effect. Obviously you don't want this out of the game, and neither does anyone else. My concern regarding this isn't what you plan to do, it's how it could possibly be done.

In fact, the update we are working on right now (1.3.6), is specifically dedicated to polish and improvement to clean up the existing experience of the game, and I myself have made a strong case for working on the balance of a number of elements in this update.

This is something I'm very glad to hear! The biggest complaint I've always had with this game is that it's not very well balanced, and knowing that there is someone working towards fixing that is extremely refreshing to hear.

All that being said, however, my concerns about Ocram still stand. Still hoping there's a chance at a better (and more interesting) fate for it than just outright removal.

My concern regarding this isn't what you plan to do, it's how it could possibly be done.

I guess an analogy would be a bit like this;

When we create content for PC, its sort of like we blaze a trail through a field.

Under the old console system, they couldn't follow our trail; they could see our destination, but they had to make their own trail to get there, going through just as many obstacles on the way as we encountered in the first place.

Under the new console system, they can much more closely follow the trail we've already established, following more quickly and more closely to the path we took, and with less sacrifices to end up at the same place.

Except all this is being done in the world of code and such. In all honesty, its beyond my own understanding to a degree because I'm not a coder myself either. Its faster to walk to a destination than to build a road to that destination, but once that road is built, the people driving down it will be able to get there fastest of all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom